Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
hmmm...

lets say I am a person that has some object, event, or something else that has a numerical value assigned to it(maybe 1, maybe many) for something they are reporting.

Example: Number of computers "I" own,

Saved to all my parameters within statpedia already saved that is open to add to statistics, as long as I remain an anonymous user for all the data I submit about myself, others I know (with their permission), or repositories of stats I submit, companies, organizations.

I feel serious auditing issues arising from this. Some thought will be given. What is to stop someone from making up extravagant untrue statistics about themselves or others... Some type of trust value honor system might be necessary. Maybe write up some fiction detector algorithms hidden within statpedia.

Interest preferences, "I want to become part of a large statistic of something" question.

I have aqua hair, I have this, I have that. I feel like all these functions can be tied into the create polls option planned for after beta release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
Windows Update started throwing 0x8000FFFF a day ago, and now my machine is out of compliance with NAP, so my network access is limited. Luckily, I'd just sent the FY11 reports off to Mr. Henderson, so I was off the hook for the rest of the afternoon. I picked up the phone and called down the hall.

"IT, this is Ian."

Oh no, not Ian. He wouldn't know what to do with me.

I hung up and waited five minutes, then put the call back into IT.

"IT, this is Ian."

Oh hell, why not.

"Hi Ian, this is Andrea in 219. My Windows Update is giving me errors, and now it says my connection is limited and I can't get anywhere. Can you come take a look?"

"Sure thing, I'll be there in a minute."

A few minutes later, Ian peeks his head around the corner. "Come on in, Ian".

Looks like he stopped by the Coke machine on the way in. "Hi, Andrea. So, you're having problems with your updates?"

I stand up and offer my chair to him. He places the Coke on the desk, sits down, and cracks his knuckles before popping the soda open. I watch as he minimizes my Internet Explorer window, which was open to a Google search for "tantric sex".

I walk over to shut the door, then bend over the desk, giving him a straight shot down my silky top. "How's things, Ian?"

His eyes turn and look straight down my shirt, then up to me. He gets a silly grin and stammers out, "Uh, oh, OK. Just fine". Then turns back to the computer.

Seconds pass.

"Ahh, its this dang KB928731. Microsoft Word 2007 update. This thing's been a real pain, but I should have you up in a jiff."

"Cool", I say, twirling my hair. I stand up and walk over to the window, resting my butt on the frame. Ian continues typing.

"Ian, don't you ever think about all these people in this big city? Going here and there.."

Ian's eyes stay on the screen, but his fingers are lifted, hovering over they keys, as if they are hanging breathless on my next words.

"Going to jobs they hate, returning home to families they're emotionally disconnected from."

Ian instinctively reaches in his pocket and pulls out his Bianca spray to freshen his breath.

A sinister tone takes over my voice. "Doing things they..shouldn't do?"

Silence.

"Put it in the hole, Ian."

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Windows Update started throwing 0x8000FFFF a day ago, and now my machine is out of compliance with NAP, so my network access is limited. Luckily, I'd just sent the FY11 reports off to Mr. Henderson, so I was off the hook for the rest of the afternoon. I picked up the phone and called down the hall.

"IT, this is Ian."

"IT, this is Ian."

Oh hell, why not.

"Hi Ian, this is Andrea in 219. My Windows Update is giving me errors, and now it says my connection is limited and I can't get anywhere. Can you come take a look?"

Looks like he stopped by the Coke machine on the way in. "Hi, Andrea. So, you're having problems with your updates?"

I stand up and offer my chair to him. He places the Coke on the desk, sits down, and cracks his knuckles before popping the soda open. I watch as he minimizes my Internet Explorer window, which was open to a Google search for "tantric sex".

I walk over to shut the door, then bend over the desk, giving him a straight shot down my silky top. "How's things, Ian?"

His eyes turn and look straight down my shirt, then up to me. He gets a silly grin and stammers out, "Uh, oh, OK. Just fine". Then turns back to the computer.

Seconds pass.

"Ahh, its this dang KB928731. Microsoft Word 2007 update. This thing's been a real pain, but I should have you up in a jiff."

"Cool", I say, twirling my hair. I stand up and walk over to the window, resting my butt on the frame. Ian continues typing.

"Ian, don't you ever think about all these people in this big city? Going here and there.."

Ian's eyes stay on the screen, but his fingers are lifted, hovering over they keys, as if they are hanging breathless on my next words.

"Going to jobs they hate, returning home to families they're emotionally disconnected from."

Ian instinctively reaches in his pocket and pulls out his Bianca spray to freshen his breath.

Silence.

would

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Milkie Galore posted:

ian im afraid 256*(1/2)^9 isnt 0

did you factor in the human error correction algorithm?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
ianed again

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

"IT, this is Ian."

"IT, this is Ian."

Oh hell, why not.

Seconds pass.

Silence.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Statpedia Video Updated to Have more Enthusiasm: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1630905008/statpedia

Thanks again everyone for all the discussion.

Ian McLean fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 19, 2012

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
http://online-matlab.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/3rdparty/cloc-1.08.pl

that link above is just interesting reading.

This russian dude... I don't even know if his site is legal: http://mathscinet.ru/matlab/

Ian McLean fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 19, 2012

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

can i pay $10k for you to shutup

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

unixbeard posted:

can i pay $10k for you to shutup

yes

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

that was a good post

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

can we pay good will cunting $10k for more erotic computer stories

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

yes

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

i'm waiting

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

oh i guess you need my bitcoin address well it's 239q5ywahif239RTA1

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

people seemed to like this one

"I was looking through our records," she said while glancing down at her Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, "and it says here that you're a registered sex offender." I gulped down hard, and my saliva went down my windpipe which triggered a coughing fit. She licked her lips and moved closer, breathing into my ear, "I was hoping you could take a moment and offend me."

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

people seemed to like this one
you should make your own kickstarter

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug
kickstart a project for impressive suicide supplies

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

i wrote one about ulilililililililililia, posted it and then immediately went and vomited

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

since you're gonna be kickstarter rich soon can you write 'weed for tootboot' into the budget, maybe like $100/mo or something

this will help enhance shareholder value

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

Milkie Galore posted:

ian im afraid 256*(1/2)^9 isnt 0

In PHP it is.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
you have a beautiful jaw

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

why are the pretty ones always so dumb

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

that was a good thread cuntalicious

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

had a dream that someone ran a kickstarter to bring back the construx toy
they got $102 million
and ran away with it

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
hey ian how are you going to prevent widespread corruption at statpedia in the wake of the jimbo "jimbo" wales wikipedia scandal?

you might want to start looking for telltale signs of corruption with your team members. do any of them like making money? you may want to fire them immediately

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i guess it's just politics related stuff but i've seen a bunch of stats nerds nerding out about stats all over the place

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/09/17/romney-is-behind-and-the-debates-arent-likely-to-save-him/?tid=pm_business_pop

analysis of all previous presidential elections' polling results versus final outcomes

if you had a platform to centrally collect all that and some tools for working it, then that research could've been done on it

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Yeah that's why organisations like full fact exist

And theoretically journalists but hey lets just get people to tweet us their feelings instead

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

ive done some qualitative research and conclude his campaign isnt going well cause he's a shitheel

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Last I checked, the servers were blocked by traffic, and various database pulling deficiencies are also clogging the data-feed pipes.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
time to send in a cj to clean the pipes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
make sure you turn off the data first so they dont get swept away by an errant tweet

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

since you're gonna be kickstarter rich soon can you write 'weed for tootboot' into the budget, maybe like $100/mo or something

this will help enhance shareholder value

maximize, damnit, its maximize shareholder value

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
turn left kickstarter

quote:

The development of new products can be especially complex for creators and seductive to backers. Today wefre adding additional guidelines for Hardware and Product Design projects.

They are:
”Product simulations are prohibited. Projects cannot simulate events to demonstrate what a product might do in the future. Products can only be shown performing actions that theyfre able to perform in their current state of development.
”Product renderings are prohibited. Product images must be photos of the prototype as it currently exists.

Products should be presented as they are. Over-promising leads to higher expectations for backers. The best rule of thumb: under-promise and over-deliver.

We've also added the following guideline for Hardware and Product Design projects:
”Offering multiple quantities of a reward is prohibited. Hardware and Product Design projects can only offer rewards in single quantities or a sensible set (some items only make sense as a pair or as a kit of several items, for instance). The development of new products can be especially complex for creators and offering multiple quantities feels premature, and can imply that products are shrink-wrapped and ready to ship.

These guidelines are effective for all Hardware and Product Design projects that launch starting today.
http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

i guess it's just politics related stuff but i've seen a bunch of stats nerds nerding out about stats all over the place

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/09/17/romney-is-behind-and-the-debates-arent-likely-to-save-him/?tid=pm_business_pop

analysis of all previous presidential elections' polling results versus final outcomes

if you had a platform to centrally collect all that and some tools for working it, then that research could've been done on it

it really was a good opportunity, wasn't it.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
hahahaha wanna lay down the odds that kickstarted got sued by some "reseller level" elevation dock buy in "backers"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what is this posted:

hahahaha wanna lay down the odds that kickstarted got sued by some "reseller level" elevation dock buy in "backers"

what are you talking about, it's not today they introduced a number of changes to reinforce that Kickstarter isn’t a store — it’s a new way for creators and audiences to work together to make things.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"IT, this is Ian."

"IT, this is Ian."

Oh hell, why not.

Seconds pass.

Silence.

(this is brilliant, btw. ~picks horsd'oeuvre off of porcelain serving dish, adjusts monocle~)

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
more like picks up hors d'age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
more like picks up whores of-age

• Locked thread