Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Omp2 posted:

Speaking of misreading characters, romance with an alien from another universe probably isn't normal by Alternian standards. At all. That's such a weird impression that I can't even imagine where you got it.

Probably time for you to re-read the story bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ayana posted:

Impaled Eridan as Ten of Swords is just so wow. I mean, Tower is a sudden, shocking, and possibly bad change, but Ten of Swords? That card means you're just gone and hosed, good sir.

God, this is making me want to find all of my books and dig them out of storage to relearn the meanings. And it's only $155! :sigh:
Yeah, the Ten of Swords is the "you're proper hosed" card, both when drawn upright and reversed.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Those tarot cards are amazing, but if I spent any more money on this kickstarter it would expand into the realm of irresponsibility.

Maybe at least they'd consider making a poster print of all the cards lined out and selling that later on.

Omp2 posted:

Speaking of misreading characters, romance with an alien from another universe probably isn't normal by Alternian standards. At all. That's such a weird impression that I can't even imagine where you got it.

I'm pretty sure it's not normal by Earth standards, either. In fact, probably even less so here since most people believe aliens aren't real. That said, I'm not quite sure if you're being ironic about not being able to imagine some of Vriska's motivations which have been kind of spelled out in actual letters.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

CidGregor posted:

So there's no official update yet, but if you'll take a look at the kickstarter, there is a new reward tier that includes a Homestuck themed deck of Tarot Cards with loving amazing art.

Page One
Page Two
Page Three

Additionally it contains Prospit/Derse shirts, a grimdark squiddle tote, and more pins.

As if I didn't want enough of this poo poo, jesus christ Hussie.

EDIT: Also a new combo tier including all the packs so far at $605. Time for a million $612 pledges.

Interesting backstory on a few of the cards.

http://barleytea.tumblr.com/post/31716757995

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

N-thing how amazing those tarot cards are, I wish I had more disposable income at the moment. What are the chances that he sells those in the store? Seeing as they're a reward for that tier, I don't think it's super likely.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Trompe le Monde posted:

N-thing how amazing those tarot cards are, I wish I had more disposable income at the moment. What are the chances that he sells those in the store? Seeing as they're a reward for that tier, I don't think it's super likely.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's using the KS rewards to gauge demand for potential new merchandise. So i guess there might be SOME chance?

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
Oh god, I'm one of those Persona and Homestuck fans and that tarot deck is like sweet, sweet candy to me. I wasn't planning on donating any more than 15 bucks or whatever but now....
The artists did an incredible job on the cards, and the interpretations are all astute and fun. And the minor arcana are illustrated too!
Why is there so much great collaborative art things related to Homestuck?

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Trompe le Monde posted:

Seems like it would be pretty foolish not to given the highly positive reaction. Same goes for the plushies.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ShardPhoenix posted:

Seems like it would be pretty foolish not to given the highly positive reaction. Same goes for the plushies.

People are paying a LOT for this stuff; in a store they would sell at a much smaller price. And if that happened, those who paid such large sums for their limited-run poo poo would be pissed that it's not limited run any more. It's possible that such a move could squander all of the hardcore fandom's goodwill.

So of course I think it's a great idea.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

People are paying a LOT for this stuff; in a store they would sell at a much smaller price. And if that happened, those who paid such large sums for their limited-run poo poo would be pissed that it's not limited run any more. It's possible that such a move could squander all of the hardcore fandom's goodwill.

It's not like this is straight up regular sales though. I mean, it's still just rewards/incentives for donations, so thinking about all the different prices and values doesn't really work in this context.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Hasn't Hussie suggested that the scalemates will probably enter the store at some point already? If that's already happening for the scalemates then I don't see why it wouldn't for the tarot deck. (Or so I keep telling myself in the hope that it will stop me upping my pledge from "irresponsible" to "what the gently caress dude you just dropped six hundred dollars on an Internet webcomic"...)

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Hasn't Hussie suggested that the scalemates will probably enter the store at some point already? If that's already happening for the scalemates then I don't see why it wouldn't for the tarot deck. (Or so I keep telling myself in the hope that it will stop me upping my pledge from "irresponsible" to "what the gently caress dude you just dropped six hundred dollars on an Internet webcomic"...)

It seems likely. It's not like mass-producing a deck of cards will be a huge investment (depending on artist royalties i guess?) and as for the scalemates, he already has both a decent manufacturer and tons of demand. He'd be crazy not to put them in the store.

God i hope he puts them in the store. Pyralspite :3:

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
The only thing that's been explicitly stated to be a Kickstarter exclusive for sure is the signed print by Skeptic Archer. The only thing that's been suggested to potentially be available for sale again later based on the response they get is the Scalemates. Everything else is completely up in the air and could go either way.

Spend responsibly, but don't gamble on something you really want coming up in the store later, because you're basically gambling on a coin-flip.

That being said, aside from the Scalemates, the card decks (both tarot and normal) are probably the most likely items to see the store page again in the future, as cards are pretty easy to mass-produce.

Also, it's worth noting that we've now MORE THAN DOUBLED the original target goal. Way to go Homestuck fandom. :3:

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 18, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

DontMockMySmock posted:

First edition will always be special for having two XI cards in it.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

CidGregor posted:

Also, it's worth noting that we've now MORE THAN DOUBLED the original target goal. Way to go Homestuck fandom. :3:

Oh yeah, this was about making a game. All this merchandise made me forget that for a while.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I wonder, with the doubling of the goal and 16 days left, if Hussie might consider hiring a better developer? Not that we know who's developing it yet, but...

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Pastrymancy posted:

I wonder, with the doubling of the goal and 16 days left, if Hussie might consider hiring a better developer? Not that we know who's developing it yet, but...

This came up a few pages back, but they don't have anything finalized yet, including who exactly the developer is. All we know is that they were eying one in particular that they feel would be a good fit for Homestuck, and having more money available wouldn't necessarily change that fact.

At this point the thing to focus on is that every dollar going into the project now is for increasing production values, so the more we donate, the better the game will be.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So long as "increased production values" isn't code for "we get to eat fancier business lunches while the game is being made".

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

i'd hope that's part of it! most of what you spend money on to make a game is employees- with more money, you can pay higher salaries and provide more perks to get more skilled and experienced people.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Hussie is unlikely to spill any further info about the availability of these items in the store before the kickstarter is up, because that would be a great way to undermine the donations. Who's gonna fork over $200+ dollars for a set of tarot cards once he turns around and says 'these will eventually be available in the store for $30'

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

You know what? I'm disappointed that Hussie's next project will be a Homestuck game. I was looking forward to seeing something new.

This is assuming, of course, that he doesn't also start a new comic at the same time.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is assuming, of course, that he doesn't also start a new comic at the same time.

Well, he's said he'd like to try something new, not a comic, when Homestuck is done.

I guess that 'something new' is a game. And getting money for a Homestuck game is a lot easier than getting money for an unknown game, even from a popular creator.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I asked my current set of tarot cards what the consequences of my life would be if I went ahead and got the Homestuck tarot deck.

I'm preeetty sure the answer was "it does not even remotely matter, focus on your real life, stupid".

So I upped my pledge! :dance:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

Technique posted:

It's not like this is straight up regular sales though. I mean, it's still just rewards/incentives for donations, so thinking about all the different prices and values doesn't really work in this context.

The problem is that a lot of HS fans can be kind of dumb, so I definitely think there will be a segment of them that still doesn't get it and will throw a fit if/when the merchandise starts hitting the shops. But the smarter ones will be fine, and in the end I think we'll pretty much come out ahead since we'll still have the cash from the dumb ones and the good will of the smart ones.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You know what? I'm disappointed that Hussie's next project will be a Homestuck game. I was looking forward to seeing something new.

It's not like making a Homestuck game will prevent him from doing something else again new afterwards. So I guess if you're sick of HS, it's just a matter of holding onto your hat a little longer. While I know it's always pretty laughable to make predictions of how long a HussieCo production will go(even he's notoriously bad at it), I have a feeling the game will get done in much shorter order than the comic has.

After which, he'll start on Squiddles: The Movie. :unsmigghh:

Omp2
Sep 15, 2012

by T. Mascis

Midnight Raider posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not normal by Earth standards, either. In fact, probably even less so here since most people believe aliens aren't real. That said, I'm not quite sure if you're being ironic about not being able to imagine some of Vriska's motivations which have been kind of spelled out in actual letters.

Wow, I forgot about that. Although if the original poster had said "human normality" instead I might have remembered, because I assumed he meant being normal for a troll.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Midnight Raider posted:

The problem is that a lot of HS fans can be kind of dumb, so I definitely think there will be a segment of them that still doesn't get it and will throw a fit if/when the merchandise starts hitting the shops. But the smarter ones will be fine, and in the end I think we'll pretty much come out ahead since we'll still have the cash from the dumb ones and the good will of the smart ones.

I'm betting they'll have some slight differences in the second run, so your 'first edition kickstarter exclusive' cards are unique.

That, and so the really hardcore fans will buy both

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Renaissance Robot posted:

So long as "increased production values" isn't code for "we get to eat fancier business lunches while the game is being made".

Can you really get any fancier than Olive Garden? Like, where do you even go after unlimited soup or salad and free breadsticks? Is there a secret invite-only Olive Garden where they do unlimited soup AND salad? Do they serve it to you on gold plates? While you eat, are you massaged by servants whose only words in English are "Does this please you?" Where is it located? Do I just need to be nominated by somebody, or is there a challenge of bravery involved? Do I have to duel an existing member to the death and take his place? Does my nomination pass down to my sons should I fail? Let me know. Email address is in my profile.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

RandomFerret posted:

Can you really get any fancier than Olive Garden? Like, where do you even go after unlimited soup or salad and free breadsticks? Is there a secret invite-only Olive Garden where they do unlimited soup AND salad? Do they serve it to you on gold plates? While you eat, are you massaged by servants whose only words in English are "Does this please you?" Where is it located? Do I just need to be nominated by somebody, or is there a challenge of bravery involved? Do I have to duel an existing member to the death and take his place? Does my nomination pass down to my sons should I fail? Let me know. Email address is in my profile.

This is actually the new God-Tier reward tier that will be unveiled when we hit $2 million. It will cost ONE BAZILLION DOLLARS to get.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Hussie actually made a sponsorship deal with Olive Garden. The endless breadsticks are now shaped like horse hitchers and each individual leaf of lettuce in the salads are the sburb logo.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

My little brother just started his junior year of college and posted on facebook about dealing with freshman homestuck fans. I texted him asking for elaboration and this is what I got:

quote:

Most of them have just been calling out to me by Dave's name when I wear the shirt, which just seems weird

But this one dude

He just started quoting bits of dave talking about Deep Impact at me while I was waiting for the bus at <campus building name>

At first i thought he was just referencing the movie

But when i figure out he's quoting homestuck, he doesn't stop; he just keeps going

He hadn't introduced himself at all, i hadn't even spoken to him before, and I had been talking with some friends

He didn't stop until one of his friends said something to him

While he was turned away i darted off and closed my raincoat

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Trebuchet King posted:

My little brother just started his junior year of college and posted on facebook about dealing with freshman homestuck fans. I texted him asking for elaboration and this is what I got:

This reminds me of when I was in college and was really excited about being on Something Awful because it was cool to belong to a ~giant secret Internet community.~ I wore a SA grenade hoodie regularly until I ran into this rosacea golem who stalked straight at me introducing himself by saying "goon goon goon goon goon." He chanted catchphrases at me until I managed to get away. I think he's in the Army now.

When you're a certain age it's just exciting to be part of a big group, especially if it makes you feel witty and double especially if it supplies you with a bunch of zingy catchphrases to drop on people who aren't familiar with the big group you're in.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

At the college where I work, there was this girl going around telling everyone "Happy 4/13!!!" while I was walking to lunch. It was really awkward hearing her trying to explain it since nobody got the reference. :v:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I have seen people with Homestuck merchandise walking around my campus but fortunately we all do the decent thing and carefully avoid each others' eyes.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Reene posted:

I have seen people with Homestuck merchandise walking around my campus but fortunately we all do the decent thing and carefully avoid each others' eyes.

A freshman cosplayed as Terezi on 4/13 this year. I tried to avert my eyes, it just seemed too awkward to ackowledge that I knew "why" she was dressed up.

Less that $12K until new perks!

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Wow these are the most depressing and anti-social stories I've ever heard. =/

I proudly wear my god tier hoodies from fall through spring (cold-and-rainy season's pretty long in the northwest) and enjoy every single conversation it strikes up with fellow Homestuck fans. Why in the hell should I be embarrassed by something as mundane as finding a common interest with someone?

I mean yeah there are some super-fans that can be annoying but that's true of pretty much any fandom ever, Homestuck is hardly unique in that department.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

CidGregor posted:

I mean yeah there are some super-fans that can be annoying but that's true of pretty much any fandom ever, Homestuck is hardly unique in that department.

You just have to look out for those fans. Because once they know you like Homestuck....you will never hear the end of it please god shut up I get it Homestuck I like it you like it I like things other than Homestuck can we talk about anything else I will literally settle for any other conversational topic that pertains to real life no then please stop talking to me :negative:

Thankfully they're few and far between (I assume??). (Though considering the Homestuck fans (i guess that should be singular) I have met in real life, I'd be completely convinced it applied to all of them)

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 19, 2012

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Been on a bit of a Homestuck album kick lately, and all I can say is that I'm disappointed that no one has remixed the quirky "Ohgodwhat" from Vol. 3 since it came out. "Ohgodcat" off Colours B is deceptive in this regard. :geno:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I tend to view Homestuck fans like any other type of fan you meet out in the wild, a dangerous beast you should approach with caution and have an exit route planned out.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

There's saying "hey, my name's <blank>, I like dave too" or whatever, and then there's just launching into quotestuck with no warning at a perfect stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
I contemplate getting a broken record t-shirt like most people contemplate getting a tattoo.