Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRF
Oct 31, 2011

adamantium|wang posted:

If I ever get my hands on these I'm going to leave out the dino heads and necks and instead set a bare head in the recess like the Hellbrute has:

Someone on Dakka posted a mock-up of just that.

Speaking of Dakka, are all release threads that terrible? I haven't been keeping up with any of the big 40K forums, but that thread is Warseer levels of awful and I remember Dakka being ever so slightly better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
I do have to agree with one poster there that said they wished GW stayed with the aesthetic trend they established with stuff like the Brass Scorpion / Slaughterfiend, etc., especially since those design elements are evident in FW stuff too. It's easy to add organic bits and spikes and poo poo to a clean, streamlined model with a chaotic form, whereas converting in the opposite direction is a much bigger pain the rear end. I'd much rather Nurgle-ify a Dreadnaught than de-Nurgle-ify a Plague Marine, for instance.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Honey Badger posted:

I do have to agree with one poster there that said they wished GW stayed with the aesthetic trend they established with stuff like the Brass Scorpion / Slaughterfiend, etc., especially since those design elements are evident in FW stuff too. It's easy to add organic bits and spikes and poo poo to a clean, streamlined model with a chaotic form, whereas converting in the opposite direction is a much bigger pain the rear end. I'd much rather Nurgle-ify a Dreadnaught than de-Nurgle-ify a Plague Marine, for instance.

But there aren't any organic parts on any of those models?

The only one that looks organic at all is the Maulerfiend and that's only because the mass of wires that make up its neck looks sort of like muscle.

e: in fact looking at the Forgeworld Chaos things I'd say they match the aesthetic pretty closely!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 19, 2012

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

SRF posted:

Someone on Dakka posted a mock-up of just that.

Speaking of Dakka, are all release threads that terrible? I haven't been keeping up with any of the big 40K forums, but that thread is Warseer levels of awful and I remember Dakka being ever so slightly better than that.

drat, wish I had of read that before starting my own lovely mock up.

And yes, Dakka is terrible. Never read past page 2 of any thread as anything past that will never be as substantive or constructive.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ghetto wormhole posted:

e: in fact looking at the Forgeworld Chaos things I'd say they match the aesthetic pretty closely!

I'd go so far as to say that they're aesthetically closer to the Forgeworld demon engines than they are to anything in the current Citadel range.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some more WD pics (from the back page). Pretty sweet stuff.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Shrouding/Stealth question:

These abilities stack with each other but not with themselves (you can't get the same rule more than once). Does this mean that a unit that already has Shrouding is more vulnerable at 24-36" during Night Fighting than it is at 12-24"?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

For a second, just a second. I thought those were real CSM models.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Hixson posted:

For a second, just a second. I thought those were real CSM models.

The first one is kind of cool tbh.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Got a question regarding the Necron command barge as I ran into an opponent that made me second guess the way I thought it worked.

-The way I assume it works is any shooting at it targets the chariot only. Once you go into an assault, only use the Lord stats and ignore the chariot other than for wrapping in for base to base.

-The way he thought was the same for shooting, but once you're in combat, you have to attack and destroy the chariot before you can get to the lord.

My logic seems to make more sense as it says it gives the lord +1 armor save while in it. And since the chariot takes shots from shooting, that would make the +1 useless by his theory.

Also follow up question, what happens if the Lord dies in combat. Does the chariot go with him or just kinda chill next to the unit that killed them? Same goes for being sweeping advanced. I had Bloodletters run down the chariot before and not sure what should happen to it.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So, just out of curiosity, how good is a Thousand Sons allied with Tzeench demons army at this point in time, pre CSM codex release? (Not that I am anywhere close to starting said army, just curious for options since I have always enjoyed the idea of the Egyptian themed marines with the dust troops.)

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Some more WD pics (from the back page). Pretty sweet stuff.

I'm about 100% certain I've seen somebody on the old EoW forums using that second one as a counts-as titan.

jadebullet posted:

So, just out of curiosity, how good is a Thousand Sons allied with Tzeench demons army at this point in time, pre CSM codex release? (Not that I am anywhere close to starting said army, just curious for options since I have always enjoyed the idea of the Egyptian themed marines with the dust troops.)

I think this conversation was just had, and the general consensus was that Relentless kind of sucks now for vanilla marines because of the changes to rapid fire, and that Tzeentch marines were pretty much worse in all cases than Nurgle Marines. This will probably change in the new codex if you can wait the month and a half or whatever.

panascope fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 19, 2012

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007
Khorne Flakes:
Shooting goes at the chariot. In CC I believe they can choose to attack either.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just cleaned and put together the Chaos half of Dark Vengeance, and holy poo poo am I impressed with this stuff. I absolutely can't wait to see what the new plastics look like on the sprue, since the efficiency of these designs is insane. No sprue space is left unused.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

panascope posted:

I'm about 100% certain I've seen somebody on the old EoW forums using that second one as a counts-as titan.
That was my little brother, we just ripped it apart and trashed it a few days ago because it took up too much space and was pretty dumb. We got it for $1.99, so no big loss! Putting the space to use with more terrain.

ITS A TITAN

(Zoid models rule, though, for real.)

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 19, 2012

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Khorne Flakes posted:

Got a question regarding the Necron command barge as I ran into an opponent that made me second guess the way I thought it worked.

-The way I assume it works is any shooting at it targets the chariot only. Once you go into an assault, only use the Lord stats and ignore the chariot other than for wrapping in for base to base.

-The way he thought was the same for shooting, but once you're in combat, you have to attack and destroy the chariot before you can get to the lord.

My logic seems to make more sense as it says it gives the lord +1 armor save while in it. And since the chariot takes shots from shooting, that would make the +1 useless by his theory.

Also follow up question, what happens if the Lord dies in combat. Does the chariot go with him or just kinda chill next to the unit that killed them? Same goes for being sweeping advanced. I had Bloodletters run down the chariot before and not sure what should happen to it.

In combat, you can attack either the Lord or the Chariot, as you're in base to base with both.

If the Lord dies, then nothing happens. You cannot be locked in combat with a non-Walker vehicle, so there is no end of phase Pile In, Sweeping Advances, or Consolidations.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

ghetto wormhole posted:

But there aren't any organic parts on any of those models?

The only one that looks organic at all is the Maulerfiend and that's only because the mass of wires that make up its neck looks sort of like muscle.

I'd say having flesh-toned dinosaur heads on them is kind organic, but maybe that's just me. Even the flyer looking like a pterodactyl, while not being made of flesh, is kind of lame. In that vein FW's Brass Scorpion is much better realized; it suggests (albeit very heavily) a scorpion rather than being a machine with a literal scorpion stinger, claws, and a giant scorpion head glued to it. And FW's stuff is less cluttered, even if it does look like Warmachine stuff. To be honest I was more referring to the design elements in the Brass Scoprion and Hell Talon, which is the flyer I would have much rather preferred. It looks sleek and dangerous, miles better than the Stormraven, and this new flyer just looks loving goofy.

Of course opinions, etc., but I'm personally not using any of these new models with the exception of the Warpsmith if I can help it. Hopefully the new obliterator kit will look awesome since these new heavies would have to be pretty amazing to unseat them.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

In combat, you can attack either the Lord or the Chariot, as you're in base to base with both.

If the Lord dies, then nothing happens. You cannot be locked in combat with a non-Walker vehicle, so there is no end of phase Pile In, Sweeping Advances, or Consolidations.

Is the Chariot destroyed? Can it do anything without a Lord riding in it?

I barely understand Chariots, which is probably going to become a problem as I anticipate the next Daemons codex to implement them using the new rules.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

On a different note, what is the deal with Space Wolf Long Fangs? I don't see them under the SW line on GW's site, and searching for it looks like they are no longer available. Are you just supposed to buy Devastators and covert them or something? Seems weird to pull a decent plastic kit out of production.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

AgentF posted:

Is the Chariot destroyed? Can it do anything without a Lord riding in it?

I barely understand Chariots, which is probably going to become a problem as I anticipate the next Daemons codex to implement them using the new rules.

They're two different units. If you destroy the Lord and don't touch the Chariot, it still exists and can fly away later. It's just a Rhino that can charge into combat, essentially. You can even charge with a riderless Chariot, if you really want the D6 S6 HoW attacks.

If you destroy the Chariot and not the Lord, it's a bit more iffy on what happens. I play it as combat ends immediately and the Lord disembarks outside of combat.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Honey Badger posted:

On a different note, what is the deal with Space Wolf Long Fangs? I don't see them under the SW line on GW's site, and searching for it looks like they are no longer available. Are you just supposed to buy Devastators and covert them or something? Seems weird to pull a decent plastic kit out of production.

The "Space Wolves Pack" is the generic plastic kit for converting most Space Marine kits into Space Wolf equivalents. I've used it to make Grey Hunters, Blood Claws, a Rune Priest, Wolf Scouts, and Long Fangs.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

After killing two Stompas and a tank on turn one of my previous strategy, I've just come up with the new and improved apocalypse DE strategy, Titankillers 2.0.

quote:

+++ Titankillers 2.0 (1499pts) +++
+++ 1500pt Dark Eldar 5th Ed (2010) Roster (Apocalypse) +++

+ Apocalypse +

Splinter Raid Force

Selections:

+ HQ + (440pts)

* Asdrubael Vect (440pts)
(Ancient Nemesis, Fearless, Fleet, Independent Character, Master Tactician, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
Ghostplate Armour, Haywire Grenades, Obsidian orbs, Plasma Grenades, Sceptre of the Dark City, Shadowfield, Splinter Pistol, The Dais of Destruction (200pts)

+ Elites + (568pts)

* Kabalite Trueborn (333pts)
* Dracon (20pts)
* Pistol and Close Combat Weapon (15pts)
Blast Pistol (15pts), Close Combat Weapon
* Raider (95pts)
Dark Lance, Flickerfield (10pts), Grisly Trophies (5pts), Nightshield (10pts), Shock Prow (5pts), Torment Grenade Launcher (5pts)
* 9x Trueborn (218pts)
(Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain)
4x Blaster (60pts), 2x Dark Lance (50pts), 3x Splinter Rifle

* Kabalite Trueborn (235pts)
Dracon (5pts)
* 10x Trueborn (230pts)
4x Blaster (60pts), 2x Dark Lance (50pts), 2x Splinter Rifle

+ Troops + (235pts)

* Kabalite Warriors (235pts)
* Raider (80pts)
Dark Lance, Flickerfield (10pts), Nightshield (10pts)
* Sybarite (25pts)
* Pistol and Close Combat Weapon (15pts)
Blast Pistol (15pts), Close Combat Weapon
* 10x Warriors (130pts)
Blaster (15pts), Dark Lance (25pts), 8x Splinter Rifle

+ Fast Attack + (156pts)

* Reaver Jetbikes (156pts)
Close combat Weapon, Combat Drugs (Combat Drugs), 2x Heat Lance (24pts), 6x Jetbikes (132pts) (Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain, Skilled Riders), Splinter pistol

So I now have 19 Darklights and 2 Heat Lances, turn one, wherever I want to put them.

Any other suggestions?

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Chance II posted:

I've been messing around with my Eldar Corsairs tanks, going for a Sunblitz Brotherhood vibe to go with the orange/yellow/red my infantry are painted.

And I've been working on converting some units like this battle damaged Hornet,

And this Void Dreamer

These look awesome, well done!

Shosuro posted:

A local Eldar player is trying to find something to improve his army a bit, since very FAQ seems to screw his ideas more.

Can anyone do a basic rundown of the two (three?) Eldar flyers? Thinking one of them may help, but not familiar with their rules.

Someone posted a small report about the flyers but I forgot who, maybe Phyresis? I'm still figuring out a way to make the DE Flyer less evil and use it as a Nightwing, alot cheaper then getting the FW model for 80 pounds.

Domestic Robocop
Nov 2, 2011

lockdar posted:

I'm still figuring out a way to make the DE Flyer less evil and use it as a Nightwing, alot cheaper then getting the FW model for 80 pounds.

I had a go at that conversion a few weeks back.

I probably could've de-evilled it a bit more,(and some of the reshaping I did to the nose and wings might be a bit too subtle) but I'm mostly happy with how it looks now and it blends in pretty well with all of my other Eldar vehicles.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Domestic Robocop posted:

I had a go at that conversion a few weeks back.

I probably could've de-evilled it a bit more,(and some of the reshaping I did to the nose and wings might be a bit too subtle) but I'm mostly happy with how it looks now and it blends in pretty well with all of my other Eldar vehicles.
It's unevil enough and looks amazing.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Dark Apostle, sorcerer, aspiring champion (new finecast): 15,50€
Warpsmith: 23€
Codex: 39€
Raptors/warp talons: 26€ (same as sanguinary guard)
Heldrake: 59€
Forgefiend/clawfiend: 52€
Mutilators: 41€ (3 finecast)

lmao, the cc oblits are finecast, why does GW keep making finecast kits for lovely units that no one will buy like Flayed Ones? also gg at those prices :stare:

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Phyresis posted:

Dark Apostle, sorcerer, aspiring champion (new finecast): 15,50€
Warpsmith: 23€
Codex: 39€
Raptors/warp talons: 26€ (same as sanguinary guard)
Heldrake: 59€
Forgefiend/clawfiend: 52€
Mutilators: 41€ (3 finecast)

lmao, the cc oblits are finecast, why does GW keep making finecast kits for lovely units that no one will buy like Flayed Ones? also gg at those prices :stare:

So the warpsmith is not finecast?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

So the warpsmith is not finecast?

I dunno, BramGaunt often posts in a strange manner but I highly doubt it's plastic. Some more info from him:

There are only 4 psychic powers per God, sadly.
If you upgrade your Demon prince to a specific god he gains hatred for the opposed chaos god

A posessed vehicle ignores stinned an shaken on 2+, but if a unit embarks you have to roll a D6 : on a roll of 1 you lose a random member if the squad and the vehicle regains 1hp
Obliterators can morph assault cannons

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Is the Heldrake the flyer? Is that the most expensive flyer there is? Will my friends mind me making one from foam and cardstock?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Phyresis posted:

I dunno, BramGaunt often posts in a strange manner but I highly doubt it's plastic. Some more info from him:

There are only 4 psychic powers per God, sadly.
If you upgrade your Demon prince to a specific god he gains hatred for the opposed chaos god

A posessed vehicle ignores stinned an shaken on 2+, but if a unit embarks you have to roll a D6 : on a roll of 1 you lose a random member if the squad and the vehicle regains 1hp

Yeah I would be very surprised if it was plastic, I still hoped though :'(

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Anyone else suddenly lose the urge to buy a Forgefiend and Heldrake? :stonk:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Apparently the cover of the C:CSM codex is using the art of a Black Library book. It's a cool picture, but it's kind of weird that they wouldn't do something new.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Phyresis posted:

Sweet.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ahahahaha. Oh gently caress my arse. If there was one thing that I would not do when selling a new book it is risk any sort of association with Henry 'Doctor Thunder of fanfic & quite literal plagiarist' Zou.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Phyresis posted:

I have visions of feeding cultists to hungry tanks to rejuve their HP.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Ahahahaha. Oh gently caress my arse. If there was one thing that I would not do when selling a new book it is risk any sort of association with Henry 'Doctor Thunder of fanfic & quite literal plagiarist' Zou.

Henry Zou is doctor thunder? gently caress.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Angron, Dark Apostle, Raptors

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Phyresis posted:

Angron, Dark Apostle, Raptors

Hmmm Angron is good and the raptors are much better than he warp thingies. Not sure about the Paul Bearer Dark Apostle though.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Is that a Hades Autocannon in the top right of the Raptors picture? Looks like a minigun with skull barrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Sykic posted:

Is that a Hades Autocannon in the top right of the Raptors picture? Looks like a minigun with skull barrels.

I would wager so, which means that the Forgefiend we've already seen is the variant that shoots 3 S8 AP2 small blasts (terrible if it costs 200 points as rumored)

• Locked thread