Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno, I can't remember any un-dodgable attacks (because your dodge-roll thing is so long range), but plenty of unblockable attacks, and the counterattack isn't as good as just doing a normal attack string after dodging, I think.

Blocking lets you keep your combo going, and after getting the golden fleece you can totally mess up medusas by throwing their gaze attacks right back at them. And there are a couple of bosses that have attacks that have ridiculous hit-range which can be blocked.

In the original I'll admit that it wasn't as useful, but it becomes necessary in the sequels, especially on harder difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Famitsu did a little "LIVE at Tokyo Game Show!" thing just before the show opens tomorrow and showed something they weren't supposed to.

ENHANCE!

Shin Sangoku Musou SLASH

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Famitsu did a little "LIVE at Tokyo Game Show!" thing just before the show opens tomorrow and showed something they weren't supposed to.

ENHANCE!

Shin Sangoku Musou SLASH
How do you know it says "SLASH"? It could say "CRASH" or "BLASH" or "HASH" just "ASH".

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well that letter on the far end sure looks like the tail end of a capital L and I can't think of many other letters that work with LASH. Maybe Clash? This is a company that added a subtitle "Katana" to one of their games, after all.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I wonder what it is. The art they have look a lot like the RotK games but it has the Musou text and that obnoxious SLASH. Maybe some sort of cross over?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I hope it's not Slash, that would probably be another wiggly controller Wii disaster.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Dynasty Warriors Goulash. :colbert:

e: ^^^ Could be worse. Dynasty Warriors Flash, a Newgrounds exclusive. ^^^

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's apparently a tablet game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is that a new Wu girl?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

It's apparently a tablet game.

Yeah, iPhone/iPad.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151216178351163&set=a.224463376162.179499.48306691162

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Please let that make it overseas! Warriors on iPhone would be the best time-killer.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

More like phone killer when you throw it on the ground because touchscreen controls are a complete joke.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 is due out February 2013 on PS3/360/Wii U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU72vMKmBCk

NO NO NO NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? DON'T ACKNOWLEDGE HOKUTO NO KEN 2 EXISTS!

On the plus side, everyone seems to attack faster and there's more characters. Thouzer's fight seems to actually take place at the Bloody Cross Pyramid rather than some random quarry.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Why did they put Cao Ren's head on Dian Wei's body?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

On the plus side, everyone seems to attack faster and there's more characters. Thouzer's fight seems to actually take place at the Bloody Cross Pyramid rather than some random quarry.
I still think the fundamental problem with this series is that in the show, no one ever survives combat encounters with other major characters, but in the structure of a Musou game, they always HAVE to survive. So you have things like Shin walking away from combat, defeated but still alive. It is so deeply, deeply wrong.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The problem's more that they're showing up, if that makes sense.

Only in very few cases did the mains for the various factions meet, let alone fight, more than once. Vs Souther was a very special case in all respects, as was Raoh. So we get people showing up, then running off.

quote:

We get Falco. Also the possibility of Ein. I have few complaints.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Been playing Pirate Warriors for a couple of hours and.. There's actual variety in the storyline missions, I'm not sure I like it. :colbert: Sarcasm aside DW games have never done well when they try and do anything other than beating up a ton of bad guys. I do like that boss battles now even more resemble scrolling beat 'em ups by having a bunch of random goons hanging around to get punched too. And there's a lot more moves now since it's not just your normal combo string modified by when you press Triangle, each combo is it's own distinct attack.

Policenaut posted:

gently caress, oh well, had to happen.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
So by virtue of owning a 360 rather than a PS3, am I just doomed to never play another Warriors game?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

So by virtue of owning a 360 rather than a PS3, am I just doomed to never play another Warriors game?

Yes. You'll have to suck it up and buy a PS3 for Warriors games like I did. But at least there are other good games on there as well.

Policenaut posted:

I'm ready for this. I've been finishing out getting 100% on the first one lately and it's really not that bad of a game now that I've gone back to it. The fighting in the trailer is way faster, too, so that's a plus.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVHHcjL_wY

Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires is coming out around the same time as Ken's Rage 2: February 2013, exclusive to PS3.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hope it's better than 6 Empires. :colbert:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVHHcjL_wY

Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires is coming out around the same time as Ken's Rage 2: February 2013, exclusive to PS3.

I'm glad they're baking in all the DLC weapons. The edit character in that trailer is using the lighting rapier. That weapon is awesome.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Getting used to some of the new English voices for characters is taking a bit. I miss Paul St. Peter as Yuan Shao, and I miss Sima Yi's old voice as well. Though I guess Yuan Shao's old voice wouldn't work with his current character design.

So, I'm running into a bizarre problem, and I just wanted to know if my disc is hosed up or if this is a common problem. I'll get into a level, and suddenly lines that should be spoken, don't play the voice clip. In addition, enemy officers don't seem to spawn, and often the music will cut out as well. The first time it became really noticeable was the Battle of Mount Dingjun as Shu, when I went into the garrison that catches fire and you have to face Sima Yi. I ran around the garrison wondering if I'd somehow messed up, as Sima Yi was nowhere to be found and the garrison was empty. After a minute or so he finally popped in out of nowhere. This was also a problem in Fan Castle as Guan Yu, when I came in the castle after the flood attack and found no enemy officers, wasted all the peons, stood around for a minute or so and then found myself surrounded by like seven officers.

It's really become frustrating and again I'm just curious if my disc is messed up (the only copy of 7 they had was pre-owned) or if this is something other people have had happen too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay, I've gone off Pirate Warriors now, the 'Action' stages in the main storyline mode that are mostly QTEs/horrible platforming are either boring or annoying.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay, I've gone off Pirate Warriors now, the 'Action' stages in the main storyline mode that are mostly QTEs/horrible platforming are either boring or annoying.
So it's just like Fist of the North Star's story missions?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

So it's just like Fist of the North Star's story missions?

I actually thing they're worse. Seriously, there's one part that took 30 minutes real time and involved a whole two bits where you beat people up. Slowly carrying Nami up the mountain to Drum Castle, oh and her health is constantly draining when you're not near a fire and you occasionally have to put her down to solve 'puzzles'.

Edit: Also, it does the annoying thing of asking you if you want to switch to easy if you die too many times (I found this out due to a really annoying gimmicky boss fight) and if you fall too often during the platform bits it'll ask if you want to skip them. :v: Still, I suppose they have to make it kid friendly...

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 21, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If you're really into the idea of DW7: Empires, then you might be glad to know that Tecmo Koei plans to release a demo for the game next month in Japan. You'll be able to create your own general and carry them over into the final version, but it probably won't work cross-region so you can just screw around until February. The article has a bunch of screenshots from TK's stage show if you're interested.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Just to bring it up since it looks like it was glossed over, The new characters for Hyper were announced awhile back: In addition to Rachel and Abe, there's now Momiji from Ninja Gaiden and Shennong, the third of the Three Divine Sovereigns that include Nuwa and Fu Xi

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

If you're really into the idea of DW7: Empires, then you might be glad to know that Tecmo Koei plans to release a demo for the game next month in Japan. You'll be able to create your own general and carry them over into the final version, but it probably won't work cross-region so you can just screw around until February. The article has a bunch of screenshots from TK's stage show if you're interested.

What the hell is that friend network thing at the bottom, with the cats?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

abagofcheetos posted:

They're Toro and Kuro, the Playstation's mascots in Japan. It says they are doing some kind of DLC collaboration, it doesn't have any details.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

Friend Network is Vita's pseudo-PlayStation Home that's only available in Japan. The whole thing is like this grab bag of stolen gameplay ideas from 3DS' Street Pass games.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I actually thing they're worse. Seriously, there's one part that took 30 minutes real time and involved a whole two bits where you beat people up. Slowly carrying Nami up the mountain to Drum Castle, oh and her health is constantly draining when you're not near a fire and you occasionally have to put her down to solve 'puzzles'.

Edit: Also, it does the annoying thing of asking you if you want to switch to easy if you die too many times (I found this out due to a really annoying gimmicky boss fight) and if you fall too often during the platform bits it'll ask if you want to skip them. :v: Still, I suppose they have to make it kid friendly...

Yeah, the Wapol fight's third phase can eat a bag of dicks.

I can forgive the game simply for the fact that Select is dedicated to switching between Luffy putting his hat on, and taking it off.

That and Chopper is super fluffy in cut-scenes for some reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, the Wapol fight's third phase can eat a bag of dicks.

Glad it wasn't just me. So far I'm treating this the same way I did the Fist of the Northstar game, speed through the story to unlock stuff for the actually interesting part, the Another Log mode that actually plays like a Warriors game.

ConanThe3rd posted:

That and Chopper is super fluffy in cut-scenes for some reason.

I am liking this too.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I feel like I'm the only one who liked the story mode in Ken's Rage.

It probably helped that I've only read a little bit from the beginning so most of it was new material for me.

Also, screw you guys for getting Pirate Warriors before me! :arghfist::saddowns: I have to wait until Tuesday, same day as when my classes start.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Alacron posted:

I think a lot of it has to do with the Chracters being rather slow, making levels something of a slog.

Honestly, I lost patience with Ken's Rage when I ended up screwing myself out of a lot of vital upgrades via the Sphere Grid system. The PW Coin system works SO much better.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Is pirate warriors available now? Or is it :filez:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Alacron posted:

It probably helped that I've only read a little bit from the beginning so most of it was new material for me.

Also, screw you guys for getting Pirate Warriors before me! :arghfist::saddowns: I have to wait until Tuesday, same day as when my classes start.

Man I loved the Ken's Rage story mode. It was awesome to play a Musou game that felt so different by not giving you a random rear end army for no reason. One guy vs an army is way more awesome when there aren't friendly mooks standing around doing nothing. Yeah it is a slower game then Dynasty Warriors but that isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sakurazuka, is Pirate Warriors friendly to people who've never read/watched One Piece? Like does it properly go into its story? I've always wanted to get into that franchise but Jesus there's just so much manga and anime behind it that it becomes this daunting task. If Pirate Warriors can bring newbies "up to speed" to a certain point, that'd be great.

RyanManRules posted:

Is pirate warriors available now? Or is it :filez:

I believe it came out last week in Europe on Blu-ray but is out this Tuesday in North America on digital.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Sakurazuka, is Pirate Warriors friendly to people who've never read/watched One Piece? Like does it properly go into its story? I've always wanted to get into that franchise but Jesus there's just so much manga and anime behind it that it becomes this daunting task. If Pirate Warriors can bring newbies "up to speed" to a certain point, that'd be great.

I believe it came out last week in Europe on Blu-ray but is out this Tuesday in North America on digital.

If you want to go on a boring adventure and miss out on two good/great arcs (whatever your opinion) then I've heard that it does a good job telling the gist of the story. Otherwise it's well worth the read/watch. My second time going through it was just as good as the first.

Also thank you for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think a lot of it has to do with the Chracters being rather slow, making levels something of a slog.

Honestly, I lost patience with Ken's Rage when I ended up screwing myself out of a lot of vital upgrades via the Sphere Grid system. The PW Coin system works SO much better.

I'm not sure what you mean by "screwing yourself out of upgrades" since I'm pretty sure you're never locked out of anything. It's just a matter of building up enough experience to get what you want.

What I think I really liked about the Story Mode in Ken's Rage was that it was basically a classic beat 'em up with a Dynasty Warriors engine. I was such a huge sucker for that genre back on the SNES and Genesis, so seeing it in a more modern fashion was a huge treat for me.