Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

That's it. Is there a name for those type of shopping lanes?
Shōtengai (shopping streets), perhaps. We call them arcades in English. See, Arino goes to arcades even when he's not going to arcades! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

SuperMarrio posted:

I'm doing this exact same thing! See, while watching Arino play Quest of Ki, I thought to myself "those controls look like they can be finessed- he's just not using the right touch". It reminded me of something like Trials HD or N+, where getting your best scores happen when you're in The Zone.

Definitely got the N+ vibe from it too. Going level by level it took a few hours, and level 98 took me 45 minutes. I got the key once 25 minutes in, but there's a loving worm that comes out of the top floor out of nowhere. It's so much of a dick move that I laughed my rear end off, then spent another 20 minutes dying endlessly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

makere posted:

The DVD would've been released today if it hadn't been for the delay. :smith:

Where you see a delay, I see a chance for a volume 2, and 3 and many more besides!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

GidgetNomates posted:

My favorite part is how almost all of them just answer "games are life itself..."

I do wonder what the deal is with that. Exact same wording, too..

But I think it's only these three that says it. They just... all happened to be in the three interview episodes we've released.

What do you find most interesting about the Season 1 episodes? Finding out about the history of the video game industry, or the people themselves? I personally like learning about their approach when creating games.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 19, 2012

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Drop in a token, look at a duck

zari-gani posted:

But I think it's only these three that says it. They just... all happened to be in the three interview episodes we've released.

Three? drat, I must have missed one somewhere along the way. Pokemon, Capcom... is there another subbed first season episode out there in the wild?

It's been about five or six episodes since I posted, so here's my obligatory "you-all-are-too-kind-thanks-for-keeping-us-in-GCCX" closing. I promise by the next time to find a better way to say it, if only so it reflects just how genuinely awesome I think our subbers are.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

What do you find most interesting about the Season 1 episodes? Finding out about the history of the video game industry, or the people themselves? I personally like learning about their approach when creating games.

I think some of the game industry stuff like the original ideas that led to innovating or changing the way certain things are done are interesting, but I like learning about the designer philosophies more.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

zari-gani posted:

I agree, because (being in the business) they are all so, so different from any approach to game design that I've ever experienced. I'm not sure if it's an East / West difference, or a big company / small company difference, but every time they would describe their game design methods I got equal parts :aaa: and :psyduck:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Man, I really enjoy seeing these types of episodes. Hearing about how these video game developers started out distributing their products as a mail order service and doing the related work as a family is very endearing. It makes me happy to see how far they've come. I also love seeing game developers that actively play the games they produce and take joy in them, that just shows that they really love their work. Learning about the video game industry's past and learning about the people is just super interesting all around.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I love both aspects. Actually I kinda wish they did more of these and covered a good portion of the industry. It really does paint a good picture of what it used to be, what they were doing all this for, and even show you how they're still having fun!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Joshuadel posted:

Three? drat, I must have missed one somewhere along the way. Pokemon, Capcom... is there another subbed first season episode out there in the wild?

It's been about five or six episodes since I posted, so here's my obligatory "you-all-are-too-kind-thanks-for-keeping-us-in-GCCX" closing. I promise by the next time to find a better way to say it, if only so it reflects just how genuinely awesome I think our subbers are.

That would be Koei, released a couple days ago.

http://alluvion.org/download.php?info_hash=9c7aba3ea1a70165dc1ecb82b634e7866c226e1f

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zari-gani posted:

You can read the history of the industry anywhere, getting a first hand account of it is another thing entirely. Hearing what they think about play and fun, especially on things from before the industry got all navel gazing is pretty rad.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
A dude on my steam friends list has that picture of arino-kirby from the dream course episode and it makes me laugh every time I see it. If you're reading this ty.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Their stories about getting into the game industry were really interesting. It's a young enough industry that a lot of them really got in on the ground floor. I was surprised to learn that the creator of Pokemon started off as an arcade game zinester.

The Koei guy was really cool, too. Seeing how much he loved his own games was just :3:.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

zari-gani posted:

Sort of a nontopical question, but why do they type out Kou Shibusawa's name in katakana?

EDIT:

To Chi Ka posted:

IIRC, Kou Shibusawa isn't his real name.

And that seems to be the case, according to internet. Thanks for the clarification.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 19, 2012

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

Here's a "what's that song" question: during Zombie Nation, when the title with Arino's face flying around as the head of the game appears after other segments, what is that? It sounds like Somewhere Over The Rainbow with horns, but I can't find that specific version of it.

To Chi Ka
Aug 19, 2011

jyrque posted:

Sort of a nontopical question, but why do they type out Kou Shibusawa's name in katakana?

IIRC, Kou Shibusawa isn't his real name.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Drop in a token, look at a duck

Thanks for the link! Not sure how I missed the post a couple pages back...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I like that it's a view into game companies that just don't get that much behind the scenes examination in the west. Yeah, they're tightly managed promotional puff pieces but they still give some insight that generally isn't available.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
From Discotek webpage:

"If you ordered Retro Game Master from the Discotek web site, we are sending out all of the pre-orders tomorrow (Wed the 19th of September)"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

makere posted:

From Discotek webpage:

"If you ordered Retro Game Master from the Discotek web site, we are sending out all of the pre-orders tomorrow (Wed the 19th of September)"

Nooo, why did I order from Amazon? :smith:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

ImpAtom posted:

Nooo, why did I order from Amazon? :smith:

$8 cheaper and free shipping?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

This thing I'm translating right now makes a brief reference to a TV show for car enthusiasts Arino once hosted. It ran for one season, between GCCX seasons 1 and 2.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Garage Banchou - It's like Game Center CX for cars

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zari-gani posted:

This thing I'm translating right now makes a brief reference to a TV show for car enthusiasts Arino once hosted. It ran for one season, between GCCX seasons 1 and 2.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Garage Banchou - It's like Game Center CX for cars

We have come full circle.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

zari-gani posted:

Presumably it failed because it didn't feature Arino wrecking expensive cars over and over until he got the hang of it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

What do you find most interesting about the Season 1 episodes? Finding out about the history of the video game industry, or the people themselves?

I like seeing the different office decors they set up for the interviews. Looking around the Satoshi Tajiri interview room was fun.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

That's part of a Mazda rotary engine on the tool cabinet! Actually, looking at the bottom text the katakana reads "Savannah" which was what the old RX-7 (SA22 and FC3S) used to be known by as well.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 19, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Zeether posted:

That's part of a Mazda rotary engine on the tool cabinet! Actually, looking at the bottom text the katakana reads "Savannah" which was what the old RX-7 (SA22 and FC3S) used to be known by as well.

Good eye! Each episode focused on a certain car, and they'd feature enthusiasts of said car. I got that screenshot from here, taken by a guy whose Savannah was on the show. I'm not sure why Arino was one of the hosts since he doesn't seem to know too much about cars.

vvv Would he fill the James May role?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 19, 2012

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
What if they did an actual Top Gear Japan with Arino and two other guys. One can dream.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The interview with the pokemon creator was extremely :3:

His games really reflect his personal whimsy, and that's a rare thing (and probably one reason they're still so popular today).

It was fascinating listening to his creative process too, it was much more about experimenting with certain feelings and concepts and then seeing how to fit those within the framework of a game, rather than something so banal as 'we're going to make an rpg'.

I wish I'd had the chance to meet some of that team, even through an interpreter. Many moons ago, I worked at Nintendo HQ here in the states during the early Pokemon days, but I never had the opportunity to meet with the japanese team.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC-x0JXmWSw

Was this not posted here? I don't remember seeing it posted here. How was this not posted here?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Not going to lie. I broke out in a goofy grin when I saw him speaking in English. Wonder how long it took him to get that good?

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

absolutely anything posted:

Was this not posted here? I don't remember seeing it posted here. How was this not posted here?

Could he have made it any more obvious he was reading from a cue card? We need more English Arino.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

RadicalR posted:

Not going to lie. I broke out in a goofy grin when I saw him speaking in English. Wonder how long it took him to get that good?

I'm not sure he understood a single word he said.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

He doesn't seem to even notice when he's speaking his own name.

This was posted a while back, but only for direct download.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That lady photographing him with her cellphone leaping out of the way when the camera swung around. :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ahahaha, holy poo poo that was great

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010
http://denshadego.net/card/index.html

I want to see Arino play this kid sized Densha de go.
Friend of mine reported these in most of the Taito arcades a few months ago, but they have since disappeared.
Perhaps a location test, but my friend had an inch thick stack of cards before they were removed.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

I think Random Stranger uploaded it and posted the download link here a week ago here, then someone put it on Youtube.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I had a go on one of those a few weeks. It was a bit embarrassing to sit at something so small. The game plays more like a music game (i.e. you have to move the lever in time with on-screen indicators) so it didn't quite have DDG's tense train-stopping action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mobius posted:

I'm not sure he understood a single word he said.

H's and F's, L's and R's, 'u's popping up where they shouldn't: There likely wasn't a single letter from the English alphabet on his cue cards. I imagine a promo like this is something you dedicate ten, fifteen minutes to between shooting GCCX and every other gig Arino does.