Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bocc Kob posted:

How much does a Japanese PS3 game cost at launch, plus the cost of shipping to the US? :ohdear:

Game itself is a little over $100, shipping is another $5 to $20 depending on the shipping time you choose at the import stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Watching this photo op is so awkward and awesome.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I guess all segments at the Sega booth end with a photo op.

The next Yakuza 5 segment will be tomorrow at around the same time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I like the blue one.

Black suit guy looked so uncomfortable being surrounded by them.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's in the swag box?? I still got my Yakuza 1 fan from TGS 2006. Looks like they stepped up their game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yechezkel posted:

Game itself is a little over $100, shipping is another $5 to $20 depending on the shipping time you choose at the import stores.
Naw, most games can be had for under $100, including shipping. It's just the odd game that's 8000 yen in Japan instead of 6 or 7. Yakuza 5 will be...poo poo, 8800 (MSRP anyway, Amazon.jp has it for 7). Okay, forget what I said.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 20, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the trailer had Yakuza 5 priced at 8800 yen, which is around $112 as of now. But Japanese retailers always price games under MSRP, right?

Playasia has it at around $107 right now.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Here are the trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcr5Ya9J0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2RZE4Rawb8

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
If this does not localize, I will be incredibly upset.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Shogi

Bocc Kob posted:

Saejima fights a bear with his hands. Of course he does. :allears:

Bocc Kob posted:

WAS THAT A CHICKEN RACING MINI-GAME?!

Yechezkel posted:

Wow, Kiryu drove between two trucks sideways!

AKA Bozo posted:

And Virtua Fighter arcade???

Kiryu with a rickshaw food cart?

Air hockey! :hellyeah:

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 20, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yechezkel posted:

What game is this?
Air hockey! :hellyeah:

You missed the next shot, with her looking all sad with her boobs hanging out. Oh Japan...

I wanna know what weird set of circumstances led to Kiryu driving taxis and pushing rickshaws.

edit: oh, it's not a rickshaw, it's a food cart. In another shot you briefly see Kiryu making ramen.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 20, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Alright, here you go:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yechezkel posted:

What game is this?

Shogi

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I saw Majima! :swoon:

Why can't the release of this game be a worldwide one? I don't want to wait! I'd actually pre-order this drat game. :(

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, the one game I never played on 4.

One more photo:
Apparently, this says Goro Majima is dead? :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yechezkel posted:

One more photo:

$100 bucks says he faked his death to escape from someone he pissed off and at some point you have to beat him up to get him to realize he needs to face his opponent like a man.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yechezkel posted:

One more photo:

Yep, it says he was murdered in Sapporo and the police are still searching for his killer.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Wasn't Shogi in Yakuza 2? I never really noticed it gone in 3 and 4 as I don't know how to play it but it seems weird that it was removed (and now being re-added).

Edit: Never mind, it was in 4. I just never noticed it.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 20, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Official site has all of the mini-games in Yakuza 5 and someone's translations of them all.

Virtua Fighter 2 confirmed to be in the game.
Some sort of first-person snowball fight with other people around Roman columns.
Stand-up comedy with some guy and Haruka.
Saijima can sing karaoke while drinking scotch at the same time.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I watched those trailers and my voice dropped several octaves. :)

5 looks loving awesome, bearing in mind we've got the HD collection of 1 and 2 coming out at some point, and I haven't played the other games on PS3 means I've got a ton to catch up on! :D

This series is amazing.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

precision posted:

$100 bucks says he faked his death because he was bored and it sounded like fun.
Just gonna... edit that for accuracy, there we go.

But seriously, unless I see a body, I ain't buying it. Majima may be too crazy to live, but he's also too awesome to die.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tupperwarez posted:

Just gonna... edit that for accuracy, there we go.

But seriously, unless I see a body, I ain't buying it. Majima may be too crazy to live, but he's also too awesome to die.
One of God's own prototypes, some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If Goro actually is dead I... I don't know, man.

I would shed manly tears.

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.

precision posted:

If Goro actually is dead I... I don't know, man.

I would shed manly tears.

There is absolutely no way he is dead. Kazuma will open a manly time portal and find him.

I am so loving excited for this game. If and that seems to be a small if, it doesn't come to the states I am going to tape my friend to a chair and have him translate for me.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Chicken-racing, Cooking Mama Kiryu, and Haruka manzai make it day 1 purchase. I'll learn to translate as I go! :black101:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Samurai Sanders posted:

One of God's own prototypes, some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production.
"As your lawyer, I advise you to COME GET SOME KAZZY!" *waves knife around like a goddamn madman while side-stepping at Mach 5*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tupperwarez posted:

"As your lawyer, I advise you to COME GET SOME KAZZY!" *waves knife around like a goddamn madman while side-stepping at Mach 5*

"Oy, Daejima - how much do they pay you to gently caress that polar bear?"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

precision posted:

"Oy, Daejima - how much do they pay you to gently caress that polar bear?"

We were somewhere around Kamurocho, on the edge of the city, when the HEAT began to take hold.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Finally decided to get into the Yakuza series, so I bought Yakuza 3 today. I've already watched the two catch-up videos (in addition to the LP of 1 Jamesman did ages ago, as well as Egomaniac's Kenzan LP) so I've got as much of a grasp of the characters and story dynamics as I would imagine I could get short of actually playing the original two games. I'm just wondering if there is anything I should know before I get into #3?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kalsco posted:

Finally decided to get into the Yakuza series, so I bought Yakuza 3 today. I've already watched the two catch-up videos (in addition to the LP of 1 Jamesman did ages ago, as well as Egomaniac's Kenzan LP) so I've got as much of a grasp of the characters and story dynamics as I would imagine I could get short of actually playing the original two games. I'm just wondering if there is anything I should know before I get into #3?
Listen to your absolute manliest inner voice, it will tell you what to do.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Kalsco posted:

This is exactly how I did it, and IMO the most important thing on a first play through is to have fun. Complete whatever side quests you want and do story whenever you feel like it, and don't worry about 100% because you can do anything you miss in Premium Adventure when you're done.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kalsco posted:

I'm just wondering if there is anything I should know before I get into #3?

Don't use weapons because weapons are not manly. Pick up bicycles instead.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I'm another newbie to the series. Sam's Club had Yakuza 4 for fifteen bucks the other week, and, well...who can resist at that price? When I got home I found out that this game is awesome. One minute I can pretend I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 4, and the next I can be playing table tennis with my hostess girl.

I seriously love that game. I'm going to look into 3 and Dead Souls sometime since I've seen those around at stores, then maybe 1 and 2 if we never get that HD collection. I need to give some more recent SEGA games a shot. I hear Binary Domain is great so that may be where I look when/if this Yakuza kick ends.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MykonosFan posted:

I seriously love that game. I'm going to look into 3 and Dead Souls sometime since I've seen those around at stores, then maybe 1 and 2 if we never get that HD collection. I need to give some more recent SEGA games a shot. I hear Binary Domain is great so that may be where I look when/if this Yakuza kick ends.

Binary Domain is something. It's hilarious, and the gameplay is serviceable.

But no seriously it's loving hilarious for mostly completely unintentional reasons.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

precision posted:

Binary Domain is something. It's hilarious, and the gameplay is serviceable.

But no seriously it's loving hilarious for mostly completely unintentional reasons.

Binary Domain is great for all the same reasons Earth Defense Force is great.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gutcruncher posted:

Binary Domain is great for all the same reasons Earth Defense Force is great.
Unless you can roam around freely and level entire cities with hundreds of bizarre weapons, then no, it isn't.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The next Yakuza 5 segment at Sega's Tokyo Game Show booth is going to be on in 10 minutes.

Streaming links again:
ustream:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/segatgs2012
http://tgs.sega.jp/2012/sega-studio/ust.html

nico stream, no need to log in: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv106469801

Look at the poofy pants on the host. :stonk:

Wait, was that Majima's dead body under the covers passing by Haruka in the trailer?

Nothing new was shown in the first 15 minutes. They're just talking about the voice actors and the opening song.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 21, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Was that guy Japanese Emeril?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, he's a celebrity chef in Japan playing as himself in the game.

30 minutes and still nothing new except for the interview with the chef.
It's over. Nothing new. :( No awkward photo-op as well.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

MykonosFan posted:

I'm another newbie to the series. Sam's Club had Yakuza 4 for fifteen bucks the other week, and, well...who can resist at that price? When I got home I found out that this game is awesome. One minute I can pretend I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 4, and the next I can be playing table tennis with my hostess girl.

Glad you enjoyed it. You'll actually get more out of 3's story now that you've come to know and love Kiryu than if that was your first entry to the series. But note that 3 is missing a couple of minigames from 4 (if you were looking to date the hostesses and actually talk with them).*

Dead Souls is a very different kind of game, probably only worth playing if you're totally in love with the Yakuza universe. It's not deserving of all the hate it's gotten, but it's still not a strong game on its own merits.

* Hilariously, a lot of the hostess dating content is still in Yakuza 3, it just gets rammed in the weirdest places. Like you'll go to grab a burger at a fast food joint, and a weirdly overdressed girl will hit on you and ask you out. Then you fight goons and go to a love hotel with her. No, really.

• Locked thread