Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

This name seems pretty popular.

http://www.imdb.com/find?q=gaylord&s=all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cmdr Tomalak
Aug 13, 2007

How long shall we stare at each other across the Neutral Zone?
My friend's last name is Butt. It's apparently fairly common in the Maritime provinces.

Also knew a girl from Ghana named Fanny; she went by Ashley in Canada for awhile, then went back to being called Fanny.

My friend from elementary school's father was named Ronald McDonald.

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar
My boss' name is Tippereth. Yeah I don't know either.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Lullabee posted:

The worst had to be a tiny white girl named Chevrolet. She went by Chevy.

There was a girl who transferred into my elementary school in fourth grade whose name was Chevelle. She was quite proud of the fact that she was named after a car model; we never quite understood why.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

I posted:

What sort of person named their kid 'Mittens'?

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but his full name is Willard Mitt Romney. People call him Mittens to poke fun at him.

Just remembered I work with a girl named Memory.

Around here it's not uncommon for older people to have double names like Paul Paulson, Bill Williamson, Pete Peterson, etc.

I look at birth announcements every now and then, and see what friends and friends-of-friends name their babies, and Jazzlynn is becoming popular for some weird reason.

When I was doing OB clinicals, I had a patient who named one of her daughters Love. I wondered what Love's siblings thought about that.

Plastic Megaphone
Aug 11, 2007
No more credit from the liquor store.
My maternal uncle's name is Lawrence Barry. Larry Barry. Junior, actually. And he didn't get the worst of it.

My mother's first name is Marian.

Plastic Megaphone has a new favorite as of 07:41 on Sep 20, 2012

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Penis Chan. ("It sounds like Dennis", he insisted.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Koivunen posted:

Around here it's not uncommon for older people to have double names like Paul Paulson, Bill Williamson, Pete Peterson, etc.

I went to elementary school with a Robert Robertson. He was...different.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You know what they say...

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I love surnames with an obvious sense of place. Names like Sigurdarsdottir, Hammerschmidt and pretty much anything from Southeast Asia (Choterungruangkorn stands out in my past experiences).

I also enjoy me some hippie names. I've met a Stormy Rain (first name), twins named Monet and Matisse and a girl with the last name Rainbowlight. Hippie names are cool. (No backward spellings, please.)

Two of my favorite surnames I've encountered over the years are Hell (the progeny of whom was developmentally disabled) and a Native American family Little Soldier Mike.

I've also heard a story about a baby named Nosmo King (named in the hospital, natch) and I'm willing to admit wool may have been pulled over my eyes at first.

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008

Lady Arcadia posted:

I think the weirdest one I met was Melisandre, like the name of the character from GRRM. As far as I know that's where that name originated.

It's actually just a really old name, pretty much falling into same category as Dorcas and Myfanwy. Melisandre is an old French and German name derived from words for "strong" and "industrious". I'm not saying that it wouldn't be awkward to be named any of these things in modern America, though. Especially Dorcas. That's just begging for your little baby girl to have permanent emotional scarring.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

bringmyfishback posted:

I think Dorcas is the more usual spelling, meaning deer-like, or something similar...?

Yeah, gazelle.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Sagebrush posted:

I went to elementary school with a Robert Robertson. He was...different.

On a similar note, I knew a guy at university called Cormack McCormack.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My brother knew a guy named Zebulon
A bit old fashioned and unusual but by no means invented. There's even a mountain named after a Zebulon Pike.

liquid courage posted:

Oh, and a kid my little brother went to school with named Atilla, you know, like the ruler of the Hun empire?
It's a popular name in Hungary and Turkey.

Granted, most Hungarians sound like super villains to English-speaking ears anyway.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Back when I worked in a psych lab, part of my job was doing cold calls to ask random people if they were interested in participating in studies. We got our list of people from one of those semi-sketchy companies that collects names and addresses if you sign up for anything online. So naturally, we got a lot of fake names.

One day a Tori Amos popped up on my screen. My coworker goes "Yeah right," and calls the number, sarcastically asking if she can speak to Mrs. Tori Amos. The guy on the other end tells her just a moment, and then a woman comes on. "Hi, this is Tori."

Yep, it was her real name. She came by a few days later to participate in one of the studies, and she had a pretty good sense of humor about her name.

The best part was that the next name on the list was James Brown. I never did find out if he was real, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I knew a James Brown in junior high. In the 21st century.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
My middle school music teacher's first name was Gay. One day a UPS guy interrupted our class and announced to the room full of sixth-graders "Hi, I'm Zippy. Are you Gay?" I didn't think we'd ever stop laughing.

One of my wife's friends is named Lindsey, and she's dating a guy with the last name of Lindsey. They've been together for a couple years, and I'm really pulling for them to go ahead and tie the knot just so I'll know a Lindsey Lindsey.

My friend is a lower school teacher and she told me this so I can't vouch 100% to its authenticity, but I don't see it on Snopes or anywhere on Google so I'm going to go ahead and post it: one of the kids that a colleague had was named One-Twenty. The teachers kept wondering what it meant and where it came from, but nobody asked the kid because they didn't want to make him uncomfortable. Finally, on Parents' Night, one of the teachers worked up their nerve and asked the parents why they had picked such an unusual name for their only child. The father suddenly had a really solemn look on his face, and explained that before his wife got pregnant, he was addicted to drugs and an alcoholic. But, as soon as he found out that he was going to be a father, he "did a complete one-twenty" and turned his life around.

Part of me wants to know if that's true or not, but most of me is happy not knowing.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I've worked with Charity Butts and My Dong. Also met an old black woman named Ruby Weiners. My mother taught siblings Alphabet and Bluejeans.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
One of my friends went out with a guy last year who was called by his parents REALITY.

Also don't poo poo on Aiden too much :( it's not my fault most people can't spell.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I just remembered how stoked I was when I got my 10th grade class schedule and found that my American history teacher was "A. Merriken."

Yes, it was real; her first name was Anne and Merriken was her married name, and it was a total coincidence that she taught American history. IIRC, she didn't find it funny, either.

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

A bit old fashioned and unusual but by no means invented. There's even a mountain named after a Zebulon Pike.

It's a popular name in Hungary and Turkey.

Granted, most Hungarians sound like super villains to English-speaking ears anyway.

People in Turkey (not sure about Hungary) also name their kids Cengiz (Genghis Khan) and Taymur (Tamerlane). There are also people named Tayfun (typhoon), Volkan (volcano) and Deniz (sea).

OMG BYZANTIUM has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Sep 21, 2012

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I used to know two brothers called Beer (Bear) and Wolf.

Indentured Servant
Aug 31, 2008
"Bon-Chrétien Gigučre,", which is literally "Good-Christian Gigučre"

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Flor Flower (literally Flower Flower) and Nathaniel Jackson Perez - exotic names and common surnames don't mesh together goddamnit. :argh:

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
I went to primary school with girls called Tui and Bailey, since their parents were drinking Toohey's beer and Bailey's Irish Cream when they were conceived. My little brother went to primary school with Rainy Webber.
There was an announcement in the paper for the birth of Diammond Sparckle Zebediah Lily Smith (seriously, I have witnesses). She was the 11th child. I guess after 10 you just run out of inspiration.
I also know a Caiban, which is the mirror of his place of conception - Nabiac.

Grey Dynamite
Sep 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I knew a James Brown in junior high. In the 21st century.

I too knew a James Brown at school. He was extremely pale, gawky looking, scientifically minded and possessed of no funk whatsoever. I always joked he was the anti-matter version of the "real" James Brown.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

People in Turkey (not sure about Hungary) also name their kids Cengiz (Genghis Khan) and Taymur (Tamerlane). There are also people named Tayfun (typhoon), Volkan (volcano) and Deniz (sea).

Deniz seems to be popular among Turkish people in the US, probably because it's so close to Dennis.

Vocabulary words as names:

Pixel
Panache
Symphony Evanessence
Vanity Safire
Choice Jalyle
Solar Elizabeth
Reason, her sister was named Sequoia
Coriander
Clearance Bryce
Dreamer LaJoy
Theory Adonnis
Kamikaze
Diamond Sapphire
Knowledge Ivory Adrian - there's another one named Nasean Knowledge
Vendetta
Lily Loyal - sounds like a character out of one of those Snively Whiplash cartoons
Density - someone got Destiny wrong. I'm hoping this was a typo
Naturelle - future nudist
Ambiance
Helvetica Yves - Someone spends way too much time in Word
Newby James
Credenza Julia
Trawler
Spirit
Midlane
Burst - I hope not
Celebrity Xelena
Elf Paul
Khemistry Renee
Revelation Ilene
Dairy Allis

Zillion Artaques Tyrone
Trillyan Terrel

Shanty
Clever
Envee

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
At one of my old jobs we had a semi-regular customer who would come through and use her WIC checks for her 3 kids. They were named Shadow, Ocean, and Dove Whisper.

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
The last place I worked, I kept a list of bad names, the one that still sticks out was Semen Goroshit.

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Went to school with a kid named Lucky Crisp.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
A brief part two on names pulled from the dictionary:

Siblings Cyncere, Latifah, Cashmere, Chanel and Classiq. At least Latifah got a real name. I'm kind of a name snob.
Siblings Lyric-Monet Ariadne, Story, Mystery and Batai
Siblings Legend and Legacy
Valor
Now Samantha - I wonder what she was before?
Righteous La'Daneon Rowyale
Leche Mercedes - translates to Milk Mercy
Hacienda Serabei - they named their kid House
Roman Silk

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Bonster posted:

A brief part two on names pulled from the dictionary:

Siblings Cyncere, Latifah, Cashmere, Chanel and Classiq. At least Latifah got a real name. I'm kind of a name snob.

You just reminded me. There was a story in our (very) local paper about a family in town who have five living generations. They're lower income and obviously its a chain of the mothers getting pregnant as teenagers. What I found interesting was that they all had the trendy names of their day. The newborn was named Paris Chanel. The mother is named Jade. I can't remember the rest of them though, but the grandma is 38 and the great-great-grandma was 76, so whatever was the Paris or Jade of their day is probably their name.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

One Swell Foop posted:

On a similar note, I knew a guy at university called Cormack McCormack.

I know a Dermot McDermott.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Koivunen posted:

I dated a guy named Arian, pronounced like Aryan. Never did find out why he was named that.

My name is Arjen, which derives from Ariën and/or Adrianus. It means "from Adria", a place near Venice. It can also refer to the latin word ater, which stands for dark because of the dark sand the coast of Mare Adriatico has.

I can assure you it's a common name in the Netherlands and it has nothing to do with being blond and having blue eyes. Which I do, but that's not the point.

Grawl has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Sep 22, 2012

Jesa
Dec 3, 2007

beep beep
At a previous job one of my regular customers had a daughter that she named Saylor. This woman's last name was Cox. She named her daughter Saylor Cox.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jesa posted:

At a previous job one of my regular customers had a daughter that she named Saylor. This woman's last name was Cox. She named her daughter Saylor Cox.
Hopefully she doesn't end up joining the navy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Worked with a guy who legally changed his name to Inu Dogpaws.

Yes, I worked in a call center.

Yes, he was a furry and would wear a plush tail and dog-fur slippers when he could get away with it.

Yes, he was ginger.

Yes, he spent every phone call explaining that yes, his real name was Inu Dogpaws.

An old friend had kids, all boys. The first was named Synndarius. The second was named after a video game character. The third and last was named Haven.

Another high school friend had twin girls. Babies are named Willow (fairly normal) and Elora, which is the princess baby from the movie Willow.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.
I know a married couple who both have the same first name (Shannon) but the wife kept her maiden name because it's bad enough to share the first, imagine if they both had the same first and last name.

I also worked with a guy name "Wally Whacker".

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
I've worked with a lady Mignon. You know, like the filet.

Through work I've also encountered a man who told me about his son, Bo. I had to look up this son's name for him for a business transaction, and lo and behold it's actually spelled "Beau". Beau has two definitions:

1. A boyfriend or male admirer.
2. A rich, fashionable young man; a dandy

The man named his son after a name that means boyfriend and I find it incredibly creepy.

Through a "vote for my kid" contest I'm helping a friend with I also ran into these names:
Ja'Nyah
Tank
Sylar - young enough to have indeed been named after the Heroes character, who took his name from a watch company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hormones
May 9, 2009
I used to work in a daycare and we had all kinds of fuckery.

-Three sisters (not triplets) named Lyric, Harmony and Melody
-Triplets named Summer, Winter and Autumn
-Sisters: Faythe and Destinee

Then a mishmosh of Griffin, Rider, Hunter and the like.

I also went to high school with twin girls named Lynzee and Jezka.

Ughh.