Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I liked that episode, but I didn't like any of the cars for their built purpose. Cops don't need hot rods. Cops need something easy to work on with enough power to do their job, not to show off in a twin turbo AWD rocket or whatever.

Police departments buy those from the dealer brand new, pay shops like mine to install all their bullshit cop stuff, drive the poo poo out of it for two years, pay my shop again to strip all their cop bullshit out of it, then auction it off for peanuts. Completely dumb system.

The most I'd allow is to let highway patrol have cruisers with a little more high end power, since they cover enormous stretches of open high speed corridors and might have to respond to a call 70 miles away.

The crown vic was a perfect squad car, gently caress all the new generation poo poo.

Still wanna drive that caprice, though. 'Vet engine in a malibu? :getin:

DrPain fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KozmoNaut posted:

Why should a police car look aggressive?

I'd prefer police officers (and their vehicles) to be friendly and curteous, but firm and decisive. Not aggressive.

The police should be nice, but I think a police car should look aggressive.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

KozmoNaut posted:

Why should a police car look aggressive?

I'd prefer police officers (and their vehicles) to be friendly and curteous, but firm and decisive. Not aggressive.

You must not be American.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No one wants to load up an action movie and a bad guy is being chased in a boring Peugot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Crikey, it's the Albanian rozzers!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

No one wants to load up an action movie and a bad guy is being chased in a boring Peugot.

*cop rides the diesel's torque band in Peugeot and catches crim in a Honda*

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cojawfee posted:

You must have never watched Ronin :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITS5GkkqgEQ

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

I really like the chases in the Bourne movies too. The first one in particular.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Cojawfee posted:

Depends if the chase is in a Smokey and the Bandit flick or a Bourne/Ronin one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Bourne movies took place in Europe, those cars fit there. Europe is tightly packed, they had small cars. American movies on rural roads need giant, American muscle cars.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Remember when James complained about all the manufacturers using the Nurburgring to test their cars?

:psyduck:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z91z2NWy5yU&t=155s

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Counterpoint: That is in no way a boring Peugeot.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Jeremy Clarkson (@jcrclarksonesq)
2012-09-17 3:00 PM

Tonight, when you are asleep, a pan European Top Gear race begins. Me in a car. Hammond and May on public transport. Wish them bad luck.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Only 4-5 months until it airs, I can't wait.

Car VS other transport is always great. I think the only time the car lost was the trip across London.

edit: well I guess the car also lost to bobsleds and skeleton racers and rock climbers and a tall guy walking across a muddy river. And dirtbikes and skydivers and ok never mind.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Has the car ever lost when it's Clarkson driving? Clearly the excuse is May and Hammond are rubbish.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

CannonFodder posted:

edit: well I guess the car also lost to bobsleds and skeleton racers and rock climbers and a tall guy walking across a muddy river. And dirtbikes and skydivers and ok never mind.

inklesspen posted:

Clearly the excuse is May and Hammond are rubbish.

They just don't like public transportation :ssh:

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

inklesspen posted:

Has the car ever lost when it's Clarkson driving? Clearly the excuse is May and Hammond are rubbish.

Or that Clarkson writes the show, more or less, and thinks public transit is for the poors. I was gonna write about the ridiculous delays they invent for the not-car methods, but gently caress it. I just want to watch the show and cheer for the not-car to win even though I know it's not going to. The long races are my favorite episodes and the cinematography is often incredible.

I'm gonna go watch Jag vs. train vs. Black Shadow now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jeremy lost that one, because he was on the train. I'm surprised Jeremy didn't take the car. I think it was rigged for Hammond to take the bike, as he's the only one who would want to ride it. May really seemed sincere when he said he wanted to take the train.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I would love it if they reviewed/showed off the 251mph UR Lamborghini. The Veyron needs 5 miles to hit 250 mph, this car does 240mph in a standing mile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8K3Nk3PghU&t=217s

It's biggest rival is the AMS Alpha Omega. It's a little slower in a standing mile, 233mph, but it has a 1/4 mile time of 8.62 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcHZR_Hs0E&t=121s

These arn't special one offs, you can buy them. We need a good automotive cold war since WRX vs EVO died off while ago.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

I would love it if they reviewed/showed off the 251mph UR Lamborghini. The Veyron needs 5 miles to hit 250 mph, this car does 240mph in a standing mile.

I love the helmets. Like that'll help you at that speed.

As for the Top Gear races. From Clarkson's twitter feed, he insists they aren't fixed. He actually seems genuinely annoyed at people saying they are. Even if they aren't, it really is a case of boy who cried wolf here.

On the bright side, looks like there's a way to piss off Clarkson after he disses your race, country, creek, or other identifying factor.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If I remember right, the races are done twice. The second one is for the camera crew.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I don't doubt that everyone's trying to win the races. They're competitive enough to ensure that. I'm just saying they almost always hamper the not-car with something, like making Hammond and May walk 2 miles to the bus stop or starting the truffle race late when presumably someone would know that May wasn't instrument rated.

The Twitter angle does intrigue me, though. Wonder if they'll mention any of the instant feedback in the actual show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

If I remember right, the races are done twice. The second one is for the camera crew.

I assume that They do all the incar stuff during the race, then have a car follow that films any time the person has to stop. Then once it's over, go back to certain places and do shots of the car. It gets kind of obvious when there's a shot of those kids on bikes jumping over may and then two minutes later they are on top of a building.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Ak Gara posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8K3Nk3PghU&t=217s

It's biggest rival is the AMS Alpha Omega. It's a little slower in a standing mile, 233mph, but it has a 1/4 mile time of 8.62 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcHZR_Hs0E&t=121s

These arn't special one offs, you can buy them. We need a good automotive cold war since WRX vs EVO died off while ago.
How do those underground racing dudes get these lambos so loving fast? Ive watched a few videos and it seems almost unbelievable

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

How do those underground racing dudes get these lambos so loving fast? Ive watched a few videos and it seems almost unbelievable

The 1500 horsepower probably helps. Still street legal, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

Jeremy lost that one, because he was on the train. I'm surprised Jeremy didn't take the car.
He was driving the train, it was a steam locomotive and, like me, he's from Doncaster. To do otherwise would be like having a classic 4x4 challenge and have the guy from Toledo not driving the Willys Jeep.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Ak Gara posted:

The 1500 horsepower probably helps. Still street legal, too.

But I'm still confused why a 1200ish HP Veryon Super Sport takes so long to get up to those speeds. Doesn't the Veyron have stupid amount of torque as well? Because that Gallardo was surprisingly sedated inside the cockpit at those speeds.

The whole thing kinda blows my mind, I wonder what their full twin turbo kit/routine costs to achieve these speeds.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Morphix posted:

But I'm still confused why a 1200ish HP Veryon Super Sport takes so long to get up to those speeds. Doesn't the Veyron have stupid amount of torque as well? Because that Gallardo was surprisingly sedated inside the cockpit at those speeds.

The whole thing kinda blows my mind, I wonder what their full twin turbo kit/routine costs to achieve these speeds.

1500whp is close to 2000hp at the crank. In a lighter car that might be more aerodynamic. Their full kit for that is 109k.

And it's not street legal. That's leaded race fuel and no cats.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Morphix posted:

The Veyron is extremely heavy, the W-16 is needlessly over complex, and 1000 horsepower from a quad turbo engine really isn't that impressive if you're using an 8 litre engine. That's only 200 horsepower over the normal 100-horsepower-per-litre.

A twin turbo 5 litre V10 with 24 psi boost is far more practical.

[edit]

jamal posted:

1500whp is close to 2000hp at the crank. In a lighter car that might be more aerodynamic. Their full kit for that is 109k.

And it's not street legal. That's leaded race fuel and no cats.

That particular one might not be street legal, but they do differnt grades of packages.

$200k for the Gallardo, $100k for the package, and you have a car that kicks a $1.7 million Veyron's rear end. Good lord I wish I had 300 grand right now.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 19, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Ak Gara posted:

The Veyron is extremely heavy, the W-16 is needlessly over complex, and 1000 horsepower from a quad turbo engine really isn't that impressive if you're using an 8 litre engine. That's only 200 horsepower over the normal 100-horsepower-per-litre.

A twin turbo 5 litre V10 with 24 psi boost is far more practical.

[edit]

That particular one might not be street legal, but they do differnt grades of packages.

$200k for the Gallardo, $100k for the package, and you have a car that kicks a $1.7 million Veyron's rear end. Good lord I wish I had 300 grand right now.

To be fair the Bugatti is a bit more posh than the Lamborghini. I think Top Gear mentioned the buttons and switchgear in the Veyron are solid magnesium and thousands of dollars each.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

To be fair the Bugatti is a bit more posh than the Lamborghini. I think Top Gear mentioned the buttons and switchgear in the Veyron are solid magnesium and thousands of dollars each.

I agree that it's an engineering work of art. But the speed and performance can be brought for 1/8th of the cost makes the Veyron seem expensive just for being expensive. Like a Mac.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ak Gara posted:

I agree that it's an engineering work of art. But the speed and performance can be brought for 1/8th of the cost makes the Veyron seem expensive just for being expensive. Like a Mac.

How many miles do you think a 1000 hp Gallardo can go before it blows the gently caress up or burns to a crisp? I doubt it would be as many as a Veyron. Yes, it's possible to make that much power, but that doesn't mean it won't seriously compromise the car's usability or reliability enough that you could still daily drive it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MrChips posted:

How many miles do you think a 1000 hp Gallardo can go before it blows the gently caress up or burns to a crisp? I doubt it would be as many as a Veyron. Yes, it's possible to make that much power, but that doesn't mean it won't seriously compromise the car's usability or reliability enough that you could still daily drive it.

I agree. That Lamborghini was modified to go really fast and that's pretty much it. You aren't getting a maintenance plan, you don't get a hundred thousand mile warranty. The Veyron was designed to be a car that anyone can drive, and yes, it's also the fastest car in the world. I doubt anyone could jump in that modified lambo and drive it around town, which is what you should be able to do in a Veyron for a very long time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Heffner's is supposedly reliable. They cover their work for 12 months or 12k miles, so at least their stuff probably won't blow up immediately :v:

Short article from a few years back: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2009-heffner-lamborghini-gallardo-lp560-4-specialty-file

quote:

In the tuning world, Jason Heffner has a special talent—he can get big power gains from expensive exotic cars without messing up their reliability.

There is a significant fear factor on initial approach. At idle, the exhaust rumble and the faint whirring of the turbos make the LP850 TT sound like some doomsday device in a Bond flick, and full throttle produces a banshee wail so loud you can feel your clothes tremble. But in normal operation, the car is surprisingly user-friendly. At cruising speeds, the rumble from the exhaust is well muted and you can carry on conversations at regular volumes. Heffner hasn’t altered the brakes or the suspension, and we respect his wisdom not to fix what ain’t broke. All the horsepower is incredibly easy to manage, and the four-wheel drive offers extra assurance in keeping the front end where you point it. The extra oomph from the turbochargers comes on more like a wave than an explosion. With the exception of a satisfying waste-gate flutter when you abruptly lift from part throttle, the turbochargers are hardly noticeable.

Heffner has managed to enhance the performance of the LP560-4 without corrupting its inherently brilliant drivability and handling.
And the upgrade is $40k. For some perspective (I think this applies to the regular Veyron too):
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/bugatti-veyron-2011-bugatti-veyron-164-super-sport-review

quote:

A set of the Super Sport’s special Michelin tires costs $42,000 and may last 10,000 miles if you’re careful

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

MrChips posted:

Their warranty is 2 years/24000 miles I think. These ain't some rebuild after every 1/4 mile pull stuff.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The salesmen at my shop once tried to tell me that the Veyron uses the same Michelin Pilot Sports that we sell at the shop. :lol:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, just like how the Pirelli P-Zeros used in formula one are the same was the ones you can buy at Discount Tire.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
And Shell gas is what makes Ferrari's so fast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fucknag posted:

The salesmen at my shop once tried to tell me that the Veyron uses the same Michelin Pilot Sports that we sell at the shop. :lol:

They are, actually. They're just PS2s, only in a custom size.