Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Me and What a Judas just drafted this:

Come watch us stream!

https://www.twitch.tv/worldforgers/

e: fixed the url

Haha, just drafted another, same, deck.

Well, that was fun!

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

camoseven posted:

Getting a bye in Swiss draft is the worst thing possible.

Because you have to sit around for ever just to play for one lousy pack?

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Well, that was fun!

This came up in the stream, and I might as well bring it up here: when is it wrong to run an Evolving Wilds? I've been operating under the reasoning that it's far more likely for mana troubles to strand a powerful card in your hand than it is for your curve to be so perfect that the enters-tapped drawback is a significant liability. I can't see it in a slower deck with more expensive cards, either; even if Wilds is a bad topdeck if you're trying to hit one more mana to cast something pricey, I feel like the colors that are most likely to be in that position (blue, black and red in descending order) have the most color-intensive spells that really ache for fixing.

The only kind of list I can think of where I would leave Evolving Wilds sitting in my sideboard is a heavily green deck that wants to ramp and already has Farseek support for its secondary color.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Aggressive two colour deck with a good early to midgame curve and easy mana costs (say, few double colour spells at one colour and those at top end, only single colour spells at the second colour), that is more likely to be hurt by tempo loss from ETBT land than from missing a colour.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

newtestleper posted:

Because you have to sit around for ever just to play for one lousy pack?

Yea. I do Swiss to play matches and have fun. Getting a bye prevents me from doing either.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Vanilla Bison posted:

This came up in the stream, and I might as well bring it up here: when is it wrong to run an Evolving Wilds? I've been operating under the reasoning that it's far more likely for mana troubles to strand a powerful card in your hand than it is for your curve to be so perfect that the enters-tapped drawback is a significant liability. I can't see it in a slower deck with more expensive cards, either; even if Wilds is a bad topdeck if you're trying to hit one more mana to cast something pricey, I feel like the colors that are most likely to be in that position (blue, black and red in descending order) have the most color-intensive spells that really ache for fixing.

The only kind of list I can think of where I would leave Evolving Wilds sitting in my sideboard is a heavily green deck that wants to ramp and already has Farseek support for its secondary color.

Lunael posted:

Aggressive two colour deck with a good early to midgame curve and easy mana costs (say, few double colour spells at one colour and those at top end, only single colour spells at the second colour), that is more likely to be hurt by tempo loss from ETBT land than from missing a colour.

What Lunael said is exactly what I was thinking when I said that you don't always want to run Wilds. Our deck was like this, but slow enough that it was better to run the Wilds, but like Lunael said, sometimes an aggro deck doesn't want to give up that tempo because it simply can't survive a long game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if there is going to be a gate archetype that will only really open up when drafting all three Ravnica block sets. It looks like "cares about gates" is only barely supported in this set.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Hey guys, thought that I'd have a go at rating the commons and uncommons in the new set for Ravnica, like I did for AVR. I'm not the most experienced player, but it generated some really good discussion. Please call me out, if I sound like I'm talking crap I probably am. If anyone else wants to post other colours go ahead and do it.

White

Name: Armory Guard
Cost: 3w
Type: Creature - Giant Soldier
Pow/Tgh: 2/5
Rules Text: Armory Guard has vigilance as long as you control a Gate.
Set Number: #2/274

Not good, but not the worst costed creature ever. You are probably less than 50% likely to play a gate in any given game, so his ability is unlikely to be that relevant. Low pick.

Name: Arrest
Cost: 2W
Type: Enchantment - Aura
Rules Text: Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block, and its activated abilities can't be activated.
Illus. Greg Staples
Rarity: Uncommon
Set Number: #3/274

This is premium removal and should be picked very highly. Surprising that it's not common though.

Name: Avenging Arrow
Cost: 2w
Type: Instant
Rules Text: Destroy target creature that dealt damage this turn.
Illus. James Ryman
Rarity: Common
Set Number: #4/274

Ravnica's Divine Verdict/Righteous Blow type removal. Siffers from the fact you actually have to let the creature do damage before you kill it, with the slight upside you can potentially kill a pinger. Mid-high pick.

Name: Azorius Arrester
Cost: 1w
Type: Creature - Human Soldier
Pow/Tgh: 2/1
Rules Text: When Azorius Arrester enters the battlefield, detain target creature an opponent controls.

This seems like a very versatile and powerful common. 2 for 2/1 is playable anyways. Having a low drop that is not dead later in the game is always good too. High pick.

Name: Azorius Justiciar
Cost: 2WW
Type: Creature - Human Wizard
Pow/Tgh: 2/2
Rules Text: When Azorius Justiciar enters the battlefield, detain up to two target creatures your opponents control. (Until your next turn, those creatures can't attack or block and their activated abilities can't be activated.)

This guy is very good to allow you to alpha or to slow your opponents down. I'm not sure whether it's actually better than the arrester. They remind me a bit of mausoleum guard/doomed traveller.

Name: Bazaar Krovod
Cost: 4w
Type: Creature - Beast
Pow/Tgh: 2/5
Rules Text: Whenever Bazaar Krovod attacks, another target attacking creature gets +0/+2 until end of turn. Untap that creature.

This is a very defensive card. Part of white strategy seems to be "run low power high toughness creatures into your opponents over and over again. I don't this this is very good but I would want to play with it to decode. mid - low pick.

Name: Concordia Pegasus
Type: Creature - Pegasus
Pow/Tgh: 1/3
Rules Text: Flying

this is quite good value, but pretty defensive. Low pick, but wields enchantments well.

Name: Ethereal Armor
Cost: w
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each enchantment you control and has first strike.

This seems like a very important card for the enchantment deck. If the enchantment deck is any good this could be good.

Name: Eyes in the Skies
Cost: 3{W}
Rules Text: Put a 1/1 white Bird creature token with flying onto the battlefield, then populate. (Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of a creature token you control.)

2 1/1 flyers for 4 is not very good, but if you have somethign better populate it makes this card a lot better. This will often be a mid-low pick but could be situationally better. Goes up in your pick order when you have stuff to buff tokens.

Name: Fencing Ace
Cost: 1{W}
Type: Creature - Human Soldier
Pow/Tgh: 1/1
Rules Text: Double Strike

This is pretty bad on first look, but will weild equipment and enchantments very well. I dare say ti will work welll in the possible enchantment deck.

Name: Keening Apparition
Type: Creature - Spirit
Pow/Tgh: 2/2
Sacrifice Keening Spirit: Destroy target Enchantment.

bear with upside is always playable. Solid mid pack pick.

Name: Knightly Valor
When Knightly Valor enters the battlefield, put a 2/2 white Knight creature token with vigilance onto the battlefield.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has vigilance.

These value enchantments seem not entirely awful. This is one of the worse ones, but at least you can't get totally 2 for one'd.

Name: Phantom General
Cost: 3w
Type: Creature - Spirit Soldier
Pow/Tgh: 2/3
Rules Text: Creature tokens you control get +1/+1.

Good if you have plenty of tokens, and from the looks of it your are very likely to have plenty of tokens if you are in white. I think he'll be a high pick, and a potentil build around card.

Name: Rootborn Defenses
Rules Text: Populate. Creatures you control are indestructible this turn.
Illus. Mark Zug
Set Number: #19/274

This seems like a really good trick and a potential blow out X for 1. It is quite versatile in that you can use it just for the populate if you need to, as it doesn;t have any targeting restrictions.

Name: Security Blockade
Rules Text: Enchant land
When Security Blockade enters the battlefield, put a 2/2 white Knight creature token with vigilance onto the battlefield.
Enchanted land has "{T}: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to you this turn."

Another piece of a potential enchantment deck? This seems pretty good actually, as abilities that mess up combat math are awesome, and this is a grey ogre before even that happens.

Name: Selesnya Sentry
Type: Creature - Elephant Soldier
Pow/Tgh: 3/2
Rules Text: {5}{G}: Regenerate Selesnya Sentry.

This is an aggresively costed beater with potential upside. This is a really strong common 3 drop, and i see it as a high pick after premium removal.

Name: Seller of Songbirds
Type: Creature - Human
Pow/Tgh: 1/2
Rules Text: When Seller of Songbirds enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Bird creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
Illus. Christopher Moeller

Having a 1/1 flyer to populate isn't the worst. This is unexciting but I'm sure it will see play.

Name: Soul Tithe
Rules Text: Enchant nonland permanent
At the beginning of the upkeep of enchanted permanent's controller, that player sacrifices it unless he or she pays {X}, where X is its converted mana cost.
Illus. Dave Kendall

This is okay I guess. the trouble is, of course, that your opponent gets to choose whether they keep their creature.

Name: Sphere of Safety
Type: Enchantment
Rules Text: Creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless their controller pays {X} for each of those creatures, where X is the number of enchantments you control.
Flavor Text: The Rakdos believe that all are eager to join their revels, even when told otherwise.
Illus. Slawomir Maniak

Is there an enchantment deck in RtR? If there is this could MAYBE be a build around me card, but it seems like a pretty typical high cost do nothing enchantment otherwise.

Name: Sunspire Griffin
Cost: 1ww
Type: Creature - Griffin
Pow/Tgh: 2/3
Rules Text: Flying

Chapel geist is great, and I think flyers will be very good in this format. high pick.

Name: Swift Justice
Rules Text: Until end of turn, target creature gets +1/+0 and gains first strike and lifelink.

this is a cheap versatile trick. Still wouldn;t take it high, but deifnitely worthwhile as your trick.

Name: Trained Caracal
Type: Creature - Cat
Pow/Tgh: 1/1
Rules Text: Lifelink

this is bad.

Name: Trostani's Judgment
Cost: 5w
Rules Text: Exile target creature, then populate.

I think this is premium removal, despite the high cost. The upside will opften make this a 2 for 1. The exile is very relevant too.

Overall: White seems pretty good. Whether the token creating enchantments will be enough value to make the enchantment deck not too susceptible to 2 to 1's will be interesting, there are potentially powerful interactions there.

top commons: Trostani's judgement, sunspire griffin, selesnya sentry, azorius arrester.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
How does Security Blockade mess with combat math? It just prevents damage to you, not your creatures.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
A m13 8-4 draft is imminent. twitch.tv/xomfgtomx

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

whydirt posted:

How does Security Blockade mess with combat math? It just prevents damage to you, not your creatures.

I misread it.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
I'm totally going to do the same for red. I like red.

like the guy above, if you think I'm talking poo poo, I probably am, call me out on it

Annihilating Fire 1RR
Instant
Common
Annihilating Fire deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If a creature dealt damage this way would die this turn, exile it instead.

This is pretty cool. There's not an overwhelming amount of solid removal in the set; I'd expect these to disappear pretty quick. I haven't looked through all the colours to see how many creatures this can't hit, but it seems like it's always good. And it's going to save your rear end against scavenge cards.

Batterhorn 4R
Creature - Beast
Common
When Batterhorn enters the battlefield, you may destroy target artifact.
4/3

Meh. This is pretty slow, and crappy. Red looks like it wants to be fast. But then, there's artifact mana fixing, so you might get some good value out of it. Or you might be playing Zombie Goliath.

Bellows Lizard R
Creature - Lizard
Common
1R: Bellows Lizard gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
1/1

This is a weird card. It might fit into a fast deck, if you can curve out a bit, lay down some more threatening creatures, and then force some damage through with it. It can be hard to block. But it trades with everything and sucks up your mana, that's kinda lame.

Bloodfray Giant 2RR
Creature - Giant
Uncommon
Trample, unleash
4/3

Awwww yeah. This guy is a beast. Play him and beat someone's face in. If it's unleashed, none of those durdly X/5s can block it, which I think will turn out to be important.

Cobblebrute 3R
Creature - something stupid
Common
5/2

This isn't very sexy when compared to the guy above, but it can do a job if you want a four-drop, I guess.

Dynacharge R
Instant
Common
Target creature you control gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
Overload 2R

I think this is a nice, simple combat trick, and it's also a finisher. So there's a bit of utility there. But the fact it doesn't pump toughness probably means you'll wind up trading one your creatures and this spell for a bigger creature. And as a finisher, it obviously works best in a token deck, but I'm not sure red is exactly the best third colour for Selesnya. I'd play it anyway, I'm probably overthinking it.

Electrickery R
Instant
Common
Electrickery deals 1 damage to target creature you don't control.
Overload 1R

I had a physics teacher back in high school who called electricity electrickery. But I digress. I'm not convinced there are enough one-toughness creatures for this to be any good. If your opponent does have a bunch of them, it is amazing.

Explosive Impact 5R
Instant
Common
Explosive Impact deals 5 damage to target creature or player.

This is awesome. There's a handful of creatures it won't kill and I don't think any of them are common or uncommon. Although you're never going to hit 6 mana when you need it. 5 damage is also a lot of reach. This is splashable as hell.

Goblin Rally 3RR
Sorcery
Uncommon
Put four 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Hmm. Dynacharge makes sense now. This seems like a fine card to me. I guess it works with populate, although not as well as any other token-producer.

Gore-House Chainwalker 1R
Creature - Human Warrior
Common
Unleash
2/1

This guy is frickin' solid.

Guttersnipe 2R
Creature - Goblin Shaman
Uncommon
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, Guttersnipe deals 2 damage to each opponent.
2/2

He seems pretty cool. Playing him and not casting any instants or sorceries is going to be really disappointing, but you'll get value out of him a lot of the time. Looks like a great card.

Lobber Crew 2R
Creature - Goblin Warrior
Common
Defender
T: Lobber Crew deals 1 damage to each opponent.
Whenever you cast a multicolored spell, untap Lobber Crew.
0/4

I think this is a bad card, and I am probably going to lose games to it. Do hybrid cards count as multicolored spells? I still don't like it.

Minotaur Aggressor 6R
Creature - Minotaur Berserker
Uncommon
First strike, haste
6/2

Well at least they gave him haste. If the format is really slow, he's superb, in fairness.

Pursuit of Flight 1R
Enchant Creature
Common
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has "U: This creature gains flying until end of turn."

As enchantments go, this is an OK enchantment. I have no idea if you can play a lot of enchantments in this set.

Pyroconvergence 4R
Enchantment - piece of crap
Uncommon
Whenever you cast a multicolored spell, Pyroconvergence deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Thank God it's uncommon and I won't be seeing it too often. How often are you going to draft good, efficient multicolour spells and then just hold on to them until turn six? This is so bad.

Racecourse Fury R
Enchant Land
Enchanted land has "T: Target creature gains haste until end of turn."

I don't get it. What are you meant to do with this?

Splatter Thug 2R
Creature - Human Warrior
Common
First strike, unleash
2/2

There's a very fast deck in here that uses these red cards, and I look forward to failing to draft it. This guy is either mediocre when you need blockers, or he's excellent on the beatdown. I guess it's nice you get the option.

Street Spasm XR
Instant
Uncommon
Street Spasm deals X damage to target creature without flying you don't control.
Overload XXRR

This is awesome except when you're at the prerelease, because of all the Izzet dragons.

Survey the Wreckage 4R
Sorcery
Common
Destroy target land. Put a 1/1 red Goblin creature token onto the battlefield.

Why did they even bother?

Tenement Crasher 5R
Creature - Beast
Common
Haste
5/4

It's nice that red has big creatures at the top of the curve as well as cheap, aggressive ones. I guess this and some of the others give you that versatility in a slow match, if you can get a handful for your sideboard or something. It's poo poo though.

Traitorous Instinct 3R
Sorcery
Common
Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. Until end of turn, it gets +2/+0 and gains haste.

Cool. I never know what to make of these kinds of spells, but stealing one of those 2/X fliers and then attacking with it is probably a good play. Are there any sac outlets around for this?

Vandalblast R
Sorcery
Uncommon
Destroy target artifact you don't control.
Overload 4R

Maindeckable if people are going to run those keystones.

Viashino Racketeer 2R
Creature - Viashino Rogue
Common
When Viashino Racketeer enters the battlefield, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
2/1

I think this is a reasonable and playable card. Discard a spare land or a scavenge creature, draw a card. Why not?

I think red actually looks OK in limited. There's one good creature at 2, one at 3, and one at 4, for a very good deck with a vicious curve, but there needs to be support in another colour for that to be strong, or for people to avoid red. And why would they? There's some nice stuff here, not the least of which is the removal.

The big creatures probably aren't as crappy as they seem, especially because some of them have haste, and it's nice that it's not a shallow colour with only one viable gameplan.

There are probably some clever things you can do with some of the spells but frankly I just looks at these cards and I want to make R/X/x aggro. Probably black and green.

flyingkiwi fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 19, 2012

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just had a draft where I got 7 mogg flunkies and 5 Timberpack wolves, that was fun.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

camoseven posted:

Yea. I do Swiss to play matches and have fun. Getting a bye prevents me from doing either.

Tell me about it. One of the two times I had a chance to do a Cube draft on MTGO my second round opponent conceded the match on like turn three of game one, and then I got a bye for round three. That was the worst. :(

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

flyingkiwi posted:

Pyroconvergence 4R
Enchantment - piece of crap
Uncommon
Whenever you cast a multicolored spell, Pyroconvergence deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Thank God it's uncommon and I won't be seeing it too often. How often are you going to draft good, efficient multicolour spells and then just hold on to them until turn six? This is so bad.

This is the token 'uncommon red build around me enchantment' for this set (see: burning vengeance, furnace celebration, raid bombardment).

These types of cards are usually pretty good if you force the archetype (or get lucky) in draft, so I would reserve judgment until you try it. A repeatable shock is insanely powerful in limited, even if you only get a couple activations off of it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It doesn't piss me off as much as Furnace Celebration, which could have been almost good without the activation cost.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I feel like Pyroconvergence would be a good "build around me" card at 3R. Five mana just makes it too durdly, I think.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Entropic posted:

It doesn't piss me off as much as Furnace Celebration, which could have been almost good without the activation cost.

If this didn't have a mana cost, and it just did two damage anytime you sacrificed something, it would be overpowered, believe it or not.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

whydirt posted:

I feel like Pyroconvergence would be a good "build around me" card at 3R. Five mana just makes it too durdly, I think.

Yeah five is a ton, I'm pretty skeptical too, but there's almost always a viable draft archetype around these stupid enchantments. Some sort of WUR Azorius/Izzet mix might be able to stall the game out long enough to cast it? :theorycrafting:

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
Also just typing out the phrase 'WUR Azorius/Izzet mix' got me so goddamned excited for this set.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The difference between this and Burning Vengeance is that with the latter you usually could get at least one flashback card in the grave on turn one or two, drop BV on turn three, then go to town. I feel like Pyroconvergence would work better in Gatecrash where Gruul would allow for a G/R ramp and burn archtype.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 19, 2012

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

What a Judas posted:

If this didn't have a mana cost, and it just did two damage anytime you sacrificed something, it would be overpowered, believe it or not.

Oh, I know. That would make it a broken combo piece in Legacy or something. But it would make it playble in Limited. Maybe if it only cost 1 it would have been good.

I think they were just gun-shy of having good sac outlets after the whole Affinity debacle the first go around.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Furnace Celebration was playable in Limited in MBS/SOM/SOM. You just took good red/black cards and Replicas and got all the lovely enablers no one wanted on the wheel.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

What a Judas posted:

So a better version of this?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I've been wanting to sum up some thoughts on what RtR limited might be and what might be strong and what not, but I'm not really keen on card by card style review. Rather, I figured I sum my thoughts guild by guild, as those I feel will likely be the basic directions you aim for. So, some guesses and predictions incoming.

Generally, I feel you're aiming to build on a strong two colour base, expand on third colour more or less depending on your fixing and size of your balls, and splashing fourth or even fifth colour for something the deck needs if your mana can handle it. Given how fixing goes, the third colour is likely, but not certain to be from one of the guilds overlapping with your two colour base.

So I'll start by looking at Selesnya, and what GW base deck I think will try to do.

The token theme Selesnya has can be a bit misleading. It kind of implies that you're pretty much swarming over the opponent from the go, but most of the early and midgame token cards either make one token or combine Populate to abilities that are fairly marginal or situational. So in practice, your token will cost you a card. Other than Eyes in the Skies that nets you by themself fairly weak fliers, you have to hit 6 and 8 mana to actually push out value in two guys out of one card commons in Courser's Accord and Horncaller's Chant. Trostani's Judgement, which is another card that should read 2 for 1 for you, is also quite expensive.

So you need mana. Unfortunately, this is not the set of good ramp, with pretty much zero options at 1 or 2 drop slot. I suspect Axebane Guardian will be something you look for pretty high, and if you have gates you might be happy to play Gatecreeper Vine just to not miss you land drop. You might want to snap Keyrunes higher than others too, you benefit from the ramp more than say, Rakdos will.

If you're planning to actually use the Populate mechanic (I think you can actually even ignore it for a fair bit, pick solid and efficient beaters GW gives, white and U/W evasives, fixing, and splash for what else you need in a boring mid-range shell), critical thing is actually getting that first token in the battlefield and keeping it there. Having your only token guy removed somehow in response to you trying to Populate should be bloody devastating and something you play around hard. I think common you pick a bit higher than you'd expect is Centaur's Herald - not many early commons guarantee you good populate targets, this one fairly reliably lets you start your turn 4 with 3/3 in play, ready to attack.

At this point it is also worth noting how parasitic Selesnya mechanic is compared to others. Any aggressive deck can benefit from Unleash, all decks can Scavenge, everyone can Overload, most can benefit from Detain. But for Populate to be worth it by itself, you fairly reliably need to be able to produce tokens from somewhere. Even powerful cards that have their main benefit in Populate you should be getting late, if your close neighbours are not on the same gameplan. Growing Ranks will go far, not many will want Wayfaring Temple just for hard to cast Crusader of Odric, and I don't think even Trostani is that tempting if you can't benefit from Populate reliably, for its WWGG manacost.

A word about enchantments. White has a clear, limited relevant possibility for enchantment subtheme in it. I'm not sure if UW is the base that can benefit from it the most (mostly because of Paralyzing Grasp at common), but I think GW can try it. Mostly I think GW with enchantments wants to be looking at two cards: picking the (fortunately) only hexproof guy in the set at green common Rubbleback Rhino, and wheeling something like Ethereal Armor or Knightly Valor to make it absolutely stupid. The option is there.

Also specific mention on Sphere of Safety: I do think you want the enchantment subtheme to make it playable. The cost is high enough that properly aggressive deck won't even care if you drop it by itself. You need it to be operating beyond Propaganda / Ghostly Prison power to actually make it a real nuisance to opponent.

Selesnya wants to try pick these commons on the wheel:

Druid's Deliverance - For most, a Fog that unreliably nets you a token. For you, more likely a 3/3 flash or better for 2 that can come with Angel's Mercy attached. The cost is aggressive, and the value is immensely better for you than for others.

Seller of Songbirds - Might be wrong on how late these will go, but I doubt others than you and Azorius are really that interested. But the card fits a nice spot in your curve, and is good early source for Populate target if you need it.

These are the clear powerhouse uncommons you snap:

Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage - Repeatable Populate, plus ability to put that first token in the play if necessary makes Guildmage a card that can just flat out run away with a game by itself. Notice too how tapping is not required, and double Populating in late game each turn is a realistic option when you hit eight mana.

Phantom General - Obviously token Crusade effect will be big in the deck. Worth noting that this will likely go late, and might wheel out of a strong pack. For most decks it will be mostly an expensive 2/3.

Selesnya Charm - I really like the versatility it provides. A good, cheap combat trick that lets you get more damage in even from block, relevant removal even if utility guys are safe from it, and in a pinch Populate target.

These cards should be punching above their weight:

Common Bond - That it is an instant with still manageable cost really makes it, and the versatility of being able to +1/+1 twice or +2/+2 once. Most decks that touch on the colours should want it.

Chorus of Might - It's an expensive trick, but I'd consider it more of a finisher than anything else. Even when you have your bird tokens and other evasives (I don't think ignoring the good white fliers, however populating your plan is, is right) or dash of evasion from blue, you might ground stall.

Swift Justice - It's not gonna save your guys outside combat, but for W the effect is quite beefy. There are realistic scenarios where it nets you two cards for one, and the lifelink bit on top might be what wins you a race in the end.

Who to work with:
You go for Golgari mostly for its removal. You snap something like Launch Party even without less hesitation than anyone else, it's perfect use for a weaker token or used Seller of Songbirds. I don't see that much pure synergy with solid Selesnya cards to Golgari ones - unless you go heavy on the hexproof rhino.

Azorius is I think a better fit, though removal is what GW generally lacks. Detain is a mechanic that I think is more aggressive than defensive, which fits the general GW gameplan: play cost effective beaters, get them through. And more evasion helps very deck that tries to win on damage.

As far as Izzet cards go, I'd be loving ecstatic to play Teleportal in a Selesnya base deck. It's gonna be good anywhere, though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's definitely potential to make Selesnya drafters very sad by making killing any tokens they produce your top priority.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I know the topic has drifted to new Rav theorycrafting, but OM and I will be using her swank new Community Cup MODO account to stream a WotC employee-only M13 sealed event at 8:30pm! What wonders will the WotC event have in store???

Edit: oh poo poo, that was pacific time apparently. Nevermind. :(

rinski fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 20, 2012

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

rinski posted:

I know the topic has drifted to new Rav theorycrafting, but OM and I will be using her swank new Community Cup MODO account to stream a WotC employee-only M13 sealed event at 8:30pm! What wonders will the WotC event have in store???

Edit: oh poo poo, that was pacific time apparently. Nevermind. :(

Ffffff I almost cancelled my stream to watch this.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

What a Judas posted:

Ffffff I almost cancelled my stream to watch this.

Screw it, we're doing it anyway!

http://www.twitch.tv/worldforgers/

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Another draft, let me know if things went awry. I really seemed to struggle here, though there were a few obvious picks.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3g0ia

p1p1: this pack sucks. Slime, Prowler, Arbor Elf..... eh, lets pick the flyer and see what happens.

p1p2: Hexbeast and Drake are nice, also a turn to slag, but grabbing the black removal for now.

p1p3: Another crappy pack.

p1p4: Struggled with this, Arbor Elf is good. Probably too early for evolving wild since I dont even know if I need mana fixing, and its probably too early for that. I like Rise from the Grave, could be a devastating card late in the game

p1p7: I don't like this pick. Don't really like the vampire, goblin is good maybe, but I still don't know what my color is, so I picked a playable artifact.

p1p10: Still confused on colors. I'm surprised this card came back, and that hexbeast is good, plus I also seem to be getting blue. Is everyone going White and Black?

p2p1: Well, OK then. I'm definitely playing that.

p2p2: I still have not committed to any color except maybe red to some extent. I'm regretting not taking that other hexbeast, but as it stands I am not in green at all. I'm not in white either, and that Drake is good, but I'm not committed to blue. Keeping my options open.

p2p3: Blue is starting to look good.

p2p10: Oh hey, that drake came back. Yeah, I'm blue, but I haven't gotten anything for red at all other than Chandra and one removal. I'm beginning to think that I might be BUr

p3p1: Yeah, that clinches it. I'm going BUr

Some more good blue/black cards from there, ended up splashing just 2 red cards. Lost my first match 1-2, but Chandra won me my only game.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Northjayhawk posted:

Another draft, let me know if things went awry. I really seemed to struggle here, though there were a few obvious picks.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3g0ia

p1p1: this pack sucks. Slime, Prowler, Arbor Elf..... eh, lets pick the flyer and see what happens.
I don't have time to go through all your picks, but you are way, way off on your assessment of the first pack.

Sands of Delirium is a stone cold bomb and will win you games if unanswered, and can be used in any deck. Slime is a very strong creature, and Arbor Elf is probably one of, if not the best 1-drop. Cower in Fear is not terrible as well. But really you should have taken the Sands...

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
P1P1: I take either Slime or Sands. Either one if defensible, I think. The griffin is probably alright also but I am not a big fan of white in this format (personal bias, I suppose). P1P2: Uhhh. So, the cards to look at here are Public Execution and Disciple of Bolas. Essence Drain is a mediocre black removal spell compared to Public Execution, one of the best spells in the format. Wind Drake is also not that impressive. I'd take Disciple, which is a massive bomb and why did you pass it oh my god. P1P3 I think Rewind is one of the weaker options here. Crippling Blight is pretty decent and Guardians of Akrosa is pretty darn good in the right strategy. I think Negate gets a bad rap and it's probably a higher pick than Rewind for me. P1P4 you take Rise from the Grave-- it's an alright card, but I would certainly take Griffin Protector above it with your picks so far. The super-late Knight of Infamy is a very clear signal to stay black. P1P10 you take Turn to Slag. I don't quite remember if we have any red cards yet, but I might very well take the Scorpion above it since we know that Black is wide open. Scorpion is an excellent card. As a side-note, all of these vampires would go swimmingly with the Disciple of Bolas that you should have.

P2P2: "I still have not committed to any color except maybe red to some extent." You've been getting extremely strong black signals, you're definitely black. Wind Drake isn't in consideration here in my opinion. Taking Serra Avenger is not 'keeping your options open.' Cower in Fear is exceptionally good in this format and you should take it here!

I'm kind of skimming over the rest of the draft since you've already committed to BU. P3P5 is definitely Knight of Infamy over Servant of Nefarox. Sign in Blood is the second best card here, better than the Servant by a fair margin, especially with your removal suite. Getting one P3P13 is absolutely ridiculous since Sign in Blood is one of black's better cards. Black was very open from the start of the draft, so I guess it makes sense. It took you until well into pack 2 to realize it, though, which is confusing to me.

Overall I just see weird card evaluations throughout the draft. Wind Drake isn't as good as you think it is and many removal spells are better than you are giving them credit for being (Execution, Cower in Fear, etc.). For what it's worth, I would've ended up BU control as well.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Modern Peasant Cubechat:

What do you think about running the Honden enchantment cycle? It seems like they could enable a 3-5 color control archtype, and a few of them seem playable as standalone cards.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

whydirt posted:

Modern Peasant Cubechat:

What do you think about running the Honden enchantment cycle? It seems like they could enable a 3-5 color control archtype, and a few of them seem playable as standalone cards.

The question is whether your cube is slow enough for the hondens to even have an effect on the game. They can definitely take a game over in multiples, but they are very very slow otherwise.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

whydirt posted:

If you're building greenish ramp for Selesnya or Golgari and are missing removal/reliable damage, this may be worth splashing red. I don't necessarily see Jund or Naya control being a thing in limited, but it's possible? I get the feeling it's really going to come into it's own in a Gatecrash draft, when Gruul ramp can be used along with red to get it out more quickly and triggering more often.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

If you're building greenish ramp for Selesnya or Golgari and are missing removal/reliable damage, this may be worth splashing red. I don't necessarily see Jund or Naya control being a thing in limited, but it's possible? I get the feeling it's really going to come into it's own in a Gatecrash draft, when Gruul ramp can be used along with red to get it out more quickly and triggering more often.

Gatecrash draft won't have Pyroconvergence though. I think you mean once we draft full block?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Lord Of Texas posted:

The question is whether your cube is slow enough for the hondens to even have an effect on the game. They can definitely take a game over in multiples, but they are very very slow otherwise.

I'm not 100% sure about the speed, since I've only just built this cube. I think that running only commons and uncommons from Modern makes things slower than regular cubes, for sure. Mana fixing is much worse, and aggro lacks some prime 1 and 2 drops you'd find normally.

I started off looking at the black Honden because with the available card pool you can't really make a dedicated reanimator archtype, so I thought pushing discard would add some depth to it as a color. Since the Honden is one of the few sources of repeatable discard in the format, I figured it could work at least passably on its own. The red Honden's repeatable pinging would fit well into any R/x control deck. Intangible Virtue is one of the few anthem effects available in Modern Peasant and G/W tokens is definitely a strong archtype, so the green Honden might be playable in that deck even without the others even though it's 4G. The white and blue ones are a bit overcosted for their effects, but I'm willing to test them out if they can enable a unique archtype.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Lunael posted:

Gatecrash draft won't have Pyroconvergence though. I think you mean once we draft full block?

Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess we won't be having any Gatecrash->RtR->RtR drafts?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nope, we do 3x RtR, then 3x Gatecrash, then finally RtR, Gatecrash, Sinker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
e: nvm