Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
To add to the stylii (styluses?) discussion: Unless the tablet has a digitizer meant for stylus input, such as the Note, Flyer or Thinkpad, then it will not perform nearly as well as a Wacom.

That's not to say other tablets are useless with styluses, but regular capacitive styluses can't do anything that your finger can't already do.

I had the Adonit Jot Pro, and it is a great stylus to use with a tablet with a decent screen like an iPad, but on my Acer Iconia which has a poo poo piece of glass for a screen, it doesn't glide at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Last night, I rooted my Kindle Fire, and installed CM10 (Jelly Bean) on it. Then I did it again, because I forgot to install the Google Apps package, so my sideload of the Play Store just auto closed...

Anyway, it uses the Trebucet launcher. Where can I find themes for that?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Kheldarn posted:

Last night, I rooted my Kindle Fire, and installed CM10 (Jelly Bean) on it. Then I did it again, because I forgot to install the Google Apps package, so my sideload of the Play Store just auto closed...

Trebuchet is the stock launcher for ICS/JB and doesn't have themes per se (it can be themed, but those are framework edits which are a whole different animal.

If you want a themeable launcher, look in the Play Store, there are launchers everywhere, all with different capabilities.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Trebuchet is the stock launcher for ICS/JB and doesn't have themes per se (it can be themed, but those are framework edits which are a whole different animal.

If you want a themeable launcher, look in the Play Store, there are launchers everywhere, all with different capabilities.
Trebuchet is the CyanogenMod launcher. It can be themed to an extent (with the T-Mobile Theming Engine built into CM) but it makes more sense to just replace the launcher with Nova or Apex.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LastInLine posted:

Trebuchet is the CyanogenMod launcher. It can be themed to an extent (with the T-Mobile Theming Engine built into CM) but it makes more sense to just replace the launcher with Nova or Apex.

I stand corrected, then. I thought it was the ICS/JB default.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Alright, I'll check into Nova and Apex. Thanks.

Any suggestions for a customizable Lock Screen locker replacement? I don't mind if I can only add one or two apps to the lock screen, as long as I can get some nice themes, and have the time, date, and weather displayed.

I've thought about GO Locker, but from what I've heard, all the GO stuff is just bloated and slow now.

Right now, I'm looking for a free option, but feel free to suggest paid ones as well. It'll be nice to have some to look at when money's not so tight.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kheldarn posted:

Any suggestions for a customizable Lock Screen locker replacement? I don't mind if I can only add one or two apps to the lock screen, as long as I can get some nice themes, and have the time, date, and weather displayed.
Widget Locker: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Get Widgetlocker.

e:f,b

well, have an xda thread full of reasons why you should get it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=968613

It's pretty great if you're into that sort of thing.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 20, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Google pinyin IME wants to update itself on my n7. What is it & can I uninstall it?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Haven't tried widget locker yet but it does seem tempting to buy. I'm using Codename Android and it has a customizable lock screen. You can choose apps and custom activities, but can not import a wdiget yet. At least it's free. But anyone using widgetlocker and codename? Care to tell more differences?

And if I want to get Nova themes, anyone got suggestions? I'm using a GNex

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cakefool posted:

Google pinyin IME wants to update itself on my n7. What is it & can I uninstall it?
It's a keyboard for inputting Chinese characters. Uninstalling it shouldn't hurt anything.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hmm... TeslaCoil makes both WidgetLocker and Nova Launcher. I may just have to find $8 to drop on them...

Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Whats the easiest way to automatically put my phone on vibrate/silent (including media) when my calendar shows an appointment with a certain category or location?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

ilkhan posted:

Whats the easiest way to automatically put my phone on vibrate/silent (including media) when my calendar shows an appointment with a certain category or location?

Do you have Tasker? If you do, start here: http://tasker.wikidot.com/muteinmeetings

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Cruseydr posted:

Do you have Tasker? If you do, start here: http://tasker.wikidot.com/muteinmeetings
I do and thats perfect. Thanks.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I hope this is the right place to ask this... I'm new to the DROID platform and still figuring things out. Is there a way to quickly merge duplicate contacts in the people app?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Goober Peas posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this... I'm new to the DROID platform and still figuring things out. Is there a way to quickly merge duplicate contacts in the people app?

The easiest way to do this on in your computer, on gmail, on the contacts page.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I'm looking for an app that will help me keep track of when I last wore certain outfits. I'm told there is an iPhone app that does this called Cloth, but I searched and there's no android counterpart.

My problem is that I wear the same pieces of clothing too frequently, and neglect other facets of my wardrobe. I'd like to be able to figure out when was the last time I wore a specific suit and tie combo, for example, to avoid wearing my favorite combinations to work too frequently. I thought about just taking a picture of my outfit for the day, and then going back and referencing my entire bank of photos, but I figure there's got to be a better way. I'm currently trying Personal Closet Lite, but after about three days of use I can already tell it's pretty underdeveloped: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...3NldC5saXRlIl0.

Basically I'm looking for something with a calendar, that will let me take pictures of specific articles of clothing, organize them so I don't have to retake pictures every single time I wear the articles, and then throw the pictures on a calendar somehow to signify the day that I wore them. Bonus points for a feature that will let me click on a particular item to find out when the last time I wore it, or on average how frequently I wear it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 20, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thanks, I must be having a dumb day because I read the play page three times & still wasn't sure what it was for :downs:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Cakefool posted:

Thanks, I must be having a dumb day because I read the play page three times & still wasn't sure what it was for :downs:

I feel like this on ~85% of Play pages. Still, it's improving! Last year around this time it was probably 95%! :suicide:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Welcome to the CM10 world. I mightn't have a Kindle fire, but I did just update my kernel to a source based one which has sections poached from the anal ..uh Ainol Fire (nooo, no naming similarity there at all. And the comparison on site between Kindle Fire and Ainol Fire was a coincidence too). I am liking JB better than ICS. Some of the new Google experience stuff is more suited to a phone but it's still nice.

Now I came here to ask about apps. Well, app licenses. I have a couple of Android devices, as does my other half. We have been purchasing apps separately as we both have our own e-mail address.
It looks like multiple accounts can be entered. Could we legitimately do that? and if so can we not get each others e-mails?

Asking too because my daughter is getting a tablet and I'd like to have some sort of control over what's installed too. I haven't got a bloody clue how to go about this.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

General_Failure posted:

Now I came here to ask about apps. Well, app licenses. I have a couple of Android devices, as does my other half. We have been purchasing apps separately as we both have our own e-mail address.
It looks like multiple accounts can be entered. Could we legitimately do that? and if so can we not get each others e-mails?

You can set multiple Google accounts on the same device. This is probably intended more for individuals with multiple Google accounts than couples, but if it works hey why not.

1) I don't know if you can run apps from both accounts simultaneously; I've never tried - although you probably could unless the developer took pains to keep it from happening. You'd obviously only see one account's stuff at a time in the Play Store, and would have to change the active account from the menu.
2) You can set what parts of a Google account you want to sync. This will keep your partner's e-mail from cluttering your phone and vice-versa - but I don't know if you can set it so you CAN'T receive their e-mail even if you try to turn sync on.

quote:

Asking too because my daughter is getting a tablet and I'd like to have some sort of control over what's installed too. I haven't got a bloody clue how to go about this.

Play Store > Settings > Content Filtering (also might want to set a PIN).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a reason I'd want to use instant upload to Google+/Picasa over Dropbox?

I find that Instant Upload adds all kinds of folders to my Gallery that I don't want and I don't use Picasa enough to know how to make them go away.

I'd still like to have photos and bids backed up though and I suppose two digital storage places are better than one.. Is there at least a way to keep Google+/Picasa from taking over Gallery?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is there a reason I'd want to use instant upload to Google+/Picasa over Dropbox?

I find that Instant Upload adds all kinds of folders to my Gallery that I don't want and I don't use Picasa enough to know how to make them go away.

I'd still like to have photos and bids backed up though and I suppose two digital storage places are better than one.. Is there at least a way to keep Google+/Picasa from taking over Gallery?
I guess I'd say it depends. I use Picasa to manage my photos but I'll be honest and say I don't like it much. If you're storing a lot of pictures and you need to organize them somehow it seems to be the best thing out there but it's certainly not good in my opinion. That said if that's what you use it makes sense to use Picasa upload to just get them to where you're doing your photo storage and organizing instead of having to sort them, then import them, then label them later in Picasa.

Now if you're using something like iPhoto I guess there's no reason to use Picasa upload rather than Dropbox. I don't take enough photos to notice a speed difference and they both seem to work well enough on a technical level.

I just wish there was a better photo organization system because all the ones I've dealt with just suck so badly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I guess I'd say it depends. I use Picasa to manage my photos but I'll be honest and say I don't like it much. If you're storing a lot of pictures and you need to organize them somehow it seems to be the best thing out there but it's certainly not good in my opinion. That said if that's what you use it makes sense to use Picasa upload to just get them to where you're doing your photo storage and organizing instead of having to sort them, then import them, then label them later in Picasa.

Now if you're using something like iPhoto I guess there's no reason to use Picasa upload rather than Dropbox. I don't take enough photos to notice a speed difference and they both seem to work well enough on a technical level.

I just wish there was a better photo organization system because all the ones I've dealt with just suck so badly.

I'll try Instant Upload and just mess around with Picasa a bit. I really wish I could just back up photos and videos to Google Drive. It just makes more sense and it'd make me buy more space as well.

I haven't used iPhoto though since I sold my iPod long before that started (I don't even recall when that started).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'll try Instant Upload and just mess around with Picasa a bit. I really wish I could just back up photos and videos to Google Drive. It just makes more sense and it'd make me buy more space as well.

I haven't used iPhoto though since I sold my iPod long before that started (I don't even recall when that started).
Obviously Picasa Web Albums and Picasa the actual client kinda-sorta sync but not really. None of the experience is elegant at all.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Obviously Picasa Web Albums and Picasa the actual client kinda-sorta sync but not really. None of the experience is elegant at all.

I actually haven't installed the Picasa client since I used XP when it was still a new OS (I think they had Picasa back then, I know it's been a while).

I agree, it's really not that great and would be better if they somehow merged Picasa with Google Drive.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Maybe it was in the old goon wiki, but wasn't there an app that let you put all of your "rewards" cards for stores on your phone where they could scan it on your phone?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm using sugarsyc to automatically sync my photos and it's pretty nice.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Gothmog1065 posted:

Maybe it was in the old goon wiki, but wasn't there an app that let you put all of your "rewards" cards for stores on your phone where they could scan it on your phone?
Key Ring.

e: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...C5hbmRyb2lkIl0.

Looks like it's putting ads in the notification bar now so you might want to try something else like FidMe.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I'm having some trouble with the Gmail and Play apps. The government here cut off all things Google because of the recent Mohammed YouTube video. Access has since been restored. I can navigate to Gmail in a browser with no difficulty. However, the app is stuck with the most recent emails being from prior to the cutoff; pressing the refresh button either does nothing or loads endlessly with no progress. Likewise, trying to add the Gmail widget onto a homescreen just goes to a black screen until I end the process. Play opens, but just loads endlessly.

Any thoughts as to how I could fix this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Derek Dominoe posted:

I'm having some trouble with the Gmail and Play apps. The government here cut off all things Google because of the recent Mohammed YouTube video. Access has since been restored. I can navigate to Gmail in a browser with no difficulty. However, the app is stuck with the most recent emails being from prior to the cutoff; pressing the refresh button either does nothing or loads endlessly with no progress. Likewise, trying to add the Gmail widget onto a homescreen just goes to a black screen until I end the process. Play opens, but just loads endlessly.

Any thoughts as to how I could fix this?
I don't know what phone you have, but Settings > Accounts & Sync > Google should have options for all Google services. Try pushing the sync buttons there and see if it helps, or try unchecking and checking unsynced services. (Jelly Bean moves this to the main Settings menu and the menu structures vary between Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, and Jelly Bean but a sync all option is in there somewhere.)

I'll have to think what my next attempt would be.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could also just try rebooting the phone if you didn't already. That should restart all the syncing stuff.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I use a Galaxy Nexus. I should also note that I only have intermittent wireless connectivity here and thus have not received the Jellybean push; Verizon hasn't come to Kandahar yet. I tried rebooting to no avail. I looked under Sync settings, and there was a message that "Sync is experiencing problems and will be back" or something like that. Turning all sync off and back on cleared the message, but Gmail is still not syncing.

Welp, less than a month until I get home. Hopefully things will start working back in the States.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Are there any good men's fashion related apps? Something that helps pick out a shirt/tie/suit combination based on colors and patterns? Nothing beats just trying out combinations, but it would be helpful to feel things out.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Keyring.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Is there an app that lets me see which apps are accessing the internet through wi-fi? I'd like to see why my phone is constantly downloading and uploading stuff even when I'm not using it. It's probably paranoia on my end, but I want to make sure.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Better Battery Stats can do that

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
So I uploaded a bunch of music to google play and didn't bother to make sure the names / albums were in order or anything. Oops.

I don't think there's a solution but is there a program/app I can use to fix all of the tags?

Like 50% of the music I uploaded didn't have the proper settings. Am I better off just deleting half the music and reuploading it at work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mr Newsman posted:

So I uploaded a bunch of music to google play and didn't bother to make sure the names / albums were in order or anything. Oops.

I don't think there's a solution but is there a program/app I can use to fix all of the tags?

Like 50% of the music I uploaded didn't have the proper settings. Am I better off just deleting half the music and reuploading it at work?
You can edit them manually on the site but in my experience Google Music is terrible with tags and getting fixes to propagate to devices is next to impossible. Plus that's a gently caress ton of editing.

You'll also find that getting it to reupload if you delete just some of your music isn't exactly easy. When that happened to me the only way I could fix it was to delete everything and start over and it still refuses to recognize new additions to my library. I've gotten to the point of not using it just because it's so terrible.

• Locked thread