Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wulframn posted:

However, one of my favorite things about motorcycling is some of the incredulous remarks made in reference to this practice.

As far as I remember I've never had and of that happen in my 20ish years of riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
Ever been to Florida?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh yes, but never on a bike! :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So the abrasive Northerners are imports then?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
People just hate when you're doing things that they can't do. They expected participation trophies in little league, they expect a free meal when their steak is a little burnt, they expect diet pills to make them as skinny and pretty as movie stars, and they expect you to wait behind their 12mpg SUV while they stop going through their mail long enough to realize that the light has turned green.

And if you don't wait with them, or spend as much time looking for a parking spot as them, they're going to call the POLICE and you'll go to JAIL!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

nsaP posted:

So the abrasive Northerners are imports then?

Wouldn't a Northerner in Florida by definition be an import?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Just got my first bike Sunday:

Got my first wave today, and I didn't even initiate it. I saw the guy coming the other way on a (I think) GSXR and thought "Nah... he's just going to ignore me, I'm on a Sportster and this is L.A. and everyone hates each other". Then he waved halfway through his turn and I quickly returned it. In retrospect he was wearing leathers (which I never see) so I should have known.

Riding to work through a residential neighborhood at 7AM, stopping at a stopsign and having a big old golden retriever lope up to his fence and wag intensely while staring at the bike - not at me, straight at the V-twin.

Also laughing hysterically at myself on the way home because I forgot to turn on the fuel valve while leaving work/showing friends my new ride :v:

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 21, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Also laughing hysterically at myself on the way home because I forgot to turn on the fuel valve while leaving work/showing friends my new ride :v:

We've all been there, done that. Congrats on the new bike!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Riding to work through a residential neighborhood at 7AM, stopping at a stopsign and having a big old golden retriever lope up to his fence and wag intensely while staring at the bike - not at me, straight at the V-twin.

Get used to being the pied piper of dogs.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
In 20+ years of riding I have never had anyone look at me sideways for lane splitting either on the highway or at stop lights. Is being a dick about that an east coast thing?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I had someone chase me down and swerve at me on the highway after I split to the front on a few lights before the highway started. Some people take it personally.

Northern Kentucky.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Thank you for making me appreciate California

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

I have that often. Need one gently caress of a car to beat most bikes, even if the bike isn't even aware he's in a race at first.

I can count the number of times I've lost to a car on one hand; I live in an area with a lot of expensive cars with owners down to have fun and I've got squiddward tendencies. Ultima GTR, big single 5th gen Mustang on low (!!!) boost, and my dad's car (~700ish AWHP 997). Then again, I've always ridden 600s. :v:

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

AnnoyBot posted:

In 20+ years of riding I have never had anyone look at me sideways for lane splitting either on the highway or at stop lights. Is being a dick about that an east coast thing?

I don't know about the whole east coast, but you're likely to be murdered in Florida. I'm posting this from my phone as I just got to class. (Math for three hours first thing in the morning is awful) to report a woman who just tried to take me out for lawfully passing her slow rear end on a divided four lane road.

I pulled out behind her from my apartment complex, then decided to pass her when I discovered she was going fifteen below the posted speed limit. I passed in the passing lane, but not before she tried to speed up to prevent me. I just rocketed past her.

She followed me all the way to school, then unlawfully passed me on a two lane road across double yellow lines on a corner, swerving at me to nudge me onto the curb that borders the road (I just hit the brakes), then got in front of me and brake checked me, then tried to back up on me before a school security officer came around the corner on his little electric golf cart thing they can't chase a polio kid down on. She sped off.

I'm serious, people here take everything like a grave insult.

Wulframn fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 21, 2012

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

I hate this loving state.

In spirit of the thread though, thing I love:
Since getting back from my trip, I've had a rediscovery of the hobby. Before it, commuting had turned simply into commuting, instead of being on a goddamn motorcycle.
I'm back to smiling every time I walk up to the thing :3:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Just got my first bike Sunday:

Got my first wave today, and I didn't even initiate it. I saw the guy coming the other way on a (I think) GSXR and thought "Nah... he's just going to ignore me, I'm on a Sportster and this is L.A. and everyone hates each other". Then he waved halfway through his turn and I quickly returned it. In retrospect he was wearing leathers (which I never see) so I should have known.

Congrats on the new bike. I live in CT and filter through to stop lights or lanes split on occasion. I don't get much grief for it, but don't try to be a dick about it either.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

AnnoyBot posted:

I'm in california. I suppose they could have just wanted to race, but it really seems aggressive when I'm starting from a foot off of their bumper while splitting. It's only happened twice.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
I love leaving for an appointment an hour early so I can spend fifty minutes just cruising around. Seriously, I have spent 25 years of my life in this town and I just accidentally found myself on a street I've never been down before in my life.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I got honked at three times on my way to work today for lane splitting. woooohoooo Calgary, Alberta

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Watch out for loogies. Some people are savages on the road.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Only time I've had someone get annoyed with me for splitting was when I used a bicycle lane to filter ahead of some cars at a traffic light. I wasn't stopping in front of the car, but next to it, and he crept forward and tried to block me. When the light turned green I was still across the intersection before he had even started rolling anyway.

Most of the time car drivers here don't care if you filter. When I came up to a traffic jam on the motorway a few weeks ago and lane split past it some drivers would even move aside a bit to make more room for me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Juat got Indian food from downtown and it's packed because of Oktoberfest. Streets are closed, traffic was at a standstill and it was busy as hell. I split thru all of that bullshit, parked my bike on the sidewalk, got my food and split my way out of there. Bikes rule.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

nsaP posted:

Juat got Indian food from downtown and it's packed because of Oktoberfest. Streets are closed, traffic was at a standstill and it was busy as hell. I split thru all of that bullshit, parked my bike on the sidewalk, got my food and split my way out of there. Bikes rule.

poo poo yes I feel like a king anytime there's crazy traffic and no parking when on the bike.

A few weeks ago I rode by a big 'Brazil day' street fair and parade and of course there was traffic and no parking for a mile. I decided on a whim that I wanted to check it out, so I just parked right at the entrance and walked around for a bit. So awesome

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

aventari posted:

poo poo yes I feel like a king on the bike.

FTFY

I feel like a sexy fast velociraptor or some poo poo on my bike. All of those other people are my prey and I am their shepherd; tending to them and culling the slow ones when the sun sets on their time.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It distracts me when life is going lovely.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
It's awesome being a motorcyclist in autumn.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

It's awesome being a motorcyclist in autumn.

dodging dead leaves...rainstorms last a lot longer and the nights are cold...it's a blast.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Hey, less squids and people are much less likely to steal your bikes. And living in the city makes motorcycling so much more pleasurable than having to ride interminable roads in the suburbs to get to places. Cities are warmer, while suburbs are loving cold and inhospitable.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I love having no seasons at all, so I can ride 365 days a year.

Only downside being its never less than 85 degrees and 90% humidity every day of the year.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

I love having no seasons at all, so I can ride 365 days a year.

Only downside being its never less than 85 degrees and 90% humidity every day of the year.

And where are you from?

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

the walkin dude posted:

Hey, less squids and people are much less likely to steal your bikes. And living in the city makes motorcycling so much more pleasurable than having to ride interminable roads in the suburbs to get to places. Cities are warmer, while suburbs are loving cold and inhospitable.

I was raised in a forest and I find the city overwhelming, cold, inhospitable, and unrelenting.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

And where are you from?

Obviously Florida

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wulframn posted:

I was raised in a forest and I find the city overwhelming, cold, inhospitable, and unrelenting.

Forests can be isolating, and cities can be alienating, but suburbs do both while providing a ceaseless supply of existential vertigo to boot.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Had some fun experimenting with the wave today. In my part of WI it seems like most of the cruiser/Harley crowd won't initiate, but if I wave early and obviously enough I usually get a half-hearted hand off the handlebar.

Then I saw a pair of ATGATT riders on sport bikes who looked for the world like the red and yellow power rangers. Arms swung waaay out the instant they caught sight of me. Why yes, it's nice to see you too. :3:

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

timn posted:

Had some fun experimenting with the wave today. In my part of WI it seems like most of the cruiser/Harley crowd won't initiate, but if I wave early and obviously enough I usually get a half-hearted hand off the handlebar.

Then I saw a pair of ATGATT riders on sport bikes who looked for the world like the red and yellow power rangers. Arms swung waaay out the instant they caught sight of me. Why yes, it's nice to see you too. :3:

I've been riding for almost three months and for the life of me I can't get HD guys to wave. Occasionally one will still flip me the bird.

Squids don't really seem to wave, which is fine since I don't usually wave at them.

Pretty much everyone else waves about 65% of the time. Everyone on a trike or sidecar rig will wave and scooters wave so ferociously I'm afraid they'll run off the road. One in particular actually stands up and turns all the way around to wave at me every time he passes me.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Wulframn posted:

I've been riding for almost three months and for the life of me I can't get HD guys to wave. Occasionally one will still flip me the bird.

I got waves returned by both sport bike and Harley riders back when I would ride my dad's Norton and BSA in the local hills. Since getting my own stable of non-brit bikes I only get waves returned by non-Harley riders.

It's funny- I remember reading threads about "the wave" on the GEnie message boards in the late 80s. Things never change.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

And where are you from?

Guam.

So actually the other downside is 35mph speed limit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Guam.

So actually the other downside is 35mph speed limit.
I guess another downside is you run out of new roads to explore pretty quickly.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Not at 35 mph he doesn't, I bet.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I love those moments where the whole experience just gels - when the bike disappears, there's no traffic, and it's just me, three feet off the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter

clutchpuck posted:

I love those moments where the whole experience just gels - when the bike disappears, there's no traffic, and it's just me, three feet off the road.

Your loving bike dissappears? poo poo dude, what the hell do you do when that happens? Float along serenely until you succumb to gravity? Is this a loving dream?

For reals: Watching the gopro footage of a fall group ride seeing the leaves dance and twirl as 3 people chase each other through corners.

• Locked thread