Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Bad Munki posted:

I've actually been using an ecollar on my 6 month old child and frankly, it's not working as well as I expected. Should I be using an alpha roll instead?

No, you got it wrong. You crab walk at the child and jab at their chest while going TSSSST.

That will set them straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

cryingscarf posted:

No, you got it wrong. You crab walk at the child and jab at their chest while going TSSSST.

That will set them straight.

I tried that but she just giggled and laughed and drooled on herself.

Also wondering if I should get her tail docked.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

wtftastic posted:

I mean I can understand seeing DA as a negative trait and having a dog who is DA (and is not typically thought of as a characteristic of that breed) being a stressful and negative experience, but I do agree that shutting it down instead of having the dog learn to cope as best it can and managing it is wrong.

Not all dogs need to like or play nice with other dogs, and given the tendency to anthropomorphize dogs, I don't understand why people can't just go "oh yeah that's cool he's just not social/extroverted/ whatever".

Because clearly your dog hasn't met the right person/dog to instantly become bffs with :downs:

In line with this, Lola let a stranger throw her ball a couple times yesterday and only barked at her once :3:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Captain Foxy posted:

This may just be me, but I feel like overall that was the dog training/owning climate before Cesar Milan and his dumbshittedness errupted. People anthropomorphized their dogs a lot more, which was both good and bad, but now I feel like more and more of your average owner thinks 'ITS THE OWNER NOT THE DOG' and 'DOG BEFORE BREED' and other :downs: stuff that makes people think you can train breed characteristics out of a dog without psychologically scarring it.

For me personally, I used to see a lot more owners having management systems for their dogs and now I see a lot more bad amateur 'training' (TSSST, or forcing unneccessary sits, punishing random behaviors, etc) instead of just using simple management like crates/baby gates/just don't walk side to side with other dogs, etc.

I think it's still anthropomorphizing, just in a different way. I mean, what would you think of a person who had to be kept separated from the general population and who was prone to physical violence when he did interact with others? That's really bad. Even introverts have friends and family and romantic relationships. So then you mix that with the idea that breed doesn't matter and that you can train a dog to be happy with everything no matter what and you've got yourself a recipe for a lot of unhappy dogs.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Ughhh I just had the worst ten minutes trying to figure out which alarm, fire or carbon monoxide, was beeping from a low battery and then trying to get it down and fixed while Beck shoved herself in between the bed and the bookshelves and shook in fear. She's been less confident since Skylar died (which I've been working on by playing tug, leting her chase squirrels up trees in the yard, etc.), and she'd never heard one of the alarms go off before, oops.

Super is right about how soft pits are, poor dog is acting like I crushed all her hopes and dreams by letting her hear a very loud shrill noise.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I am such a breedist. I hear all this about pits and their delicate souls & dog aggression issues and think: "my god, why would you want one?"

Doesn't help that they all have vagina mouths.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Citizen Rat posted:

I am such a breedist. I hear all this about pits and their delicate souls & dog aggression issues and think: "my god, why would you want one?"

Do you think you'll only ever be a Mal owner specifically from here on out or will any primitive breed do for you?

My wife is a huge Susan Conant fan. This is why we will never have a Malamute :3:

(Nori looks like a mini-Mal anyway)

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I really like dogs that are people-focused and constantly feel the need to convince me that they love me. Codependent dogs so are much easier than codependent people, after all.

edit: Beck is more fearful than a lot of pits, possibly because she is a pit/shar pei mix and views everything new as a potential dog torture device at first.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Citizen Rat posted:

If I had to interact with a malamute I think I would crumble emotionally the second it gave me a stink-eye. Then I'd probably lose composure and be mean to it when it failed to immediately do what I say all of the time. Then I'd curl into a ball and sob because there is hair on all of my things.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

^^ Mals don't really do stink-eye though. They just kinda ... wander off. They are like the surfers of the dog world. But there would definitely be fur on all your things. And then there would be fur tumble weeds. And fur where you were pretty sure it was impossible for fur to get.

TVs Ian posted:

Do you think you'll only ever be a Mal owner specifically from here on out or will any primitive breed do for you?

My wife is a huge Susan Conant fan. This is why we will never have a Malamute :3:

(Nori looks like a mini-Mal anyway)

I'm pretty much malamutes only and forever. But I'd consider a husky. Maybe a Tibetan mastiff or an akita because god drat those are pretty dogs. But malamutes have just about the easiest going attitude of any primitive breed while still thinking for themselves and not constantly needing to be up your butt 90% of the time.

There are definitely primitive breeds I won't ever own. Like Shiba Inus, because holy poo poo all that screaming.

Here, have Sitka being pretty:

Citizen Rat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 20, 2012

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Superconsndar posted:

If I had to interact with a malamute I think I would crumble emotionally the second it gave me a stink-eye. Then I'd probably lose composure and be mean to it when it failed to immediately do what I say all of the time. Then I'd curl into a ball and sob because there is hair on all of my things.

Moses would eat the poor mal then to make you feel better. Then he would curl into a ball and sob because there was hair on you.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Captain Foxy posted:

There are people in this world who go out of their way to buy a dog of a breed that they aesthetically like, but know literally nothing about, and then get mad because that dog exhibits the characteristics of the breed.

These people will never stop existing and they will never stop being loving idiots.

...sort of like the guy at my local coonhound rescue, who likes to take the dogs on walks and then yank on their leashes and yell NOOOOOO at them whenever they put their noses down to sniff? Yeah. :saddowns:

Citizen Rat posted:

I feel this way whenever people talk about their primitive/spitz breeds - why not just get a cat if you want a pet that hates you and doesn't listen to you? On the other hand, pretty much everyone hates stinky, loud, stubborn scenthounds and curs and that's cool, more for me!

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Honestly, I just don't know what to do with a dog whose problems with life aren't solved by a brisk couple mile run.

Run for six miles and then get:

So much easier to deal with. Assuming you like to run.

demozthenes posted:

I feel this way whenever people talk about their primitive/spitz breeds - why not just get a cat if you want a pet that hates you and doesn't listen to you?

Because they don't hate you? And actually get poo poo done, unlike a cat? The issue with primitive/spitz breeds isn't that they hate you. They just think they know better than you do. (Which, occasionally, is true. They are kinda terrifyingly intelligent dogs.)

Citizen Rat fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 20, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Siochain posted:

Moses would eat the poor mal then to make you feel better. Then he would curl into a ball and sob because there was hair on you.

But while also glazing over and staring into the distance because that hair belonged to another dog, who I LET in the house, and what is he even here for if I'm going to talk to other dogs, and why doesn't he just go ahead and DIE since he's obviously just a replaceable piece of trash to be tossed about in the wind and if I cared about his feelings I wouldn't have let this happen and I made him do it, he didn't want it to come to this but there was a DOG in his HOUSE and I PUT IT there and what did I expect him to do, he's just trying to do the best he can and I go around betraying him left and right and now the hair of another dog is all over the house and I expect him to just drift along like nothing happened and what do I think he's stupid, does he look stupid, do I really think he's that stupid thathe wouldn't notice or do anything about it and he got rid of that dog for me, he got rid of that bad dog for me even though I betrayed him, I always betray him because he always sees dogs, and he didn't ask to see them, he didn't want them there and NNNNNNNNnnnng:qq:

(^^All day, every day, forever, with Moses)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

demozthenes posted:

I feel this way whenever people talk about their primitive/spitz breeds - why not just get a cat if you want a pet that hates you and doesn't listen to you? On the other hand, pretty much everyone hates stinky, loud, stubborn scenthounds and curs and that's cool, more for me!

This. I cannot fathom prims and can not handle the way their brains work and don't understand whyyyyyyyyyyybad dog bad dog bad dog do what I say BAD DOG.

I stay far, far away from them because they make me insane and I ruin them.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Superconsndar posted:

But while also glazing over and staring into the distance because that hair belonged to another dog, who I LET in the house, and what is he even here for if I'm going to talk to other dogs, and why doesn't he just go ahead and DIE since he's obviously just a replaceable piece of trash to be tossed about in the wind and if I cared about his feelings I wouldn't have let this happen and I made him do it, he didn't want it to come to this but there was a DOG in his HOUSE and I PUT IT there and what did I expect him to do, he's just trying to do the best he can and I go around betraying him left and right and now the hair of another dog is all over the house and I expect him to just drift along like nothing happened and what do I think he's stupid, does he look stupid, do I really think he's that stupid thathe wouldn't notice or do anything about it and he got rid of that dog for me, he got rid of that bad dog for me even though I betrayed him, I always betray him because he always sees dogs, and he didn't ask to see them, he didn't want them there and NNNNNNNNnnnng:qq:

Oh man, this is too funny. Poor, sad Moses.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Superconsndar posted:

I love Moses. I love him so much.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Superconsndar posted:

Are pits supposed to be this neurotic or is Moses just broken?

Superconsndar posted:

This. I cannot fathom prims and can not handle the way their brains work and don't understand whyyyyyyyyyyybad dog bad dog bad dog do what I say BAD DOG.

I stay far, far away from them because they make me insane and I ruin them.

Awww. They'll do what you say if there's something in it for them. (You being happy is not normally sufficient.) NILIF training method is pretty much the most awesome thing ever for these guys. It's also hilarious because now when Sitka really wants something she'll run through her entire repertoire of tricks to get my attention. (a malamute doing 'roll over' never stops being funny.)

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I think I would have a nervous breakdown living with an animal that, like, cared on a deep emotional level about what I want.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

I think I would have a nervous breakdown living with an animal that, like, cared on a deep emotional level about what I want.

Honestly it's kind of weird sometimes when I look up from what I'm doing and the dog is staring intently at me to see how I'm feeling. Most of the time I'm just really smug because haha the dog loves me the most :smug:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Citizen Rat posted:

Are pits supposed to be this neurotic or is Moses just broken?

Moses is the result of hoggers experimenting with making APBTs smarter so they can be better, more versatile hunters. They haven't nailed down what drive levels need to be where in regards to make this work right- traditionally, pit bulls are supposed to be incredibly trainable but bad at thinking on their own. They're designed to take orders and never, ever question them- a traditional APBT should be a gleefully dumb ball of joy who sits on a chain doing nothing until it gets taken off periodically to go eat a face and they were bred to be happy and fine with that existence. When you make them smart, some of them wig out like Moses has and get all Flowers For Algernon with feelings and emotional drama. He's not "broken," he's just the result of breeding for new stuff that hasn't had the kinks ironed out yet.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I could never never never have a primitive dog or (another) scent hound/mix. I find Jess extremely frustrating sometimes, and she will often make me lose my temper and I have to send her into the other room because she is a bad dog who doesn't care what I feel like Lola does :saddowns:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bailey just doesn't give a poo poo about most things I say or do. Every now and then he'll do something that pisses me off (like chewing on cardboard boxes on their way to the trash) and I'll attempt a half hearted "bad dog, look at this" (I usually make sad faces and mopey noises while pointing to it) and Bailey's response is like a short look away and a lip lick and a sad face for like 5 seconds. Then he gets up an walks away and then if I make eye contact later he tries the "oh saddd" look again.

He loves the words "good boy" and he'll actively try to get me to give him treats and food, but he knows what he wants and he's not afraid to ignore me if I'm not offering it. He also is not an insanely cuddly dog (he likes to lay on my couch and watch me game) but it makes you appreciate it so much more when he wants to.

I don't know if all of that is ACD or what. I don't think I could deal with a dog that was willful and stupid though like a lot of hounds are (and I'm not sure I could deal with an intensely attached dog either)- I grew up with spitzes and so I enjoy their personalities and smarts.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

gently caress All Dogges Forever And Ever.

My boyfriend's dog snores like a pig and smells like a butt. My cat sleeps on his face cutely and smells like nothing. :smug:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

You're lucky, Serella. My cats puke on everything, have frequent snitfits about their litter and smell like litter. I like the little black one (she kills poo poo) but the other two are such a pain.

Fraction posted:

I could never never never have a primitive dog or (another) scent hound/mix. I find Jess extremely frustrating sometimes, and she will often make me lose my temper and I have to send her into the other room because she is a bad dog who doesn't care what I feel like Lola does :saddowns:

I grew up in rural Alaska. I have never had anything other than malamutes or huskies. I just get them. Other dogs are really confusing to me. How the hell can you tell what they are thinking when they don't have, like, half the body language cues? Dogs with floppy ears are particularly strange.

Citizen Rat fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 20, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Citizen Rat posted:

You're lucky, Serella. My cats puke on everything, have frequent snitfits about their litter and smell like litter. I like the little black one (she kills poo poo) but the other two are such a pain.

I grew up in rural Alaska. I have never had anything other than malamutes or huskies. I just get them. Other dogs are really confusing to me. How the hell can you tell what they are thinking when they don't have, like, half the body language cues? Dogs with floppy ears are particularly strange.

See, prims are confusing to me and one of the reasons they freak me out is that I have a hard time reading their body language. How do you tell what it is going to do when it doesn't have a vagina mouth and exagerrate the hell out of everything it does?

Primitive breeds always look to me like they're just staring disdainfully while standing delicately on their tiptoes ready to spring away from someone that dares to speak its name. No matter what they are doing.

TBH pit bulls are the only dogs I've "gotten." I understand the mechanics of other breeds brains logically, but they just don't mesh with me at all and I end up just impotently yelling at a confused animal. Scenthounds are probably the most difficult thing I can deal with, just because I'm used to them, and I still have to walk away from my mom's puppy sometimes because I get all frustrated when Smells Are More Important or You Don't Have Food So Bye.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Superconsndar posted:

Primitive breeds always look to me like they're just staring disdainfully while standing delicately on their tiptoes ready to spring away from someone that dares to speak its name. No matter what they are doing.

Well, yeah, because they are.

e: Case in point:

ee: Alternately:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 20, 2012

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
One of my cats smells unbelievably bad. I have to give her a bath once a month or so otherwise she gets too stinky for cuddles. Now we've been sorting through some dental problems forever (last round of teeth pulling on Tuesday...I hope anyway, was supposed to be this week but my vet postponed because she has the flu) she's stopped self-grooming pretty much entirely and it is horrible.

No joke one time we'd been off doing water search training and while we were packing up camp at the end of the day George found the sample we'd been using in the lake and he knocked it over and since it had been sitting in the water all day it was very liquidy. Then he rolled in it and got himself good and stinky. I wasn't paying that close attention because I knew where he was and I thought they hadn't picked it up yet. So then we had to drive 2.5 hours home with all the windows down and my dog still smelling like death (literally).

And even that wasn't as bad as the way my cat smells if she goes too long without a bath. I don't know what I did to deserve her. My other cat doesn't stink at all though, he is very fastidious and all I have to do is trim his claws and brush out spots that he can't reach very well like behind his ears, because otherwise they will get matted.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Well, yeah, because they are.

e: Case in point:

ee: Alternately:

Oh my god Lookithisface! I would smush the hell out of that face. And his one lazy ear! I love mals so much. They are such silly babies.

Superconsndar posted:

Oh well. Shiba Inus maybe. Or Siberian huskies because they actually are delicate, dainty creatures. I'm pretty sure if mal tried to spring anywhere they'd promptly go crashing all over everything. Malamutes are not the most graceful of dogs. They are pretty much the big, friendly bruisers of the primitive breeds. They are there to Pull A Thing, Kill A Thing, and maybe watch the kids.

Citizen Rat fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 20, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That is all 100% fact.

And yeah, that one up there is dopey as poo poo. She's not my dog, she belongs to a friend, but when I said, "I need the dopiest picture of Cana you can find, stat" he didn't seem at all confused or surprised, and it only took about ten seconds to come up with that first one.

e: seriously, head like a truck on that dog

And heck, while I'm posting pictures of Cana the Wunderdumb, here's a pic of her with her brother (him left, her right):

He is freakin' huuuuuuge.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 20, 2012

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Mals are the stoner/surfers of the primitive breeds. I like my prims, but I don't like 'em too neurotic. Mals excel at being derpy, silly dogs who are just here for the good time.

And yeah, they get pretty big. Sitka is kinda small for a mal at only 75lb. But she was the runt of the litter while her brother, JB, has a good forty pounds on her. I'll try to find some pictures of the two of them together because they are, like, wonder derp powers activate!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Citizen Rat posted:

Oh my god Lookithisface! I would smush the hell out of that face. And his one lazy ear! I love mals so much. They are such silly babies.

Oh well. Shiba Inus maybe. Or Siberian huskies because they actually are delicate, dainty creatures. I'm pretty sure if mal tried to spring anywhere they'd promptly go crashing all over everything. Malamutes are not the most graceful of dogs. They are pretty much the big, friendly bruisers of the primitive breeds. They are there to Pull A Thing, Kill A Thing, and maybe watch the kids.

Definitely Shibas. I call to Koji and he runs the other way. I'm pretty sure Koji's name is the treat bag shaking by now.

Koji doesn't scream so much as yodel. My current foster screams, though. I want to kill her every morning she wakes us up with it.

But I'm a very stubborn person who likes being right, so I think I get the joy of out stubborning and earning the respect of my breed. Plus they are small enough I can haul them under one arm if I have to because sometimes you really have to yell "I'm bigger than you!" That usually gets the "...the gently caress?" face so you can sneak in and grab them.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Oh my god, Bailey is the dog police. A guy brought two totally wild beagles into the park with Bailey and they went off and zoomed around and occasionally they'd try to engage him and he'd just look confused and would play a little bit.

Then one of them was begging me for treats and jumping up on me and Bailey was over there sitting next to me looking at the other dog and occasionally trying to insert himself as if to say, "That's not the way you do this". No bad body language (that I saw) just...dog police.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
My Tokay geckos laid a second pair of eggs last night and mama seems very intent on guarding them. I keep worrying that she will break them, but she hasn't budged since last night. It is so cute how she protects her clutch. I don't know of really any other geckos that do this. I also have never seen her sit right on top of a clutch like this. You can see the two new eggs under her ribs.

"Please go the gently caress away or I will maul you."

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Someone posted a picture of a boxer puppy on facebook as a pit bull and a bunch of people are going YEP THAT'S 100 PERCENT PIT I KNOW I SEEN EM MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET AN EDUCATION IF U DISAGREE and now I am arguing with these people

fffffffffffsss hold me, goons :cripes:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
They just took down this dog's petfinder listing, but they had a him listed as a lab. :psyduck:

I see... Shepherd and....uh....a tiger.

I won't be ready for a dog for another few months but um gonna go get him ok?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

That one pit bull in the bottom pic looks just like one of my old pibbles a blooooooooooooooooo :qq:

But yeah the local rescues on my facebook list crazy random poo poo as labs constantly. Gumbo Puppy was listed as a lab mix and when my mom was like "looks pretty houndy to me" they were like NO HE IS A LAB. MAYBE PUREBLOOD.

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010
Shelters seem to either go full PIBBLES ARE POOR MISUNDERSTOOD ANGELS THAT JUST NEED TO BE TAUGHT FIGHTIN IS WRONG AND SAVED FROM THEMSELVES :qq: :qq: or just what no that's not a pitbull it's a boxer lab healer akita mix what are you talking about!!!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

That one pit bull in the bottom pic looks just like one of my old pibbles a blooooooooooooooooo :qq:

But yeah the local rescues on my facebook list crazy random poo poo as labs constantly. Gumbo Puppy was listed as a lab mix and when my mom was like "looks pretty houndy to me" they were like NO HE IS A LAB. MAYBE PUREBLOOD.

Big boxy skull? Lab.

Coat color any possible pattern/coloration on earth? Lab.

I guess they figure the huge chunky head has to make the dog part lab but ehhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
To be fair, most mutty mutts probably have some lab in them somewhere, since they're so popular.

• Locked thread