Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Incidentally, there's a weird issue with the Office update. (And I got mine via Microsoft AutoUpdate.)

The OS still thinks they're low-res only and I had to change the timestamps on the bundles before they would open in retina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

gnrk posted:

So your phone number is listed somewhere in this window? In the "reached for messages at:" and/or in the "Start new conversations from:" drop down menu? I can't get it working; iMessages sent to my phone number just stay on my phone.

Have you upgraded to iOS 6 yet on your iPhone? Make sure everything is up to date on your laptop and phone. iOS 6 will connect your phone number to your Apple ID, then a popup will show up on your laptop that asks if you want to receive messages from that number on your laptop.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Have you upgraded to iOS 6 yet on your iPhone? Make sure everything is up to date on your laptop and phone. iOS 6 will connect your phone number to your Apple ID, then a popup will show up on your laptop that asks if you want to receive messages from that number on your laptop.
Yeah, both my iPhone and iPad have been updated. A friend of mine just got the popup you referenced but he said he said it just showed up out of the blue. I guess there's nothing much I can do besides make sure everything is on the same Apple ID and wait. Annoying.

edit: I noticed in the FaceTime section of Settings, a message like "Activation failed. Turn FaceTime off and on again to retry" sat underneath the FaceTime on/off button. And after turning it on and off again it synced everything up with my Mac and iPad. Go figure.

gnrk fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 20, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Experto Crede posted:

10.7.5 is out too. I thought that it had been cancelled in all honesty...

Still needed at my workplace due to some software that wont run on 10.8.x

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
Jeez, the update is projected to take 8 hours to download. I'm pulling 23 mb/s down, so it has to be Apple's servers.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Welp, the stuttering and jerkiness and occasional freezes in Mountain Lion have gotten worse, to like twice an hour now. I'm really kind of pissed about this. This article from August is still accurate for me. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57489874-263/sound-stuttering-after-mountain-lion-installation/

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Is there any way to send iMessages to people from my laptop and have them receive it as if it's coming from my iPhone number?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

qbert posted:

Is there any way to send iMessages to people from my laptop and have them receive it as if it's coming from my iPhone number?

Yes, and in fact that's the default configuration.

Check the "Start new conversations from:" dropdown in the Messages preferences.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Molten Llama posted:

Yes, and in fact that's the default configuration.

Check the "Start new conversations from:" dropdown in the Messages preferences.

Thanks. Apple has finally persuaded me to use the Messages app on my MacBook and iPad!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Oh hey, a kernel panic! This is great.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bob Morales posted:

Okay, so a co-worker wants to upgrade her personal laptop (2008 Aluminium Macbook) from Leopard to pretty much anything - her wedding photographer uses something that requires Adobe Air and it only runs on 10.6 and up.

There's no SL in the Apple store anymore, what's up with that? And it's $79 on Amazon.com

Pirating a 10.8 .dmg and once you install it, buying it from the store is by far the easiest way to get a <=10.5 Mac a legit copy of System 10.8

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So far, smooth sailing for 10.8.2 on a 2009 Mac Pro, 10.7.5 on a lovely MacBook early 2009.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

So far, smooth sailing for 10.8.2 on a 2009 Mac Pro, 10.7.5 on a lovely MacBook early 2009.

10.7.5 on a 2010 iMac and 2011 Mac Mini here at work, no issues so far. 10.8.2 on 2011 13" and 11" Airs at home, didn't notice anything either. Will get to test battery life tomorrow.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Oh hey, a kernel panic! This is great.

Don't know if you've tried yet but resetting the SMC and PRAM might be beneficial.

You can also re-intall OSX over your current installation and it will retrain all your data. Maybe that'll help. :(

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've not noticed a drastic battery life improvement on my late 2011 13" MBP on 10.8.2.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Anyone else notice that the space switching animation has sped up? Or am I going crazy?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

carry on then posted:

Anyone else notice that the space switching animation has sped up? Or am I going crazy?

I didn't notice this last night personally, however I just wanted to say that I hate waiting for the space switching animation to come to a complete stop before you can actually DO anything on that desktop.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Feel bad for Dempsey, Also I love a classic diving header.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

sweek0 posted:

Feel bad for Dempsey, Also I love a classic diving header.

What is it with the Apple threads and the Parlour?

x-virge
May 25, 2003

carry on then posted:

Yes, it is faster in 10.8.2.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
Any recommendations for a skitch replacement other than snagit?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Any recommendations for a skitch replacement other than snagit?

Is there any reason why you wouldn't just use the built in screen shot shortcuts?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know what would be causing mDNSresponder to be constantly communicating with my router after updating to 10.8.2? I googled it a bit and everyone who's had that problem blamed it on an Epson scanner driver that I dont have....any ideas?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I have OS X on my SSD and my user profile on another HDD in my iMac. If I were to wipe OS X and re-install it, what directories/files in my home directory (Library, Preferences, Application Support, etc) should I also get rid to ensure the most unconfigured, unmolested OS X reinstallation?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Man, battery life is way better on my 2010 MBP. Definitely back to at least Snow Leopard levels. Also, I never noticed before 10.8.2 but on ical, when I put in an event like "work 11-7pm" it just writes "work" and automatically sets the time to 11am - 7pm. That's loving awesome.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
If you use any Wine based software (Wineskin-based wrappers, Crossover Games, etc.), do not upgrade to 10.8.2. Something in the new video drivers messes up a bunch on OpenGL stuff and it's not allowing any of them to work properly.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I tried redownloading Lion since I'm selling my machine and wanted to create a usb boot "disc." However it didn't complete for some reason, and once I cancelled I can't figure out anyway to try to install it again. Under "purchased" it doesn't show up. I've tried holding alt/control whatever when I'm clicking on the tab and opening the App store but no dice. Any other ideas? I also can't "buy" it again since it's not listed in the store anymore.

Also can I format my machine with the disc from the previous OS X version if all else fails?

edit: nm I somehow "hid" it. I only discovered this by viewing my account.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 21, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

quote:

Adds an option to discard the changes in the original document when choosing Save As
Does this mean the old Save As is (optionally*) completely back now? (vs the previous half way but sort of messed up by auto saving one introduced in 10.8)

*Options?! This new Apple is crazy :ohdear:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Welp, the stuttering and jerkiness and occasional freezes in Mountain Lion have gotten worse, to like twice an hour now. I'm really kind of pissed about this. This article from August is still accurate for me. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57489874-263/sound-stuttering-after-mountain-lion-installation/

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I have OS X on my SSD and my user profile on another HDD in my iMac. If I were to wipe OS X and re-install it, what directories/files in my home directory (Library, Preferences, Application Support, etc) should I also get rid to ensure the most unconfigured, unmolested OS X reinstallation?

You too? I thought I was the only one.

I also have an iMac with an SSD and HD, and this just started happening a few days ago.

I'm trying an OS X reinstall now.

On an unrelated note, are people still using Apple's Java 6 release or should I use Oracle's Java 7 release now?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 21, 2012

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Just transitioned back to OS X after five years away. Everything feels fantastic, as does my 13" MBA (I can't believe how affordable they've become, even before education discounts).

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but I couldn't seem to find it on search. Is there a mirror of the last SALR build lying around anywhere? I'm trying out Safari as my primary browser (I assume plugins like youtube5 etc are great for battery life). It's a drat sight better than it used to be.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

You too? I thought I was the only one.

I also have an iMac with an SSD and HD, and this just started happening a few days ago.

I'm trying an OS X reinstall now.

Do you have a Thunderbolt display? I'm trying to narrow things down.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Setting up a machine for a new guy, how the gently caress do you get on the app store so you can get Xcode and update the OS without adding a credit card to the iTunes account? :argh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I have an odd issue. My Time Machine drive seems to think there's two partitions on the drive so whenever I eject it it asks me if I want to eject both or not. I think this predates me installing 10.8.2 but I'm not 100% sure of that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

computer parts posted:

I have an odd issue. My Time Machine drive seems to think there's two partitions on the drive so whenever I eject it it asks me if I want to eject both or not. I think this predates me installing 10.8.2 but I'm not 100% sure of that.
What does the partition scheme look like in Disk Utility?

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Setting up a machine for a new guy, how the gently caress do you get on the app store so you can get Xcode and update the OS without adding a credit card to the iTunes account? :argh:

Theres a little "No Card" square that appears next to the credit card icons you can click on if you fail the screen a few times.

Did it the the other day but we had a itunes card to use not sure if that triggered it but it still tried to force us to input a credit card twice before the option appeared.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Viktor posted:

Theres a little "No Card" square that appears next to the credit card icons you can click on if you fail the screen a few times.

Did it the the other day but we had a itunes card to use not sure if that triggered it but it still tried to force us to input a credit card twice before the option appeared.

That's what Apple support site said but I couldn't get it to work. So I added my personal card, verified, then removed it. Ugh.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Do you have a Thunderbolt display? I'm trying to narrow things down.
No, I only use the built-in iMac display.

edit: I think I had installed VMWare and Skype in the few days before I noticed it happening.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 21, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone know a reason why a MacBook won't show the update to 10.8.2, or any other OS updates in the App store? It's a 10.8 machine, brand new out of the box. Rebooted it a few times, I was able to download other things from the App store but the update isn't showing up.

I downloaded the combo update and will install that later but I was just curious as to what would cause that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone know a reason why a MacBook won't show the update to 10.8.2, or any other OS updates in the App store? It's a 10.8 machine, brand new out of the box. Rebooted it a few times, I was able to download other things from the App store but the update isn't showing up.

I downloaded the combo update and will install that later but I was just curious as to what would cause that.

Is it registered with Apple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Arivia posted:

Is it registered with Apple?

I'm pretty sure I skipped that, since I'm not going to be the user of it. I'll have to try that and see what changes.