Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Chevy system sounds like the Nissan/Infiniti VVEL system which continuously varies lift and timing on the intake and exhaust valves.

VVEL seems to be fairly variable with the degree of lift change.

Throatwarbler posted:

This is a system that varies valve lift, like VTEC. This mechanism is unique as far as I can tell, the closest comparable system, and they're not really the same either, would be the Toyota's VVTL-i that they only used on one engine and no longer make.

This system seems to be 2 mode, with the novelty being a roller bearing to reduce friction when in high lift mode. Compared to VTEC and VVTL that use a mechanical pin acutated by oil.

For stuff like this, it's moderately fun to see the wheel get reinvented. But where are my drat camless valves already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

kimbo305 posted:

VVEL seems to be fairly variable with the degree of lift change.

This system seems to be 2 mode, with the novelty being a roller bearing to reduce friction when in high lift mode. Compared to VTEC and VVTL that use a mechanical pin acutated by oil.

For stuff like this, it's moderately fun to see the wheel get reinvented. But where are my drat camless valves already?

When automakers stop fighting and agree on a new standard for higher voltage electrical systems.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Xguard86 posted:

I did watch a guy try and fail to back a murcielago into a spot at starbucks for 5 minutes. It was like catching a super model on the shitter.
Yeah, I watched a guy parallel parking a Gallardo. Apparently it's the hardest thing in the world.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

awesome-express posted:

And here's the McLaren F1 successor:

:stare:

Autoblog link
Am I the only one who sees :smaug:?

As for people parking exotics, I've seen a few locals parking their Ferraris and Astons without issue, but those are a bit more conventional than Lambos. It's still sad either way.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I will take my cam how God intended, under the heads, not over! I still have to recover the cost of my adjustable pushrod!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
ferrari and aston martin don't seem to build their cars as wide as lambo. Those things take up the horizontal space of an SUV with a probably worse turn radius and no curb hopping.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MrChips posted:

When automakers stop fighting and agree on a new standard for higher voltage electrical systems.

Are there actuators up to the task of opening and closing valves several hundred times per minute for hours at time over the course of 10-15 years without failure? I figured that would be the biggest stumbling block.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

rscott posted:

Are there actuators up to the task of opening and closing valves several hundred times per minute for hours at time over the course of 10-15 years without failure? I figured that would be the biggest stumbling block.

I don't know of a powertrain warranty that runs 15 years. :smug:

Inertiatic
Apr 9, 2004

awesome-express posted:

And here's the McLaren F1 successor:

:stare:

Autoblog link

The front end looks really squished in that photo, but the rear end is incredible.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

rscott posted:

I think Fiat has an electro-hydraulic system now. Still uses cams, though, but the cam actuates a hydraulic piston connected to the intake valves.

And who was it that was working on a pneumatically actuated valvetrain?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td9Gz_h7Qpg
Multiair is a cool piece of technology, and right now they're working on integrating it with the Pentastar and Hemi (I'm assuming) engines. Hopefully it won't be a liability as the cars equipped with it age.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
edit: ^^ That was really cool.

rscott posted:

Technically, it just has to open, right? Or do electric systems do away with valve springs too?

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 19, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Why are poppet valves always round and not elliptical or asymmetric or an array of smaller valves that would give proportionately more flow area?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tekne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td9Gz_h7Qpg
Multiair is a cool piece of technology, and right now they're working on integrating it with the Pentastar and Hemi (I'm assuming) engines. Hopefully it won't be a liability as the cars equipped with it age.

Multiair with the free-flowing Hemi heads would be ridiculous.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

grover posted:

Why are poppet valves always round and not elliptical or asymmetric or an array of smaller valves that would give proportionately more flow area?

Maybe something to do with the seal and/or rotation of the valve?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I gotta chime in and say that MultiAir is amazing. I've been rocking around in my parents 500 twinair and it definitely doesn't feel like a 2 cylinder car.

plus the noises it makes are amazing. grrrrrr bub bub bub grrrrrr!

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

VikingSkull posted:

Multiair with the free-flowing Hemi heads would be ridiculous.
That would be and sound amazing.

I think we can expect to see some awesome products from Fiatsler in the coming years. An Italian poster on Allpar shared this interesting tidbit:

quote:

I think we have been talking so much about this that somehow we lost sight of the meaning of the original news.
I believe that it is the new 200 that will be an Americanised version of the new Giulia and share the Alfa Romeo CUSW+ architecture in a similar way to what was done for the Giulietta and Dart.
Perhaps in Detroit and indeed in Turin it is thought that it is better not to reveal the extent of group integration at both design and engineering level. The new organization is broadly divided with small cars based in Turin and large cars based in Detroit, with the Giulia/200 seating right in the middle, hence maximum integration. The driveline is mainly under FPT located in both continents and almost fully integrated now.
There are many Chrysler people working in Turin and many Fiat people working in Detroit. Many of the changes to the American cars have come from Turin’s knowhow just as many of the changes to the European cars have/will come from Detroit’s. As a supplier to both companies I can see this very clearly.
So far they have done very well and I expect them to do even better in the future as the integration progresses and available knowledge is fully merged. The new Giulia and the 200 will be very different and yet share a considerable amount of engineering exactly as intended.
While integration has served both rather well, it'll be interesting to see how consumers react to Alfa and Maserati vehicles sharing or based on Chrysler designs. Their current stuff, like the Pentastar V6 and LX platform, are very competitive and will no doubt perform even better with some Italian lovin', but it could put off some people. I think most of their potential consumers won't care at all after a test drive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MrChips posted:

Something that hopefully electric cars will really help with.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

grover posted:

I would imagine because for the longest time, circular was the only easy (read: cheap) shape to make. Even today it's still probably the cheapest by a long shot.

What still surprises me to this day is that when Honda made the NR engine (that's the one with oval pistons), they stuck with a conventional circular poppet valves.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think there is something about a round valve that contributes to them being self sealing i.e. the more pressure in the cylinder the tighter the seal? If you had a valve that was square or had weird angles and stuff it wouldn't make a good seal unless it was perfectly aligned and whatnot.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tekne posted:

That would be and sound amazing.

I think we can expect to see some awesome products from Fiatsler in the coming years. An Italian poster on Allpar shared this interesting tidbit:
While integration has served both rather well, it'll be interesting to see how consumers react to Alfa and Maserati vehicles sharing or based on Chrysler designs. Their current stuff, like the Pentastar V6 and LX platform, are very competitive and will no doubt perform even better with some Italian lovin', but it could put off some people. I think most of their potential consumers won't care at all after a test drive.

Especially considering that the current limitation of the multiair heads is that they are too big and limit an OHC head to being SOHC. A pushrod engine would not have this issue and a large OHV V8 would actually be a better application of the multiair tech than a small OHC inline engine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Throatwarbler posted:

Especially considering that the current limitation of the multiair heads is that they are too big and limit an OHC head to being SOHC. A pushrod engine would not have this issue and a large OHV V8 would actually be a better application of the multiair tech than a small OHC inline engine.

And you could have some semblance of VVT on a pushrod motor with that, running a high-overlap performance cam and reducing overlap with the multiair system.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well all GM and Chrysler pushrod engines already use VVT if I'm not mistaken, with a phase actuator on the camshaft. But the variability is limited since there is only 1 camshaft the overlap can't be altered because both intake and exhaust timing will be advanced at the same time. The Viper's V10 actually does have true VVT through concentric camshafts.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Cream_Filling posted:

The accident argument seems fairly reasonable, though you would have to look at accident rates over time to see just how common it is to total out cars over time (I bet it's less common than you think). But not really the rust one. You can stop rust by spending money on engineering.

Advanced rust protection techniques pretty much fall apart when a car has been in a collision. Modern body shops do pretty much poo poo work across the board. The work performed by a body shop would take any advanced rust protection and lower it to the same level as any other car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Because they're not necessary and other parts of the car will fail far in advance of the wheel bearings on a normal duty schedule, and consumers would prefer to save a couple hundred bucks on something they really don't need and doesn't have any noticeable impact.
Except upgraded wheel bearings would probably cost Ford maaaaybe three dollars per corner.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PBCrunch posted:

Except upgraded wheel bearings would probably cost Ford maaaaybe three dollars per corner.

Multiply 3 dollars by four corners by 100k units, and you're looking at 1.2 million dollars in basically free money, since most customers can't tell the difference and still won't be replacing them for years.

Of course, keep doing that going through every component in the car again and again and eventually you have a 90s GM product.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 20, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Throatwarbler posted:

[T]he closest comparable system, and they're not really the same either, would the Toyota's VVTL-i that they only used on one engine and no longer make.

I miss that Matrix so much. Insane little car.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Cream_Filling posted:

Multiply 3 dollars by four corners by 100k units, and you're looking at 1.2 million dollars in basically free money, since most customers can't tell the difference and still won't be replacing them for years.

Of course, keep doing that going through every component in the car again and again and eventually you have a 90s GM product.
Nah. To get to that level, you'd have to use the same front brakes (and hubs maybe?) on eleven different cars spread across four platforms—the C, F, H and U platforms, to be specific. There's a good chance the W could be thrown in there too, making it an even fifteen different cars using the same parts. How's that for cost cutting?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's possible that the 2014 Corvette no longer shares a steering wheel and seats from a Cobalt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thanks for the preview of the 2014 Cruze SS interior.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrChips posted:

I would imagine because for the longest time, circular was the only easy (read: cheap) shape to make. Even today it's still probably the cheapest by a long shot.

What still surprises me to this day is that when Honda made the NR engine (that's the one with oval pistons), they stuck with a conventional circular poppet valves.

It's probably easier to manufacture in terms of balancing and I would also imagine that heat dissipation properties are better as well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It is flat out a thousand times easier to make something with a circular profile than oval, especially to make a consistent batch.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

It's possible that the 2014 Corvette no longer shares a steering wheel and seats from a Cobalt.

Did the Cobalt seats have adjustable bolsters, because the 2011 'vette did.

I seem to remember the Cruze steering wheel being flat out nicer than the Corvette one though.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I expect the new Vette to have a significantly better interior since Chrysler upped the ante big time with the Viper.

Also: Expect a much more expensive MSRP.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Did the Cobalt seats have adjustable bolsters, because the 2011 'vette did.

I seem to remember the Cruze steering wheel being flat out nicer than the Corvette one though.

I'm just kidding about the seats. For 2012 they put in new seats that were a major step up.

The Cobalt probably didn't have adjustable bolsters, considering the interior was so terrible that it actually didn't pass Federal vehicle safety regulations. The NHTSA had to force GM to recall it and put in softer materials so you don't dash your brains out in a minor accident.

NHTSA posted:

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHEVROLET / COBALT 2005-2006
NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 07V014000
Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES NOT EQUIPPED WITH OPTIONAL ROOF-MOUNTED SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 201, 'OCCUPANT PROTECTION IN INTERIOR IMPACT.'
Consequence:
IN A CRASH, HEAD IMPACT PROTECTION MAY BE INADEQUATE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL ENERGY ABSORBING PLASTIC TO THE HEADLINER TRIM TO REDUCE THE SEVERITY OF HEAD IMPACTS IN A CRASH. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 21, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 06217. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://www.safercar.gov.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MrChips posted:

The only reason they even made the NR was to get around a race series' cylinder limit.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Drove a Cadillac ATS this morning. It was the 2.5 automatic; they haven't started production on the 2.0s yet. Was completely blown away at how good it was even in the worst configuration.

The interior is best in class hands down. The only thing I didn't warm up to was the instrument cluster. I wish they had put the huge info screen between two defined pods of gages like Audi is doing. The CUE system worked surprisingly well and intuitively.

The 2.5 is okay but not great. Certainly no worse than the base 4 in the MB C class, which is equally un engaging. Handling and ride are arguably better than the 3 series. Definitely more road feel and just as balanced.

I may just buy a 2.0 manual next year...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tekne posted:

Ask a Merc SLS owner if they care that their car is a Viper underneath, I'm sure they won't even notice (or believe you).

The fact is, Americans have always done large cars fairly well, and trucks to great effect, and Europeans have always had the best small cars and sports cars. A company that gets the best of both worlds with management that isn't retarded, like Chrysler and Fiat seem to have, is just going to be awesome.

They certainly can't gently caress up Chrysler anywhere near what MB did, that was a loving travesty.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Ask a Merc SLS owner if they care that their car is a Viper underneath, I'm sure they won't even notice (or believe you).

The fact is, Americans have always done large cars fairly well, and trucks to great effect, and Europeans have always had the best small cars and sports cars. A company that gets the best of both worlds with management that isn't retarded, like Chrysler and Fiat seem to have, is just going to be awesome.

They certainly can't gently caress up Chrysler anywhere near what MB did, that was a loving travesty.

I'm almost scared to be run out of AI by admitting I owned one. In my defense, it was the first car I bought on my own... Sorry, that isn't a defense, just a testament to my stupidity and excessive alcohol intake in my early 20s.

Edit: I've tried to make up for it with an LS2 and an LS6 since then.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 21, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So other than looking kind of goofy what's wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Some of the worst rearward visibility of any car I've ever been in, for one.