Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
CHIDO! Sending get well wishes your way for the baby chicks. :sympathy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Well, the brahma and wyandotte are still alive. The brahma is a brat and attention whore, and she's pretty healthy. The other one is still weak, but my nieces told me she's been eating and they've been giving her the homemade gatorade throughout the afternoon with a dropper. It seems that it won't quite drink from the wateter on her own yet, but at least she's still alive and more active than this morning.

I was dreading getting home from school and fine another casualty, I'm glad she's still fighting and it seems that she might pull through. The brahma has been named Caponera by my mom who's visiting, and the wyandotte is Ravioli, in honor of Spaghetti :unsmith:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Well, the brahma and wyandotte are still alive. The brahma is a brat and attention whore, and she's pretty healthy. The other one is still weak, but my nieces told me she's been eating and they've been giving her the homemade gatorade throughout the afternoon with a dropper.

I was dreading getting home from school and fine another casualty, I'm glad she's still fighting and it seems that she might pull through. The brahma has been named Caponera by my mom who's visiting, and the wyandotte is Ravioli, in honor of Spaghetti :unsmith:

Could be that the wyandotte just wants to be spoiled. ;) I remember how terribly spoiled (and tame) VS's late Rose (the first) was. VS could just stick her hand in the brooder box and Rose would come running for special attention and treats.

What does Caponera mean? And Ravioli is a fantastic name. :)

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
Love the names! It's so sad that these girls have to struggle so early in life, but you (and your nieces) will get them through.

Have fun and good luck at class today.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Oh, lots of posts in the chicken thread! I hope it's something cute!' :3:

Several pages later...:cry:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Honestly I don't know what caponera means exactly, but I like how it sounds. Ravioli is still wobbly but it's drinking water on its own now, I'm still worried, though. When it stops drinking, some water come out of it's beak, and it does a movement as if gasping for air or trying to swallow something, :(.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Chido posted:

Honestly I don't know what caponera means exactly, but I like how it sounds. Ravioli is still wobbly but it's drinking water on its own now, I'm still worried, though. When it stops drinking, some water come out of it's beak, and it does a movement as if gasping for air or trying to swallow something, :(.

http://dictionary.reverso.net/spanish-english/caponera

:haw:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Ravioli is still wobbly but it's drinking water on its own now, I'm still worried, though. When it stops drinking, some water come out of it's beak, and it does a movement as if gasping for air or trying to swallow something, :(.

Maybe VS, or one of the people who raise lots of chickens, might have an idea about Ravioli. Poor little chickie. :(

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

'Oh, lots of posts in the chicken thread! I hope it's something cute!' :3:

Several pages later...:cry:

Maybe this will make it better. Ravioli is eating! My sister put them in hat box for now because sugar ants decided to invade the brooder/rabbit crate the chicks were in :mad:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Inveigle posted:

Maybe VS, or one of the people who raise lots of chickens, might have an idea about Ravioli. Poor little chickie. :(

All I can suggest is to keep them warm, quiet, and keep up with the Pedialyte. Scrambled eggs and tiny bits of diced, peeled grapes and tomato would be a good thing, too. They are too young for mealworms just yet unfortunately...

If the stress of shipping and being without water for too long has damaged their kidneys/liver, there isn't much else you can do that I know of, poor babies. :(

Great names, tho! If anyone can save these babies, Chido can, she's a great chicken mom :)

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010
Gosh I've been F5ing this thread like mad for good news about Chido's little chicks, so glad to hear they're both eating. Go little Ravioli, you can make it!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I don't know if Ravioli and Caponera are having a heavy case of chick derpiness and narcolepsy, or if their tiny brains were damaged too. Capo is active and everything, but then suddenly she drops wherever she is standing and closes her eyes and falls asleep. Ravioli tends to stand in one place and doesn't move as much, but she does drink well from the dropper and eats, she just looks weaker than the other and less active. I don't know if she'll make it, but she's hanging in there.

Now, if Ravioli makes it despite the possible liver/kidney/brain damage, she'll fit perfectly in my flock of dumb henhoes :downs:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

If the stress of shipping and being without water for too long has damaged their kidneys/liver, there isn't much else you can do that I know of, poor babies. :(

Chido posted:

I don't know if Ravioli and Caponera are having a heavy case of chick derpiness and narcolepsy, or if their tiny brains were damaged too. Capo is active and everything, but then suddenly she drops wherever she is standing and closes her eyes and falls asleep. Ravioli tends to stand in one place and doesn't move as much, but she does drink well from the dropper and eats, she just looks weaker than the other and less active. I don't know if she'll make it, but she's hanging in there.
Christ, this is so sad. Still have finger's crossed for them both.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

My chicks had an easy transit and all survived with nothing more than a day or so of crusty butts, but they would fall asleep with their faces in the food dish for the first few days.

I'm glad Ravioli is doing a bit better. I hope she pulls through. Sorry the USPS failed you (and them) so badly.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido posted:

Now, if Ravioli makes it despite the possible liver/kidney/brain damage, she'll fit perfectly in my flock of dumb henhoes :downs:

Normal for chicks, they seem as if they are wind-up toys that suddenly run down. They fall asleep standing up, plop down, sleep for a bit then pop back up again. :) Keeping our fingers crossed!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Ravioli hasn't been eating in the last hour or so, just pecking bits of food, and she seems to only want to sleep under the lamp, or snuggle. When she's under the lamp she looks like she's dozing off standing, she finally laid down when I put my hand on top of her and gently pushed her down. I gave her a bit of plain yogurt watered down with pedyalite so she'd have at least something in her crop, it was just mushy :(. Neither chick wanted to try scrambled eggs or tomatoes, drat picky eaters :mad:

Edit: I have the chicks on a box on my desk right now as capo/pancake (still deciding on names) was peeping her little heart out. I don't know if you guys wanna see her and ravioli, who's not doing that well, but I got my webcam working and you can watch them (and hear me type) here:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/moralgriever

Chido fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 22, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Edit: I have the chicks on a box on my desk right now as capo/pancake (still deciding on names) was peeping her little heart out. I don't know if you guys wanna see her and ravioli, who's not doing that well, but I got my webcam working and you can watch them (and hear me type) here:

I want to see cute chickies but the stream doesn't seem to be working? :(

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Inveigle posted:

I want to see cute chickies but the stream doesn't seem to be working? :(

I'll turn it on in a sec. Just to warn you, Ravioli is just laying down, :(

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

I'll turn it on in a sec. Just to warn you, Ravioli is just laying down, :(

I know, I know. Chickens are nothing but drama and heartache. But they're so sweet.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Thanks Inveigle for reminding me of this. VS, is there a guide online on how to handfeed baby chicks?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

Thanks Inveigle for reminding me of this. VS, is there a guide online on how to handfeed baby chicks?

I don't know...but the 'food hole' is at the back of the throat, the 'air hole' is under the tongue. So don't put food down the wrong pipe, if they aspirate food it can kill them. I just put a little food in their mouth and allow them to swallow naturally. Give it drop by drop--agonizingly slow and time consuming. Give them a little bit every 20 minutes or so.

You can try a mixture of stage 1 (the kind for the youngest babies, all strained, no chunks) baby food mixed with some Pedialyte to a 'bit watery pudding' consistency and handfeed that. Get a jar each of strained meat, a green vegetable and a orange vegetable (chicken, peas, carrots). Mixing in a tiny bit of plain yogurt with active cultures can give them a 'good' gut bacteria (probiotics) boost if their digestive system is off a bit. Refrigerate any unused food mixture and warm it a tiny bit (just a hair warmer than your skin temperature) before feeding--if you microwave it STIR IT WELL and test it, too-hot food can burn a baby's sensitive crop and kill! Finish the feeding session with a drop of two of Pedialyte to rinse the food out of their beak so it doesn't gunk up their mouth.

You can only do so much, Mother Nature seems cruel sometimes but really does know best. Keep them warm and quiet and give them a chance to get stronger.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 22, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I don't know...but the 'food hole' is at the back of the throat, the 'air hole' is under the tongue. So don't put food down the wrong pipe, if they aspirate food it can kill them. I just put a little food in their mouth and allow them to swallow naturally. Give it drop by drop--agonizingly slow and time consuming. Give them a little bit every 20 minutes or so.

Thank you VS (and 12 String too). I always wondered how exactly you hand-fed baby chicks!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I don't have anything thin enough to use, and I don't think I'd dare insert a tube inside her mouth. At this point I think the best is to just let her be comfortable, I don't think she's gonna make it. I just hope she passes away before my nieces wake up, they were already crying tonight, I don't want them to see ravioli die in front of them :(.

If she perks up tomorrow, then I'll use the diluted baby food.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Ravioli didn't make it, she died sometime last night. We're gonna bury her next to the other chicks. I went to the feed store as soon as it opened and bought an easter egger. She's about 2 days younger than Pancake/Capo, and the girls already named her Waffle. My nieces were doing better this morning. They did cry last night but because they knew Ravioli was not gonna make it, they handled it pretty well this morning.

I'll try to get my webcam rolling again tonight after my mother goes back to mexico.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sorry for your loss Chido.

I took pictures of one of my growout pens. This one has all the whites from this year that look to be show quality. Some might change as they continue to grow but ive moved them off the ground to here so I can monitor them more thoroughly and keep them cleaner.

They all scratch when eating despite it being in cups so theres always a flurry of shavings being thrown back and a bare spot where they stand.

Cochins have to eat a certain amount of corn to keep their beaks and legs the right color so the cup behind Snoot the cockerel here has corn in it.

I took a bunch more of the blues/blacks and splashes ive posted a few times in the past but my nets being crappy so theyll have to wait. They look like little adult puffballs now though. Hopefully this lightens up the gloom of chickenchat these past few pages.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

You know, I can't help but think that your bantam cochins would look like tumbleweeds in a strong wind :ohdear:

It makes me smile just to picture that :haw:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

CHIDO so sorry about Ravioli. Hugs to you and your nieces. :sympathy:

Sorry I missed your ustream broadcast :(

Isn't that interesting the food affects the color of the chicken beaks? Those cochins are ADORABLE!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 22, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

piscesbobbie posted:

CHIDO so sorry about Ravioli. Hugs to you and your nieces. :sympathy:

Sorry I missed your ustream broadcast :(

Isn't that interesting the food affects the color of the chicken beaks? Those cochins are ADORABLE!

Diet is the only reason flamingos are pink, so food can have a lot to do with appearance :science:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ Shrimp is also the reason flamingo poo poo smells so horrible. Good God, what a profound stink.

Well, poo poo. :(

You did everything you could, Chido, great job. If you ever have to handfeed again, ask your pharmacist for an irrigation syringe--they have no needles, just a pointed plastic tube end that is either straight or curved (I use straight) and you don't need a prescription to buy them. Some pet stores and feed stores sell them as well, sometimes calling them 'handfeeding syringes' for birds or kittens/puppies. You can trim the end with scissors if the opening is too small.

If you can't find one and want to have one or two on hand (something I strongly suggest for every chicken emergency kit) let me know and I'll send you a couple.

Tim, very cute white fuzzballs, they remind me of Yang, my white banty Cochin hen, who was the mother of Moet, my buff Cochin Frizzle. :)
This is Yang back in 2002, VERY concerned because the baby was carrying eggs. She followed her all around the yard.

That same year, we'd had a yard sale one day. After it was over, my daughter decided to go out back and price the chickens. The tag & tape were no longer sticky, so she didn't hurt the poultry, she would just hold the tag up to them. :)
$10.00 each! Starting with Latte, our grumpy old Brinkotter hen.

Wild Child, our Head Hen, gets the same tag, closely watched over by Jack, our Head Roo.

Wild Child hangs out while Latte gets priced again, obviously hoping that the small human will be dropping food soon. All of the chickens were very tolerant when it came to the kid.

...while Jack politely declined. :keke:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

awww VELVET SPARROW such great pictures. Your daughter surely is a Chicken Whisperer!

Question, was Yang broody at the time and that is why she was walking after the eggs?

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 23, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Holy crap Pancake is a brat. he new chick Waffle is cute and quiet, Pancake just keeps peeping so loud because she doesn't want to be in the brooder. She only wants to be held, that spoiled brat :mad:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Holy crap Pancake is a brat. he new chick Waffle is cute and quiet, Pancake just keeps peeping so loud because she doesn't want to be in the brooder. She only wants to be held, that spoiled brat :mad:

Pancake wants to go raiding with you, Chido! Is she quiet when you hold her? :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

She falls asleep on my hand as soon as I grab her. She spreads her wee itty bitty wings and neck and kinda flattens against my palm. Hence the change of name to pancake :keke:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

She falls asleep on my hand as soon as I grab her. She spreads her wee itty bitty wings and neck and kinda flattens against my palm. Hence the change of name to pancake :keke:

Your hand is nice and warm! Is their heat lamp warm enough for them? Is Waffle getting along with Pancake?

I suspect that Pancake is going to turn into a lap chicken. WHich is sort of what you wanted. :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

The heat lamp is more than enough. It's been pretty hot here in Southern California, and we don't have air conditioner, so the house is pretty warm at night. During the day Pancake and the other chick would just run around the brooder and stay away from the lamp, so I turn it off for a few hours. Pancake just wants to snuggle with somebody :3:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Got a few more pictures uploaded, the first two are one of the first sets of pictures I posted showing these birds growing up,so if they seem familiar its because I posted them a couple of months ago when I started photoing how much they change as they grow and felt the change was significant enough to warrant re-posting now for comparison.

Squash the white pullet at 12-ish weeks old.

Plump the blue pullet at 12-ish weeks old.

Plump and Squash together now at over 5 months old.

I tried and tried to get a better shot at Squash but she just turned her big fluffy butt to me every time.

Plump was more cooperative.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Wanna see two chicks sleeping?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

...and here we go again! :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Sorry I missed your streaming broadcast, Chido. Hoperfully you can do it tomorrow sometime. I want to see more cute chickies! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You need an elephant like mine had :3: