Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

grover posted:

When I was first hired by the navy, I just moved myself then put in a claim for reimbursement after I started working. You can talk to HR and find out if this is possible in your case.

Moving my household goods myself (unless it was enough to fit in my car) was never mentioned as an option, but I'll ask about that to be sure.

Minion of Cthulhu posted:

I'm speaking from Army experience, since no Navy have chimed in yet; you might have to get a storage unit for all of your stuff, and then have the navy move it from that unit to wherever you end up living. You should be able to file a claim similar to a Temporary Living Allowance (where they pay for your hotel, and absolutely nothing else). Someone in household goods or transportation should have at least *some* kind of answer for you beyond "WE NEED YOUR ORDERS OR YOU DON'T EXIST BLAH BLAH BLAH". And if they still give you poo poo or don't even attempt to point you in the right direction, file an ICE complaint about how useless they are.

The PPO people I've talked to have basically said they can't start anything until I have signed travel orders, which seems understandable, but I'll try talking to them again if you guys think there's more they can do in the meantime.

I think our biggest concern is just the hassle of packing up everything and moving it to storage. I'm even told that the movers will go to the storage unit and unpack and then repack everything. We started packing months ago, but then stopped when we were told movers would take care of it for us; now we're going to have to get all our stuff together in a couple weeks instead of months, along with all the other joys of moving cross-country. Anyways, thanks for the advice, and if anyone has anymore suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

eelmonger fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

eelmonger posted:

Moving my household goods myself (unless it was enough to fit in my car) was never mentioned as an option, but I'll ask about that to be sure.
I drove to my PCS location, then flew home and rented a truck and claimed it all.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Has anybody purchased anything through Oakley's military site, US Standard Issue? How good is the discount?

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

shyguy posted:

Has anybody purchased anything through Oakley's military site, US Standard Issue? How good is the discount?

Unless it changed since last I used it, pretty drat good. Like 50% off eyewear.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

shyguy posted:

Haven't purchased anything yet because the prescription I tried to use is jacked up according to them so I need to get a new prescription I guess but I've got an account...the discount is definitely worth it seeing as how getting an account takes about 2 minutes of effort and responding to a few emails on your .mil account.

e: Yeah, on eyewear it's easily in the 40-50% range. They've got a wide variety of styles but they only offer it in "uniform-approved" shades so pretty much everything is black or grey, with a few tans...so you won't be getting any Kanye red stunners or something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've made several purchases over the years, never had a problem (except long shipping times). Actually gonna be making a purchase in the next couple of weeks.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
They might even still have the 10 dollar t shirts, which is always good value for bumming around in.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Was gonna say what Godholio said, and I'll ask you guys - should I get Fuel Cells or Gascans?

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas

shyguy posted:

I mean it takes like 5 minutes to sign up for an account and the savings are definitely worth it.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Martello posted:

Was gonna say what Godholio said, and I'll ask you guys - should I get Fuel Cells or Gascans?

I have fuel cells, my buddy has gas cans. They look weird if we switch, so it depends on the face.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

shyguy posted:

I have used US Standard Issue for years, and love them. My latest purchase, non polarized prescription Gascans, were $155. Well worth it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Also apparently USSI is now doing "off-duty" shades, so I guess you can get those hot pink stunners that you've been wanting not really they're still pretty plain but there are some more options.

\/ poo poo, it kind of does. Dammit. \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 19, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Their wireframe selection sucks now. :(

cheeto5000
Jul 1, 2004

Glitch!
I just reenlisted for Japan and found out that I'll be stationed at camp zama. I want to know what the base and area around it is like. I cant seem to find a review of the instillation so if anyone here knows anything or can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can anyone tell me what kind of flight suits these guys are wearing:

The frame grab is from an indie movie you've probably never seen. Its definitely not a CWU-27/P as the collar is totally different.

e: I hope this is an appropos thread

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

As part of my blogging efforts I've been collecting evidence of DIY barrel bombs being used in Syria, and finally a video of a detonator has been uploaded. Does anyone have half an idea how it might actually work, considering they are dropped from helicopters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuUTfWYGXwY

Also, does anyone know what the silver powder all over this hands is?

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Shaocaholica posted:

Can anyone tell me what kind of flight suits these guys are wearing:

The frame grab is from an indie movie you've probably never seen. Its definitely not a CWU-27/P as the collar is totally different.

e: I hope this is an appropos thread
Neither one is wearing a flight suit. They are both wearing coats/jackets. Idris Elba is wearing some kind of vintage coat with buttons and toggles.

Winters
Feb 17, 2011
I'm trying to get a 4187 signed by my commander so that I can take a test over at the Education Center on base. Since June 27th I have been trying to get this paper signed, I might add.

I've emailed the form multiple times. I've talked to my platoon sergeant, my section NCOIC, and even the 1SG. Still, nothing. It is a single sheet of paper that has to be signed by a single person and returned to me. It really is that simple.

After talking with my 1SG and seeing the issue still unresolved two weeks later, I'm at a loss as to what I can do to get this paper signed so that I can take this test before I PCS from this place in about 6 months.

Any ideas as to where to go from here?

People have suggested that I email the form every day until something happens, but that seems extreme and slightly unprofessional.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
CO doesn't have an open door policy? Normally it'd be a bit dicky to use it for that, but drat, a couple of months? Time to get that poo poo done.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Open door policy, or email it straight to your CO and explain what's been going on and CC everyone that you've asked to do something about it. Of course that'll have consequences all its own, so be careful.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Axolotl posted:

Neither one is wearing a flight suit. They are both wearing coats/jackets. Idris Elba is wearing some kind of vintage coat with buttons and toggles.

Ah you're right. I got to thinking they were since there were some in a previous scene right before. That clears it up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Winters posted:

I'm trying to get a 4187 signed by my commander so that I can take a test over at the Education Center on base. Since June 27th I have been trying to get this paper signed, I might add.

I've emailed the form multiple times. I've talked to my platoon sergeant, my section NCOIC, and even the 1SG. Still, nothing. It is a single sheet of paper that has to be signed by a single person and returned to me. It really is that simple.

After talking with my 1SG and seeing the issue still unresolved two weeks later, I'm at a loss as to what I can do to get this paper signed so that I can take this test before I PCS from this place in about 6 months.

Any ideas as to where to go from here?

People have suggested that I email the form every day until something happens, but that seems extreme and slightly unprofessional.

You can't route a paper copy?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's better to appear ignorant than agressive. Just email the entire command.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
IG that poo poo.

Or just use the commander's open door policy if you're smart enough to take proof that you've been trying to get it to him since June. Chances are once you tell your PSG "I want to utilize the commander's open door policy to demonstrate to him what a shiftless ape you are" he'll square everything away for you.

e: I just really like to say IG.

Whipped Buttcheeks fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 21, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
A good one that I used when I was getting stonewalled on some poo poo was "Well, I have a family friend that's a major and he said something abut the IG, but that seems kind of unnecessary..."

Get's poo poo fixed quick fast and in a hurry.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Is there an alternative to buying a whole new ribbon rack everytime I get another meaningless ribbon? Is there such thing as an expandable/upgradeable rack? Google didn't find much...

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
They're like a loving dollar you cheap gently caress. Question status: answered.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

FooGoo posted:

Is there an alternative to buying a whole new ribbon rack everytime I get another meaningless ribbon? Is there such thing as an expandable/upgradeable rack? Google didn't find much...

UltraThin will update your rack for just the price of updating it if you send it back to them, unless it's cheaper to just make a whole new rack or if a new rack is required due to the age/condition your rack is in, in which case they will do that.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Or just not wear the ribbons, no one cares unless maybe you're in front of a board. You're not required to wear them all unless specifically ordered (such as a board)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AF enlisted are expected to wear their ribbons because :tradition:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
It's possible to send mail to an aircraft carrier right?

A friend of mine is trying to send her boyfriend a package from Japan, and I was trying to help her by looking into how to do it, but there doesn't seem to be much info.

Anyone know how you'd send a package from a non-US address to an aircraft carrier?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ask the boyfriend for his mailing address. It'll be an APO/FPO address, and since he's on the Pacific side of things it'll have what looks like a California zip code (shipping fees will be like shipping to CA). It's not really any different from normal mail at all.

Edit: If she knows someone who's military where she's at, have THAT person mail it on base. APO to APO is usually free.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
I'm working on a Navy NUPOC application and have been waiting on my Med History results for a good two months now. How long does it usually take after you submit that form (I believe it is DD 2807-1) to hear back? To be fair, my medical history had a HUGE stack of paper when it was all said and done, but most of that was tracking one condition I have no symptoms of anymore.

The Navy Recruiter I'm working with doesn't have any idea of a timetable, does anyone here have any better idea?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Godholio posted:

Ask the boyfriend for his mailing address. It'll be an APO/FPO address, and since he's on the Pacific side of things it'll have what looks like a California zip code (shipping fees will be like shipping to CA). It's not really any different from normal mail at all.

Edit: If she knows someone who's military where she's at, have THAT person mail it on base. APO to APO is usually free.

Make sure she gets the full address for him specifically, including where he works on the ship(he'll have this info), or he may never get it. 5000 people is too many to just throw his name and the address on it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Where can I find a record of Silver Star, Bronze Star, and Medal of Honor recipients? My wife remembers that her grandfather received some kind of big award for his service in WWII, but he never really talked about the war and her mom doesn't know what it was. My wife thinks it might have been a silver star, but it could well have just been a purple heart.

Either way, we just want to figure out just what he received, and maybe find a record of what he got it for if possible. He died when she was very young, so learning the story is a way for her to reconnect with him. Googling his name with various variations of award names isn't doing much for us.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Either her (or your grandmother if she's still alive) should be able to request his records, AFAIK.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DoktorLoken posted:

Either her (or your grandmother if she's still alive) should be able to request his records, AFAIK.

From who? Do we email the Army or something, or is there an official way to do that?

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=obtaining+copy+military+records+deceased+relative

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

Hey come on in and ask us quick military related questions, don't mind too much when some of us are gonna be pretentious dicks about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
Are you serious? The entire process is laid out all over the place online, why would you ask a bunch of living AD/veterans/retirees how to get dead people's records?

• Locked thread