Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sperg Victorious posted:

Pete has an xda thread. :ohdear:

gently caress, xda'd again.

(I was more talking along the lines of that AOKP/Euroskank garbage that gets brought up constantly and looks like it is maintained by some weird rear end people who don't really do anything.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

FlyingCheese posted:

Also, I think the multitasking issues are a problem only with sense 4.x.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm definitely noticing some different behavior since flashing this ROM. Facebook defaults to "Top Stories" or whatever rather than "Most Recent" when you launch it. With Gingerbread, it would retain that setting most of the time, but with this ROM it keeps flipping back.

I've also noticed that Tasker doesn't update my location as well as it used to.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I hope this is the right thread for this. I recently rooted my first-gen Kindle Fire. Upon doing so, all of my books disappeared. After searching around, I found out that this could have been caused by updating the "Kindle" app. After deleting the update, my books returned.

Now the problem that I have is that when I try to open any given book, the Kindle freezes for 5 - 30 seconds and then opens a book but not always the correct book. Well, actually it breaks down to:

50% of the time: opens the wrong book
45% of the time: opens the correct book, but not always on the correct page
5% of the time: crash to desktop

Is there something wrong with my Kindle? Did I gently caress up the rooting process somehow? Any suggested fixes?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

right arm posted:

(I was more talking along the lines of that AOKP/Euroskank garbage that gets brought up constantly and looks like it is maintained by some weird rear end people who don't really do anything.)
Euroskank isn't anything special except CM built with future commits but the people who do it for the most part contribute fixes back to CM so I'd hardly call it "garbage". I can think of four or five fixes they submitted back in the CM7 days.

I'm not going to say the SNR on xda isn't horrible but there's plenty of good stuff there too if you know where to look. I certainly don't tell people to search for it themselves when they mention a specific problem hoping for a specific fix but if you want to try out custom ROMs for the first time then browsing xda is about the only way to get a handle on the problems unique to your handset.

Of course there's always just using a device that doesn't have a terrible stock experience too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I thought I'd give CM10 a try to see where it's at.

Am I mistaken or does it lack the ability to use voice to invoke Google Now? The GApps package I flashed only gives the Nexus S options and it's missing the key word option.

Edit: Nevermind, had to download the Offline Language Pack to enable it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 19, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
After using CM10 on my phone for the past 2 weeks I'm loving it, and it's making me want to unlock and root my Transformer Prime too. What worries me though is that I won't be able to use SuperNote anymore. Is it possible to get SuperNote (or any of the other ASUS stock apps for that matter) installed on CM10? What about the keyboard dock? Will changing ROM break that at all?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

MC Hawking posted:

Pretty much you're going to be limited to a stock rooted rom or Cyanogen 7. The Evo is old as balls, older than my G2 and you're not going to really see anything that's 100%

Yeah, I figured that was going to be my issue. For an old phone though it's still pretty impressive. I got the newest version of MIUI and so far no problems but it's going to take a few days to run through all the features I normally use.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

right arm posted:

I know what you mean. Although I did notice you didn't call Peter Alfonso's ROM by it's proper name, Bugless Beast. That name kinda makes it fit in with the typical names you'll see on xda, for better or worse.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Frozen-Solid posted:

After using CM10 on my phone for the past 2 weeks I'm loving it, and it's making me want to unlock and root my Transformer Prime too. What worries me though is that I won't be able to use SuperNote anymore. Is it possible to get SuperNote (or any of the other ASUS stock apps for that matter) installed on CM10? What about the keyboard dock? Will changing ROM break that at all?

Can't help you with the other questions, but I found a supernote apk floating around on xda and it seemed to work fine on my HP Touchpad, so you should be fine.

In case this helps anyone, CM10 for the GT-I9300 just fixed the major bugs (gradual memory leak and problems with fullscreen video) and it's pretty much spot on now.

I got frustrated with the stock Samsung ROM quite quickly. The camera app is fantastic, but that's about it. The UI theme is not offensively bad or anything, but is unquestionably worse than stock AOSP. The extra features they add only kind of work, so I ended up disabling them anyway. Like, you can have the screen stay on if the front cam detects your face but it fails in dim light, so you can't rely on it. And you can tap the top of the phone to scroll to the top of a page, but it only works in Samsung apps, so it may as well not be there. There is a lot of cool technology there but a most of it is pretty half-baked or only works if everything you and your friends own was made by Samsung in the past year. /system/app has something like 250 apks in it, mostly for Samsung proprietary technologies, many duplicating existing Google functionality. A bunch load themselves as background services.

I'm mildly ashamed, because buying this phone I'm telling Samsung "please continue unnecessarily loving with AOSP". But OK, I wanted a GNex with an SD card slot and now with CM10 I've got one.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

right arm posted:

gently caress no.

I use Peter Alfonso's ROM for my Galaxy Nexus. No dumb pony poo poo/KANGBANGed kernel/retarded overclocking.

It's pretty much just stock Jelly Bean with a few enhancements. Dunno what else you'd need.

Using this too and I'm pleased with it. I haven't tried any other JB ROMS so I can't say that it's the best, but I don't really feel any need to change as Bugless Beast is stable and everything works (except the last nightly broke Agent Dash :argh:).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

...! posted:

Is there something wrong with my Kindle? Did I gently caress up the rooting process somehow? Any suggested fixes?

I always found the stock ROM to be wonky when rooted, especially if you install the Google Apps. IMO it's a much better experience to just go full AOSP and use the standard Android Kindle apps, as long as you don't depend on the library or Prime Video options. Those are disabled by rooting anyways though, so I guess at this point it all comes down to the launcher.

All the currently-updated JB ROMs for the Fire are roughly equal, Hashcode's done a brilliant job with the kernel so it's all a matter of picking what tweaks you want. There's apparently also a project to get the new Kindle launcher from the HD models working on AOSP so you might be able to have the best of both worlds.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

...! posted:

I hope this is the right thread for this. I recently rooted my first-gen Kindle Fire. Upon doing so, all of my books disappeared. After searching around, I found out that this could have been caused by updating the "Kindle" app. After deleting the update, my books returned.

Now the problem that I have is that when I try to open any given book, the Kindle freezes for 5 - 30 seconds and then opens a book but not always the correct book. Well, actually it breaks down to:

50% of the time: opens the wrong book
45% of the time: opens the correct book, but not always on the correct page
5% of the time: crash to desktop

I'd delete all your books and install the normal Kindle app from the Play store (or sideload it if you didn't actually replace your ROM) then re-download them. This wouldn't work if they are from the lending library or if they are graphic novels, though, so just be aware of that.

e: totally beaten by someone who didn't leave the reply window up for 40 minutes

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I've been loving CM10 on my Verizon Galaxy S3 for the past few days, but I want to flash a new CM10 nightly. Do I have to go through the whole complete wipe I did in Clockwork Mod again or is there some shortcut when flashing another nightly build on top of a current one?

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

clamiam45 posted:

I've been loving CM10 on my Verizon Galaxy S3 for the past few days, but I want to flash a new CM10 nightly. Do I have to go through the whole complete wipe I did in Clockwork Mod again or is there some shortcut when flashing another nightly build on top of a current one?

You should be good with wipe cache + wipe dalvik cache. You can do a nandroid backup before and if you have any problems after the upgrade, just flash the nandroid, but you should be fine.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Casyl posted:

You should be good with wipe cache + wipe dalvik cache. You can do a nandroid backup before and if you have any problems after the upgrade, just flash the nandroid, but you should be fine.

Thanks, it worked great. I think the new nightly is a little laggier, but that's probably just my imagination.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I also Fix Permissions in recovery after dirty flashing a new nightly. I don't know if it helps anything, but it probably doesn't hurt.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Any HTC One S users (T-Mo preferably) try the Wienerballs Buttcheek ROM yet? It's a Jellybean AOSP ROM, but I really dig stock-based mainly because of the camera. I don't really want to waste my time doing a Nandroid and all that jazz if it's not worth it. thanks.

vvvvv Yeah dude, honestly I have no idea... Sometimes its best not to ask why things are this way.

edit: Mainly concerned about mobile data. Some ROMs won't do 4G properly and will fluctuate from 3G to 4G constantly. Definitely not normal.

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 20, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Any HTC One S users (T-Mo preferably) try the Wienerballs Buttcheek ROM yet? It's a Jellybean AOSP ROM, but I really dig stock-based mainly because of the camera. I don't really want to waste my time doing a Nandroid and all that jazz if it's not worth it. thanks.

Is that really a loving ROM name? Wienerballs Buttcheek? Jesus Christ XDA.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

wolrah posted:

I always found the stock ROM to be wonky when rooted, especially if you install the Google Apps. IMO it's a much better experience to just go full AOSP and use the standard Android Kindle apps, as long as you don't depend on the library or Prime Video options. Those are disabled by rooting anyways though, so I guess at this point it all comes down to the launcher.

All the currently-updated JB ROMs for the Fire are roughly equal, Hashcode's done a brilliant job with the kernel so it's all a matter of picking what tweaks you want. There's apparently also a project to get the new Kindle launcher from the HD models working on AOSP so you might be able to have the best of both worlds.

Syrinxx posted:

I'd delete all your books and install the normal Kindle app from the Play store (or sideload it if you didn't actually replace your ROM) then re-download them. This wouldn't work if they are from the lending library or if they are graphic novels, though, so just be aware of that.

e: totally beaten by someone who didn't leave the reply window up for 40 minutes

These questions I'm about to ask are probably stupid but I don't know a whole lot about this. I didn't know what AOSP is so I googled it. From what I can tell, you're referring to Jelly Bean? When I rooted my Kindle I went with Gingerbread (I think?) because I was told that Android 4.x.x was completely unstable on the Kindle Fire and mostly a waste of time. Is this no longer the case?

Edit: Hmm... the guy who posted the Jelly Bean ROM on xda-developers has lost his file-hosting, apparently, so I can't even get my hands on the ROM in the first place. Another stupid question: would any other Jelly Bean ROM work or do I need that specific one?

...! fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 20, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Success! CM10, TWRP, and NVFlash are all working properly on my Prime. Plus restoring the SuperNote app+data didn't break anything!

Now I'm restoring everything else, and have to get back to customizing the home screen how I want it :(

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sperg Victorious posted:

I know what you mean. Although I did notice you didn't call Peter Alfonso's ROM by it's proper name, Bugless Beast. That name kinda makes it fit in with the typical names you'll see on xda, for better or worse.

Oh I remember he used that name for his original Droid ROM, but I didn't know he also used it for his Galaxy Nexus ROMs.

That's what I get for bookmarking the toro download page I guess.

Drifter287 posted:

Using this too and I'm pleased with it. I haven't tried any other JB ROMS so I can't say that it's the best, but I don't really feel any need to change as Bugless Beast is stable and everything works (except the last nightly broke Agent Dash :argh:).

Yeah I haven't felt the need to flash anything else ever since he came out with this ROM, it's just a really good, stock, stable ROM. Compared to CM10, I'd still stick with his because there's just so much less stuff to gently caress with in it. I really don't need to change the gamma colors or flash a new nightly build every night. It's nice to just have something that works without a whole lot of sperging.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

right arm posted:

Oh I remember he used that name for his original Droid ROM, but I didn't know he also used it for his Galaxy Nexus ROMs.

That's what I get for bookmarking the toro download page I guess.

Yeah I haven't felt the need to flash anything else ever since he came out with this ROM, it's just a really good, stock, stable ROM. Compared to CM10, I'd still stick with his because there's just so much less stuff to gently caress with in it. I really don't need to change the gamma colors or flash a new nightly build every night. It's nice to just have something that works without a whole lot of sperging.
If you don't mind me asking, what differences does it have over stock exactly?

I'm trying out CM10 and it's alright but I wouldn't mind something closer to stock if I can get the few features I really like that CM has. Edit: Actually Apollo just got gapless playback in the lastest nightly. Maybe I'll stick around for a while since I really hate the Jelly Bean Play Music app anyway.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 20, 2012

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

LastInLine posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what differences does it have over stock exactly?

I'm trying out CM10 and it's alright but I wouldn't mind something closer to stock if I can get the few features I really like that CM has. Edit: Actually Apollo just got gapless playback in the lastest nightly. Maybe I'll stick around for a while since I really hate the Jelly Bean Play Music app anyway.

Well since I'm on the bastard nexus, verizon's, I'd say everything is different :)

Jesus christ, gapless playback? Finally, well that may be the thing that gets me to switch to CM10 then because the google's music app is a huge turd.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

right arm posted:

Well since I'm on the bastard nexus, verizon's, I'd say everything is different :)

Jesus christ, gapless playback? Finally, well that may be the thing that gets me to switch to CM10 then because the google's music app is a huge turd.
Like you I'd prefer to be stock, but honestly the fix for the pitiful speaker volume already rendered me unable to receive an OTA so I was already half invested in the aftermarket. CM10 didn't bring anything to the table I had to have (I like statusbar mods and 180 degree rotation) but gapless playback and not having to deal with Play Music's horrible retarded queue is enough for me to stick with CM10 until November.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

deong posted:

Someone else may be able to tell you for sure, but I think its :
/dev/block/nandd

based on this :
/dev/block/nandd /system ext4 ro,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0

So I think your line will be something like :
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/nandd /system

But I don't KNOW what I'm doing, I just have ideas.. so proceed with caution ;).

Yeah I noticed that bit after I made the post :cripes: still didnt work tho. However flashing the recovery image seemed to sort the problem out as now root works as it should!

Apparently theres a version of CM10 that works for this thing as apparently its just a generic allwinner chipset thats found in several different cheapie tablets. I wonder if its worth it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

...! posted:

When I rooted my Kindle I went with Gingerbread (I think?) because I was told that Android 4.x.x was completely unstable on the Kindle Fire and mostly a waste of time. Is this no longer the case?

Edit: Hmm... the guy who posted the Jelly Bean ROM on xda-developers has lost his file-hosting, apparently, so I can't even get my hands on the ROM in the first place. Another stupid question: would any other Jelly Bean ROM work or do I need that specific one?
Don't listen to those retards. Jelly Bean (4.1.x) on the 1st gen Kindle Fire is awesome. Hashcode is maintaining a CM10 port for the device which is probably your best bet: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1591850

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

right arm posted:

If any Nexus is a bastard, it's Sprint's.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do I need to actually have a Windows PC or can I use VirtualBox running on a Linux PC or Mac?

eig
Oct 16, 2008

brc64 posted:

Sprint actually got Jelly Bean though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

eig posted:

Hey now, hey... all CDMA Nexuses are bastards.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Do I need to actually have a Windows PC or can I use VirtualBox running on a Linux PC or Mac?

I've seen a handful of how-to videos here and there where they're using Odin inside a windows VM, so you should probably be fine.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I have a recently rooted Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I have crappy 3G and WiFi access at work, so I want to setup an adhoc network with my laptop, so I can share the wired connection on my laptop with my phone.

Every "ad hoc" app I see basically allows you to connect your laptop to your phone so you can share the phone connection with it. Is there any app that will let your phone connect to an ad hoc network to use internet connection sharing from a laptop?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I know nothing about Droids and I have been tasked with backing up my boss's Droid 2 and restoring it onto another Droid 2. As I understand I need to root it, and then use Titanium Backup or something. I have gone thru the OP and followed several links. I used MotorolaOneClickRoot_psouza4.zip and it said everything is fine, but Root Checker says it is not rooted. Any help would be appreciated!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Legdiian posted:

I know nothing about Droids and I have been tasked with backing up my boss's Droid 2 and restoring it onto another Droid 2. As I understand I need to root it, and then use Titanium Backup or something. I have gone thru the OP and followed several links. I used MotorolaOneClickRoot_psouza4.zip and it said everything is fine, but Root Checker says it is not rooted. Any help would be appreciated!
That exploit might not work anymore. Follow this post's advice and see if it works.

e: Actually this should be tried first. e2: Rage (the exploit used) can and will be detected by antivirus software and I think MSE will automatically disable it on download. You might have to disable MSE before downloading it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 21, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

eig posted:

This makes me really sad. I guess with Verizon you just have to realize that updates are most likely just not going to happen.

Just have to keep my Verizon Nexus rooted and updated with something else.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Codename Android nightlies and the Franco kernel with under and overclocking has led to some exceptional battery life on this GNex. I'm really impressed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I have a recently rooted Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I have crappy 3G and WiFi access at work, so I want to setup an adhoc network with my laptop, so I can share the wired connection on my laptop with my phone.

Every "ad hoc" app I see basically allows you to connect your laptop to your phone so you can share the phone connection with it. Is there any app that will let your phone connect to an ad hoc network to use internet connection sharing from a laptop?

http://www.labnol.org/software/ad-hoc-wireless-network-in-windows-xp/11486/

I understand it's for XP, but it can't be THAT far off given the similarities in network configuration dialogs between XP and Vista/7.

Vista: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Set-up-a-computer-to-computer-ad-hoc-network

This may work better for you since I can't imagine someone having a laptop with XP on it these days caring about setting up an adhoc network. That'd be like someone with a '94 Acclaim wondering about cornering ability.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 21, 2012

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Right, I have an ad hoc network set up in Windows already. The problem is that Android hates ad hoc networks and won't find or connect to it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

Codename Android nightlies and the Franco kernel with under and overclocking has led to some exceptional battery life on this GNex. I'm really impressed.

This sounds really awesome. I'm stuck swapping multiple batteries and running on slow poke 2G. Got any more pointers or guidelines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Right, I have an ad hoc network set up in Windows already. The problem is that Android hates ad hoc networks and won't find or connect to it.

:ughh: It's early.

Try this: http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/releases/view/36035