Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Yeah it's a lot to take in but I'm thoroughly enjoying my first forays into it. How come you guys didn't get on with it? The guys in Schmidt have immediately rallied to me and warned me repeatedly about trading, which is nice of them.

Got some decent talent and what appears to be some excellent talent in my AAA, not sure why they're not up on the ML roster at this point although I suspect they were there to develop before being brought up.

Love learning new things :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Can't speak for nasboat but I just didn't really like the player base. Your current commissioner always gave off kind of a used car salesman vibe to me. There's also a pretty wide talent gap between franchises, or at least there was at the time. There's always going to be talent gaps in HBD but this one seemed bigger and less likely to change any time soon. Lastly, and probably most importantly, I like worlds that roll quickly. Sitting on a team for a month while the commissioner tries to fill 6-10 vacancies is just totally frustrating to me.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Yeah I'm with you on the slow filling thing, but not enough leagues are newbie friendly or whatever. Some of the PMs I've received from GMs asking me to (seriously) outline my "Managerial Experience" in gaming and all this dumb crap. I appreciate that you don't want people who will randomly drop out, but I'm playing a game not applying for a job.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
To be fair, to keep a world strong and healthy it's pretty important to have owners who know what they're doing, or at least know enough to not make a lot of the dumb mistakes. One bad, inexperienced owner can lead to a juggernaut team or two becoming even more of juggernauts, and set back the franchise that they take over dramatically. There's an owner in Hometown, where Devo and I play, who has so much talent on his team that he's going to be good for a long time but his team could be the best in the world in a couple of years time. The way he's running it, though, he's going to have to settle for merely Very Good.

If you ever want real time advice, hop on to IRC. There is always a bunch of people in the #WIS room on irc.synirc.net

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

This team isn't very good (what's defense?), but this is what I had hoped for when I created it:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

There really are few things that bug me more in HBD than seeing guys like this get mismanaged.

It's even worse because my instinct is to try and trade for them but naturally their owner overvalues them for the wrong reasons.

Meanwhile in WISC news

This luck has to turn eventually...

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 24, 2012

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
At one point 5 out of my 6 teams looked like that. Recently things seem to be looking up though...

I think my only real chance of getting to round 2 at present is if 1908 Joss / Cy Young can get me to a 5x5 World Series.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Hello IRC crew I got that guy off waivers we talked about yesterday :D

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=4196792

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

For some reason I remember his vR/vL being higher but still, can't argue with that

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

That is one of the strangest hitting skill sets I've ever seen. He should make a decent enough SS for you though.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

What payroll do I pay my draft picks out of? If it is the player one, what's the prospect one for?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Gooses and Geeses posted:

What payroll do I pay my draft picks out of? If it is the player one, what's the prospect one for?

Draft bonuses go out of your prospect payroll, salaries come out of your player payroll. But if you put them in rookie league their salary is only $8k anyway so the vast majority is coming from prospects.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

So it's not like the NFL where my #1 pick will want millions and millions in his salary? I've got far more to spend in free agency than I'd thought, then - but not much out there :(

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

You can view previous drafts to see how much guys were demanding in their slots to get a feel for what to expect.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Gooses and Geeses posted:

So it's not like the NFL where my #1 pick will want millions and millions in his salary? I've got far more to spend in free agency than I'd thought, then - but not much out there :(

World Office => Reports => Draft History lets you look at what guys have signed for in previous years.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

That report is exactly what I needed - looks like I should be all set. Thanks guys.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Anyone interested in doing an ol rush sometime soon? I think my next team is gonna be a team full of guys with ph less than 5.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

gardenald posted:

Anyone interested in doing an ol rush sometime soon? I think my next team is gonna be a team full of guys with ph less than 5.

You're like 2 days late :(

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

tbf it should have been advertised better in here.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Aw man, lame. I'll just put it together and wait for the next one I guess

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I just joined an OL with a Wooten IRL inspired team if anyone cares to join. Fair warning: it does have ligapelota.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I lost by one run

:suicide:

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

WIS-nightmare-inning.png

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Why yes, I will give up my 24 yo CF with a .700 OPS and 30 steals (not a huge asset I admit) for someone with the same hitting skills except he's a six years older COF, and also for this guy, who you claim is 'an upgrade over my major leaguer'

Also offered a half-decent catcher, but still, this is why I've traded about twice in six seasons in Clemente.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I, uh....think this guy's asking price is a little too high...

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So, this group is not quite as impressive as nasboat's in Dimaggio but hey, this team blows and I gotta start somewhere

Also, nasboat doesn't have anyone as rad as Art Brush.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Yank Greinke

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

A cool dude.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Here is my rebuilding effort. Plus I will probably have 4 <60 picks this year including 3rd overall.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Dingers

Pitching

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
My Mordecai team that's in Sante Fe:

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 29, 2012

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
bats

balls

no i am not keeping the lineup in that order i just threw it together really quick to show off defensive arragement roughly

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

God drat WIS nightmare innings

Tully ended up allowing 3 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs over the remaining 7 innings he pitched. Of the 9 total baserunners he allowed, 6 came in this first inning.

I lost 3-2.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

We're about to begin the Championship Series in Hometown and it looks like we'll have a couple vacancies. If anyone is interested in picking up another team shoot me a message and I'll let the commish know.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
This isn't going as well as I'd planned.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

2012 players are out today. That was fast.

Andrew McCutcheon is expensive

Edit: :laffo: at Aroldis's 15.32 K/9. I had no idea it was that high.

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 5, 2012

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ArtVandelay posted:

2012 players are out today. That was fast.

Andrew McCutcheon is expensive

Edit: :laffo: at Aroldis's 15.32 K/9. I had no idea it was that high.

I entered a pick your own theme league and did a staggered salary theme pretty much solely to have an excuse to use Trout and Kimbrel:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

That looks like a fun team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

:laffo: at Aroldis's 15.32 K/9.

Clearly you have never heard of Craig Kimbrel.

• Locked thread