Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's subbed on my end. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You actually have to turn on subtitles to get subtitles.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I've been watching When We Left Earth: The Nasa Missions after multiple recommendations in the Neil Armstrong thread and have been in awe nearly the entire time. I'd highly recommend checking it out; it simultaneously leaves me feeling small and insignificant as well as gives an inspiring "gently caress yeah, humananity!" feeling to see what we have accomplished. I've got a bit of prior knowledge but even then, seeing the remastered footage along with interviews from astronauts themselves really brings out the drama from some missions and keeps you on the edge of your seat in a way that no fictional story can do. It's an extremely well made documentary miniseries split up in to 1 hour chunks so it covers a lot but is very easy to get through.

:patriot:

Teeter has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Aug 31, 2012

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Can anyone recommend some good kung fu movies on instant streaming to me? The ones that I've seen on there so far that I've really enjoyed have been Ip Man (not so much with the sequel) and Fearless. Shaolin wasn't too bad. I used to have a recommended section for them on my UI but it seems to have disappeared.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

DO IT TO IT posted:

Can anyone recommend some good kung fu movies on instant streaming to me? The ones that I've seen on there so far that I've really enjoyed have been Ip Man (not so much with the sequel) and Fearless. Shaolin wasn't too bad. I used to have a recommended section for them on my UI but it seems to have disappeared.

Wanting more than just the Top 10, I went looking for the "Recommended for you" section today, and couldn't find it at all. Did they remove it entirely?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Senna is a fantastic documentary about Ayrton Senna, probably the best Formula One driver ever, and his career leading up to his death in the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix.

It has some really incredible race footage, great interviews, and completely worth watching, even if you're not a Formula One fan. There are subtitles for many of the interviews, as he was from Brazil, but man, what a great movie.

Here's the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfosF-ZAbR4

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

I just saw Cracker is available for instant watch. http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Cracker/70224765

Robbie Coltrane as a brilliant but extremely dysfunctional criminal psychologist. Series 1 is great, but series 2 is jaw-dropping and totally fearless. The whole thing also has a perfect ending, if you ignore the after-market made-for-tv special that came years later.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DO IT TO IT posted:

Watch Ong Bak a thousand times.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

kombatMedik posted:

Senna is a fantastic documentary about Ayrton Senna, probably the best Formula One driver ever, and his career leading up to his death in the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix.

It has some really incredible race footage, great interviews, and completely worth watching, even if you're not a Formula One fan. There are subtitles for many of the interviews, as he was from Brazil, but man, what a great movie.

Here's the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfosF-ZAbR4

This comes up every so often and is always worth mentioning. I could care less about F1 and loving loved this doc. Everything about it is great. Top Gear did a short bit on him if you need something else to push you to watching it.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Baron von Eevl posted:

Watch Ong Bak a thousand times.

-Merantau (main guy from The Raid)
-Power Kids (bit silly, but I actually enjoyed it)
-Blood and Bone

Undisputed (2 and 3 were enjoyable, I didn't really like the first one with Snipes/Ving Rhames). Looks like they're no longer on streaming, though.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Christoff posted:

This comes up every so often and is always worth mentioning. I could care less about F1 and loving loved this doc. Everything about it is great. Top Gear did a short bit on him if you need something else to push you to watching it.

Agreed about Senna. My favorite thing on netflix is finding a movie I'd never imagine I would care about, and loving it. Very worthwhile watch for anybody.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Christoff posted:

Here is the segment Top Gear did on Senna. Probably one of the best segments they've done on the show. If you're not sure about watching the doc, watch this and then check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oLSYSJO5Ik

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thanks man. I wanted to link it but only have my phone.

Clarkson - "Senna, he was spectacular every single time he got in a car."

I'm a bit obsessed with things Brazilian and enjoy car stuff and i'd never even heard of him. The doc is well made and I guess it helps that not only was he was a good driver it seemed people saw him as a saint or humanitarian type. Which, it seemed he deserved. Watch YouTube clips of his memorial service. It's insane. Military sends him off as well. I don't know if it's just that he wasn't a sterotypical famous racer that we think of (or maybe he was?) or if it's just the "what could have been?" theorizing to the fact that he's dead.

Point being go watch it if you haven't yet.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

DO IT TO IT posted:

Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008

DO IT TO IT posted:

If Flash Point is still up, it's a little more MMA than traditional kung fu, but it's chock full of Donnie Yen (Ip Man) goodness.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll check them all out.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Well hello summer of '96.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

all three mission impossibles and all three beverly hills cops added. My labor day is all set.

In fact they added a mountain of stuff this weekend.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

One of the things they added is: The Thing! The 1982 John Carpenter / Kurt Russell version that's been the signature standard for suspense/horror!

Best of all- InstantWatcher says it'll be available until December 2099!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
If anyone wants to watch one of the all-time worst movies, Highlander 2 is now available!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Heads up, wrestling fans: After a year of only WWE content on Instant, the indies finally broke through this weekend!

Unfortunately, what broke through was 2011's AWE Wrestling's Night of Legends, a PPV that you'd really be pissed off at if you actually paid the full PPV price for it. Mostly it's a bunch of old-timers (that promo picture of the Rock 'n' Roll Express is at least 15 years out of date, for instance), but there's some history in here since it includes Perry Saturn's first match after a lost decade when everybody thought he was dead. I wouldn't want to go through even half of what he did. (e: Also, the first match is what could very well be the last in a long series of Terry Funk retirement matches. I'll believe it when I see it.)

Don't let that oversell it for you, though. The match of the night was between a guy in witch doctor drag and a midget, so adjust your alcohol intake accordingly.

EasyEW has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Sep 3, 2012

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
If anyone cares they just added Dinosaurs on netflix instant, all 4 seasons. I vaguely remember it, but I was born in the early 90s so others might have a better memory of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Small Soldiers is up! Such a great movie. So much like Gremlins.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Younger folks may not know this movie, but the 1985 sci-fi adventure Explorers is available now, featuring a very young Ethan Hawke, River Phoenix. This was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and one I didn't remember the name of until just a few years ago.

Paint-Drinking Pete
Apr 9, 2009

Lullabee posted:

If anyone cares they just added Dinosaurs on netflix instant, all 4 seasons. I vaguely remember it, but I was born in the early 90s so others might have a better memory of it.

I was born in 1990 and Dinosaurs was one of my favorite shows. Watching it again now is amazing because I actually get the jokes as an adult, I can't believe just how clever Dinosaurs really was.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

For those with Roku boxes - there's a new free channel called Midnight Pulp, filled with all sorts of terrible and cheesy exploitation, cult, and horror movies.

The other night I watched an abominable piece of poo poo called Antfarm Dickhole. The title is pretty descriptive and it's one of the worst piece of poo poo movies I've ever seen. Here's a trailer (borderline NSFW)

Just recommending it for those interested in awful movies. This is a gold mine.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Sep 11, 2012

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

me your dad posted:

For those with Roku boxes - there's a new free channel called Midnight Pulp, filled with all sorts of terrible and cheesy exploitation, cult, and horror movies.

The other night I watched an abominable piece of poo poo called Antfarm Dickhole. The title is pretty descriptive and it's one of the worst piece of poo poo movies I've ever seen. Here's a trailer (borderline NSFW)

can this get universal fuckin stat

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

big business sloth posted:

can this get universal fuckin stat

I have no idea what this means :confused:

Oh you mean outside of the Roku. I see the developer is http://adrise.com/. Maybe an email to them might help.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Sep 11, 2012

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

I saw The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle this weekend: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70112482

To summarize, this is about a bunch of janitors who get addicted to self-heating cookies, which then cause the males to hallucinate and finally "give birth" to a blue fish thing that comes out of their asses. :wtf:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

me your dad posted:

loving thanks! I'll check this out tonight.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

DollHouse came up a few weeks ago and I gave it a go as it seemed to have some promise. The shows completely won me over and I never expected to stick to a Josh Weadon show. I didn't care for Buffy or Angel, and although it seems to stick to those shows in the first half of season 1, it completely changes afterwards. Almost a Deus Ex feel to it.

Bonus for watching the show is Fran Kranz ( stoner from Cabin in the Woods ) is the science geek in it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I (finally) got surround sound set up in my home theater room, what are some good streaming movies or shows that are not only in 5.1 but make good use of it?

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Liku posted:

It's subbed on my end. :confused:

Ah, my 1st generation Roku doesn't support subtitles.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
To those of you that suggested The Fall, you weren't kidding. That was amazing. I've never actually seen a movie that caused laughter through tears. I probably would have watched it sooner but no one mentioned that Ned from Pushing Daisies is in it. What? You expect me to remember his actual name? And the little girl who acted in it was awesome.
The kid being one of the main characters was the main reason I put it off since I hate child actors. I haven't found anything online about how they got such an excellent performance out of her. I'm wondering if some of it was helped along by the language barrier.

For a horror movie, I suggest "Absentia". Some of the dialogue is stupid, but it's a decent story with decent acting for how low budget it was. I did not expect the ending at all.

Bored has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Sep 15, 2012

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Bored posted:

To those of you that suggested The Fall, you weren't kidding. That was amazing. I've never actually seen a movie that caused laughter through tears. I probably would have watched it sooner but no one mentioned that Ned from Pushing Daisies is in it. What? You expect me to remember his actual name? And the little girl who acted in it was awesome.
The kid being one of the main characters was the main reason I put it off since I hate child actors. I haven't found anything online about how they got such an excellent performance out of her. I'm wondering if some of it was helped along by the language barrier.

For a horror movie, I suggest "Absentia". Some of the dialogue is stupid, but it's a decent story with decent acting for how low budget it was. I did not expect the ending at all.

A lot of the filming with her was ad libbed. They even filmed some scenes with partially hidden cameras, shooting through holes cut in the curtains around surrounding beds.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

particle409 posted:

Ah, my 1st generation Roku doesn't support subtitles.

Mine doesn't either. I went ahead and submitted it as an issue to Netflix because they really should just go and loving imprint the subtitles on the screen because ABSOLUTELY NOBODY WATCHING RIKI-OH WOULD BE PISSED OFF THAT THERE ARE SUBTITLES IF IT IS IN CANTONESE.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sherlock season 2 is up.
http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Sherlock/70202589?strkid=298937235_0_0&strackid=469cf075e5887e6d_0_srl&trkid=222336

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

Thank god, I seem to always miss it when it was on tv, I can't wait to be able to catch up.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Came here to post this. Finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Oh my God, you guys. The post-apocalyptic DDR movie, "The FP," is on insant. Oh my god.

• Locked thread