Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Back onto stealing for a minute, I never really bothered with it before, but I'm playing through IX right now and it's ridiculous how much of an impact it's made. First, I really haven't had to do much item shopping at all. Plus, I've gotten weapons (and thus, abilities) way earlier than I would have otherwise. I've pretty much just decided I'll steal at least once per fight, and most of my other characters are in just enough shape that I've just been dedicating Zidane to stealing from bosses to get the really cool poo poo. Does Zidane's chance of stealing successfully go up the more he does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TL posted:

Back onto stealing for a minute, I never really bothered with it before, but I'm playing through IX right now and it's ridiculous how much of an impact it's made. First, I really haven't had to do much item shopping at all. Plus, I've gotten weapons (and thus, abilities) way earlier than I would have otherwise. I've pretty much just decided I'll steal at least once per fight, and most of my other characters are in just enough shape that I've just been dedicating Zidane to stealing from bosses to get the really cool poo poo. Does Zidane's chance of stealing successfully go up the more he does it?

There are two parts to Steal: Whether or not it hits, and whether or not it hits a slot where an item would be.

If Zidane has Bandit, Steal always passes the first check. If not, the game will test if (Zidane's Level+Spirit) is greater than the enemy's Def. If yes, then it passes the first check.

At the second check, the game will try to steal the rarest item first. If that fails, then the second rarest, and so on. It's entirely RNG based, and passing a check to try and steal an item that has already been stolen will result in a failed Steal. If Zidane has Master Thief, Rare and Very Rare Items go from a 1/16 and 1/256 chance to a 1/8 chance of succeeding, and Steal will no longer fail when attempting to Steal empty slots.

TLDR: Bandit and Master Thief are pretty much all you need. Zidane should always have Bandit on till the end of the game anyway.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Remember to keep stealing from enemies all the time to power up Thievery when you get it. If you haven't been using Steal, then Thievery does piss-poor damage when you get it and is a pain to grind up to usable levels, but if you've been swiping stuff at least, say, once per encounter, then it will outclass most other attacks at that point and continue to do so for as long as you keep that larceny up.

Fun fact, items stolen by Cinna, Marcus and Blank count towards Thievery damage - not that it matters except for a short part of disc 2.

I love FFIX but it becomes pretty drat easy when you figure that at least four of the eight characters can get attacks that do 9999 damage pretty much guaranteed, and of those, two of them are really easy to get to that level.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Speaking of stealing, I just started playing VI Advance yesterday. Holy gently caress, having access to a Bestiary makes a huge difference in how use Locke for stealing now.

Just to make sure I don't miss anything, by the way, all the GBA version's new content takes place in the World of Ruin, right? The World of Balance still plays exactly the same, right?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

CloseFriend posted:

Speaking of stealing, I just started playing VI Advance yesterday. Holy gently caress, having access to a Bestiary makes a huge difference in how use Locke for stealing now.

Just to make sure I don't miss anything, by the way, all the GBA version's new content takes place in the World of Ruin, right? The World of Balance still plays exactly the same, right?

Yep. No real changes to WoB.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Baten Kaitos is Chrono 3, insofar as by pedigree and design it is the closest descendant of Chrono Cross. This is probably not what you wanted.

I loved Baten Kaitos. If Chrono is even better than that, maybe I'll play it after FFVI.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's FFIII, what do you expect? I mean, it's not as bad as 2 or 8

Poor FF2. :gbsmith: I always heard it was the worst FF but while everyone in this thread knows the fandom says that a lot, FFII was the only game I saw get labeled this without a brigade of defenders popping up. It was the pariah of the FF franchise.

Then I played it and loved it. Maybe it's because of FFIX's wonderful reference. Maybe it's just because I'm a masochist. Whatever the reason, I enjoy the game un-ironically.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The only WoB-pertinent thing that comes to mind is that one of the GBA additions is a one-time underwater fight in the WoR. This means you can get all of Mog's dances without recruiting him in the WoB (so long as you bring him for that fight later on, anyway). Normally, doing so means you'd miss out on the water dance - forget the name - because there are no WoR locations where you can fight underwater.

Whether this is of any significance to you, is another matter entirely.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Considering Terranigma is an action jRPG, I'm gonna have to go with that as best of the era, by far. Nothing Square did topped that ending.

I've gotten about halfway through that game more than once only to lose my saves. :sigh:

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon Quest games are wonderful adventure games. They are, almost universally, about exploring the world and seeing what lies around every corner. Grinding in them is rarely necessary and they just tend to be delightful trips through amusing worlds.

Then you get to Mudo in DQ6 and realize you have to grind or get lucky as hell because the last part of the fight against him is utterly brutal and is harder than the majority of fights you'll have for the rest of the game (largely because you can't class change yet). I played DQ6 for the first time on an emulator and I had never abused savestate as much in a single fight as I did with him. I honestly thought you were supposed to lose at first because of how silly it was.

When you say Soul Blazer Trilogy what are you referring to as the third game, Illusion of Gaia?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Terranigma, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, and Earthbound are my holy grail of SNES RPGs.

What are some of the best Reaction abilities in FF Tactics? Looking to get off the Auto Potion train. I like First Strike/Hamedo, but it doesn't seem to work on a lot of attacks. I had a friend mention he's gotten mileage out of Blade Grasp... any recommendations?

MP Switch combined with Move MP Up. :getin:

Moldy Taxes posted:

I looked him up and realized he lead The Last Remnant. Playing through that right now, but how do they expect you to learn half of the bullshit in this game without a guide?

They dont.

Enjoy the Curse effect, which is quite possibly the worst status effect ever put in to a game. Also your characters will change their gear sometimes depending on poo poo they ask for, or just because, even if it sucks in the end. You can gently caress up extremely good characters by telling them they should/shouldn't training something they're thinking of.

It's also the orgin of FF13's combat system.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 22, 2012

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

When you say Soul Blazer Trilogy what are you referring to as the third game, Illusion of Gaia?

The Quintet Quadalogy is made of four games that share common themes and assets: Actraiser, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, and The Grandstream Saga.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Bear Sleuth posted:

The Quintet Quadalogy is made of four games that share common themes and assets: Actraiser, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, and The Grandstream Saga.

What about Actraiser 2?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Actraiser 2 is something best not spoken of. It does away with the interesting and unique part of Actraiser to make the rest into Yet Another Platformer.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Actraiser 2 loving rocks actually.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ Actraiser 2 had some sick designs in both its enemies and its environments, but really it probably shouldn't have that name since when a fella thinks "Actraiser," they're also thinking "Japanese Sim City RPG with platforming side dish"

Bear Sleuth posted:

Soulblazer instead of Actraiser is the set you're looking for, Actraiser is similar but ultimately as different a series as Robotrek is.

Motherfuckin' Pokemon with robots

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 22, 2012

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Whoops! I totally thought I wrote Soulblazer even when I didn't. And also I thought I wrote quintology when I wrote quad.

I haven't had my coffee yet today and my brain is a little sluggish (:ssh: I totaly have I'm just idiot)

So yeah: Act, Soul, Illusion, Terra, Grandstream.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

I felt like Actraiser 2's biggest problem was that the controls were bullshit clunky. I could only beat two or three of the stages when I was a kid. I totally loved Actraiser 1 though.

Bear Sleuth posted:

Whoops! I totally thought I wrote Soulblazer even when I didn't. And also I thought I wrote quintology when I wrote quad.

I haven't had my coffee yet today and my brain is a little sluggish (:ssh: I totaly have I'm just idiot)

So yeah: Act, Soul, Illusion, Terra, Grandstream.

In fact, you might call them a quintet.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I have a soft spot for Quintet. Illusion of Gaia is seriously one of my favorite games of all time. It's one of those games that just oozes "heart." The characterization and the gameplay could probably have had more to do with each other, but I just have so much loving fun playing that game.

I love Terranigma and ActRaiser. I thought Robotrek was… Okay, I didn't like Robotrek, but I liked some of the pixel art. :shobon: I keep meaning to play Granstream all the way through, but without any kind of sentimental attachment the faceless characters kind of freak me out. I even have Project Laika and ActRaiser 2, but I haven't gotten around to looking at either.

EDIT: I actually preferred Gaia to Terranigma, but I freely admit that nostalgia probably plays a big role there.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 22, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Nah, IoG totally had tighter controls and a better score. Terranigma edges it out from a gameplay perspective, it was a late SNES game so obviously it looks worlds better, and its story was actually coherent historical fiction rather than the weird timespace religious Frankenstein's Monster of Illusion of Gaia (even if it eventually gets batshit as... well, poo poo), but there's certainly something to be said for the earlier title.

I say this having played Terranigma to completion some years before IoG.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

IoG totally had a better score.

Bwah!?

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Then you get to Mudo in DQ6 and realize you have to grind or get lucky as hell because the last part of the fight against him is utterly brutal and is harder than the majority of fights you'll have for the rest of the game (largely because you can't class change yet). I played DQ6 for the first time on an emulator and I had never abused savestate as much in a single fight as I did with him. I honestly thought you were supposed to lose at first because of how silly it was.

DQ6 is the hardest game in the series, IMO. Its the only one you really need to grind in.

I've started playing X-2 and hoping to get 100%. It's really nerve racking not knowing if you have exactly the percentage you need (I'm following a guide to make sure I don't miss anything). Game doesn't seem too long, though, which is nice.

I've also been slogging through FFVIII while watching movies at night. God I hate Squall, but I'm trying to beat every game I haven't yet before the end of the year. After that I will beat IX(:dance:) , finish up XIII and then finally start XIII-2.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Vinchenz posted:

DQ6 is the hardest game in the series, IMO. Its the only one you really need to grind in.

Dq7 is grindier at times.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, IoG totally had tighter controls and a better score.

I'm agreeing with Bear Sleuth here, IoG's score was nothing to scoff at but Terranigma's music was consistently better than IoG's and probably most if not all SNES era games'. There might be individual tracks in a game that were better, but Terranigma's was consistently amazing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Vinchenz posted:

I've started playing X-2 and hoping to get 100%. It's really nerve racking not knowing if you have exactly the percentage you need (I'm following a guide to make sure I don't miss anything). Game doesn't seem too long, though, which is nice.

Even following a guide I missed like .2%. It's ridiculous.

The "good" ending is affected by a single scene you're not prompted about anyway.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Yeah...

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 23, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Hence the quotes but when I was like 14 or whenever that game came out I liked the good one more because I had no concept of moving on being a good thing yet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I guess I just wasn't really a fan of Terranigma's synth instruments, especially its really tinny and uncommited percussion. And that final battle music, it has like four measures of being not-uninspired.

As far as FFX-2 goes, I think we're just looking at it from the wrong perspective. Realistically, the "moving on" ending is best, but from a fairytale point of view, there's really only one way it should be ending, and it shouldn't require you to get 100% of everything ever to see.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 22, 2012

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Mister Roboto posted:

Dq7 is grindier at times.

DQ7 was grindier only because Enix took the well-balanced class system from DQ6 and stretched it to ridiculous proportions. DQ6 is an absolutely fantastic game and one of the best SNES games, though the remakes of 4 and 5 (especially 5) really outshine it.

Mudo is a dick, though.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Defiance Industries posted:

I think it spends too long breaking down the character stats when they practically start off by saying "with this huge cast they designed it so you could pretty much use whoever you want," but the stuff about narrative structure and leitmotifs and who gets how much dialogue was interesting.

Yeah actually as I got further into the article his statistical analysis started to look suspect. He has this Sabermetrics thing going on where he builds mathematical models for elements of the game experience but then confuses those for the Game Design itself.

Like "RDur" or whatever is gonna give you more insight into the way the game works than, for example, the actual damage formulas. Even though "RDur" is really just an important looking line that appears on a graph when you play the game in the way the mechanics tend to push you to do.

I mean he's the statistician, not me, maybe I'm missing something, but that seemed fishy.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

I guess I just wasn't really a fan of Terranigma's synth instruments, especially its really tinny and uncommited percussion. And that final battle music, it has like four measures of being not-uninspired.

As far as FFX-2 goes, I think we're just looking at it from the wrong perspective. Realistically, the "moving on" ending is best, but from a fairytale point of view, there's really only one way it should be ending, and it shouldn't require you to get 100% of everything ever to see.

Everything that might be wrong with Terranigma's synth instruments is made up for by the majesty of the tracks accompanying Zue, the Underworld, and the Magirock shop.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

They dont.

Enjoy the Curse effect, which is quite possibly the worst status effect ever put in to a game. Also your characters will change their gear sometimes depending on poo poo they ask for, or just because, even if it sucks in the end. You can gently caress up extremely good characters by telling them they should/shouldn't training something they're thinking of.

I don't even think it's a bad game though. The story is pretty dull so far, but I really do enjoy the way the game handles large-scale combat, and the music is top notch. Just the whole Battle Rank/leveling and some side quests seem like they were made to make you buy the guide. "Oh yeah, hit up this huge rear end area you don't have a map of yet and find these two NPCs." Kind of reminds me of White Knight Chronicles quests.

Thank God the wiki exists.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Final Fantasy Tactics is so loving good they added anime cutscenes with voice acting and yet made it better.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

What?

FFX-2 has more in common with FFXIII then The Last Remnant.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is so loving good they added anime cutscenes with voice acting and yet made it better.

Tactics is the greatest game Square has ever put their company logo on. I still can't believe it has been over 10 years and we still don't have a game that uses that type of strategic combat. I mean, I would have hoped with things like Kickstarter and Greenlight some indie guys would get together and give us an RPG with those same mechanics, but....nope.

Maybe it's just me that thinks it has the best strategy combat I've ever seen in an RPG?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

Tactics is the greatest game Square has ever put their company logo on. I still can't believe it has been over 10 years and we still don't have a game that uses that type of strategic combat. I mean, I would have hoped with things like Kickstarter and Greenlight some indie guys would get together and give us an RPG with those same mechanics, but....nope.

Maybe it's just me that thinks it has the best strategy combat I've ever seen in an RPG?

It's the best mix of simple and complex in my eyes. If I didn't have fall semester starting soon I might have half a mind to start a love letter game project. Hopefully I'm not the only one and there's something in the works already.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Dr Pepper posted:

What?

FFX-2 has more in common with FFXIII then The Last Remnant.

I dunno, I can see how similar Last Remnant is to 13. X-2 has the idea of class switching but all commands are still very manual. LR is all automated with only basic strategies being switched between. You alternate between Attack and Defend, and Heal but no direct control on your forces. This is super similar to 13 you alternate Paradigms with only the barest of control on the actual actions that your guys take after you change.

X-2 is more of an evolution of the ATB and class systems of the SNES games (hence why it's called the ATB Kai system).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Also, the "bad" ending is far better anyways than the "good" or the "perfect" one.

But I don't want everyone to die.

I assume you mean the "Normal Ending" though and that is something I give X-2 props for. It actually gives you a choice to keep Tidus dead.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

ApplesandOranges posted:

TLDR: Bandit and Master Thief are pretty much all you need. Zidane should always have Bandit on till the end of the game anyway.

I just realized I had Bandit turned on, which is why I'm hitting so much. I don't remember equipping it.

How do people figure out how the gameplay mechanics work, ie, the calculations as to whether a steal will work, or how an attack's damage is calculated? Is it just a matter of trial and error and doing calculations based of what results they get? Or are neckbeards just breaking the game open and swimming in glorious, delicious code?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

NikkolasKing posted:

But I don't want everyone to die.

I assume you mean the "Normal Ending" though and that is something I give X-2 props for. It actually gives you a choice to keep Tidus dead.

There is actually a different ending that's called the "Sad" ending if you got a really low % where you get a ghost of Tidus instead of the real thing or nothing at all.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

TL posted:

Or are neckbeards just breaking the game open and swimming in glorious, delicious code?

Usually this.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I'm still playing VI Advance and I've never actually beaten an Intangir without using Doom. Since that beloved glitch won't work on the Advance version, I need another plan. Every FAQ I've read points out that Stop works on the creature. But outside of Gau's Bug Rage, can any of my characters actually get the Stop spell in the World of Balance? I thought the only espers who gave it came from the World of Ruin.

I know I could just move onto the World of Ruin and just hunt down Intangir in the Veldt, (He shows up there now that I've run from him.) but I'd rather beat him here than hunt down a needle in a loving haystack. Also, I really want those AP.

EDIT: Never mind. Got the Bug Rage and beat Intangir.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can get Stop in the Word of Balance from Golem.