Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Why do I have a feeling that Kiryu was framed for killing Majima and that's why he went to Fukuoka? Maybe Saejima too, but he actually got caught/convicted/whatever.
And then at some point we find out from Hanaya or someone that it was all a conspiracy started by Haruka's producer to blow up Millenium Tower for some reason, and actually Majima faked his death because Majima, and while he was playing Tom Sawyer he decided to stop the conspiracy somehow.

There we go. Add in some fights on tall buildings/with bears/in taxis, subtract some shirts, and there you have the plot of Yakuza 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
No one dies in Yakuza unless they go against the serie's weird morale system, so unless Goro killed someone cold blooded it's probably another too elaborate and complext plot.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
In Yakuza 3 that junior Yakuza buddy of yours from Okinawa is killed, and there wasn't anything immoral, right? His death also sucks because it results in a couple of missable events.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Here's the trailers they were showing if you missed the streams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWs2hhb3x20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he75_ROoy9o

I'm very excited by the prospect of racing chickens in little chutes.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Segment #3 is going to start in a few minutes. It'll have the voice actresses that did the dialog of the rivals of Haruka. Maybe they'll show more of the dance battle system.

Streaming links:
ustream:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/segatgs2012
http://tgs.sega.jp/2012/sega-studio/ust.html

nico stream, no need to log in: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv106469801

10 minutes in, just the director and other guy talking about the voice actors.

:stare: Those bitches tripped Haruka into the lap of a guy, spilling his coffee everywhere.

35 minutes later: other than the small video with Haruka, nothing new was shown. :sigh:

Last segment is tomorrow at around 9:45pm Pacific with one of the hostess actresses.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 22, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Video of someone playing Yakuza 5 horribly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEi-74y2xQM

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
The guy didn't know if Yakuza 4 had been released in America yet. :v:

I guess that goes to show just how little attention the Yakuza series gets in the West.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

No one dies in Yakuza unless they go against the serie's weird morale system, so unless Goro killed someone cold blooded it's probably another too elaborate and complext plot.

Even if they are shot with guns? Why is Yakuza so much less lethal than most Crime Sandboxes where optimistically you only have 100 deaths minimum and can go up to a small town's worth of bodies in games like GTA and Saints Row.

Also Kiryu is small time, Tatsuya can serve a mad helping of Gelato, act as a Ramen Chef, cook street food and be paid by the platter, greet and serve hostess club members or shove down overenthusiastic patrons at the tantra strip club.

And grab burgers down a conveyor belt. I wish GTA was more like that, do average day jobs for huge amounts of cash.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 22, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

gyrobot posted:

Why is Yakuza so much less lethal than most Crime Sandboxes where optimistically you only have 100 deaths minimum and can go up to a small town's worth of bodies in games like GTA and Saints Row.
Because it's trying to tell a story and that would completely clash with everything established about its characters.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Other crime sandbox games are for adolescents. Yakuza is for men. Manly men. The manliest of men. :colbert:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Other crime sandbox games are for adolescents. Yakuza is for men. Manly men. The manliest of men. :colbert:

I guess, I mean in Grand Theft Auto, people die all the time from your average joe to the big name gang members. Yet in Yakuza, the deathcount is extremely low by crime drama standards. But then again, Japanese Version of Sleeping Dogs frowns upon the idea of committing a rampage.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The last Yakuza 5 segment at TGS is going to be on in a few minutes. It will probably mostly be about hostess stuff.

Oh, the director won some sort of award. I wonder what it's for.

Surprise! 15 minutes passed and nothing new so far.
The ladies that played hostesses in the game came out to say hello, and that was it.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 23, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yechezkel posted:

The last Yakuza 5 segment at TGS is going to be on in a few minutes. It will probably mostly be about hostess stuff.

Oh, the director won some sort of award. I wonder what it's for.
It's the Japan game awards "future award", for games not published yet. Other winners were Phoenix Wright 5, Metal Gear Rising Revengence, Bravely Default and some others, 11 in total. Something tells me its mostly a measure of how popular/profitable they think they will be.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
So, just like the E3 awards that publishers splash all over the cover art like they mean something.

Housh posted:

What's in the swag box?? I still got my Yakuza 1 fan from TGS 2006. Looks like they stepped up their game.

It looks like it's just a paper fan and a newspaper. That's what the hosts kept showing from the box.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
I feel incredibly dirty for doing this, but I've gone to some random eBay member to pre-purchase Yakuza 5. The storyline implications with Majima... I need my hands on this hot, hot videogame as soon as possible.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

The Macaroni posted:

* Hilariously, a lot of the hostess dating content is still in Yakuza 3, it just gets rammed in the weirdest places. Like you'll go to grab a burger at a fast food joint, and a weirdly overdressed girl will hit on you and ask you out. Then you fight goons and go to a love hotel with her. No, really.

The first time I played Yakuza 3, I didn't realize that was what had happened, so I kept on going into Smile Burger (or the S-Burg, as I eventually started calling it) and marveling at how fly this guy was that he kept on picking up totally hot chicks when he's just trying to ram down a burger before he goes out and busts some punks.

I remember being super disappointed the first time I went to the S-Burg (where all the ladies love you!) in Yakuza 4 and there wasn't a single hot chick there. Once I found them in the hostess clubs I realized what had happened, but for a while Yakuza 3 was even more magical to me.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
NEW YAKUZA PS3
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/01/yakuza-5-playstation-3-bundle-goes-for-the-gold/
http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/news/detail/590.html
http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/hardware/hsn0023.html
http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201210020008/

It has all of the emblems from the clans in gold. Anyone here know them all?

It also comes with a gold/black Dualshock 3, a copy of Yakuza 5, a special 8 GB flash drive with some sort of digital content loaded into it, a Yakuza 5 beach towel, and I think an emblem seal to put on the Dualshock 3.

It costs ¥37800, which is around $485. :eek: And this is the 250GB version of the PS3, not the 500GB version.

It's not as good looking as the white Yakuza 3 PS3, that's for sure.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 2, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Kind of an :effort: design there. I'm more curious about the beach towel.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
More Yakuza 5 product placements:
Now there is a Yakuza 5 noodle bowl.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Yakuza series is the king of weird product tie-ins. Well, if that's the case then I guess Final Fantasy is the queen, I still remember Final Fantasy "potion" energy drinks in Japan. The ad said they restored 100 hit points.

edit: vvv oh, Saejima is back into women now?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 4, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hostess system is getting a revamp in Y5 too

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I would totally get that noodle bowl and be a dumb gaijin and eat spaghetti out of it.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Want to get that noodle bowl so bad. :cry:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
How about a Yakuza 5 box of tissues?

I thought this box was the Limited Edition box they were showing off at TGS, but it wasn't.

I can't find it, but the best Yakuza product tie-in was the real-life version of the hangover cure Legendary Drinker of Ryukyu from the game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
Now I don't know how much the Yakuza fan community was asking for taxi driving, bear hunting, a dance minigame, and uh....chicken racing, but I am glad the developers realized at least one person would want it and put it in anyway.

shino
Dec 28, 2004
do not open

Useless Shotgun posted:

Now I don't know how much the Yakuza fan community was asking for taxi driving, bear hunting, a dance minigame, and uh....chicken racing, but I am glad the developers realized at least one person would want it and put it in anyway.

Don't forget more realistic baseball!

I suck so hard at the batting minigame, I wish they went back to just buttons and timing. :(

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Useless Shotgun posted:

Sometimes, you gotta go balls out.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

shino posted:

Don't forget more realistic baseball!

I suck so hard at the batting minigame, I wish they went back to just buttons and timing. :(

Watch them just put a straight-up full baseball game as a minigame.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

For Europeans, Yakuza Dead Souls is already down to £9.99 on Amazon UK. You probably should pick it up if you haven't yet.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Check out these screenshots of minigames. FPS snowball fights!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

For Europeans, Yakuza Dead Souls is already down to £9.99 on Amazon UK. You probably should pick it up if you haven't yet.

yeah, that's my sweet spot for that game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So here are a bunch of new screenshots for even MORE optional mini-games. Ping pong is back, fishing is now apparently something done in the middle of a city river, you can go to photo booths, and the Virtua Fighter 2 port is shown.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

The stand-up comedy bit with Haruka looks like it'll be fun. :dance:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

gyrobot posted:

Even if they are shot with guns? Why is Yakuza so much less lethal than most Crime Sandboxes where optimistically you only have 100 deaths minimum and can go up to a small town's worth of bodies in games like GTA and Saints Row.

I have no problem with the lack of murders my one issue will always be the rubber bullet bullshit with Saejima. I don't know why the gently caress Team Yakuza ruined the story with a nonsensical plot twist. The only reason I can imagine is it had to do with parental ratings or something along those lines. What they pulled with the rubber bullets is something I'd expect from a Saturday morning children's cartoon.

Sorry but I'm still annoyed by that one flaw in Yakuza 4, looking forward to the 5th.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Maybe it helped because I read about it in the thread before I got to it, but the fake bullets thing didn't bother me much. I don't know anything about rubber bullets in real life, so their explanation that the pain was still enough to knock everyone out after getting shot by one was enough to keep me in. :downs:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

DropsySufferer posted:

I have no problem with the lack of murders my one issue will always be the rubber bullet bullshit with Saejima. I don't know why the gently caress Team Yakuza ruined the story with a nonsensical plot twist. The only reason I can imagine is it had to do with parental ratings or something along those lines. What they pulled with the rubber bullets is something I'd expect from a Saturday morning children's cartoon.

Sorry but I'm still annoyed by that one flaw in Yakuza 4, looking forward to the 5th.

I'm don't think it has anything to do with parental ratings considering that immediately after the rubber bullets incident, Katsuragi goes in and shoots all of them execution style while they're completely helpless, which is way more brutal.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I personally just chalked it up as Yakuza brand craziness and moved a long. Considering the stuff that has happened in the series, that wasn't that hard to swallow.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Zettace posted:

I personally just chalked it up as Yakuza brand craziness and moved a long. Considering the stuff that has happened in the series, that wasn't that hard to swallow.

Well, my bigger problem with it was that I was really digging his character arc and thought it was cool to be playing as a man who regretted taking all those lives and having to live with that, despite his loyalty to the yakuza, and then they just kinda go "Nope, never mind".

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

DropsySufferer posted:

It's pretty much because they wanted to give Saejima a good ending, let him be a "hero", and keep him around for future games. That's how we have him wrestling bears in Yakuza 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Well, my bigger problem with it was that I was really digging his character arc and thought it was cool to be playing as a man who regretted taking all those lives and having to live with that, despite his loyalty to the yakuza, and then they just kinda go "Nope, never mind".

They didn't do that at all. He still believed it all those years. Finding out otherwise doesn't just make you go, "oh, well okay. Not traumatized anymore! :downs:"

• Locked thread