Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
The best part of the latest episode was Neptune's face as he watched the giant pufferfish get goaded into blowing up bigger and bigger. Looked a little like pity. As for the rest, basically nothing happened. A bubble was launched. I feel conflicted saying this, but I want some crappy filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

cooldude2.0 posted:

The best part of the latest episode was Neptune's face as he watched the giant pufferfish get goaded into blowing up bigger and bigger. Looked a little like pity. As for the rest, basically nothing happened. A bubble was launched. I feel conflicted saying this, but I want some crappy filler.

I'm all for filler. In my opinion, the filler is usually not too bad. I understand it's hard to break out of the arc and do some filler (Bleach figured it out, I guess...), but I think the fans would be a lot happier. Even if they do the ones where everyone is in medieval Japan.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I'm all for filler. In my opinion, the filler is usually not too bad. I understand it's hard to break out of the arc and do some filler (Bleach figured it out, I guess...), but I think the fans would be a lot happier. Even if they do the ones where everyone is in medieval Japan.
They could stick in 4 of those right after Fishman Island, sort of like they did two right after the Straw Hats were taken out on Sabaody. It's the perfect place and gives a little more room so they can pace things right. They even range from surprisingly okay-ish to funny). Or they could stay on Fishman Island a bit longer after the party and have the requisite "Sanji faces off against a cook," "Usopp gets himself into trouble," "Robin does mysterious things," "Brook does amazing things," etc. filler.

People's dreams never die. :smith:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Endorph posted:

It's definitely a victim of the anime's pacing - I remember it going by a lot quicker in the Manga.

And even then the manga was still way too long and drawn out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

Bleach's filler break was hilarious in the way it did it though. If I remember correctly they actually broke off mid fight for an extended period and had Ichigo be annoyed by it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Bleach's filler break was hilarious in the way it did it though. If I remember correctly they actually broke off mid fight for an extended period and had Ichigo be annoyed by it.

Yeah, they also broke the fourth wall when they resumed. I can't find the clip, but I did find a minute filler animation of someone eating. Though I think an episode of Luffy eating could potentially be entertaining. (Much like any Toriko crossover.)

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
More stuff like Luffy attempting to read a book would be great. Someone should just tell Oda to jot down a list of amusing premises for things the crew does between arcs and use those as filler episodes. Single sentences that can be expanded into minutes of screentime.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
He already does that. In one of the SBS Q&As, he said he had so many ideas for the manga that he couldn't fit all of them in, so he'd often send some of those ideas to the anime crew. I know at least two early episodes of filler were supposed to be part of the manga but got cut due to him wanting to reach the Grand Line by chapter 100.

So, yeah, him sending ideas to the anime team to use as filler has been happening basically since the series started.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm really amazed we didn't get training arc during the time skip, there was enough room in there to make something interesting.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

He already does that. In one of the SBS Q&As, he said he had so many ideas for the manga that he couldn't fit all of them in, so he'd often send some of those ideas to the anime crew. I know at least two early episodes of filler were supposed to be part of the manga but got cut due to him wanting to reach the Grand Line by chapter 100.

So, yeah, him sending ideas to the anime team to use as filler has been happening basically since the series started.

Well he clearly needs to send them more crap then. I want more Daddy the Father episodes and less Zenny Pirates. Either way though, we need the filler. It's Filler or the terrible pain of Endless Recap loops.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

socialsecurity posted:

I'm really amazed we didn't get training arc during the time skip, there was enough room in there to make something interesting.

God no, this is as overdone of a trope as any.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nullsmack posted:

God no, this is as overdone of a trope as any.

Yes, it is, but it also would've been filler that basically writes itself. And I'd really rather have filler than have the pacing this arc's going through, and I really really hope the next arc doesn't have these pacing problems. That would just... ugh. No. It deserves better than that. I really hope the anime team either puts filler in before the next arc, or powers up through it anyway and puts in filler after, because I do not want that arc to have these pacing issues.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Well, to be fair, the next arc is a lot more action-packed, with the exception of a few chapters. If the recaps are the same length and we get our 2:30 minute opening, I think we'll be better on the pacing front. Oh hell, I'd watch anyway. I'm :allears: the next arc.

Maybe they can add a couple of episodes of crew interaction filler since we didn't get any time with the crew after they reunited and went on to Fishman Island? :unsmith:

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
Ugh, The filler isn't so bad when you're behind and you can watch several in a row, but I'm just not getting my One Piece fix when all we really get is... well I mean that last episode was almost just a recap of what happened in the last 5.

At this rate I would almost prefer just not getting an episode...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

I was under the impression that Oda was simply saving the flash backs for a later period, esp. when they use a new power. I mean a lot happened during those two years, I feel like he is eventually going to use that material.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode. Brook is now in in the same ridiculously overpowered fruit league as Robin. A true Soul Man.

Also, Luffy appears to have gone full Shaolin on the island after Raleigh left and learned animal attacks.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:swoon: Red Hawk! Brook! :swoon:

Arc's almost over. :dance:

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Gyges posted:

New Episode. Brook is now in in the same ridiculously overpowered fruit league as Robin. A true Soul Man.

Also, Luffy appears to have gone full Shaolin on the island after Raleigh left and learned animal attacks.

AWWwwwwww the stream is not found whenever I try to play it

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Best episode in a while. Zeo is the only fishman pirate that's entertaining. That was maybe the most plausible shonen fight dialogue, because they both actually stop to talk constantly instead of the usual "imsayingalotbutreallyitallhappensinasplitsecond"

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cooldude2.0 posted:

Best episode in a while. Zeo is the only fishman pirate that's entertaining.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying Zeo. Also, Luffy just set his arm on fire underwater where his strength is severely drained? o.O I guess the idea is that his Gear 2nd is just that powerful now... or something... or Ace's ghost is helping or something...

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, I'm really enjoying Zeo. Also, Luffy just set his arm on fire underwater where his strength is severely drained? o.O I guess the idea is that his Gear 2nd is just that powerful now... or something... or Ace's ghost is helping or something...
It shows that at this point, Luffy is incredibly powerful and could overpower most non-gimmicked enemies in a one-on-one match.

Spoilers for next arc:
Again, Luffy is being forced to complete below his threshold because the next main villain has control of gasses, and keeps stealing Luffy's oxygen so he doesn't have to fight him directly.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Gyges posted:

Not true, plenty of ways to break bones. Bash them, burn them, dunk them in acid. slicing tends to fail, but several good cannon blasts would probably do the trick.

Or you could go the pure evil route and just end his will to live somehow... I mean he only has the option to come back, he could choose not to. Someone had the fruit before him so you know death's gotta be possible.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I would be really interested in seeing something about a previous owner of a devil fruit we've already seen. Actually I'm kind of surprised that we haven't heard of anything like that. The devil fruits can make people so powerful I'm sure there are tons of legends/stories about them.

I want to see the person who had the Gum-Gum fruit before Luffy

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 24, 2012

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
But even if you break Brooks's bones, he can just reheal with some milk.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="407871200"]

You could always get Nami to pull another Buggy.

Hit him with a cannonball and tie up all the loose bones.

Unless his soul form shoots lasers from his eyes or something...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You guys are forgetting the easiest way: destroy his afro and you destroy his reunion and his dream.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="407871200"]

I'm pretty sure this was a joke, and that the only times that Brook has been shown to *actually* be healed by milk were anime-only filler scenes written by people who didn't realize that it was a joke. :eng101:

In the original Thriller Bark thing, he just announced that he was healed and then immediately fell down again like an idiot.

Dukeofdummies posted:

Or you could go the pure evil route and just end his will to live somehow... I mean he only has the option to come back, he could choose not to. Someone had the fruit before him so you know death's gotta be possible.

He had the option to come back ONCE. If he gets hurt badly enough to die again/completely break his soul's grip on his remains, I'm pretty sure it's game over.

KoB
May 1, 2009

mushroom_spore posted:

I'm pretty sure this was a joke, and that the only times that Brook has been shown to *actually* be healed by milk were anime-only filler scenes written by people who didn't realize that it was a joke. :eng101:

In the original Thriller Bark thing, he just announced that he was healed and then immediately fell down again like an idiot.

Sure, but he has to be able to heal somehow, and milk makes perfect One-Piece-world-sense.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

KoB posted:

Sure, but he has to be able to heal somehow, and milk makes perfect One-Piece-world-sense.

As far as I can tell he seems to just heal with time and Chopper's help like the rest of the crew. It's the same logic as being able to eat (and poop) just like everyone else does, I guess. :iiam:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The correct answer is that his heart allows him to do it.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I guess his ability to heal is a mystery ability!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The Nami special is already subbed in French (I can link because Funimation doesn't have the rights, right? :ohdear:). No clue about an English sub.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Autumncomet posted:

Arc's almost over. :dance:

With the way the pacing's been going I wouldn't be surprised if they spread this over 10 episodes.

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011

Azzents posted:

With the way the pacing's been going I wouldn't be surprised if they spread this over 10 episodes.

I cross checked with the manga (assuming it stays 1 episode per 1 chapter) and this arc is indeed almost over, and the parts that made it terrible (slooooooow, preachy unimportant backstory) is all but done with.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure each of the OP characters has a healing item:
Luffy, it's meat
Zoro, it's sleep
Franky, it's cola

The more human characters, not so much, but if I had to guess:
Nami, it's money
Sanji, it's women
Robin, it's books
Chopper is a doctor, so he autoheals I guess
Usoppu, --- well, I guess he heals like a human

So it's kind of natural for Brook to have a healing item, and milk makes a lot of OP-sense.

Also, I hope they sub that Nami special soon. I saw it on TV when it came out, and I really want to see it (and actually understand what they are saying). I think the Arlong Arc was one of the most powerful arcs, with the walk to Arlong being one of One Piece's best moments. Oda really knows how to build up to a villain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode is up.

Shirahoshi seems determined to replace Kurosaki-kun with Luffy-kun in the annals of annoying "battle" cries.

Edit: sorry

Gyges fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 30, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Why did you spoil everything in the episode for people dude.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Animation was all over the place but the finishers ranged from decent to drat good. Filler made sense, so that's nice.

Arc's end getting closer. :dance:

Just got an email from Amazon. They're offering up to 50% off anime titles. One Piece collection sets for less than $20. :stare:

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 30, 2012

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Gyges posted:

Shirahoshi seems determined to replace Kurosaki-kun with Luffy-kun in the annals of annoying "battle" cries.

Haha my thoughts exactly. Hopefully this is the last of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

lordfrikk posted:

Haha my thoughts exactly. Hopefully this is the last of her.

Unless she joins the crew.