Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

whydirt posted:

Nope, we do 3x RtR, then 3x Gatecrash, then finally RtR, Gatecrash, Sinker

The last one is Sinker, GTC, RTR in that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So I've been tuning this multicolor cube for a while now and need some advice:

How do I curb the power of white, especially W/R and W/G? I've been generally trying to buff U/R and B/R, but theres a lot of mana dependence on lots of double mana and we're trying to avoid that.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
GP event at my FLGS tomorrow afternoon. It'll be my first. :ohdear:

It's now a standard sealed, instead of the team event it was originally planned as being. I think it's 6xM13. Any tips? Would it be worth it to get onto MTGO after FNM tonight and run through a similar event there? Other than BREW, and leaning towards Exalted which seems to get there for me in M13, is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

GP event at my FLGS tomorrow afternoon. It'll be my first. :ohdear:

It's now a standard sealed, instead of the team event it was originally planned as being. I think it's 6xM13. Any tips? Would it be worth it to get onto MTGO after FNM tonight and run through a similar event there? Other than BREW, and leaning towards Exalted which seems to get there for me in M13, is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

Sealed depends so heavily on your pool.
Try to play your bombs if you can.

Don't try to 'splash' anything that costs more than one colored mana.

Try to play all your removal since it's at a premium.

Exalted is really good.

Sealed tends to be slower than draft so you can plan on games going longer.

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So are there any downright unplayable limited cards in RTR along the lines of Bountiful Harvest or Serpent's Gift?

Search Warrant looks pretty bad, and Destroy the Evidence seems extremely marginal for the mana even in a dedicated mill deck.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Aquus Steed seems like the worst creature in the set. Both its casting cost and activated ability seem way under the curve. It might end up in some sealed decks just due to a lack of blue bodies in your pool to go with your sweet bombs, but I can't see it getting played in draft unless you really screwed up.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

whydirt posted:

Aquus Steed seems like the worst creature in the set. Both its casting cost and activated ability seem way under the curve. It might end up in some sealed decks just due to a lack of bodies in your pool, but I can't see it getting played in draft unless you really screwed up.

Yeah, that's very much a bad 23rd card. That kind of ability isn't great to begin with even when it isn't overcosted. I wonder how playable even Downsize is.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I think you're undervaluing the ability. Costing a card, sure no, but being repeatable and tied to even a marginally relevant P/T it has the potential to make both attacker and blocker options worse for opponent every turn if you have any board presence beyond it.

The main issue I see is the ability cost, which really is pretty high.

Edit: In the back end of creature ranking for sure, but I wouldn't say it is worst.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

leaning on exalted can be a powerful stratergy but it really requires a saturation of correct cards. It can work in lower numbers, but it seems like people have caught on to how to deal with it and maindecking chandras fury is far from uncommon (and is a total blowout against exalted).

The safest thing you can do no matter what sealed pool you get is play a ton of creatures and keep your curve on the lower side. You'll want to have a strong early presence and a few key cards in the late game (even something like vastwood gorger). m13, unsuprisingly, is largely decided by creature quality and dealing with serious threats.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

So are there any downright unplayable limited cards in RTR along the lines of Bountiful Harvest or Serpent's Gift?

Search Warrant looks pretty bad, and Destroy the Evidence seems extremely marginal for the mana even in a dedicated mill deck.

Search the City. Pray you do not get that as your rare.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

meanolmrcloud posted:

leaning on exalted can be a powerful stratergy but it really requires a saturation of correct cards. It can work in lower numbers, but it seems like people have caught on to how to deal with it and maindecking chandras fury is far from uncommon (and is a total blowout against exalted).

The safest thing you can do no matter what sealed pool you get is play a ton of creatures and keep your curve on the lower side. You'll want to have a strong early presence and a few key cards in the late game (even something like vastwood gorger). m13, unsuprisingly, is largely decided by creature quality and dealing with serious threats.

Yeah, whenever I see someone in red with 5 untapped mana passing priority to me, I get very nervous if I went heavily for Exalted. I do appreciate the advice and will be hoping for some high-quality creatures in my packs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

legoman727 posted:

Search the City. Pray you do not get that as your rare.

There's a few really bad (at least for limited) rares. I was more wondering what commons / uncommons will be the last pick you see from every pack. M13 drafting it seems like every single 14th pick is one of Bountiful Harvest, Craterize, Serpent's Gift, Clock of Omens or Angel's Mercy.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
There are a lot of very marginal cards but maybe not a ton of Angel's Mercy cards. Chronic Flooding, Destroy the Evidence and Survey the Wreckage all seem like very likely 14th picks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, in addition to those at common/uncommon I'd add: Urban Burgeoning and Shrieking Affliction as cards I'd pretty much expect to be friends with basic land.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I really doubt Fall of the Gavel is good enough for limited.

Chemister's trick doesnt seem great. Im not sure there are good enough blockers in UR to make it profitable. People raved about courtly provocateur so I might be wrong here.

Same goes for downsize. I really cant see this card being limited viable.

Im not convinced theres a good mill archetype in this format, so Psychic spiral isnt probably good enough. Ill take this back if defenders.dec becomes an archetype and you can get milled by mike wazoski Doorkeeper.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Entropic posted:

Yeah, that's very much a bad 23rd card. That kind of ability isn't great to begin with even when it isn't overcosted. I wonder how playable even Downsize is.

I partially disagree - Saltfield Recluse was one of the best commons in Planar Chaos for limited because the threat of that ability makes combat an absolute nightmare for your opponent. I think that's the reason why the creature and ability are so expensive (and I agree that they are a little too expensive), but the problem is with the specific card, not the ability, and it's still better than 23rd card quality.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Chronic Flooding seems like a really efficient card for some sort of constructed self-mill deck, but I don't see it doing much in this Limited format.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
It's a great ability on a creature, but a 4-mana utility guy is a lot harder to work into your deck than a 3-mana utility guy, and leaving 3 mana up for the ability is way harder than leaving no mana up. Those both sound stupidly obvious but it's the difference between a 3-mana pinger and a 4-mana pinger that costs 3 to activate its ability-- the first is great, the second is awful. I agree that the spirit of the card is great in limited, but I don't see it really making the cut in RTR decks(unless the card quality is way lower than I think it is on first impression). For that cost they really should've made it Horn of Deafening at least!

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I really doubt Fall of the Gavel is good enough for limited.

I suspect it is a "hey he has a late card I flat out lose to and don't have enough answers for" sideboard card.

quote:

Chemister's trick doesnt seem great. Im not sure there are good enough blockers in UR to make it profitable. People raved about courtly provocateur so I might be wrong here.

I think it looks decent. It does require certain kind of board state, but being forced to make an attack with everything, at power minus, and possibly have it followed by devastating attack back has pretty big potential. I wouldn't limit my thinking to UR.

quote:

Same goes for downsize. I really cant see this card being limited viable.

I don't remember seeing Hysterical Blindness played in Innistrad limited. Downsize is more flexible with the normal mode costing U, which is much more sensible amount of mana to have up, but you still have to be setting up a trade or something to get value out of it. I guess you could sideboard it in against aggro enough deck, expecting block something dead with a pseudo-Angel's Mercy on top.

quote:

Im not convinced theres a good mill archetype in this format, so Psychic spiral isnt probably good enough. Ill take this back if defenders.dec becomes an archetype and you can get milled by mike wazoski Doorkeeper.

Mill has the same issue mill (of the non-self mill variety) had in Innistrad: as there is a viable graveyard mechanic, worst case scenario is that you're just giving gas to your opponent by going for you wincon. Trying to mill out deck heavily leaning on Scavenge will get pretty goddamn ugly.

I don't think Psychic Spiral is something even a mill deck wants, because it is so very unreliable. You would need to somehow make sure you get enough out of it, and lack of Mind Sculpt like mill cards to fill your grave and actually get back to your deck and possibly draw again is big hit against it. I suspect actual realistic milling wincon might come with Dimir in Gatecrash, and in full block draft.

I could imagine two scenarios where I might try Psychic Spiral: From sideboard in some control-control matchup I feel that easily stalls to replace something that is really bad in that matchup, the mill "drain" in late game probably makes sure you are not the one losing on decking and might give you some quality edge in the topdeck race (down a card to start with, though). Or splash in some Golgari base deck that has gone all in on Grisly Salvages and like. But that sounds pretty drat dubious.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

So I'm playing an M13 swiss draft and build a fairly crappy UW deck. I lose the first round to rancor on a knight of infamy. Next round I play a guy with a half decent black blue deck with a vampire nocturnus I accidentally did not essence scatter. I won game one. Game two really highlighted why you don't want to play Index.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
So I finally broke down and got an MTGO account. Played a couple new player event drafts. Thoughts:

Xathrid Gorgon is a stupid, stupid card. Two games I was down to like 6 or less life, dropped Gorgon, blocked for like 10 turns while petrifying things, then won with a single flier. DUUUUMB.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

My favorite thing to do is take Index late and hope I open Talarand (I never do).

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Oh god, I think I've gone 4 drafts without winning a match now. I should just stop trying. :negative:

I just finished a swiss and went 0-3. My deck wasn't even that bad, double prey upons, double rummaging goblins, arms dealer, I just never got the right card when I needed them. (I also probably played badly)

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Kabanaw posted:

Oh god, I think I've gone 4 drafts without winning a match now. I should just stop trying. :negative:

I just finished a swiss and went 0-3. My deck wasn't even that bad, double prey upons, double rummaging goblins, arms dealer, I just never got the right card when I needed them. (I also probably played badly)

In my experience rummaging goblin is not a card you want two of. What did your list look like?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you really want to mill I think you go in on the Doorkeeper Defender deck.

You can go Blue/Green or Blue/Red or hell, all three.

Blue has Doorkeeper (common) and Hover Barrier (uncommon). Green has Gatekeeper Vine (common) and Axebane Guardian (common). Red has Lobber Crew (common). The two green guys even help with the mana.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

More (Modern Peasant) Cubechat!

Since Modern lacks the cheap black reanimators found in old-frame cards, it doesn't seem like I can make that a strong archtype. In order to add some depth to the color, I was thinking of pushing a discard archtype using The Rack and the new Shrieking Affliction from RtR. Would the cards below be enough to enable this as a draftable archtype (assuming a standard cube size of 360)?

Existing Discard
Duress
Inquisition of Kozilek
Augur of Skulls
Liliana's Specter
Chittering Rats
Entomber Exarch
Okiba-Gang Shinobi
Blightning

Possible Additions
Ravenous Rats
Mind Rot
Honden of Night's Reach (Assuming I do test out the Honden cycle anyway)

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

I don't know about making it a draftable archetype, but you should consider Wrench Mind and Cry of Contrition as well.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

LeafHouse posted:

In my experience rummaging goblin is not a card you want two of. What did your list look like?

I mostly had the second rummaging goblin in there as fuel for the arms dealer. There weren't many creatues I would have played over that, to be honest. And since my curve was low enough I was pretty content with throwing away any lands once I hit five.

It was red/green with a pretty low curve, mostly two and three drops curving out at 5. Double bladetusk boars, mogg flunkies, double timberpack wolves, sentinel spider, rancor, double prey upon, double plummet, and a naturalize in the sideboard.

I don't think I mulliganed well, either. A lot of games I kept hands with 5 lands and no creatures and hoped that some of my two and three drops would start coming in, and I probably should have gone to 6 to find some creatures, since my deck needed to get in quick.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Kabanaw posted:

A lot of games I kept hands with 5 lands and no creatures and hoped that some of my two and three drops would start coming in, and I probably should have gone to 6 to find some creatures, since my deck needed to get in quick.
A lot of times when I'm deciding to mulligan I ask myself what I would need to draw to win the game. If the answer is something like "3 out of my next 4 draw steps need to be creatuers" it's probably not a keeper.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Against my better judgment, I made a thread for my cube over on MTGSalvation so that I don't fill this thread with cubechat that other people likely aren't interested in. If you are interested in budget/peasant cubing, please check it out and post if you have any suggestions!

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=449670

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Managed to make a mill deck in my first for real draft of M13 on MTGO. Two mind sculpt, two entrancer, archaeomancer, divinations, the works. First round: opponent has a Sands of Delirium and I lose 0-2 :v:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

FLEXBONER posted:

Managed to make a mill deck in my first for real draft of M13 on MTGO. Two mind sculpt, two entrancer, archaeomancer, divinations, the works. First round: opponent has a Sands of Delirium and I lose 0-2 :v:

Reminder that Sands of Delirium was nearly printed at Uncommon. Wouldn't that have been swell!

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

Reminder that Sands of Delirium was nearly printed at Uncommon. Wouldn't that have been swell!

Match 2: milled out by Jace. Neither of these guys had any other mill cards and all games were >12 turns. I loving hate my life.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

whydirt posted:

Against my better judgment, I made a thread for my cube over on MTGSalvation so that I don't fill this thread with cubechat that other people likely aren't interested in. If you are interested in budget/peasant cubing, please check it out and post if you have any suggestions!

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=449670

Salvation's cube forum is actually solid, it's a real oasis.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

FLEXBONER posted:

TOP TIP: don't draft the mill deck

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

scribe jones posted:

TOPPER TIP: The mill deck is very doable in M13

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

scribe jones posted:

TOPPEST TIP: in draft, unless you have the sands or the jace, you did not draft the mill deck. Sands is a great card in any non-aggro draft deck.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

TOPPEST TIP: in draft, unless you have the sands or the jace, you did not draft the mill deck. Sands is a great card in any non-aggro draft deck.

SUPER TOP TIP NO TAKEBACKS http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/channel-lsv-m13-draft-10/

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

I had basically this exact deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LeafHouse posted:

In a deck that actually wants Rummaging Goblin (ie, NOT AN AGGRO DECK), the second Rummaging Goblin is fine. Because in that deck you want to get your Rummager as soon as possible, and if you get the second one you can just ditch it to the first.

In M12, or any other previous format in the history of Limited Magic, I've never been a situation where I said "I don't want more than 1 Merfolk Looter", and the Goblin one is only marginally worse.