Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

greenman100 posted:

Your R6 made that HP at ~14-15k RPM. That's not practical in a jet pump. Down at 8k RPM, you were making 50HP.

I looked up a dyno of an R6 and this is pretty much spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

greenman100 posted:

Your R6 made that HP at ~14-15k RPM. That's not practical in a jet pump. Down at 8k RPM, you were making 50HP.

13k RPM. 12 years ago. With carbs.

Don't be dense.

ninja edit: yes, the redline is 15.5k RPM. Yes, it spun like hell to make that power.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

sofullofhate posted:

13k RPM. 12 years ago. With carbs.

Don't be dense.

ninja edit: yes, the redline is 15.5k RPM. Yes, it spun like hell to make that power.

I think youre missing the point. You couldn't put your engine into that application and make that much power.

That said I sold no less than 50 air to water intercoolers to a guy who fabbed turbo jetskis in Miami. They will put out more than 180HP.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Lord Gaga posted:

I think youre missing the point. You couldn't put your engine into that application and make that much power.

That said I sold no less than 50 air to water intercoolers to a guy who fabbed turbo jetskis in Miami. They will put out more than 180HP.

I'm not suggesting that 15.5k RPM is practical for a jetski. I'm suggesting that 12 years ago, a carbureted, factory stock engine made 200HP per litre, and that therefore it is not even remotely difficult to conceive of a tuned engine today making 180HP / litre in an RPM range useful for such an application.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

sofullofhate posted:

I'm not suggesting that 15.5k RPM is practical for a jetski. I'm suggesting that 12 years ago, a carbureted, factory stock engine made 200HP per litre, and that therefore it is not even remotely difficult to conceive of a tuned engine today making 180HP / litre in an RPM range useful for such an application.

The old R6es made like 95hp. You're looking at SS build + race gas to make 120hp on a current one. The 2000ish R1s made like 128-130hp.

What does a jetski rev to?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 20, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
How do you keep the water out of the intake when you go over like that? Most skis have a killswitch that'll cut the motor when you go off, sure, but if you stay on?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BlackMK4 posted:

The old R6es made like 95hp. You're looking at SS build + race gas to make 120hp on a current one. The 2000ish R1s made like 128-130hp.

No more than 8k. Yamahas have reduction gears because the (4-stroke) engines rev to 11-12k.

HP really isn't a practical measure in jet ski engines. It is quoted only because that's what people are used to

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Beach Bum posted:

How do you keep the water out of the intake when you go over like that? Most skis have a killswitch that'll cut the motor when you go off, sure, but if you stay on?
on my own, the engine compartment stays relatively dry. There are other measures in place that keep water away from the carbs, too.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

greenman100 posted:

His R6 was also a 4-stroke. This is a 2-stroke.

Built 125cc 2-strokes make ~50hp at 12-13k. 250 twins make 90hp. It's not at all unreasonable to expect 180hp at 8000rpm from a 1000cc 2-stroke motor.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Stock WHP when new. Look, I'm out of this derail, but my point stands. A sky-revving I4 is not the right answer for this application, but nobody should be loving surprised that a heavily modified skidoo is making this kind of power.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

sofullofhate posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. That looks ridiculously fun!

My 2000 R6 was 600cc and 120HP. 200HP / l. 12 years ago, with carbs.

Um, my 06 R6 only made like 112 :confused:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You guys are ruining the awesome thread and the awesome jetski derail. Shut the gently caress up about non-exploding motorcycles.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Godholio posted:

You guys are ruining the awesome thread and the awesome jetski derail. Shut the gently caress up about non-exploding motorcycles.

^

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
More failures!
I think a rod bearing came apart on that one and pieces found their way into the topend.

Hey where did that screw from the reed cage go? Oh.

Little oops with a pump shaft.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Something is wrong about that rod....

I think there's a stress crack in the gelcoat, bro.

Awesome crank damage:

Sometimes the rods hold up to hydrolocking. But something's gotta give.

Here's a personal favorite. Looks like the big end rod bearing likely let go and the rod broke.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/0sXS1.jpg]/timg]

And finally, love this one. Happened a couple hundred miles north. It's a good reminder of why to wear safety lanyards.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Something is wrong about that rod....

I think there's a stress crack in the gelcoat, bro.

Awesome crank damage:

Sometimes the rods hold up to hydrolocking. But something's gotta give.

Here's a personal favorite. Looks like the big end rod bearing likely let go and the rod broke.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/0sXS1.jpg]/timg]

And finally, love this one. Happened a couple hundred miles north. It's a good reminder of why to wear safety lanyards.

Safety lanyards tend to get in the way of doing flip & hood tricks. But I love the photos of the blown Yami motors and that poor 550.

E: For content

Mmmn water ingestion

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 20, 2012

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That's Daniel Martin. Do you know him? He's got a real good shot at the Am title in Havasu in a couple weeks.

I personally don't think lanyards get in the way of flips or any aerials. And nobody does hood tricks on aftermarket hulls and big motors.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's Daniel Martin. Do you know him? He's got a real good shot at the Am title in Havasu in a couple weeks.

I personally don't think lanyards get in the way of flips or any aerials. And nobody does hood tricks on aftermarket hulls and big motors.
I do, good buddy of mine my brother and I started riding with. Don't see him much anymore since I moved from Dallas to College Station for school. He's stupid good now, I think most everyone assumes that he'll just take the AM title at world finals. Jet Pilots letting him do the freestyle show at Kokomo's pool this year as well.

It's amazing how far he's come.

E: I do hood tricks on AM hulls don't judge me :(.
E2: I pulled those 701 photos off of the X just for content. Don't have any photos of my motor mishaps unfortunately.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 20, 2012

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Are you a member on X-H20?

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Are you a member on X-H20?

I am, although I usually lurk. Same name as on here though.

Shoot me a PM over there so we don't clutter up this thread anymore.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Diametunim posted:

I am, although I usually lurk. Same name as on here though.

Shoot me a PM over there so we don't clutter up this thread anymore.

Move it to the Jetski thread. I want to hear more of this.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sockington posted:

Move it to the Jetski thread. I want to hear more of this.

Are socks allowed on Jet skis?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Sockington will find a way to make a jetski rust.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Here we go again!

Reminds me of The Alien.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Nice 'hawk, man.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Hmmm, yes. Use dynamite. The whole shop is a write-off now. I'm sorry for your loss.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That wheel does not have nearly enough bling to be classic Mr. T.

It's more like the modern, gold-free Mr. T.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

How was this "deflated"

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Please tell me his mandingo's just a little messy and that's not a piece. :ohdear:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

How was this "deflated"
Hopefully with a rifle at 50 yards. :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"That's a pretty sweet looking offroad tread patter... that's not an offroad tire at all."

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

First thing that popped into my head:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

nmfree posted:

First thing that popped into my head:

Heh, pop. :psyboom:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Keeping on the subject of tires.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If that was a drag tire, that would actually be a good look (sans the gaping holes in the sidewall).

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
A rust failure. Top is the swaybar I removed, bottom is a swaybar I just picked up. The links are supposed to push on the end.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nitr0 posted:

Keeping on the subject of tires.

Drove underinflated until it popped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LN6zSs0e-Q&t=23s