Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Just finished up Bonehunters and had a question about a character I'm sure I've seen before in the series but can't place it the eres'al. Can someone give me a rundown of where it has been in play in books before the Bonehunters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Just finished up Bonehunters and had a question about a character I'm sure I've seen before in the series but can't place it the eres'al. Can someone give me a rundown of where it has been in play in books before the Bonehunters?

I actually don't think this is a spoiler The Eres'Al are super-primitive humans, think chimpanzees, who were domesticated by wolfs. In Forge of Darkness it's implied that the Dog Runners are humans. Who this eres'al is we don't really know other than she has an interest in Tavore and Bottle

A TCG spoiler/question I just realized that Bottle's name means Mahybe and that Braven Tooth as usual used his magic naming powers. When he wakes up in TCG, saved by Ruthan Gudd, I get the impression that he has multiple souls like Quick Ben and him being a vessel for souls (a bottle) seems quite apt.

TCG and Forge of Darkness Is the horse Quick Ben summons named? I'm rereading the TCG now and hopes that it is Caralas, Draconus charger, my theory is that Quick Ben is Arthan and Haut's protege. I'm trying to remember which family Mother Dark belonged to and if she might be Haut's protege's real mother.

Any way, thinking they are the two unknown souls in Quick Ben kinda makes sense

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

zokie posted:

I actually don't think this is a spoiler The Eres'Al are super-primitive humans, think chimpanzees, who were domesticated by wolfs.

Oh and in the fight at the end of Bonehunters who was the Soletaken silverback ape? It comes out then runs away when it sees Icarium is pissed. Was that the bonecaster that was with Trull, Onrack and Ibra? I think it was but I can't remember for sure if he was a soletaken.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I really should get to House of Chains one of these days. :negative:

You should get to reading HoC then, because it directly follows DG chronologically, and involves characters from DG.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Oh and in the fight at the end of Bonehunters who was the Soletaken silverback ape? It comes out then runs away when it sees Icarium is pissed. Was that the bonecaster that was with Trull, Onrack and Ibra? I think it was but I can't remember for sure if he was a soletaken.

I don't have my book with me but I think that was Monok Ochem if I have the name right. I remember something about him running like a coward when the going got tough but it's been a little while since I read Bonehunters.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

I started reading these a couple months ago; halfway through Memories of Ice right now. Kruppe just casually shrugged off a direct hit from Brood's hammer :aaaaa:

Do the Mhybe's chapters ever get less awful? So far it's just page after page of "woe is me, life sucks, I'm old and sad and want to die, blahhh". She somehow manages to be less fun to read than Felisin in the last book. At this point I'm just skimming past her parts so I can see more of Gruntle, Envy & co, Whiskeyjack... hell, I'd rather read a Paran chapter, at least he's surrounded by Bridgeburner awesomeness.

It's like riding the world's greatest rollercoaster, except every 20 feet it comes screeching to a halt and I have to get off and do my taxes while listening to Coldplay.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

The Ninth Layer posted:

I don't have my book with me but I think that was Monok Ochem if I have the name right. I remember something about him running like a coward when the going got tough but it's been a little while since I read Bonehunters.

Spoilers as above Everyone in the refuge gets sent to the throne to protect it, or maybe they get to the regfuge from there? That includes Trull, Onrack and a nice gang of T'Lan Imass. They all do their part to keep the Tiste Edur and Icarium away from the Throne of Shadow together with Quick Ben and Kalam's girlfriends army of shadow.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Abalieno posted:

So, if you were reading Dresden Files between the Malazan books, I'd suggest to try the Iron Druid instead.

It's just ridiculous on so many levels that it's simply brilliant. You won't regret it.

They are great however, the author puts way too many internet memes in. At one point the protagonist repeatedly uses lolcat speak, it was cringingly awful to hear on audiobook. Great fun otherwise, though, and its way less DBZ then Dresden tends to be.. the main character is thousands of years old and mad powerful already, so he doesn't get his poo poo kicked in three times every book, more he just kind of enjoys the ride..

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Just finished Midnight Tides. I have to say, the final line of the book is one of the best I've read in a while.

'...But for now ... I am going to beat a god senseless.'

I always knew Bugg was great, and imagining Bugg beating the hell out of the crippled god is awesome. That is to say that I hope it actually happens...I'm pretty fond of Bugg.

All that aside, I was really expecting a connection to the prologue of House of Chains with Trull being shorned, yet it never came. I suppose I'm to assume that it happened after he returns to Rhulad, and his "brothers" in the prologue are not actually Fear and Binadas but some of the other guys named brothers by Rhulad? I could easily have seen Binadas and Fear for most of the book standing aside while it happened, but given Fear's feelings at the end of MT I can't see him going along with it in his current state. Feel free to tell me to wait if this is something that gets covered in later books.

Now I can't wait to get paid Friday so I can pick up Bonehunters.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

That gets settled in Reaper's Gale, I think.

5ive
Oct 5, 2010

CORN NOG posted:

I started reading these a couple months ago; halfway through Memories of Ice right now. Kruppe just casually shrugged off a direct hit from Brood's hammer :aaaaa:

Do the Mhybe's chapters ever get less awful? So far it's just page after page of "woe is me, life sucks, I'm old and sad and want to die, blahhh". She somehow manages to be less fun to read than Felisin in the last book. At this point I'm just skimming past her parts so I can see more of Gruntle, Envy & co, Whiskeyjack... hell, I'd rather read a Paran chapter, at least he's surrounded by Bridgeburner awesomeness.

It's like riding the world's greatest rollercoaster, except every 20 feet it comes screeching to a halt and I have to get off and do my taxes while listening to Coldplay.

As someone who felt the same way you do regarding the Mhybe, no.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I'm at that same point in the series and honestly have started skimming past her inner dialogue.

Book three is still my favorite so far (for whatever that's worth at this point).

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

There's a section in Midnight Tides where we are 1st introduced to it. It's either Hull and the Acquitor, or it's Bugg and The Errant. One of the tribes the Letherii had conquered (the Fent?) worship it. Then, I am partially confused, but I think Udinaas meets it in one of his dream segments. There's a discussion of how she moves through time, implying a connection between events in MT and BH being directly contiguous

Edit: Yeah, that's the one
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

CrazyLikeAMadDog fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 31, 2012

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Are we talking about the same person(s) that made Bottle bust a nut in his pantaloons all the time?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

5ive posted:

As someone who felt the same way you do regarding the Mhybe, no.
She is a resentful bitch with a small mind.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

zokie posted:

TCG and Forge of Darkness Is the horse Quick Ben summons named? I'm rereading the TCG now and hopes that it is Caralas, Draconus charger, my theory is that Quick Ben is Arthan and Haut's protege. I'm trying to remember which family Mother Dark belonged to and if she might be Haut's protege's real mother.

Any way, thinking they are the two unknown souls in Quick Ben kinda makes sense

(TCG/FOD) Quick Ben is a guy from Seven Cities who was born in the present era of the BotF. The souls are the interesting part. It's possible he may have both their souls inside of him, or a soul of their child. I like the idea that Quick Ben could contain Arathan/Korya (or a child thereof, though it makes more sense with the Spar of the Andii speech that he contains both as he mentions both I and we) and that Ruthan Gudd is the yet unborn child of Arathan and Fener.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Every time I look at it I think Christmas. People in red suits riding a green carriage. I didn't even see the undeads the first dozen or so times I saw it, so I originally saw it as Santa's sleigh falling down a mountain for some unknown reason. Then I saw the undead and it's Santa's sleigh being attacked by undead and falling down a mountain.

That's the best thing. Even after you know what's supposed to be going on, it never stops looking like Santa's sleigh is having a really bad day.

Also, gently caress the Mhybe as a character. Her chapters in Book 3 are excruciating.

edit: Holy crap, I didn't even notice the next page in this thread and it turns out somebody expressed the same thought.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I bought GoTM in an airport a few years ago, and found it pretty drat special. I've read the series sporadically over the years and just finished Midnight Tides. The thing that I do really enjoy about it is that even though each book is just a fraction of a much larger story, each feels like something big and epic in its own right.
Stuff like The Wheel of Time or The Saga of Seven Suns (different genre, I know, but same problem) dolls out actual plot developments so sparingly that you never feel like you've got a full book. It's a poor way to phrase it, but every book leaves me feeling like I've got my money's worth.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

coyo7e posted:

She is a resentful bitch with a small mind.

She had her youth and life stolen for reasons beyond her understanding and control. I think she handled things pretty well all things considered

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Eres'al: We first see her in House of Chains where she rapes Trull and gets pregnant, giving birth to what may have been a child character in Midnight Tides, and which is possible due to time fuckery

Monok Ochem: Yeah, in the end of Bonehunters he gets welded to the First Throne mid Icarium rage.

Also Forge of Darkness is pretty good - short compared to a Book of the Fallen novel and it peters out towards the end something terrible - but I'm really looking forward to the next two in this trilogy.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

She had her youth and life stolen for reasons beyond her understanding and control. I think she handled things pretty well all things considered

Yeah I definitely don't begrudge her her feelings. I just think all the chapters focused on her were unnecessary and painful to read.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Every time I see the name Monok Ochem I have terrible organic chemistry flashbacks, so thanks for that Erikson.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Bonehunters: Totally didn't see Iskaral Pust whooping some Trol'Barahl rear end. I thought he might be hiding some fight in him, but nothing to the extent that he showed on a whim. Awesome.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Yarrbossa posted:

Bonehunters: Totally didn't see Iskaral Pust whooping some Trol'Barahl rear end. I thought he might be hiding some fight in him, but nothing to the extent that he showed on a whim. Awesome.

I always do this: :neckbeard: when I get a section with Pust in it. He is a complete badass.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Yarrbossa posted:

Iskaral Pust is totally awesome, Deck of Dragons spoiler or something He's the Magi of Shadow, why? Because Shadowthrone outsourced writing the Book of Shadows to him. Later there comes a new revision of the Book of Shadows saying High Priests are allowed multiple wives

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
I finished Forge of Darkness recently, and it was pretty awesome, though did slip a little too far into repeated arbitrary grittiness for my taste in part (something that I think Erikson normally dodges better than many curent popular fantasy authors). The plot and exciting metaphysical revelations were cool enough that I'm willing to forgive that however, and the framing device sent happy little "I love this setting" chills up my spine.

All in all, highly recommended. The UK hardback at least is also one of the prettiest books I've ever owned.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Vertigus posted:

Yeah I definitely don't begrudge her her feelings. I just think all the chapters focused on her were unnecessary and painful to read.

is she really any more whiny than any of the other characters who have to go through bad things? She kind of reminded me of a female version of Duiker

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

uh zip zoom posted:

is she really any more whiny than any of the other characters who have to go through bad things? She kind of reminded me of a female version of Duiker

I dunno, Duiker at least observes things and comments on them instead of talking about how much he hates everybody and everything.

zzttaozia
Aug 26, 2009

suck it down
I'm about half way through Bonehunters and got a question:

What is Paran doing? He releases the Deragoth and runs? After that, it's all golden, I'm following his story with no problems, but I feel like I missed something in the previous books.

zzttaozia fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 16, 2012

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

zzttaozia posted:

I'm about half way through Bonehunters and got a question:

What is Paran doing? He releases the Deragoth and runs? After that, it's all golden, I'm following his story with no problems, but I feel like I missed something in the previous books.

You'll see later on.

Well, sort of. The Deragoth are never mentioned again (even by ICE) even though they're supposedly loose in the world. Whatever, too many plot points to tie up everything I guess.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I started Toll the Hounds last night. I felt the first chapter and the Prologue felt like the set up to a game of Dungeons and Dragons. Plots everywhere, and a whole lot of threads starting. It's good to be back in Darujistan with what's left of the Bridgeburners. I also love Kruppe.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Just finished Memories of Ice. Bridgeburners :smith:

The only other fantasy series I've been really into was A Song of Ice and Fire, and GRRM had me conditioned to always expect my favorite characters to be hosed over at any moment. It took me two and a half books to adjust and stop cringing at the end of every chapter expecting some big betrayal. Then, as soon as I finally let my guard down, everybody dies.

Probably a stupid question, but I don't want to google this and spoil something. What happened to the old adjunct's sword? I thought Paran takes it at the end of GotM, but they haven't mentioned it since. I'd imagine a sword that nullifies magic might be a slight tactical advantage against a fleet of demon-birds loving you in the face with magic v:shobon:v

I was going to take a break from the series for a while and read something lighter, but then I read the prologue for House of Chains and changed my mind. Definitely glad I did, because I'm really liking this one so far.

Karsa and co. just got to the cave with all the writings on the wall about the history of the tribes and whatnot. The first three books were all a struggle to get into, and things never really clicked for me until a quarter of the way through, but this one grabbed me right away. I think it's the fact that at least so far, the POV hasn't been jumping around to new characters every other page.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

CORN NOG posted:

The only other fantasy series I've been really into was A Song of Ice and Fire, and GRRM had me conditioned to always expect my favorite characters to be hosed over at any moment. It took me two and a half books to adjust and stop cringing at the end of every chapter expecting some big betrayal. Then, as soon as I finally let my guard down, everybody dies.

Probably a stupid question, but I don't want to google this and spoil something. What happened to the old adjunct's sword? I thought Paran takes it at the end of GotM, but they haven't mentioned it since. I'd imagine a sword that nullifies magic might be a slight tactical advantage against a fleet of demon-birds loving you in the face with magic v:shobon:v

I was going to take a break from the series for a while and read something lighter, but then I read the prologue for House of Chains and changed my mind. Definitely glad I did, because I'm really liking this one so far.

Karsa and co. just got to the cave with all the writings on the wall about the history of the tribes and whatnot. The first three books were all a struggle to get into, and things never really clicked for me until a quarter of the way through, but this one grabbed me right away. I think it's the fact that at least so far, the POV hasn't been jumping around to new characters every other page.

House of Chains is pretty great, and Karsa is a great character. I just finished Forge of Darkness, and it's interesting to see how all these characters you know from the main series sort of fit together. Caladan Brood and Anomander Rake :black101:

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

CORN NOG posted:

at least so far, the POV hasn't been jumping around to new characters every other page.

Haha, enjoy it while you can. :)

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

CORN NOG posted:

[/spoiler]

Paran does have it and it does come up again later in the series, in a really cool way.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Hondo82 posted:

Paran does have it and it does come up again later in the series, in a really cool way.

That was one of my favourite moments. Finally someone takes the gods to task for what arseholes they've been. Most of the time I was surprised people worshipped any gods in this world.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Been going through Forge of Darkness today, and drat can Erikson still do it. The death of Orfantal's horse got me :smith: as gently caress.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I am now afew chapters into Toll the Hounds after starting a few days ago. The return of Rallick Nom has me all giddy. Is there a timeline showing jow many years it has been since GotM when he and the guild master went into the Azath? I am really enjoying being back in Darujistan because for some reason it just seems like a DnD city, and would be great fun to run around in. Also, do know what Kruppe actually is?is he a high mage? A diviner? I still love his scenes. Hope fully we folow Mappo around too since i just got to where everyone steps off the boat. Lastly: Iskaral Pust :neckbeard:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Forge of Darkness, not sure whether I should laugh or :stare: over Spite killing Malice, and her and Envy's subsequent murder of pretty much everyone in the house to cover it up/because they feel like it. Maybe some combination of the two would be appropriate, because drat.

Also didn't think Erikson could make me despise Olar Ethil more than I already did, but welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzttaozia
Aug 26, 2009

suck it down
Only about 200 pages through Reaper's Gale and it's already my favorite book so far more Tehol and Bugg chapters! Also Redmask and Silchas Ruin are loving badassess.

One question though, are the excavations that Karos Invactad is doing important to the story in anyway? I find myself just glancing over them whenever they've come up, just wondering if I should pay a bit more attention or not.