Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
This movie is great. If you're on the fence about it, go see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This movie was loving phenominal. I was super hyped going in but the tagline should be "Dredd going in and cleaning house: The Movie"

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I hate to say it, but I really think Urban should get an Oscar, because he turned the world's biggest loving joke of a movie character around and loving sold it. His dialogue was great.

"Yeah."

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
What I think this movie did right is not make Dredd the focal point, or even the main character. Dredd to me is a tour guide into the hosed up 2000AD world. Like others have said, he doesn't learn, he doesn't grow, he's a force of nature and an embodiment of the system. Anderson's a great every-person; who sees, doubts and develops in Dredd's shadow. When she shoots the unarmed, bleeding out perp I realised this wasn't a Hollywood adaptation but a true homage to the source material. The movie gets it, loves it, and I hope we get to see more of it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I liked Wood Harris as Kay, but I got distracted because I kept thinking about how he just looks like an older Tyler the Creator, and how some parts of that role would be right up his alley, based on his music and music videos and such.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I enjoyed the original soundtrack to the movie; especially the scene where Ma-Ma falls to her doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8c1DcC9jJA

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Amazing cinematography. Saw the 3D version and most of the movie it'll be a background effect, but every slo-mo scene uses it brilliantly. The fact that its in 3-D and in really really slow-motion was really enchanting.

Hyper-violent, with amazing set pieces and tension. Anderson really is the main character, she changes. Dredd is dredd.

Really cheering this movie on to do well at the box office so we'll have some more.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Mulletstation posted:

Amazing cinematography. Saw the 3D version and most of the movie it'll be a background effect, but every slo-mo scene uses it brilliantly. The fact that its in 3-D and in really really slow-motion was really enchanting.

Hyper-violent, with amazing set pieces and tension. Anderson really is the main character, she changes. Dredd is dredd.

Really cheering this movie on to do well at the box office so we'll have some more.

Amazing cinematography except for the embarassingly underlit scenes where the digital noise was loving laughably bad. Seriously, send that guy back to film school because holy poo poo me and my cinematographer friends were flabergasted that we were seeing scenes that poorly lit in a film of this level. You can tell they stupidly pushed the brightness in post and it looked really bad with all the noise.

Really showed how bad the RED One camera was when not handled perfectly.

Other than the really bad 3D conversion that plagued a lot of the scenes(yes they shot some in 3D but they also converted a lot), it was fantastic. The SlOMO scenes were just stunning.

The film was just a blast, it was everything I hoped it would be and I was really impressed with the unexpected focus on Andersons character. The movie really was about her and using Dredd as a vehicle for her development was really clever. Alex Garland is an amazing writer.

Go see this movie.

edit: Did anyone elses theater collectively laugh at that one henchmens HORRIBLE wig/haircut? My entire theater erupted with laughter when one henchmen is briefly focused on who has really horribly straightened fluffy black hair.

Jedit posted:

No, it was shot in 3D.

It was a mix. Some was shot in 3D, a lot of was corrected via conversion and about 90 shots were purely converted.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 22, 2012

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'm in London and I can't find any 2d screenings anywhere

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I'm in London and I can't find any 2d screenings anywhere

Go see it in 3d because its worth the extra bit to see the slo-mo scenes in 3D.

Also I now own 3D glasses with "D R E D D" stamped on the side of them. So hot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mulletstation posted:

Also I now own 3D glasses with "D R E D D" stamped on the side of them. So hot.

Mine are just regular RealD glasses :smith:

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Mine are just regular RealD glasses :smith:

D R E D D by Marc Jacobs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mulletstation posted:

D R E D D by Marc Jacobs

I would wear those in public and dish out judgement to lawbreakers.

Well, not really, but it would be pretty cool to get prescription lenses put in those and wear them as my everyday shades :v:

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
I just got home from seeing Dredd in 3D and I came out liking it a great a hell of a lot. Karl Urban is a great Dredd and Olivia Thirlby is also great as Anderson. The plot is simple, the acting is good, the writing is solid and it's shot drat well so while it's not deep what it does do it does extremely well. Go see this drat movie.

The Heckler posted:

One thing i was wondering, is there any significance to the red/black leather jacket that Ma-Ma is carrying in a few scenes? It's pinned onto the weapons wall at the end as well. thought it could be a comics reference like the 'Drokk' Jacket in the beginning?
I'm also curious about this since towards the end of the movieshe seems to stay close to it right up until Dredd and Anderson kick in the door but they never elaborate further.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

edit: Oh, and Ma-Ma was kind of hot :ssh:

I thought the same thing but then I noticed the decay of her teeth and man there went that.

Awesome movie, by the way. Pulled a double feature of this and End of Watch, made for a pretty awesome night at the theatre.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sticklefifer posted:

First, they made a conscious choice to keep [Dredd's]helmet on the entire time, and [Anderson's] helmet off the entire time.

This part doesn't need spoiling, and it wasn't a conscious choice - it was a deliberate shout-out to Anderson's first appearance in the comic, where she is carrying her helmet under her arm but is never seen with it again. In fact I can't recall any Psi-Judge wearing headgear other than Judge Omar, who wore a Sikh turban. It's not so important for them as they're rarely used on street duty.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I thought Dredd was quite good. It didn't pull punches in terms of showing violence and building the atmosphere of Mega City One but not for just the sake of it, but something that came out of characterization and with purpose.

Urban was really good as was the development of Anderson based on the experiences she had. Lena Headly was pretty amazing too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jefferoo posted:

I hate to say it, but I really think Urban should get an Oscar, because he turned the world's biggest loving joke of a movie character around and loving sold it. His dialogue was great.

"Yeah."

And a fun fact from the movie as part of staying true to the character Urban kept the iconic helmet on during the whole day of shooting.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well seems like this is doing really badly in the US, lots of reports of empty screenings. Box Office Mojo says it only took $2.2 million on Friday. So I guess a sequel's looking unlikely.

Thanks a lot America. :argh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

marktheando posted:

Well seems like this is doing really badly in the US, lots of reports of empty screenings. Box Office Mojo says it only took $2.2 million on Friday. So I guess a sequel's looking unlikely.

gently caress. Well I did my part and saw it I might have to see it again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Outside of a handful of things, I wasn't taken by this at all. Nice to see Wood Harris again, though!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

marktheando posted:

Goddamnit :smith:

Well if it doesn't get a sequel, that'd be okay with me honestly. I like it a whole hell of a lot as a standalone movie. Just sucks that they may not make their budget back.

bobkatt013 posted:

gently caress. Well I did my part and saw it I might have to see it again.

Yeah, same here. I'll be buying it on Blu-Ray day one, too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Outside of a handful of things, I wasn't taken by this at all. Nice to see Wood Harris again, though!

^^ This is definitely a buy. Maybe a huge dvd sale will make it so we will get a sequel. I am still in shock that Batman was the worst comic book movie this summer
Holy poo poo I knew he looked familiar I did not realize it was Avon.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Found this great fanart by Jamie McKelvie on Twitter today:

gobbles
Oct 15, 2005

Sick fuckin movie . . .

Coolest part was the super fat guy when Ma-Ma is announcing the lock down...I think that's a shout out to the eating contests. sick.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dude was gonna get punished by Dredd anyway because Dredd told him not to be there when they came back and he was, so whether Dredd took him in / killed him or what actually happened (giant blast door slamming down on him), he got what he had coming :v:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

marktheando posted:

Assuming theatres are willing to keep it around, I think it might be a slow burn. It's been getting really good reviews across the board and the word of mouth is pretty phenomenal (just look at this thread). Hopefully it's just people avoiding an unknown quantity so far and it'll have a long tail.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I saw this the other day and just thought it was decent, but I'd definitely see a sequel that had a higher budget. I really liked the costume design, and most of the action sequences were good, but I didn't really like the apartment mega-complex setting that the entire movie takes place in. I pretty much went into it blind and had no idea what the plot of the movie was outside of the vague knowledge of how the Judges work. Also I thought they oddly shied away from showing/lingering on the gore for an R rated movie. Maybe they're saving stuff for the unrated Blu-ray release. The movie has come up in my mind several times since leaving the theater though, so maybe I enjoyed it more than I think I do. 21 Jump Street had a similar effect where I enjoyed the movie, but thinking about it more afterwards just increased how much I appreciated it.

There was only about eight other people at the 4:45 showing I went to, but I saw it in 2D, maybe the 3D theaters were a lot more crowded.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 22, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

Assuming theatres are willing to keep it around, I think it might be a slow burn. It's been getting really good reviews across the board and the word of mouth is pretty phenomenal (just look at this thread). Hopefully it's just people avoiding an unknown quantity so far and it'll have a long tail.

Also the 95 movie. Also were I saw it there was one showing at 2:10 in 2d and 7 in 3d

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Just got back from seeing this and I loved it. I'm not usually one for 3d films, because they always look blurry because of my weird eyes rather than because of any artistic objections, but the 3d in this was great, no discomfort at all.

To me a lot of the slo-mo scenes seemed to be framed in the same way a comic panel would be. I've never read any Dredd but scenes like the first shoot out in the drug den with lots of close up bullet wounds reminded me a lot of "edgy" comics from the 90s. Was it my imagination or did blood actually leave the frame during that part?

The cinema was basically empty, which is a bad sign for its second weekend. How much did they say they needed for a sequel?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Just got back from seeing this and I loved it. I'm not usually one for 3d films, because they always look blurry because of my weird eyes rather than because of any artistic objections, but the 3d in this was great, no discomfort at all.

To me a lot of the slo-mo scenes seemed to be framed in the same way a comic panel would be. I've never read any Dredd but scenes like the first shoot out in the drug den with lots of close up bullet wounds reminded me a lot of "edgy" comics from the 90s. Was it my imagination or did blood actually leave the frame during that part?

The cinema was basically empty, which is a bad sign for its second weekend. How much did they say they needed for a sequel?

My one problem with buying this is that it will not be in 3d and this movie was the best 3d movie I have ever seen. But I am still buying it since I love Dredd. I mean I buy trades from England just to read more.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Also I thought they oddly shied away from showing/lingering on the gore for an R rated movie. Maybe they're saving stuff for the unrated Blu-ray release.

What? It's one of the goriest movies I've seen in years.

Fatkraken posted:

Let's hope so, but a movie coming back from a bad opening is incredibly rare, isn't it? Best chance of a sequel now is hoping that it gets a following on DVD/Blu Ray.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I didn't really like the apartment mega-complex setting that the entire movie takes place in.

Why not, if you don't mind me asking? To me it seemed like the perfect representation of some kind of post-apocalyptic slum. A self-contained community, housing tons of residents as well as being a commercial hub and a medical complex and probably other stuff too.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Also I thought they oddly shied away from showing/lingering on the gore for an R rated movie. Maybe they're saving stuff for the unrated Blu-ray release.

At the end, when Dredd threw Ma-Ma from the 200th floor and she plummeted to her death, and her face was shown splattering on the ground and blood was all over the screen, you didn't think that was gory? :raise:

Or during one of the shootouts when Dredd shoots one of the gang member kids through his right cheek and the bullet travels through his left cheek and back out again and blood flies everywhere, all in slow motion?

Or when Dredd first arrives at the Peach Trees building and he checks out the 3 guys that were thrown off the top floor at the beginning, and the cop guy pulls away the veil over one guy's head to reveal his brains leaking out of his head in pretty graphic fashion?

There were lots of deliciously gory scenes in this. I can't believe people thought this was restrained. What more did you want?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 22, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bobkatt013 posted:

My one problem with buying this is that it will not be in 3d and this movie was the best 3d movie I have ever seen. But I am still buying it since I love Dredd. I mean I buy trades from England just to read more.

Are you serious :stare:

The 3D added nothing to my viewing of the movie. Were we watching different 3D releases or something?

I don't think I would have missed anything seeing it in 2D.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Are you serious :stare:

The 3D added nothing to my viewing of the movie. Were we watching different 3D releases or something?

I don't think I would have missed anything seeing it in 2D.

To be fair the only 3d movie I have seen other then this is Captain America. Also the 3d made the slow mo scenes really cool.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bobkatt013 posted:

To be fair the only 3d movie I have seen other then this is Captain America. Also the 3d made the slow mo scenes really cool.

Ahh. Well yeah, I've seen a bunch of 3D movies and the 3D in Dredd didn't even seem to add any depth like a lot of 3D movies that don't go all out with the 3D effects do.

The slomo scenes looked beautiful, yeah, but what did the 3D have to do with that? It's not like anything was coming out of the screen or given any extra depth during those scenes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bobkatt013 posted:

That explains it, then. Captain America was also not shot in 3d and was converted from regular 2d after the fact, which made the 3d effect pretty lame compared to "real" 3d where a special 3d camera is used to film the movie and adds a lot more depth, which is what most people recognize as "good" 3d. This movie was intended to be shot in 3d, but technical issues mean that a lot of the scenes were shot in 2d and converted afterwards.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 22, 2012

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Yes, but they cheated by letterboxing for that one shot, the blood doesn't really leave the frame, it just goes onto the black border.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

$50 million in the US.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ahh. Well yeah, I've seen a bunch of 3D movies and the 3D in Dredd didn't even seem to add any depth like a lot of 3D movies that don't go all out with the 3D effects do.

The slomo scenes looked beautiful, yeah, but what did the 3D have to do with that? It's not like anything was coming out of the screen or given any extra depth during those scenes.

Like her playing with the water and a couple of other scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bobkatt013 posted:

Like her playing with the water and a couple of other scenes.

Unless I'm remembering those scenes incorrectly, all that could have been done the same way in 2D and 3D didn't accentuate it any.

I'm planning to see it again in 2D before it leaves theaters, so I guess I'll see then whether those scenes look drastically different without the 3D or if they're exactly the same just brighter (because RealD seems to make everything a bit dimmer, no matter what you're watching).

• Locked thread