Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

That looks loving awesome. Day one buy for me. I pumped so many hours into stardust HD on the PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So I am having trouble telling exactly what is going on in that game. Is it geometry wars inside a colon? Also, is the weird squeaky noise coming from that game or another nearby booth?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

So I am having trouble telling exactly what is going on in that game. Is it geometry wars inside a colon? Also, is the weird squeaky noise coming from that game or another nearby booth?
Looks like Super Stardust in a colon (or something else small, "nano" and all), either way a twin stick shooter. Squeaky noise sounded like someone whistling nearby if that's the video I saw earlier, you can hear the game more when they switch no the gamepad screen and get closer.

vvvvv They showed a little of the behind he ship stuff in the reveal trailer.

japtor fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 23, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, it's a Super Stardust-ish twin-stick shooter where you fly around those planetoid cell things. The 3DS game also has behind-the-ship Star Fox-ish bits and some traditional side-scrolling stuff, too, but I don't know how much of that stuff is in Neo (and I can't remember if they show any of it in the video).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have no point of reference for super Stardust. I assume that is a game where you play as Septimus trying to become the last of his father's sons on Super Nintendo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Agrias120 posted:

The utilization of the gamepad for the inventory felt forced to me and the way the camera on screen zooms in on your character prevented you from easily keeping track of your surroundings.

Kind of like how looking in a bag would in real life???

raito
Sep 13, 2012
Has there been any word as to whether to Wii U Pro controller can work in Wii mode as a replacement for the CC/CCPro? I don't have a Classic Controller, but have been considering it for certain games. They're basically the same thing, aren't they? But then again it's Nintendo so probably not.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It depends both on how the Pro Controller works and also how the console's "Wii Mode" works.

If the Pro Controller sends a signal indistinguishable from a Classic Controller attached to a Wiimote, then maybe, but that probably isn't the case.

If "Wii Mode" is more robust than the Wii's Gamecube mode and actually includes some options/settings, accessory functionality, and access to the Wii-U OS, then maybe, but that probably also isn't the case.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Kind of like how looking in a bag would in real life???

This is pretty dumb, it has nothing to do with realistic and more with limiting your vision to build tension while you look through your inventory.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

It depends both on how the Pro Controller works and also how the console's "Wii Mode" works.

If the Pro Controller sends a signal indistinguishable from a Classic Controller attached to a Wiimote, then maybe, but that probably isn't the case.

If "Wii Mode" is more robust than the Wii's Gamecube mode and actually includes some options/settings, accessory functionality, and access to the Wii-U OS, then maybe, but that probably also isn't the case.

Man if I have to play Super Smash Bros Brawl with a Wii controller wii support might as well not be in there

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Liku posted:

This is pretty dumb, it has nothing to do with realistic and more with limiting your vision to build tension while you look through your inventory.

God knows I have absolute spatial awareness of the entire universe when I'm urgently sifting through a bag. IMMERSION RUINED NINTENDO.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Liku posted:

And its also realistic.

It build tension and is realistic Its win win.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

They should make you hold up a Wiimote for the flashlight while playing too.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MonsterEnvy posted:

And its also realistic.

That's really going to boil down to how the other gameplay elements act. Steel Battalion did the same thing with trying to simulate war in all versions of the franchise. They simulated war perfectly, even to the point where the game was punishing and not even fun. But you really felt like you were in a walking tank being supported by your copilot and gunner the entire time, but that wore off after your 100th death before you could even get to the 3rd level.

While in the mech your viewspace so you could see enemies and target things was a little window so you could see outside. This window would also break and crack obstructing your vision as you took heavy fire. Realistic yes, but it's like gun jamming in FPS it's realism to the point where it became a hinderance.

Atleast the Kinect version didn't require a monster sized controller though, but the motion controls didn't always work.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 23, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Steel Battalion's controller was integral to the experience. Who the hell at Capcom thought they should go from 48 buttons to 0? At least when I die in the original or in Line of Contact, I know it was my fault and not the game interpreting Reload as Raise Blast Shield.

edit: Wait the 360 controller was still a part of Heavy Armor, so like 48 to 16 or something with a hell of a lot of bad motion control.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 23, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Policenaut posted:

Steel Battalion's controller was integral to the experience. Who the hell at Capcom thought they should go from 48 buttons to 0? At least when I die in the original or in Line of Contact, I know it was my fault and not the game interpreting Reload as Raise Blast Shield.

You havn't played the second one. While it built upon the realism of the first it took it to such extreme levels that the only way to beat the game was pretty much a flawless playthrough(with kinect control issues that made it near impossible). It's realism hurt the other game mechanics so much that it crippled what could have been a rather fun game. I died more in SB that the hardest level in Dark Souls or Demon Souls.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 23, 2012

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

kater posted:

They should make you hold up a Wiimote for the flashlight while playing too.
I wonder what will be the first game will be ruined by forcing people to hold the gamepad up for extended periods of time and tiring out our arms. Reminds me when I got my Wii, eventually I discovered the most comfortable way to hold the controllers were to lay my hands in my lap instead of flinging them around. I just wonder how Kinect owners are able to do it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MonsterEnvy posted:

And its also realistic.

Do you shove your face into your bag or not have any peripheral vision?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The problem with too much realism, especially realistic shooters, is that it ruins the feeling that I'm playing a game or having fun and, instead, presents me with what would actually happen in a combat situation: I would be killed and not know what the gently caress just happened.

Some people really love this but I find it frustrating. I hope zombiu has a proper balance of convenience and fun vs. what is "realistic."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Liku posted:

You still do have vison you know. But your mainly focused on the bag. Lets not forgot unlike a wargame this is survial horror.

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
I just got the itch to start giving a poo poo about purchasing a Wii-U. Since preorders seem to be out, am I going to have to wait in line at midnight at this point?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Has Nintendo said whether VC titles will be playable through the gamepad's screen? Having the "real" versions of LttP and Final Fantasy 3/6 as portables would be a dream come true.

2012 posted:

I just got the itch to start giving a poo poo about purchasing a Wii-U. Since preorders seem to be out, am I going to have to wait in line at midnight at this point?

Good luck. It's not impossible to get one by any means, but after waiting out in the cold and rain for both the 360 and Wii, I'm never doing it again.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

MonsterEnvy posted:

And its also realistic.

It's really not because, at least the build I played, the spatial clues aside from vision were absolute poo poo. The environmental sound wasn't very good so you couldn't use it as a reliable clue for gauging how far away something was and the way the camera panned it eliminated any peripheral vision you would have actually had in the situation. Not to mention in real life taking a quick glance to your left or right while looking in your bag would be much more streamlined instead of the longer animation in game. Again, all of this stuff might have been fixed and not represented in the build I played, but it just seemed like a clunky implementation of "difficulty via realism!!" and it was meant to emulate the Souls games I didn't get that impression at all.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Agrias120 posted:

...The environmental sound wasn't very good so you couldn't use it as a reliable clue for gauging how far away something was...
You were playing it at a public event full of dozens of people, weren't you? It probably works better without all the ambient noise.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Liku posted:

The way my living room is set up, the TV will be in my peripheral vision. I imagine it would be the same for most players, barring some really weird, impractical furniture arrangement. I thought that was the point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chaltab posted:

You were playing it at a public event full of dozens of people, weren't you? It probably works better without all the ambient noise.

Whenever I'm at these, all the major publishers (Ubisoft included, hell even Konami can afford it) have headsets on every kiosk so it's a non-issue.

raito
Sep 13, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man if I have to play Super Smash Bros Brawl with a Wii controller wii support might as well not be in there

Ugh, now I'm reminded that GCN controller compatibility isn't there. Guess that's a reason to keep my Wii.

Not sure if I even want GCN games on the eShop without that controller. Some of those games were built for that controller alone (more likely with how Nintendo works, controller was designed for games). Hopefully they come out with a port or maybe a brand new Wavebird you can use with the Wii U. I can't imagine playing Super Mario Sunshine without that - Pro controller can't work because of stupid digital triggers.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The most mindboggling thing about the existence of the Wii was not re-manufacturing the Wavebird for the Wii and selling it. They would have easily made a profit, especially in the mid 2000s.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The most mindboggling thing about the existence of the Wii was not re-manufacturing the Wavebird for the Wii and selling it. They would have easily made a profit, especially in the mid 2000s.

They did this, I thought? Or a third party did, at least.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rake Arms posted:

The way my living room is set up, the TV will be in my peripheral vision. I imagine it would be the same for most players, barring some really weird, impractical furniture arrangement. I thought that was the point.

I'm talking about real life, you know, how looking into a bag you become wrought with tunnel vision.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They did this, I thought? Or a third party did, at least.

Yes, and all 3rd party GC/Wii controllers are utter poo poo. The Wavebird itself had a delay but at least it was well made controller.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

raito posted:

Ugh, now I'm reminded that GCN controller compatibility isn't there. Guess that's a reason to keep my Wii.

Not sure if I even want GCN games on the eShop without that controller. Some of those games were built for that controller alone (more likely with how Nintendo works, controller was designed for games). Hopefully they come out with a port or maybe a brand new Wavebird you can use with the Wii U. I can't imagine playing Super Mario Sunshine without that - Pro controller can't work because of stupid digital triggers.
It's really weird that Nintendo pioneer of analogue controls as they were, seems to have abandoned analogue for anything but sticks after the Gamecube.

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
Sums up Nintendo for me (the Graucho Marx part):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxlfvI17oY

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Chaltab posted:

I was playing it at a public event full of dozens of people. Except ZombiU was being shown off in a private room with three other people in it (the Nintendo handler and two people waiting in line to play) with no ambient noise to speak of.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

2012 posted:

Sums up Nintendo for me (the Graucho Marx part):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxlfvI17oY

I would never want to be part of a club that'd have me as a member.

What're you trying to say here?

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Yaos posted:

I wonder what will be the first game will be ruined by forcing people to hold the gamepad up for extended periods of time and tiring out our arms. Reminds me when I got my Wii, eventually I discovered the most comfortable way to hold the controllers were to lay my hands in my lap instead of flinging them around. I just wonder how Kinect owners are able to do it.

Sure, a game could be "ruined", for a specific individual, by requiring too much physical exertion. That's possible, and would apply for some gamers and not others. Those others might find more enjoyment in such an experience than would otherwise be possible with a 'traditional' controller-based game.

The Wiimote(+Nunchuck) is one of my very favorite controllers specifically because it is so drat comfortable. That's not just because it is split, but that plays a large part. Laying around playing Monster Hunter or Sin & Punishment or Xenoblade is just freakin comfortable, screw the hell out of a classic controller as far as I'm concerned. But games that use it in a more, how do you say, 'athletic' manner, have their place as well, though they may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Flinging Ninja throwing stars off the touch screen, or digging through a virtual bag, or panning a Gamepad around as a scanner may take a bit of effort, but I look forward to those types of games as their own thing. And there looks to be plenty of more traditional experiences to go right along with these kinds of games, so I think the future is shaping up pretty good for me, myself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

The Wiimote(+Nunchuck) is one of my very favorite controllers specifically because it is so drat comfortable. That's not just because it is split, but that plays a large part. Laying around playing Monster Hunter

Why anyone would want to make Monster Hunter harder is a mystery to me.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liku posted:

Why anyone would want to make Monster Hunter harder is a mystery to me.

I beat alatreon with the wii mote + nunchuck. Super comfortable, felt great.

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

Sure, a game could be "ruined", for a specific individual, by requiring too much physical exertion. That's possible, and would apply for some gamers and not others. Those others might find more enjoyment in such an experience than would otherwise be possible with a 'traditional' controller-based game.

The Wiimote(+Nunchuck) is one of my very favorite controllers specifically because it is so drat comfortable. That's not just because it is split, but that plays a large part. Laying around playing Monster Hunter or Sin & Punishment or Xenoblade is just freakin comfortable, screw the hell out of a classic controller as far as I'm concerned. But games that use it in a more, how do you say, 'athletic' manner, have their place as well, though they may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Pretty sure Yaos was talking less about athleticism and more about it being uncomfortable for the human body. You put strain on your arms by carrying weight away from your chest for extended periods of time (which shouldn't be too much of a problem with the relatively light GamePad, but the inherent mechanics still stand). That's why you like to 'lay around' while playing games on your Wii.

e: vvvv exactly. there is a difference between active movement like in skyward sword and simply holding your arms out.

Aeros Wilhelm fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 24, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

If I can make it through Skyward Sword I doubt anything on the Wii U will stop me.

I just hope the charging cable is long enough that I can play with the Gamepad plugged in, incase of long sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

I would never want to be part of a club that'd have me as a member.

What're you trying to say here?

Response to this post:
"It's really weird that Nintendo, pioneer of analogue controls as they were, seems to have abandoned analogue for anything but sticks after the Gamecube."

They pioneer it, everyone else accepts it, then they abandon it because, well, gently caress conformity.

• Locked thread