Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Anyone know any good PG-13 scary movies, other than ones who were R at the time of release but over time got their rating lowered and such? I can't remember any of the horror movies I like being as low as PG-13. I fully believe it is possible to still be scary with a low rating like this, I just want a movie that proves it!

(Plus, if it's spooky/unnerving but not gory or with lots of sex maybe I can get my little sister to finally watch a scary movie with me :3:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Suzuki Method posted:

Anyone know any good PG-13 scary movies, other than ones who were R at the time of release but over time got their rating lowered and such? I can't remember any of the horror movies I like being as low as PG-13. I fully believe it is possible to still be scary with a low rating like this, I just want a movie that proves it!

(Plus, if it's spooky/unnerving but not gory or with lots of sex maybe I can get my little sister to finally watch a scary movie with me :3:)

Insidious gets an article in SA's 2011 film retrospective spectacular.
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/best-movies-2011.php

ANd of course there's also Sam Raimi's Drag Me To Hell.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Overexposure probably hurt it a lot, but The Ring is PG-13 and works really well, more than pretty much anything else in the genre.

Ghost stories in general tend to be bloodless, really. If they're rated R it's almost always for other things, like nudity or language.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
The Others is a decent non-gory PG-13 movie, that I guess could be considered horror?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Blair Witch isn't a bad choice to begin with. There's nothing gory about it, except the scene with the tongue and teeth in the satchel.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Suzuki Method posted:

If you're looking for straight up recent rated PG-13 films then The Last Exorcism, Insidious, Drag Me To Hell and Cloverfield are all great films. The Last Exorcism pushes things as far as it can with it's rating and I'd put say it's as scary as any R+ rated film.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Everyone's suggestions are really good and I'd second all of them. I haven't seen it in a couple of years so I might be missing some details, but El Orfanato is R but I can't recall anything that would make it R rather than PG-13 other than maybe language. Honestly I can think of a bunch of R movies that could probably be shown to a mature 13 year old than I could actual PG-13 movies, but my suggestion for good pg-13 horror will forever be The Ring.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Glamorama26 posted:

Also, Land isn't that bad if you're to remember that Survival is still something that exists and is way worse.

This is the truest thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can't remember who but someone said if you replaced Simon Baker with Treat Williams, Land of the Dead is one of the greatest HBO Saturday Night Movies ever.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

If you're looking for straight up recent rated PG-13 films then The Last Exorcism, Insidious, Drag Me To Hell and Cloverfield are all great films. The Last Exorcism pushes things as far as it can with it's rating and I'd put say it's as scary as any R+ rated film.

Insidious is awful. It does a decent job of building atmosphere until they actually show the demon and then the dumbass psychic poo poo starts up and it's all downhill from there. 60 minutes in, I couldn't wait for it to end, and then it had a terrible ending to wrap it all up into a neat little package of horseshit.

Cloverfield is an action movie, and would've been more enjoyable if not for the thoroughly unlikable, dumb-as-rocks protagonists who I ended up wanting to see get killed.

The Last Exorcism and Drag Me To Hell are both good, though.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The first half of Insidious is amazing. It's creepy, it's atmospheric, it gets you looking over your shoulder and freaking out. Then the second half kicks in and everything goes down hill.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Insidious owns from start to finish. It's the movie Cabin in the Woods wants to be.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Insidious does own, but I'm pretty sure Cabin in the Woods is the movie Cabin in the Woods wants to be (but so is V/H/S).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can't believe I have to wait like 2 more weeks to see that loving movie in a movie theatre.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Volume posted:

The first half of Insidious is amazing. It's creepy, it's atmospheric, it gets you looking over your shoulder and freaking out. Then the second half kicks in and everything goes down hill.

The second half is just loving dumb; I completely forgot what I was watching by the end of it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Me too, dude, me too. I'm really curious as to how the Skype segment is gonna look on the big screen, I feel like it'll be either awesome or horrible.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Insidious owns from start to finish. It's the movie Cabin in the Woods wants to be.

I don't understand how these movies are at all similar in intent? Insidious is seriously the weirdest comparison you could make to Cabin.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Me too, dude, me too. I'm really curious as to how the Skype segment is gonna look on the big screen, I feel like it'll be either awesome or horrible.

It'll be awesome, but only at the end of it. :fap:

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I'm pretty sure Cabin in the Woods is the movie Cabin in the Woods wants to be (but so is V/H/S).

Would you mind unpacking this a little? I've seen a lot of people make a CitW-V/H/S comparison and, having seen both films, I honestly don't quite get it. I think I see hints, especially regarding what V/H/S does with the gaze, but I have a pretty hard time extracting any coherent message from it.

\/\/ Facetious or not, I like "the place where horror movies come from" point. I hadn't considered that.

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 22, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Both start off as standard horror films then gradually start throwing every trick in the book at you. Both culminate in a journey to the place where horror movies come from. I'm only being a little facetious here.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Insidious is enjoyable if you accept it as a horror-fantasy in the vein of Dream Warriors as opposed to a haunted house/possessed kid/whatever-you-took-away-from-the-trailers film.

I'm still not a fan of the very ending.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions! I think I will ask my sister to watch The Ring with me first since it's pretty much a staple of the newer ghost films and I personally enjoyed it at her age. After that, I think I'll go for Insidious (which I myself have not seen yet). I really liked Cabin In the Woods after I read about it on the forums here but I won't let her watch that, but if Insidious is anything like it it's cool with me. I've only heard bad things about Drag Me To Hell from others (never seen it)-- Can I get some more insight on that one?

My sister is a tomboy and acts all tough and plays her xbox games and whatever but she won't watch a scary movie with me, it's hilarious. What a baby. :3:

E: Is it just me who thinks that people who don't generally watch horror films will not really like Cabin in the Woods all that much? I loved it, but that's because I love how it kind of became a commentary on the genre.

Suzuki Method fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 22, 2012

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Volume posted:

The one thing I'll give it props for was the twist. The dark tortured soul that the whole town hates for no good reason actually turns out to be the bad guy instead of having the pretty white girl save him.
You're an rear end in a top hat for spoiling this. It's the only reason to watch the movie, and it does make it worth watching. Despite its host of other flaws, HATES has a terrific plot.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Suzuki Method posted:

My sister is a tomboy and acts all tough and plays her xbox games and whatever but she won't watch a scary movie with me, it's hilarious. What a baby. :3:

The Hole (2009) - it's flat out for this exact type of thing & it's directed by Joe Dante! Then you could move on to 80's kid classics starting with Dante's Gremlins, The Gate (really cool brother/sister protagonists here, too), Monster Squad (introducing the Universal monsters in the coolest way possible) and then finally scare the poo poo out of her with IT.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Suzuki Method posted:

I've only heard bad things about Drag Me To Hell from others (never seen it)-- Can I get some more insight on that one?

Drag Me to Hell is hilarious, and awesome. If you dug Cabin in the Woods, you should enjoy this one. It's very much a Sam Raimi movie, made in the Sam Raimi style - so a lot of hard fast zoom-ins, whip pans, cartoonish melodrama, etc. Heck, even the violence is cartoonish, since there comes a bit where a ghoul gets flattened by an anvil - an anvil! - and there's a long, protracted battle between a young woman and an old crone where the pretty heroine nearly gets gummed to death. It feels like a 90-minute episode of "Tales from the Crypt", and I mean that as a sincere compliment.

And yet, simmering under all of that, is both a strange, mordant sense of mortality, as if Sam Raimi is now much more conscious of his age and is exploring all of that in big gushes of formaldehyde upchuck and body-/self-image issues. (It's not for nothing in this film that the heroine is ashamed of her past as a fat girl - even a former "Miss Something or Other" from one of those rural farm pageants - and that we're introduced to her giving herself elocution lessons in the car, trying to lose her accent.) Tie that to a fairly timely anger against the banking industry, tied to the main subplot as the heroine going against her better instincts to get a jr. manager position, and there's a bit more going on in that film than people will give it credit for.

I think you should jump to watching this one over any of the others - Insidious starts off well enough before devolving into stupid, pointless, unscary bullshit by the end, and it's really not like Cabin in terms of tone, message or execution at all. And I've never been a fan of The Ring movies, myself.

Just curious, but why wouldn't you let your sister see Cabin?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you want to introduce your sister to the horror genre as a whole, make her watch Cabin In The Woods and Drag Me To Hell first :v:

Most horror movies will probably pale in comparison to her after seeing those.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ti West was answering fan questions at io9 several hours ago. It's over now, unfortunately (I just woke up and found out about this).

http://io9.com/5945384/your-chance-to-ask-vhs-and-innkeepers-director-ti-west-anything-you-want-about-horror-cinema

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Class3KillStorm posted:

Drag Me to Hell :words:

Okay, you've totally sold me on this movie. :woop: Definitely gonna watch this. I'm gonna trust you.

Class3KillStorm posted:

Just curious, but why wouldn't you let your sister see Cabin?

Way too much sexual stuff. She's not as pervy of a kid as I was at her age and I don't wanna make her uncomfortable.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you want to introduce your sister to the horror genre as a whole, make her watch Cabin In The Woods and Drag Me To Hell first :v:

Most horror movies will probably pale in comparison to her after seeing those.

Cabin in the Woods would probably be pretty terrible if you didn't have a working knowledge of horror movie tropes and structure.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

BisonDollah posted:

The Hole (2009) - it's flat out for this exact type of thing & it's directed by Joe Dante! Then you could move on to 80's kid classics starting with Dante's Gremlins, The Gate (really cool brother/sister protagonists here, too), Monster Squad (introducing the Universal monsters in the coolest way possible) and then finally scare the poo poo out of her with IT.

I have never seen or heard of The Hole, I'm gonna watch this tonight. If I like it I'll make her watch it!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Cabin in the Woods would probably be pretty terrible if you didn't have a working knowledge of horror movie tropes and structure.

I completely agree. I don't think I'd ever show anyone Cabin as an introduction to the genre. That's something for later.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Cabin in the Woods is fun because the "subtext" is so utterly surface-level that it develops subtext of its own. The movie's at least as much about generational conflict as it is about other horror movies.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 23, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A few of my Facebook friends (people I know, not actual friends) watched Cabin in the Woods recently and they didn't like it because they thought it was supposed to be a serious horror movie and were disappointed when it wasn't :negative:

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
On the Non-R Rated chat, I'll throw in Gremlins, Poltergeist and Tremors. They're all fun enough movies that got some bite to them. Gremlins in particular scared the hell out of 7 year old me and I appreciate it for doing so. Although, now that I think of it, Tremors might be the "funnest" of that lot.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cabin in the Woods is amazing. I'm so glad I bought it on DVD. It's one of the few movies that needs to be watched multiple times, just to catch everything.

For example, I needed to re-watch the ending because I had heard that the ending was a Carrie reference. I didn't catch it the first time, and re-watching it, it makes so much sense. All of the references made me love the movie more than I already did, which was saying a lot.

WhatAliceFoundThere
Jul 18, 2007
Dressed like a victorian at a swimming pool

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

A few of my Facebook friends (people I know, not actual friends) watched Cabin in the Woods recently and they didn't like it because they thought it was supposed to be a serious horror movie and were disappointed when it wasn't :negative:

I watched Cabin in the Woods with a pretty big chunk of the people I work with, most of them hated it because they took it literally. One girl hated the fact that a character was referred to as "the slut" and took great offense to her being killed in a horrible way and everyone acting like it was normal.

A lot of people assumed I liked it more than them because I got more of the specific horror references in the elevator and ending monster attack scenes, when it actually seems to be that I took on board its commentary more than others.

Also a couple of people hated it because it had way too much gore, which amazed me because it's so cartoony in its execution compared to most modern horror films, which they claim to love.

To this day I'm seen as weird for saying CitW is one of my favorite films of the year.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Suzuki Method posted:

Okay, you've totally sold me on this movie. :woop: Definitely gonna watch this. I'm gonna trust you.

I don't think I have ever had more fun in a cinema than when I watched Drag Me to Hell. I can't remember many movies that made me cry tears from laughing but this one did several times. Even the jump scares are hilarious, and there are a lot of them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Drag Me to Hell was admittedly a better view in theaters. The audio is picture perfect if you're in a theater.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sweeney Tom posted:

Drag Me to Hell was admittedly a better view in theaters. The audio is picture perfect if you're in a theater.

Blu-ray is a good alternative, especially if you have a good sound system. Blu-ray.com says both the picture and audio is fantastic.

Just a fool
Oct 14, 2004
Well they call me the hunter, baby that's my name, they call me the hunter, that's how I got my fame.
My wife and I and one of our couple friends all have seen Cabin in the Woods AND Drag Me to Hell. My wife and I both love Drag Me to Hell. Our friends hated it. They were completely put off by the "grossness" of it, but it is so exaggerated that it makes it funny, and it is so classic Sam Raimi. But we all really enjoyed CITW. My wife is not a huge horror fan, she likes non-gory fare, but she walked out of CITW with a big smile on her face. It's such a fun movie. Well, both of them are!

Also from the past few years : Trick 'R Treat. I love the atmosphere of it. It literally feels like Halloween night to me, and that is one of my favorite feelings ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

The Rover posted:

Also from the past few years : Trick 'R Treat. I love the atmosphere of it. It literally feels like Halloween night to me, and that is one of my favorite feelings ever.

I love Trick 'r Treat. I really can't picture it as something you'd watch in a movie theater, it feels like something you'd watch on Halloween night while you eat most of the big bowl of candy that was supposed to be for the trick or treaters. The atmosphere is incredible.