Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai Hulud
Feb 23, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

I'm from Virginia so not really sure on the atmosphere end. Founders though.

Whoops. I just assumed, with the number of Michigan beers on your list.

Sirotan posted:

So much wrong in this post that this is my third time re-writing my response to it.

Jolly Pumpkin beers are incredible and food at the Ann Aarbor brewpub is, imho, the best food you can get in town for the price.

This is why America is great. We can agree to disagree about beer. I love their food, though, too. Not sure why that means there's anything "wrong" with my post.

Sirotan posted:

Does Grand Rapids even have a hipster crowd big enough for Founders? Wouldn't they all go to Stella's instead? Founders puts on awesome events, has awesome beer, is awesome. I actually dreamt last night that I moved back to Grand Rapids. Move to somewhere else in Michigan and then you will weep once you realize how good you have it.

When was the last time you were at Founders, and do we just have different opinions of what makes a hipster? The skinny jean quota gets filled pretty early at Founders on any given night. Perhaps it's just that those types stand out more in GR than they do over on the east side. I live in Ann Arbor, but my wife's family is in GR so I get regular exposure. Nothing against the city at all. It's made huge strides and in a lot of ways is ahead of the rest of the state (ArtPrize is a good example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oh maybe I mixed you up with the other guy who said he was in GR and just getting into beer. And I was just trying to poke fun. I'm actually from Grand Rapids originally and now live in Ann Arbor. Of course there wasn't much of a beer scene there until after I moved away. Grand Rapids just doesn't have a huge demographic of young people though I think it has gotten a lot better in recent years. Last time I was at Founder's Fest I saw a couple not-white people too!

I think GR has the better beer bars but Ann Arbor seems to get much better distribution of beer, especially Founders releases. Jolly Pumpkin will probably be the only thing I miss when I move away.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Yeah, but Portland ain't Bend, and Southern Tier doesn't have it here :cry: I like Pumking a lot, but not quite enough to merit a multi-hour trip just for that. (Going to Portland in a couple weeks, though, in order to fly to Denver for GABF.)

I don't think I've had that one from HUB yet, but I will give that one priority over all the other massive amounts of IPAs available here on tap everywhere. (It should be said that Boneyard makes a hell of a DIPA with their Hop Venom.)

Ah, right. I forgot that you were in Bend, not Portland. You were talking about HUB, so I thought you went to the brewpub.

Boneyard's Hop Venom is indeed one hell of a good DIPA. I wish they would expand already so they would start making more beer.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Midorka posted:

At what point are you not able to fully enjoy those beers? Your palate is going to reach a saturation point somewhere there. I don't even bother drinking more of one of the same style in one night because of this. After the first IPA of the night no matter how many crackers or water I eat/drink my tongue is already "shocked" by the initial hop bitterness that even hoppier beers after seem tame.

We had lots of crackers, cheese, celery, brownies, water, etc to wash out after different styles so my taste buds were still pretty on point toward the end.

Smokin
Aug 24, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Oh maybe I mixed you up with the other guy who said he was in GR and just getting into beer. And I was just trying to poke fun.

That would probably be me.

I've gone to Founders every Monday night for the past month or so. I'm usually too busy with friends to be bothered too much by the loud vneck skinny jeans crowd.

Edit: I tried Founders Devil Dancer over a burger at Twisted Rooster a few days ago. Wasn't sure what to expect. Not sure if I really liked it or not but it was definitely different than anything I've had so far.

Smokin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 21, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Smokin posted:

That would probably be me.

I've gone to Founders every Monday night for the past month or so. I'm usually too busy with friends to be bothered too much by the loud vneck skinny jeans crowd.

I guess I've just never noticed them there much. People with beards? Sure. The last time I visited a large family with ages ranging from teens to seniors asked if my friend and I could push our table together with theirs so they had enough room for everyone. They then spent the whole night buying us beer and food and even put my growler fill on their tab. It was a weekly family tradition for them to meet at Founders on a Friday night. :3:

Smokin
Aug 24, 2011

Sirotan posted:

I guess I've just never noticed them there much. People with beards? Sure. The last time I visited a large family with ages ranging from teens to seniors asked if my friend and I could push our table together with theirs so they had enough room for everyone. They then spent the whole night buying us beer and food and even put my growler fill on their tab. It was a weekly family tradition for them to meet at Founders on a Friday night. :3:

I've only been there 10:30pm or later so on Monday night's so that might be the reason.

Shai Hulud
Feb 23, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Oh maybe I mixed you up with the other guy who said he was in GR and just getting into beer. And I was just trying to poke fun.

No worries. Perhaps it's time for a Michigander beer subthread. Or just a Michigander beerfest. No better time than autumn. :cheers: :respek: :cheers:

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Saw that the Saucer had both the Vanilla Bean and Chipotle versions of Stone Smoked Porter last night, so a friend and I each got one to swap and compare. I expected to like the Vanilla better since I have a fair bit of a sweet tooth, and while it was indeed awesome in its own right the Chipotle blew me away. The flavor/heat started out really subtle at the back of the throat, but the more I drank the stronger the flavor got. I absolutely loved it, and am definitely going to seek out more chile-infused beers if they come around as this and Cocoa Mole are the only ones I've had so far.

Also got to try the New Belgium Peach Porch Lounger- I think this might be my favorite of the LoF series so far. Tasted exactly like biting into a sweet, juicy peach- although the waitress accidentally mixed up my pint with the one of the friend beside me who had ordered a pale ale, so there was lots of initial confusion as I tried to figure out why a saison had a harsh hoppy finish and where the peach flavor went, and my friend was bombarded with fruit flavor that he didn't expect :v: Also even though it's 9.4% they served it as a full pint instead of the 10/12oz I expected, and it was only $5. That in itself was loving fantastic.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Valencia posted:

Also got to try the New Belgium Peach Porch Lounger- I think this might be my favorite of the LoF series so far. Tasted exactly like biting into a sweet, juicy peach- although the waitress accidentally mixed up my pint with the one of the friend beside me who had ordered a pale ale, so there was lots of initial confusion as I tried to figure out why a saison had a harsh hoppy finish and where the peach flavor went, and my friend was bombarded with fruit flavor that he didn't expect :v: Also even though it's 9.4% they served it as a full pint instead of the 10/12oz I expected, and it was only $5. That in itself was loving fantastic.

I had the Peach Porch Lounger about a month ago and thought it was pretty bad. There were some nice brett and saison aromas and flavors, but the combination of the yeasty funk, molasses, and lemon peel overwhelmed the peaches for me, making the beer smell and taste indistinctly fruity rather than peachy. On top of that, the beer was too sweet from start to finish, had a thick, syrupy mouthfeel, and didn't hide its high alcohol very well. Overall, I think it's a big, confused mess of a beer and one of the least refreshing beers I've had in a while. I can't imagine drinking one on a porch on even a mildly warm day.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I had the Peach Porch Lounger about a month ago and thought it was pretty bad. There were some nice brett and saison aromas and flavors, but the combination of the yeasty funk, molasses, and lemon peel overwhelmed the peaches for me, making the beer smell and taste indistinctly fruity rather than peachy. On top of that, the beer was too sweet from start to finish, had a thick, syrupy mouthfeel, and didn't hide its high alcohol very well. Overall, I think it's a big, confused mess of a beer and one of the least refreshing beers I've had in a while. I can't imagine drinking one on a porch on even a mildly warm day.

That was exactly my feeling on it, too. I thought it was one of the worst LoF beers in a long time; wasn't thrilled with the Alpine collab "Super IPA", either.

Just put out more Le Terroir. I will give you all of my money.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Docjowles posted:

That was exactly my feeling on it, too. I thought it was one of the worst LoF beers in a long time; wasn't thrilled with the Alpine collab "Super IPA", either.

Yeah, the "Super" wasn't very good, IMO.

Fresh Hop Mirror Pond isn't being bottled this year. :smith:

Considering how fast it went from being awesome to just okay last year, maybe that was a good decision by Deschutes. Better to have it as fresh as possible.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Docjowles posted:

Super IPA tasted like fried onions to me. seen/heard a few people that disliked it out of the bottle say that it's great on draft, though.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Shai Hulud posted:

No worries. Perhaps it's time for a Michigander beer subthread. Or just a Michigander beerfest. No better time than autumn. :cheers: :respek: :cheers:

As a Michigander who loves and makes beer, I support this. It would give me a chance to never shut up about how much I love Kuehnhenn's.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

hellfaucet posted:

As a Michigander who loves and makes beer, I support this. It would give me a chance to never shut up about how much I love Kuehnhenn's.

I have hosted two tastings at my place so far and it was mostly goons from Michigan and surrounding states. I could be convinced to host another one soon.....

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Picked up some Pumpking to try out this weekend. Crazy how fast it was flying off the shelf.

Also picked up Flying Dog Raging Bitch. I've been meaning to pick this up, but every time I find it it's past the best buy date. Finally found one with a date of 016/13.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

That's unfortunate to hear :( I definitely got more peach out of it than it seems you did. I'll agree on the "syrupy" bit, although it wasn't quite heavy enough to me to be completely offputting. I barely noticed the high alcohol at all, though- the whole time I was drinking it I kept thinking "there's no way this is 9.4, where are they hiding the rest of it?" And I'd only had one pint prior to that so I don't think I was too drunk to notice :v:

I'll just chalk my enjoyment up to the aforementioned sweet tooth, seems I still have a weakness for sugar bombs after all.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sirotan posted:

I have hosted two tastings at my place so far and it was mostly goons from Michigan and surrounding states. I could be convinced to host another one soon.....

You should! Partly because I ended up missing the previous one haha.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

You should! Partly because I ended up missing the previous one haha.

So you'd come this time? :p

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sirotan posted:

So you'd come this time? :p

I'd sure try haha. Depends on when of course :P

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

There really is a completely ludicrous amount of Bourbon County in Chicago. Buying no more than one four-pack at a time, I've been able to score a case. Gonna have to stop though, my wallet is hurting pretty badly.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
So we finally got enough people together to drink our group bottle of this.

19.5% means its a lot stronger than last years Black Tuesday (18.3%) but for some reason it was a LOT lighter in color, during the pour it was clear enough you could see through the beer that was pouring.
Has a great rich chocolatey aroma with a little bit of burnt sugar and smoke, and lots and lots of alcohol. Unpleasant amounts of alcohol until it sits for 15+ minutes and then it fades a bit.
Taste isn't hit quite as hard as the aroma with alcohol, but theres no way around this kind of booze. Impressively smooth given the ABV, its only half as harsh as say DFH Olde School or Lost Abbey Older Viscosity.
Its definitely on the sweet side but its not cloying, it has a lot more complexity than Black Tuesday, dark chocolate, biscuit, a bit of vanilla, some roasty/malty character and a surprising lack of burnt sugar/creme brulee that I was expecting from the Black Tuesday.
Interesting and somewhat enjoyable, though its definitely too young and hot. We had a FW XV Anniv before it that was much smoother and more enjoyable overall.

I have a bottle of my own that I'm probably going to let age for a long time and save for a special occasion.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Sirotan posted:

After this weekend I should know my wife's work schedule for the next few months, so I'd be down with hosting the next one here at my house in Fort Wayne if people are willing to make the drive...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

When I said that Bend didn't have Pumking I was thankfully wrong. The Whole Foods had this little setup

:woop:

(actually cancel that :woop: because all of Elysian's pumpkin beers are awful)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Huge_Midget posted:

After this weekend I should know my wife's work schedule for the next few months, so I'd be down with hosting the next one here at my house in Fort Wayne if people are willing to make the drive...
Where was all this beer chicanery in the tri state when I was in college in Toledo.

Its been weeks at this point but I was visiting back home in Cleveland a few weeks ago and was a mistimed sampler away from trying Burton Baton at Buckeye Beer Engine. I don't even especially like DFH. I just really wanted to rub it in at the homebrew club back in Lousiana.

I ended up combining my vacation and instead of spending a weekend at the GABF, I am now spending a week in Santa Rosa before the GABF. As training and preperation, I am figuring. Gonna drink so much Russian River and Lagunitas.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Oops, just noticed I have a bottle of Enjoy By 9/21 in the back of the fridge. I wasn't shooting for irony - though I'm not even sure I'm in the mood to drink tonight..

Guess I'm going to enjoy it on 9/22 after all. WHOOPS!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Elysian's pumpkin beer is actually pretty good, whatever one they put in 6 packs with the owl on it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Huge_Midget posted:

I've been waiting to see you say that. Depending on the date I would definitely be interested. May still plan a tasting in A2 as well.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Jack Skeleton posted:

Oops, just noticed I have a bottle of Enjoy By 9/21 in the back of the fridge. I wasn't shooting for irony - though I'm not even sure I'm in the mood to drink tonight..

Guess I'm going to enjoy it on 9/22 after all. WHOOPS!

you know you're gonna turn into a gremlin, right?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anybody in NYC wanna grab a beer next week? I'll be there from the 27th into that following weekend. Otherwise please suggest good bars! Still working on where I am gonna stay and will post back to narrow the field. Unfortunately, won't have space to bring back bottles as I'm backpacking up there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Currently enjoying a beer(s) at Churchkey in DC . They have four different kinds of Cantillon here and I can't afford any of them. :(

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Currently enjoying a beer(s) at Churchkey in DC . They have four different kinds of Cantillon here and I can't afford any of them. :(

Come to Pizzeria Paradiso in Dupont right now, I'll buy you a beer. All of their taps are sour and I'm actually walking over there right now.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

air- posted:

Come to Pizzeria Paradiso in Dupont right now, I'll buy you a beer. All of their taps are sour and I'm actually walking over there right now.

Oh poo poo OK let me see if I can convince my friend.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

At Novare Res in Portland for the second time today and.... The same. First trip did allow me to have Black Albert and Tilquin Gueuze. The latter my oldest sister loved.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

At Novare Res in Portland for the second time today and.... The same. First trip did allow me to have Black Albert and Tilquin Gueuze. The latter my oldest sister loved.

I just met up with air- and had two servings of Cantillon Kriek as well as a bunch of other amazing sours. :woop:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Sirotan posted:

I just met up with air- and had two servings of Cantillon Kriek as well as a bunch of other amazing sours. :woop:

Let's talk beer: Gettin' alcoholics together since 2007

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

air- posted:

You must be drunk right now... kinda in the mood for a sour right now.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

You must be drunk right now... kinda in the mood for a sour right now.

Wandering H Street NE, need more beer..

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

One wonders how air-'s evening ended. Such drama!

Meanwhile I'm ending the evening with a very fine witbier from Midnught Sun up in AK, a place whichmI feel deserves a lot more attention. Thismis goooooood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007
As many of you know, Bells discontinued their batch series after 10,000. They've apparently decided instead to brew something special every, oh, thousand batches. Batch 11,000 aka 'this one goes to 11 ale' just came out and, terrible, terrible name aside it really kicks rear end. It's an 11% imperial red hopped out the wazoo, like a more tropical Hopslam with a delicious caramel note in the finish. Really, really good beer. Makes me excited to brew with galaxy hops.