Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Ah, thanks for that explanation. I got really excited about the tweet from chpwn stating that it's jailbroken, but that totally makes sense that creating a delivery method will take even more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If apple put brightness and wifi controls in the notification center would have zero desire to jailbreak now. :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TraderStav posted:

If apple put brightness and wifi controls in the notification center would have zero desire to jailbreak now. :(

I wouldn't mind if they made it an option (brightness setting) for the quick launch menu like on the iPad.

I still miss the SMS GV Extension on my phone. The phone I can bypass by storing the number Google assigns when I dial out through the app to the contact and give it a "Google" tag.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

TraderStav posted:

I'd like the option to drop whatever I like out to there, kind of bare with just the weather and the 'tap to Tweet' box. I'd also like that to be the lock screen.

I'm only about twenty pages into the .pdf manual if there is a way and I haven't seen it yet.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Bite SMS is pretty much my sole reason. I do miss having SBSettings for sure.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Tethering :(

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

MickRaider posted:

Bite SMS is pretty much my sole reason. I do miss having SBSettings for sure.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Little stuff like Cyntac is actually really nice as well. Stuff you don't really notice until it's gone and then it sticks out like a sore thumb.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I may upgrade to 6.0 on my iPad since my jailbreaks over there are more small tweaks like f.lux, but I couldn't imagine being jailbreakless on my 4S.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Yeah, swipe-tap to go to Airplane mode is a thing that Apple should have had in iOS from the get-go. (It's one of those things where you wonder if the developers are specifically deciding to not add the feature just to gently caress with people.)

Any word on installing 5.1.1? It looks like I'm not the only one having trouble. And for some reason I can't download sn0wbreeze (the link from ih8snow doesn't work).

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

randyest posted:

Tethering :(

Data share instead.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Biodome posted:

Data share instead.
You mean those new plans or what? I'm on AT&T with a grandfathered unlimited plan that I'd like to keep. They don't throttle me even when I hit up to 6GB and never been hassled about tethering to my pad. Cheap and convenient.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

randyest posted:

You mean those new plans or what? I'm on AT&T with a grandfathered unlimited plan that I'd like to keep. They don't throttle me even when I hit up to 6GB and never been hassled about tethering to my pad. Cheap and convenient.
I'm on the 6GB data share and actually ended up saving 15/mo with 3 lines, which had something to do with our 20% discount. My brother hardly uses 400mb/mo so it was a no-brainier for us.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
If you aren't using swipebright you are crazy.

Edit: VVVV :psyduck:

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 24, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Tried jailbreaking ios6 with redsn0w and kept getting Keys.plist errors when I'd try to boot tethered. Guess no jailbreak for me for now =/

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Tried jailbreaking ios6 with redsn0w and kept getting Keys.plist errors when I'd try to boot tethered. Guess no jailbreak for me for now =/

This is a joke post, right?

Edit: wait, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they had a tethered jailbreak for the iOS 6 gm.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

JayKay posted:

Edit: wait, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they had a tethered jailbreak for the iOS 6 gm.

There's a tethered ios6 jailbreak, and it works on release. Works fine on my bro's iPhone 4, but no matter what I do, I can't boot tethered.

Meskalade
Feb 28, 2006

All the bitches want a ride...

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

There's a tethered ios6 jailbreak, and it works on release. Works fine on my bro's iPhone 4, but no matter what I do, I can't boot tethered.

Same here, I also can't seem to downgrade to 5.1.1 either.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

JayKay posted:

Yeah, but it's limited to A4 devices so far.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a place to get older versions of Cydia apps? I think I updated AutoProtect to 1.1.1 and now it's crashing SpringBoard. I'd like to revert back to 1.1 or whatever, but I don't know where to get it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Here's a nice little reference guide from the dev team, should come in handy when things pick up: http://jailbrea.kr/

Martytoof posted:

Is there a place to get older versions of Cydia apps? I think I updated AutoProtect to 1.1.1 and now it's crashing SpringBoard. I'd like to revert back to 1.1 or whatever, but I don't know where to get it.

I've not seen any websites or repositories for such. Maybe contact the developer?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Etrips posted:

Is MyWi still the best tethering app? Last I heard carriers were cracking down on people tethering and they were mostly using MyWi.

Mywi is the best, yeah, but if you have grandfathered unlimited data and don't want to lose it be careful. Seems like it's one warning then that's it.

Meskalade
Feb 28, 2006

All the bitches want a ride...

Martytoof posted:

I've had some luck just googling for the specific version of an app and finding a repo hosting it, but that might be uncommon.

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?
I have my iPhone 4S jailbroken on 5.11. How can I remove my jailbreak without upgrading to iOS6?

Edit: I'm going to try restore my phone, I just remember in the past iTunes automatically upgrading my iOS during a restore.

Dr. Mix fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 27, 2012

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

Dr. Mix posted:

I have my iPhone 4S jailbroken on 5.11. How can I remove my jailbreak without upgrading to iOS6?

Edit: I'm going to try restore my phone, I just remember in the past iTunes automatically upgrading my iOS during a restore.

Download the 5.1.1 firmware for your phone from here, http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/firmware and then hold shift when you click on the restore button. It will open up your file manager, select the firmware you downloaded and it should do its thing. If you have a mac substitute shift for command (I think).

Edit: That's if restore tries to update to IOS 6 on you, which I don't think it should.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 27, 2012

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Christoff posted:

Mywi is the best, yeah, but if you have grandfathered unlimited data and don't want to lose it be careful. Seems like it's one warning then that's it.

Have there really been cases of this? I just thought you run through your 3/5gigs and get throttled to .7mbps for the rest of the month.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Are there any wallpaper cycling apps like Bosspaper that work with iPad3? I have had no luck finding one so far :(.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Reasons I'd jailbreak iOS6:

- notification centre settings toggles, specifically:
- - airplane mode
- - tethering on/off toggle (as I don't want to tether when I plug in to my PC, for example)
- - flashlight capability
- - wifi/bluetooth/etc. toggles (less important)
- foldercloser, to close folders after I run what I want inside it
- tetherstatus or whatever it's called, to push the tethered notification to the status bar and therefore nto display a 2-thick status bar whenever tethered, as it screws app layouts
- nospot, to disable the spotlight search screen (less important)
- carrier name changer, since mine's 9 characters long it pushes some notification icons such as the data loading symbol over to the right of the time, which is annoying
- 5 icon dock

With the exception of 5 icon dock and carrier name changer, I think Apple could reasonably include these in to iOS and still have it feel natural. It's a diminishing but still very significant set of functionality that does add to the phone's capability in a tangible way.

I also acknowledge that there's certain apps eg: bitesms and the tethering apps that others love, but they don't apply to me personally so I didn't list them.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
The main reason I jailbroke my iPad is that I stupidly bought a 16gig one, not realising that the apps are huge compared to iPhone apps. This means that I can't fit any movies on the device, so jailbreaking allowed me to install XBMC and use the camera connection kit to watch stuff off an SD card. It works really well, and play a lot more formats than the built in player.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

I also acknowledge that there's certain apps eg: bitesms and the tethering apps that others love, but they don't apply to me personally so I didn't list them.

BiteSMS is great. There's nothing better than being able to quickly reply to a text message without leaving whatever app you're in.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

gohmak posted:

Have there really been cases of this? I just thought you run through your 3/5gigs and get throttled to .7mbps for the rest of the month.

He's talking about only getting one warning about tethering.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Ezrem posted:

BiteSMS is great. There's nothing better than being able to quickly reply to a text message without leaving whatever app you're in.

This. And auto-resend and little things like photo thumbnails in your Messages list. Also, Folder Enhancer is great for those of us who stack up a lot of apps in a single folders page. Dreaming for an early 5/iOS6 jailbreak, but not really keeping my hopes up...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a good way to enable Weather in notification centre for an iPad1? I installed some "stock weather widgets" that I found in Cydia which did add a "stock" and "weather" section to Notification Centre settings, but when I pull down the notification pane nothing shows up. There's also no associated apps for me to configure my location in, etc.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

furushotakeru posted:

He's talking about only getting one warning about tethering.

I've actually gotten 2 warnings from AT&T but they were months (maybe a year) apart. First time was because I used MyWi to email some poo poo from my laptop at a job site. The second was from browsing a site or two on my iPad. Neither case of what I would consider "heavy" usage yet I still got pinged. I average about 2-3GB a month but that was mostly on the phone itself, I made it a point to not use tethering much. I imagine my account is flagged to some extent.

Still have my unlimited, though.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Is there a good way to enable Weather in notification centre for an iPad1? I installed some "stock weather widgets" that I found in Cydia which did add a "stock" and "weather" section to Notification Centre settings, but when I pull down the notification pane nothing shows up. There's also no associated apps for me to configure my location in, etc.

Look into LockInfo, it works well for me.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Just because I am curious, my memory isn't working and google isn't returning easily parsable results...

Does anyone remember how long the gap was between the release of iOS 5 and the release of its Jailbreak? I know it's not directly applicable to every revision, but I suppose it'll calm my GV extension jonesing to have a ballpark to look forward too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

gohmak posted:

It seems they'll flag you regardless of how much data you use. They throttle after whatever gigs it is regardless of how you got there.

I got an email, text, and letter warning me I'd be switched to a 3 gig/tether plan unless I called. Called and it was pretty much oh you were tethering don't do it again Tsk tsk. Google tells me a lot of people do in fact lose unlimited after the 2nd warning.

So do whatever you want. I went a year of intermittent mywii use. Some people maybe use 10 gigs a moth and haven't gotten a warning. But just realize if you care about your unlimited data or not.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So I looked back a few pages but couldn't find an answer to this. I've also looked around on Google a bit, but haven't been able to find anything that address my particular situation...

I've got an un-jailbroken iphone 4. I upgraded to ios 6 and, well, I don't like it. I won't air my grievances here save to say its much more than just the lack of Gmaps.

Currently, with the new version of itunes, there's no way to do a legit roll back to 5.1.1 from 6. So I want to know if I can jailbreak my ios 6 phone specifically for the purpose of rolling back to 5. I guess having the added functionality of a jailbroken phone will just be a bonus to me.

I got the 'Developer' version of redsn0w, booted in DFU mode, and downloaded the 5.1.1 ipsw. Now in the redsn0w extras I've got the option to manually specify an ipsw. Does that mean my roll back is as easy as selecting that? Or do I need to do something else?

Is there any way for me to get back to 5.1.1? Even with an iphone 4 with jailbroken tethered ios6?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 27, 2012

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

So I looked back a few pages but couldn't find an answer to this. I've also looked around on Google a bit, but haven't been able to find anything that address my particular situation...

I've got an un-jailbroken iphone 4. I upgraded to ios 6 and, well, I don't like it. I won't air my grievances here save to say its much more than just the lack of Gmaps.

Currently, with the new version of itunes, there's no way to do a legit roll back to 5.1.1 from 6. So I want to know if I can jailbreak my ios 6 phone specifically for the purpose of rolling back to 5. I guess having the added functionality of a jailbroken phone will just be a bonus to me.

I got the 'Developer' version of redsn0w, booted in DFU mode, and downloaded the 5.1.1 ipsw. Now in the redsn0w extras I've got the option to manually specify an ipsw. Does that mean my roll back is as easy as selecting that? Or do I need to do something else?

Is there any way for me to get back to 5.1.1? Even with an iphone 4 with jailbroken tethered ios6?

There is a tethered jailbreak for 4A devices, which the 4 is, I believe. But I don't know that it's public/widely available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

So putting it in DFU mode and then doing the shift click restore doesn't work?

http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/18/downgrade-ios-6-beta-to-ios-5/

• Locked thread