Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I hope I'm not blowing your mind Mans but the clubs don't design their own kits.

But it's the club that approves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Not too happy with Rojo tbh even if we stole him from Benfica, isn't he a natural LB? Maybe they want to try him at RB since we have Insua on the left, just hope we didn't get bent over with wages demands just to beat Benfica on a transfer.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You also got Pranjic apparently. Sporting always makes the most interesting transfers.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
So Milan are apparently looking at Porto's Rolando with all that T. Silva money...how much would he go for?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
In 5 mins there will be a press conference for a new secret Sporting signing, exciting...it'll be either Rojo, another reject CB from the Brazilian league or (hopefully) Pranjic.

e: it's Pranjic.

Rolando nowadays would go for around €15m, he had a pretty bad season last year. 2 years ago he was one of the most important players at Porto, but last season Mangala and Otamendi both performed better than him and a lot of Porto fans want him gone. He's nothing exceptional really, unlike Silva, but maybe once he gets away from Vitor Pereira he will once again be a great player.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 13, 2012

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Rolando nowadays would go for around 15m [...] He's nothing exceptional really.

Capitalism, everyone.

Porto are a bit short on centre backs, tbh, so they'd want to spend much of the money they get from Rolando on some South American kid. 15m sounds realistic enough.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Ras Het posted:

Capitalism, everyone.

Porto are a bit short on centre backs, tbh, so they'd want to spend much of the money they get from Rolando on some South American kid. 15m sounds realistic enough.

Eh, not really, they have great young players in Mangala and Otamendi, Rolando and Maicon, who is seemingly on the verge of also becoming a great CB if Vitor Pereira stops playing him at RB. The center of the defense isn't really a spot they need to strengthen unless someone leaves.

Benfica - Marseille is starting, anyone going to watch it? Pre season matches don't mean poo poo, so I usually watch Sporting's and nobody else's, but I thought people might be interested. Might be worth it to take a look at Ola John.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Eh, not really, they have great young players in Mangala and Otamendi, Rolando and Maicon, who is seemingly on the verge of also becoming a great CB if Vitor Pereira stops playing him at RB. The center of the defense isn't really a spot they need to strengthen unless someone leaves.

Three centre backs isn't exactly a lot though? That's what I meant, if they sell Rolando they'll want a replacement.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Benfica was solid for the first match after their break. OLa Jonh and Luisinho seem promising, sucks that Ola and Matic were injured. I missed Carlos Martins and was glad to see him score. I doubt he'll play much this year but he'll be a good player to deepen the midfield.

Hope Roderick Miranda stays with Benfica this year, who knows, maybe Benfica will field two (2!) Portuguese players this year at the same time!

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

Mans posted:

Benfica was solid for the first match after their break. OLa Jonh and Luisinho seem promising, sucks that Ola and Matic were injured. I missed Carlos Martins and was glad to see him score. I doubt he'll play much this year but he'll be a good player to deepen the midfield.

Hope Roderick Miranda stays with Benfica this year, who knows, maybe Benfica will field two (2!) Portuguese players this year at the same time!

Now now, you're not being fair, we can possibly field three Portuguese players, Martins, Oliveira, and Roderick.

Though I doubt they'll all be played at the same time.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And Miguel Vitor, Mika and Djaló.

See Sporting? You can completely ignore your academy and you'll still get a ton of national players :smug:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Those are all crap players.

Rojo played as a CB yesterday, so if that's the plan I'm happier with the transfer, we really didn't need a new LB. However it seems Matias Fernandez might be on his way to Fiorentina for 4 million, which is crap, I was even going to buy his shirt this year. On the one hand he spends half the season injured, on the other when he's fit he's the only midfield player capable of injecting some creativity into a match and he can pull off some pretty genius moves. Hope there's a replacement already lined up.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Supercup tonight, Porto - Académica.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
What do you guys think about this whole Luisão situation? The Portuguese media (and the Benfica representatives) are trying to spin it as just some referee's theatrics and not a big deal, which seems like a fruitless exercise as that's not the version UEFA is going to be fed. They are going to hear Fortuna and the referee's complaints and they'll watch the video where there's obvious contact between Luisão and the ref after the player ran for 15 meters in his direction, and they'll probably side with the ref as they usually do. Luisão's punishment could be a suspension of up to 10 European matches, which would basically write him off of Benfica's entire CL campaign, and they don't really have the proper replacement.

Also, are Benfica really buying a Belgium LB for 7 million? Seems like a lot of money for a player I had never heard of.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Regardless if Luisão did or not push the ref, he and Benfica should get punished for the circus that they made up around this bullshit. Seriously, shameful display.

Can already hear Vieira cry "CONSPIRACY!" if Luisão does get banned.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Well, apparently FIFA have decided not to intervene in this issue as they had no involvement with the match where it occurred, and are leaving it in the hands of the Portuguese Football Federation. As much as I would like Luisão to get a lengthy ban (for Sporting's sake), the probability of him getting a harsh punishment are now much smaller, and knowing how this type of processes develop in Portugal he'll probably get his punishment around the year 2023.

I'll try to make the new thread this weekend, and if that isn't possible I'll only be able to do it in a week (unless someone else creates one in the meantime). Also taking suggestions for the new thread title.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Portuguese League 2012\13 - Spoilers: Porto will win it

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
There's the Sporting we all know and love.

:mmmsmug:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Big blows for Porto and Benfica, Hulk was the motor in that team and Porto look far less dangerous without him while Benfica just lost basically their whole midfield and have no proper replacements, think the Javi Garcia deal was silly really, €20m isn't worth basically writing off a whole season. I can see Braga taking advantage of this, but they lost Lima too...Maybe Sporting?! nah...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Someone explain Benfica's midfield to me. Matic behind Martins? That's it for the whole season pretty much?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
And Aimar playing at 10 when he's not broken. They'll need some replacements urgently in January, until then it's a shot to the foot I guess.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
At least all the teams at the top managed to cripple themselves at the same time. I imagine the January window will play a big part in what the league looks like at the end.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Yeah at least with Hulk heading out it will not be another year of "Porto wins, don't bother watching."

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I dunno, I don't think losing Hulk will hurt Porto nearly as much selling Garcia and Witsel will Benfica. Is that other Colombian dude at Porto even approaching James' quality?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ras Het posted:

Someone explain Benfica's midfield to me. Matic behind Martins? That's it for the whole season pretty much?
In theory it's Aimar and two wingers (Nolito, Gaitan, Salvio, Bruno Cesar) doing sexy things while two burly men stay behind and prevent attacks (witsel, Javi or Ruben Amorim).

Since Benfica lost all three defensive midfielders and Carlos Martins has been pretty good i guess Jesus is planning on an all 5 attacking midfielders attempting to score more goals than conceding. We really have no decent defending guys in the midfield anymore.

Gigi Galli posted:

At least all the teams at the top managed to cripple themselves at the same time. I imagine the January window will play a big part in what the league looks like at the end.
Any barely decent player in a non top-4 team will be attacked by them. All four teams are dire for replacements but Braga and Porto seem to be the most stable ones, they lost important players but they have ways to cover for them. Sporting and Benfica are kinda hosed and will have a bad season in my opinion.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mans posted:

Since Benfica lost all three defensive midfielders and Carlos Martins has been pretty good i guess Jesus is planning on an all 5 attacking midfielders attempting to score more goals than conceding. We really have no decent defending guys in the midfield anymore.

Oh God, if only there was a way you could face Roma in a European tournament this year... :allears:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Porto will do fine without Hulk. They still have Fernando, Moutinho and Jaime Rodriguez, and Hulk was suppose to leave anyway, the surprise is that it took so long.

Benfica is proper hosed though. The only way now is go crazy and start fielding 4-2-4(or 4-1-5) from now on, considering we have like a combined striker and winger force of 9 or so players. Just shove them all up front, and get all the goals.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the best video i've ever seen in my entire life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1si1x-TckDM

Toni giving it to the Iranians :patriot:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
That's the funniest loving thing I've seen, Toni's face when the journalist is arguing with the translator and they look like they're ready to fight and he has no idea what is going on is killing me. What the gently caress has he got himself into?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Benfica :negative:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Jorge Jesus, like a true world class professional, blamed it all on the refs.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

Ras Het posted:

Jorge Jesus, like a true world class professional portuguese coach, blamed it all on the refs.

That's more like it.

Goddamn it Académica, I hope you finally go down this season..

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Finally a Sporting win.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Amazing goal by Jackson Martínez.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Even the English commentators on the stream I'm watching think the ref has been ridiculous today, two dodgy penalties for Porto, loving hell, why do I still watch this loving league? Like the club isn't hosed up enough as it is.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 7, 2012

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG

Even the English commentators on the stream I'm watching think the ref has been ridiculous today, two dodgy penalties for Porto, loving hell, why do I still watch this loving league? Like the club isn't hosed up enough as it is.
I was at Dragão and I only watched the replays for the penalties (which weren't really penalties), but to me it looked like Sporting put in a Boavistaesque performance with regards to tackling, and did nothing else all match.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Braga - Olhanese was an awesome match.

And Scolari is the new Sporting manager. Sporting is a joke haha

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I think, at this point, it can be said Porto's transfers were the best among the three greats+Braga.

I'm very positively surprised by Jackson's quality - I was expecting him to have some more trouble adapting, but he's already shown that he's, at worst, a decent replacement for Falcao. Reminds me a lot of McCarthy.

Do you Sporting guys think Scolari is a good choice? Personally, from the names that are being thrown around, I'd prefer van Marwijk or Co Adriaanse.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mans posted:

Braga - Olhanese was an awesome match.

And Scolari is the new Sporting manager. Sporting is a joke haha

What's so bad about Scolari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's old and his record after leaving the Portuguese team has been one disaster after another. He's proven to show a good amount of skill for the first month or so but then his teams suddenly lose massive quality. Maybe he's too predictable or inflexible, who knows. What i know is that Sporting doesn't need another person who will be good for only a few months. For that they'd go back to Domingos Paciencia, since they're literally paying him for the next two years.

To foreign goons, this is what Jackson Martinez did to Sporting. He's been amazing so far and yeah, he's looking like a new Falcao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq-3nLzkUiY

But gently caress him and gently caress Porto because Maxi Pereira is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zayJ00Ojgco
:getin:

While i'm at it, Braga tied at 4 goals with Olhanese. There's no youtube video of it so you'll have to take my word for it when i say it was a pretty cool game.

• Locked thread