Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Break Fast posted:

My recently built Desktop meant for video editing.

Big throbbing cybercock specs
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 with Zalman CNPS8900 Extreme cooler
RAM: Kingston 16gb @ 1600 MHz
VGA: Gigabyte GTX 670
Monitor: Dell 23', IPS/8ms
HDD: Loads
Sound: Logitech Z4 & Sennheiser HD 515
Mouse&Keyboard: Logitech G9x & Razer Blackwidow
Case: Thermaltake Armor A30

Laptop: Vaio F Series, 16', i5, blah, blah

Trying to keep it as tidy as possible. Use my windowsill for usual useless crap.

Getting rid of blue LED's as soon as I overcome the lazyness.

Comfy mouse, comfy headphones.

With my Sony F series laptop. Serves as 2nd monitor for time being.

My attempt at war with cables.

Not exactly sure where to place second monitor in the future. Going to most likely have to either put the case on the ground (which I do not prefer because of dust) or mount the monitor to the wall.

I despise LEDs on computer equipment these days. I want that poo poo quiet and dark. I think it must come with age since I'm old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

mediaphage posted:

I despise LEDs on computer equipment these days. I want that poo poo quiet and dark. I think it must come with age since I'm old.

Exactly. I think it's even worse because they are blue. I guess I would be just fine with white ones, but blue is just way overused at this point.
Somewhat wish the keyboard had the option for white backlightning.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mediaphage posted:

I went so far as to disconnect all my system LEDs. People sometimes ask me how I'm supposed to know if my computer is on without a power LED. I kind of struggle to not make the :what: face.

I'm also glad that my monitor lets me specify the percentage of its power LED's brightness to use when turned on. Current setting: 0.0% :cool:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Those really bright blue LEDs for me have a weird effect where it is impossible for my eyes to correctly focus on the source. Only bright blue LEDs. I have no idea if everyone has this or not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have trouble focusing on the source when I'm looking away in disgust too :rimshot:

But seriously, I think I know what you're talking about. It happens to me sometimes.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Martytoof posted:

I went so far as to disconnect all my system LEDs.

So the saying goes: the only good LED is a dead LED.

I never even bothered to connect them.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 20, 2012

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Those really bright blue LEDs for me have a weird effect where it is impossible for my eyes to correctly focus on the source. Only bright blue LEDs. I have no idea if everyone has this or not.

I think this has to do with the blue lighting specifically. It's the same reason no dashes in cars use bright blue LEDs, because it's harder to focus on them. As far as I know (and I could be wrong here), blue is just harder to focus on and strains your eyes, because it's near the end of the visible light spectrum.

Red, White, Orange, Green, etc etc lights (LEDs or otherwise) are easy peasy for me to focus on and look at, just blue annoys the poo poo out of me, and as I've found looking online, a lot of other people.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I went so far as to disconnect all my system LEDs. People sometimes ask me how I'm supposed to know if my computer is on without a power LED. I kind of struggle to not make the :what: face.

I'm also glad that my monitor lets me specify the percentage of its power LED's brightness to use when turned on. Current setting: 0.0% :cool:

<getoffmylawn>high-five!</getoffmylawn>

Next step, getting sufficient coolers to do a fanless video card.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Martytoof posted:

Silly goons, this is how you know if your computer is on or not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4cfgEaKKos

Personally I love pretty lights, especially behind a brighter light source or in something recessed. v:shobon:v :2bong:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

glompix posted:

Silly goons, this is how you know if your computer is on or not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4cfgEaKKos

Oddly enough, I dig the red/blue light strip across the front of the train.

It's like Awkward Steampunk Knight Rider.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oddly enough, I dig the red/blue light strip across the front of the train.

Pretty sure that's just a reflection :ssh:

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Well, I got that jerker but I seem to have an orphan accessory that I can't identify. It looks like I have a computer strap to go with a mount but seeing as the actual accessory is bent, I'm not so sure what the heck it is. Anybody got a picture of their own computer mount for the jerker desk?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Do you mean the part they sell separately? I have a computer mount for my galant, which had a strap but I threw it away since the tower can just sit in the mount.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah the separate addon for the Jerker, I'm assuming that since I've got the strap, I should have a mount but searching for pictures of Jerker accesorries and addons is a huge pain in the rear end so I can't identify what exactly I got. I just want to know if I got a damaged part. :(

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Rented a desk for my freelance empire, just need to liven it up with a plant or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I saw this on apartmenttherapy or lifehacker a long time ago, but someone cut out a slot in their desk surface and put a little planter in there, then planted grass in it. Ever since I saw that I've wanted to do something similar.

The idea of having to mow your desk is just delightfully amusing to me.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Just got a new office. Need to still do a little cable management/painting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I saw this on apartmenttherapy or lifehacker a long time ago, but someone cut out a slot in their desk surface and put a little planter in there, then planted grass in it. Ever since I saw that I've wanted to do something similar.

The idea of having to mow your desk is just delightfully amusing to me.

I'd like that under a glass top.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mediaphage posted:

I'd like that under a glass top.

I would totally do that around an iMac base and have it look like my iMac is just sitting on a small patch of grass.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I would totally do that around an iMac base and have it look like my iMac is just sitting on a small patch of grass.

Yesssssss exactly

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'd like to start using my displays in a paper-like orientation (not sure if that makes sense, but basically: rotated 90 degrees). But I can still imagine a scenario (read: games) where I'd like to, just temporarily, rotate them back to standard orientation. Does a mount exist that would let me do this?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'd like to start using my displays in a paper-like orientation (not sure if that makes sense, but basically: rotated 90 degrees). But I can still imagine a scenario (read: games) where I'd like to, just temporarily, rotate them back to standard orientation. Does a mount exist that would let me do this?

A lot of mounts and monitors come standard with portrait rotation.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Before you go buy a mount, test it out and make sure that your screen turned in portrait doesn't make you nauseous. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but many non-IPS monitors have some strange side-effects when viewed in portrait.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Look at Ergotron's stuff.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Before you go buy a mount, test it out and make sure that your screen turned in portrait doesn't make you nauseous. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but many non-IPS monitors have some strange side-effects when viewed in portrait.

The biggest issues with portrait is viewing angles. TN panels, when ran that way, have even worse viewing angles than normal. Their off height viewing angles are so bad that on their side you will just get a really bad image. The other thing is cleartype, since rotating the monitor changes subpixel configuration.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So I made a desk out of a re-claimed butcher's block and 3/4" black pipe. I might strip it and stain it again at some point, but I like the rough look.

This thing is a BEAST! No wobble at all.

..please respect the Dell QuietKey :D

edit: If anyone wants info about how the legs are made, let me know. It's a really simple project, I figure the legs can be adapted to any sort of top.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 29, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Google Butt posted:

So I made a desk out of a re-claimed butcher's block and 3/4" black pipe. I might strip it and stain it again at some point, but I like the rough look.

edit: If anyone wants info about how the legs are made, let me know. It's a really simple project, I figure the legs can be adapted to any sort of top.

If you could show how the legs were made, that'd be awesome. I want to do something similar to that, but I can't picture how the legs attach to the top.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AlphaDog posted:

If you could show how the legs were made, that'd be awesome. I want to do something similar to that, but I can't picture how the legs attach to the top.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

:doh:

Thanks. Of course.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Pardon the blurry picture, it's a phone camera. Just got the office in our new apartment set up, desk on the left is my girl's, desk on the right is mine. Both IKEA Besta desks, hers with the modular shelves. Her PC is an off-the-shelf HP, mine's a custom built, the MBP is my work machine. I use Synergy to share the mouse and keyboard between my two PCs. Monitors are both LG IPS235s.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Google Butt posted:

I have a giant slab of old 1950s solid (SOLID -- this thing probably weighs more than all my Ikea furniture combined) wood chemistry lab tabletop in our garage that I'm trying to debate how to finish. The rough look really is appealing.

Though in the end I'm probably going to go to with a solid black paint around the outside and sand and varnish the top to its natural colour. It's al black right now but it's got a few scratches on top that really make me think the wood underneath is gorgeous.

Downside is that it's really long. I will probably cut it in half and make two tables out of it, all said and done. I wish I had room for a single giant long desk but that's not going to happen for many moons.

The things they throw out on campus. I could probably furnish a house with old castoff lab equipment and 1970s office furniture.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Martytoof posted:

I have a giant slab of old 1950s solid (SOLID -- this thing probably weighs more than all my Ikea furniture combined) wood chemistry lab tabletop in our garage that I'm trying to debate how to finish. The rough look really is appealing.

Though in the end I'm probably going to go to with a solid black paint around the outside and sand and varnish the top to its natural colour. It's al black right now but it's got a few scratches on top that really make me think the wood underneath is gorgeous.

Downside is that it's really long. I will probably cut it in half and make two tables out of it, all said and done. I wish I had room for a single giant long desk but that's not going to happen for many moons.

The things they throw out on campus. I could probably furnish a house with old castoff lab equipment and 1970s office furniture.

I'm not sure what kind of tools you have. but what I would do is cut a 3" or 4" strip off one of the sides with a circular saw. Try a few different stains/finishes on that strip.

The nice thing about making the legs out of pipe is that you can get as crazy as you want with the cross members, just add more T-fittings! I used caps as feet because it's on carpet, on hardwood floors I'd use another set of flanges.

I'm partial to real light stains and finishes because I work with 18th century American painted furniture and architectural elements. We get a ton of 200 year old work tables, beams and planks with beautiful tool marks. It'd be a shame to cover all those up!

edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if you're buying that black pipe from HomeDepot, it has a thick black coating on it. What I did was get some gloves, rags and acetone, held the acetone soaked rag in my palm and twisted the pipe through my hand. If you take the black stuff all the way off you end up with a shiny pipe, if you're careful and take off just enough it gives the piece a nice patina.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 30, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Google Butt posted:

Did you do anything to reduce side to side wobble with this?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

FISHMANPET posted:

You can just screw the pipes in to what ever depth you need to level out. It's probably on of the most adjustable desks you can get. You could probably level that out on a 1% grade.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

front wing flexing posted:

You can just screw the pipes in to what ever depth you need to level out. It's probably on of the most adjustable desks you can get. You could probably level that out on a 1% grade.

I thought he's asking about stopping the desk from tiliting; keeping the legs at 90 degrees.

Another piece of pipe between the back two legs would stop that.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I thought about adding another length of pipe across the back, but it would have raised the cost a bit. Side to side wobble is basically non-existent, unless I grab the desk with two hands and shake it! Just bumping into it doesn't move it at all. If you build one and it wobbles, all you have to do is go buy a couple T-fittings and a few more lengths of pipe!

If I was going to make much a longer desk I'd probably add one. 48"and under I don't think it's necessary, although it would give it a nice finished look!

front wing flexing posted:

This is true. The height is extremely adjustable, you can buy pipe in 1/2" increments AND you can dial it in by screwing/unscrewing the feet sections.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 1, 2012

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off

According to one of the few other friends I have who's into computers, my monitor setup is an affront to the computer gods. To me it's just a place to stick a few gadgets, iTune's, and windows explorer. I usually like to run a clean shift when it comes to workspace, but once stuff starts collecting on my desk it takes a while to go away.

Here's my computer in back along with it's main cooling unit. People keep telling me it's just going to be blowing all that hot air back at it, but it's really just blowing it out the window behind me, and acts as an impromptu heater which is kind of a necessity up here.

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

SevenSocks posted:

According to one of the few other friends I have who's into computers, my monitor setup is an affront to the computer gods. To me it's just a place to stick a few gadgets, iTune's, and windows explorer. I usually like to run a clean shift when it comes to workspace, but once stuff starts collecting on my desk it takes a while to go away.

Here's my computer in back along with it's main cooling unit. People keep telling me it's just going to be blowing all that hot air back at it, but it's really just blowing it out the window behind me, and acts as an impromptu heater which is kind of a necessity up here.

Is that some variant like the VW246H? Get another so they match, and mount them on this: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Monitor-Stand-clamp-monitors/dp/B002R9HQLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349152612&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+monitor+stand

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Speaking of monitor mounts. Does anyone have a good reccomendation for a triple monitor mount to support 3x24"?

There are a small handful on Amazon I have been looking at, not sure if I want to go with one of the $90 dollar basic looking ones, or something > $200. It is for work so I wouldn't be paying the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Still getting the hang of this minimalism thing. :ohdear: