Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

MetaJew posted:

I'm exaggerating, but only a little. You have the spin on oil filter, and some oil drains there. Then there is a.drain plug.for the frame. Then there is a transmission/engine cartridge filter. After that, there are two drain plugs on the bottom. One has a screen and magnet that I'm not sure how to clean, and the other is just a magnet.

Apparently, you have to burp the frame oil reservoir, too.

Anyway, so in one oil change you use three crush washers, a spin on filter, a cartridge filter, and a gasket for the cartridge. The PO installed a SS reusable cartridge, but I'm not sure of a good way to clean it and I'm sure the paper cartridge filters better.

Burping the frame is annoying but not that huge of a deal. It's been awhile since I had my old 625 (690 krew :whatup: ) but after filling the sump with its required amount of oil, you dump .7L or whatever it calls for into the frame from the fill port on the left side of the head tube. I used a suction gun like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/oil-suction-gun-95468.html . It made the job considerably less messy and quite a bit faster. Thread the bolt in by hand and back off ~1/4 turn. Get your socket ready and on the bolt, start the engine, and after a couple seconds you'll see oil start seeping out of the threads. With the engine still running tighten the bolt. You have to do this with the engine running to make sure the head tube is pressurized. If it's not properly pressurized you risk serious damage to your engine :stare:

There's a great writeup on ADVrider somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Already posted again but re-posting

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/3252545900.html

Been talking to him a bit. Said he'll take $7,200. I hate to low-ball but I'm hesitant to pay above $7,000.Any last input?

Anyone know if the 2007 passenger pegs would fit? Pegs are $250 new! Looks like they can be bought used for $150

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 19, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So, remember when my WR250 got wrecked.

It's got new life:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3252881861.html

The guy got it for $1800 from a salvage yard, put $1200 into it and is now selling it for $4500. He said he'd sell it back to me for $3500 but I know what that bike's been through (a wall pretty much) so I don't want it :haw:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I love seeing my old vehicles after I've gotten rid of them. :love:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I love seeing my old vehicles after I've gotten rid of them. :love:

I miss my wheels.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do you still have a bike or is it just the CRZ right now?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you still have a bike or is it just the CRZ right now?

Just the CRZ. I have my 83 supra which is nonop and a 78 xs1100 which is another deal. No working bike though.

Tang_
May 8, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Basically the same powerplant, mine has no stalling issues and it pulls like a train with the K&N / SC combo. The thing to do is get yourself a cable and alter your F-L Switch table using TuneECU. It controls when the ECU flips over to the economy "L" map, which seems to be the cause of most stalling with the 690 LC4.

You got the KN stock replacement filter or the 1750 pod? I'm about to rip my airbox out and put the pod in there but I'm hearing bad things about the intake length, with the pod. Considering cutting out the stock velocity stack to mate with the pod for better airflow or some other crazy idea.

Just got my SC project pipe the other day too, there is a big difference in power between baffle in/out. Its too freaking loud without it though, but I want the power. Mod the baffle is my next project.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Tang_ posted:

You got the KN stock replacement filter or the 1750 pod? I'm about to rip my airbox out and put the pod in there but I'm hearing bad things about the intake length, with the pod. Considering cutting out the stock velocity stack to mate with the pod for better airflow or some other crazy idea.

Just got my SC project pipe the other day too, there is a big difference in power between baffle in/out. Its too freaking loud without it though, but I want the power. Mod the baffle is my next project.

1750 universal, do it. I hadn't heard about any problems with the intake length, but if you experiment (maybe a u-bend pipe putting the filter above the throttle body?) keep us updated, I'm interested to know if there's a difference. The KTM-supplied evo2 filter kit is a slightly longer K&N, now I think of it...

EDIT: remember the K&N is going to be noisy too, under load the flat rubber end cap vibrates like a drum. I wouldn't go back to the airbox now though, after getting rid of the hose-puzzle going to the valve cover it's been a breeze to check clearances and cam wear.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 20, 2012

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Just the CRZ. I have my 83 supra which is nonop and a 78 xs1100 which is another deal. No working bike though.

Did you really get 78 mpg with that WRX? I never had stock gearing but the most I got was 65.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

Did you really get 78 mpg with that WRX? I never had stock gearing but the most I got was 65.

Nope, the best I ever got was like 50-60. I'm 265lbs though, so it was puttin' in work all the time haha.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm always stalking craigslist and 2008-2010 Dukes keep coming up. They seem weird as hell and like they fit a real small niche. But look real fun for the street. Anyone ever owned/rode one? I don't think I've ever seen one on the roads.

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
Well, I sold my 690 smc which is a shame because it's a great bike. However...

not strictly a supermoto like the drz or smc were but I had to compromise. Doing any sort of distance/touring is a doddle now compared. This bike is a hoot!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

"[working title posted:

" post="407771786"]
Well, I sold my 690 smc which is a shame because it's a great bike. However...

not strictly a supermoto like the drz or smc were but I had to compromise. Doing any sort of distance/touring is a doddle now compared. This bike is a hoot!

Cracking bike. I got loaned an SMT for a day once and it was a really different experience from the 690, bags of smooth, low down torque and great suspension. If I was living somewhere that I had to commute a proper distance the 990 would be my weapon of choice.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Christoff posted:

I'm always stalking craigslist and 2008-2010 Dukes keep coming up. They seem weird as hell and like they fit a real small niche. But look real fun for the street. Anyone ever owned/rode one? I don't think I've ever seen one on the roads.

I haven't ridden one, but the 690SMC is pretty close, the Duke will be fun on the street. It won't be bad on the track either, basically neck and neck with SV650s.

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!

ReelBigLizard posted:

Cracking bike. I got loaned an SMT for a day once and it was a really different experience from the 690, bags of smooth, low down torque and great suspension. If I was living somewhere that I had to commute a proper distance the 990 would be my weapon of choice.

Thanks, going back to to the smooth fuel delivery of the carbs has been great. Don't think I ever got the mapping right on the 690

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I changed my sprocket on the DRZ to 39 in the back (front is the same) when I replaced my chain. I can cruise at 75 now, so it's a lot nicer for commuting. It does feel different, but I'm happy with the change.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did it take anything significant away from the low-end?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'll have to ride around more to be sure, but I don't feel like it did. It certainly feels different, but once I get used to it I think I'll have the same fun at the low end. Then again, I don't race this bike, so it might just be that I have not ridden it hard enough to really notice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I guess I'd be happy if I could find a middle ground between the stocker, and the full-on ear raping of the MRD/FMFTi/Yosh/etc. The DRZ gets really really loud with those pipes.

Been awhile, but a good middle ground is the DRZ400E model exhaust - larger diameter header, basically equivalent to the powerbomb header, but still very limited noise because the can is still pretty restrictive.

Hard to find, and has somewhat different mounts than the DRZ400S/SM mounts, but can be fixed with some metal and a drill, iirc.

Or you can just ignore the middle mount, which I think is what I did.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I went from 48 to 41 in the back late last summer.
At first, I was like, "Where did my power go?". But then I realized I wasn't cruising around 25 mph neighborhoods in 3rd anymore.

Fair trade, I'd say.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I started my biek up for the first time since re-installing the electric starter. I turned it over for a few seconds with the plug out and no fuel to try and get the oil circulating through the system since I had drained it. Then, installed a new iridium plug, ran it for about 20 seconds, oil began to seep out of the frame filler hole, and everything looked fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC3nb5ml60k

:hellyeah:

In this video: Frankenstein exhaust. Both were cut down by the PO, and one was painted black and run as a single exhaust. Also, the threaded inserts on the LHS of the tank are no longer held to the tank so I can't, at this time, get that plastic off.

I still need to flush the brakes, make up a bracket for the headlight, and finish some miscellaneous wiring.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 23, 2012

Tang_
May 8, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

1750 universal, do it. I hadn't heard about any problems with the intake length, but if you experiment (maybe a u-bend pipe putting the filter above the throttle body?) keep us updated, I'm interested to know if there's a difference. The KTM-supplied evo2 filter kit is a slightly longer K&N, now I think of it...

EDIT: remember the K&N is going to be noisy too, under load the flat rubber end cap vibrates like a drum. I wouldn't go back to the airbox now though, after getting rid of the hose-puzzle going to the valve cover it's been a breeze to check clearances and cam wear.

Yeah that was one solution I read about to get a bit more back in the low-mid. I really only have my butt dyno to go by but if the power difference between stock airbox v pod is the same as stock pipe v slip on this is going to be one hell of a ride. Noise wont worry me too much as the bike is already obnoxious. Just need to grid a bit from the baffle to see what difference it makes.

What gearing do you run btw?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Running stock sprockets (16/44) but I think I'm going to drop it to a 15 on the front, maybe 45 on the rear, seems to be a popular ratio on the KTM UK forum and others.

Threw in a new clutch yesterday along with a new CNC slave cylinder. The plates were in better condition than I thought they would be, only a couple of the steels looked a little toasted. I'm having some trouble getting the new slave bled right because of where the stupid bleeder is. As a result I'm having trouble finding neutral with the bike running. I'll re-bleed it tomorrow and see if I can get it right.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I've got nearly everything buttoned up... or at least had enough to take it for a spin around the block! This thing is gonna be tons of fun!

Here are some not-so-great cellphone pics.

I'm 6' tall. Despite the height of the bike, I still feel like I make it look a little small. I love how light weight it is.

Back in the garage.

Edit: I still need to add another bracket to stabilize the headlight-- since the SMR(?) light that the PO put on here won't fit on the two pegs on the top of the fender. Right now it's aimed way too high and is basically useless, and the high beam goes into the neighbor's second story windows. What's the "correct" way to aim a headlight?

I need to investigate a little more as to which headlight housing I actually have. I think if I'm lucky, I can swap the incandescent bulb that's in there out with one of these:
http://sicassracing.com/store/bulbs/halogen/45_40w_s2_halogen_ktm_upgrade_bulb

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 24, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Just as an fyi, BT023's DO NOT fit a 400SM regardless of what my mechanic told me. Thankfully he covered the cost of the new tire.

Tire carnage below (2 week old bt023...)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
What size is that? It looks like a 150 from the sidewall..am I reading correctly?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

JP Money posted:

What size is that? It looks like a 150 from the sidewall..am I reading correctly?

Yes, it was a 150.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I used to run a 150 pilot power with no rub, let alone chain rub. I could have fit a 160 for sure. That sucks man.

Why the 023? Do you do a lot of highway?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

JP Money posted:

I used to run a 150 pilot power with no rub, let alone chain rub. I could have fit a 160 for sure. That sucks man.

Why the 023? Do you do a lot of highway?

The bike is my commuter and as much as I enjoy backing it in and shredding tires it gets expensive. I was hoping the bt023 would last me awhile and I could save some cash on tires. It was so ridiculously wide I had to take off my chain guard to get it out from the swing arm. Being that it's a touring tire and the DRZ is light compared to touring bikes I was hoping to get 8-10k out of it. Right now the wheel has a BT003 on it, which is meh.

I think I'm just going to start ordering my own tires. The past 2 sets I've gotten I've been pretty unhappy with, both on dirt and street.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

If you're running a 003 on dirt I can see how you'd be unhappy. I'm REALLY not a fan but what about Distanzias? Too dirt oriented?

I kept my DRZ on the street and thus loved my pilot powers - the rear cost me ~100 dollars (using a coupon code on motorcyclesuperstore I believe...) That said, if you do any dirt at all they're not a good choice.

What specifically was the tire rubbing on? Your swingarm on the ride side? I can't believe it was that bad a case. Especially being a /70. I've seen some chain rub on 160's from relatively loose chains but never a tire completely eaten alive like that.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Was it aligned properly? Seems like it could have been out of whack with that much rub on one side.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

JP Money posted:

If you're running a 003 on dirt I can see how you'd be unhappy. I'm REALLY not a fan but what about Distanzias? Too dirt oriented?

I kept my DRZ on the street and thus loved my pilot powers - the rear cost me ~100 dollars (using a coupon code on motorcyclesuperstore I believe...) That said, if you do any dirt at all they're not a good choice.

What specifically was the tire rubbing on? Your swingarm on the ride side? I can't believe it was that bad a case. Especially being a /70. I've seen some chain rub on 160's from relatively loose chains but never a tire completely eaten alive like that.

I have a set of wheels off of a DRZE model for dirt done up with knobbies. It rubbed on the side of the exhaust can and was actually making contact with the edge of the exhaust tip, I had a ton of rubber coating the swing-arm and the exhaust.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Was it aligned properly? Seems like it could have been out of whack with that much rub on one side.

It was aligned fine, it was installed by a local shop that does good work and for the life of me I can't figure out why it did it. My rear end is a bit bigger than the bike likes, but still I don't think it should have done that. The entire time I had that tire I had a chicken strip on the right side, or at least I thought it was a chicken strip. Knowing what I know now and with how I ride I know it was rub and not a strip. The actual damage happened when I did my first "Hard ride" with the tire, 30 miles of tight twisties averaging 45-50mph through the entire thing. I ride like a dong I know, but I keep it in my lane and I watch ahead as much as possible. (easy to do that in switchbacks)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm really inclined to say that you got a hosed up tire somehow. I can't imagine your 150/70 023 was that much wider than my 150 PP. Did you try a different 150 on there to check it?

EDIT - Rubbing on exhaust cans is normal. All my dirtbikes did that, it never affected those knobbies.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 25, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

JP Money posted:

I'm really inclined to say that you got a hosed up tire somehow. I can't imagine your 150/70 023 was that much wider than my 150 PP. Did you try a different 150 on there to check it?

Stock tire was a 150 and the current street tire is a 150. After the 023 failed he put on an 003, which kind of annoys me because I paid more for the 023 that he assured me would be fine. I remember telling my wife the day I got the 023, "That tire looks so much beefier, I hope it doesn't rub!"

I haven't ridden the new 003 yet, I've been riding offroad a bit so I've left the dirt wheels on.

Edit: This is what my mechanic said:

Unnamed Shop posted:

Hi Nick - those pictures without a doubt show the tire rubbing on the exhaust under compression of the rear suspension. Larger than OE tire sizes occasionally do hit either the chain on the left, or the exhaust on the right, and it appears that is what happened in this case. Combined with your self-noted extremely hard riding on a "sport touring" tire... no tire failure that I can see, or that Bridgestone will cover. I will replace the tire for you since I had a part in putting the larger than OE size on. I will however only replace it with OE sizing now and in the future to avoid these problems.

Let me know when you would like to bring the wheel in. The next tire will not be a BT023 as they dont make the tire in a smaller size, so let me know if you have any ideas of a tire you would like to run. Thanks

I warned him I rode like a raped ape.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Stock is 140. Someone else put a 150 on there.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I was planning on getting a DRZ but reality is setting in and I'm not sure which SM to get for myself, the big problem I'm having is I'll use it for commuting (20 miles on the highway) on top of riding around parks. Any of you guys with experience able to point me the right way? I'm looking into a KTM right now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ashex posted:

I was planning on getting a DRZ but reality is setting in and I'm not sure which SM to get for myself, the big problem I'm having is I'll use it for commuting (20 miles on the highway) on top of riding around parks. Any of you guys with experience able to point me the right way? I'm looking into a KTM right now.

I've found that a good replacement seat goes a long way if you find your buns are hurting. Check out Renazco (expensive and with a long wait time, but best quality), Seat Concepts (relatively inexpensive and quick turnaround but you have to reupholster your seat (which isn't hard at all)), and Corbin (expensive, but should have a quick turnaround).

Other commuter supermoto concerns: luggage and tires.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

So, remember when my WR250 got wrecked.

It's got new life:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3252881861.html

The guy got it for $1800 from a salvage yard, put $1200 into it and is now selling it for $4500. He said he'd sell it back to me for $3500 but I know what that bike's been through (a wall pretty much) so I don't want it :haw:

Do you want a WR250R for $3500? It's been through an Alaska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you bent the exhaust out from the tire it probably would have been totally fine. Spacers on the exhaust mount are pretty common on sumos to keep the tire from getting trashed on the exhaust.

• Locked thread