Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goth Nurse
Jul 25, 2008

I <3 Peter Steele

Mizufusion posted:

Of course, it could also be the breed of cat. One of my exes had two cats, and I was completely miserable around them, even under heavy medication. Some other cats I can tolerate (not well, but enough) without any medication. :iiam:

Breed can be a big part of this. I have (and breed) Devon Rex cats and my badly allergic and asthmatic ex husband tolerated them well, and so have many guests too, and importantly, now my boyfriend. This is a very well tolerated breed for some strange reason.

You still have hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So this happened 15 seconds ago. I get a call on my phone, with the number coming up as "00000000000000". I pick it up and, from memory, have this conversation with a man of completely indeterminate accent.

Hello, is this (my name)?

Y-yes?

Hello, yes, I am calling to ask you a few questions about the upcoming election in Arizona. Is this okay?

...Okay.

Are you registered at this address?

What address?

The upcoming election in Arizona.

Yeah, you said that, what address are you talking about?

Excuse me?

You asked if I'm registered at this address.

Yes.

What address do you mean?

...the...the upcoming election in Arizona...

Yes, you said that. What are you asking?

...Excuse me, sir?

Okay. Let's back up. You're calling me to ask me about the upcoming election. You asked if I'm registered at this address. I am asking you what address you mean.

...the upcoming ele-...

Are you asking me if I'm registered to vote in the state of Arizona?

Yes, sir.

Yes. I am.

Thank you. Please be aware this call may be monitored for quality assurance.

Oh-ho, I hope it is.

How likely are you to vote in this election?

I probably won't.

....So, completely certain or somewhat certain?

You mean, how certain am I that I won't?

How certain you will. Completely certain?

I very likely won't.

...Completely certain, very certain, 50-50, (unintelligible mumbling)

What was that last one?

...50-50.

...Yes.

Thank you for your time, sir!

:pwn:

The reason I was harping on about the address thing is that I currently live in California despite being registered in Arizona, so I wanted to know what address they thought I lived at.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
Another one that just happened to me today.

I'm sitting at my desk in my room and I decide I want to get Taco Bell. So I grab my bike and ride through town.

I'm sticking along the front of the buildings that are alongside the main road near campus, to avoid hitting pedestrians, other riders, etc.

Suddenly, BAM!

A ditzy lady who I'd guess was in her late 20s/early 30s opens a door right in front of me, and knocks me off of my bike. Luckily I had seen the door opening right before I hit, so I had a second to grab the brakes, and there was no damage to anything other than a bruise for my shoulder and a scraped hand. She apologizes like crazy, and I keep telling her it's fine, I should have been paying attention, etc., etc., and move on.

I arrive at Taco Bell and purchase my glorious Volcano Burrito, and start riding home where I will eat it.

I'm riding alongside the buildings same as before, when suddenly, BAM!

I'm hit once again by a door, same as before, and I reacted the same as before as well, so again, no damage to anything other than some scrapes and bruises on me.

Here's the :wtc: part.

Same thing happened, at a different building on the same street, but I was hit by the EXACT SAME DITZY WOMAN AS BEFORE. I was hit off of my bike with a loving door by the same person twice in one evening. Even stranger, she didn't recognize me from twenty minutes prior.

Let me tell you guys, that burrito was the most delicious meal I've had in a long time. I could have DIED for that loving thing, twice, so I savored every bite.

Tailfnz has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Sep 19, 2012

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

My lungs don't work. Now it's time to sing!
You were hit by a building door opening? That's kind of one of the many reasons why you're not supposed to ride on the sidewalk. A bicycle is technically a vehicle, and should be ridden on roads or bike paths, not pedestrian walkways.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

beckyogg posted:

You were hit by a building door opening? That's kind of one of the many reasons why you're not supposed to ride on the sidewalk. A bicycle is technically a vehicle, and should be ridden on roads or bike paths, not pedestrian walkways.

That actually depends on state law (assuming your in the US). In my state, you can ride on the sidewalk as long as the city/neighborhood doesn't disallow it. But, if you're on the sidewalk, you obey pedestrian laws. If you ride on the street, you follow the rules of the road like cars do.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rocketlex's story reminded me of a few phone calls of my own. The first was an army recruiter, shortly after I graduated.

:v: Hello.
:patriot: Hello Mrs. Bastard, is Lizard there?
:v: This is he.

Yup! Mistaken for a middle-aged woman over the phone by an army recruiter. The rest of the call was unremarkable, but boy, I bet he felt awkward. The other call is when I was searching for a job in 2006. I'd seen a job that involved animals in the want ads, so I called the number.

:v: Hello, I'm calling about your want ad, said something about animals? What would that entail?
:bahgawd: I raise and breed tarantulas.
:v: Oh, is that so?
:bahgawd: Yeap. I've got a guy already, but I don't think he'll be around much longer.
:v: Okay thank you very much bye. :stare:

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

Tailfnz posted:

Another one that just happened to me today.

I'm sitting at my desk in my room and I decide I want to get Taco Bell. So I grab my bike and ride through town.

I'm sticking along the front of the buildings that are alongside the main road near campus, to avoid hitting pedestrians, other riders, etc.

Suddenly, BAM!

A ditzy lady who I'd guess was in her late 20s/early 30s opens a door right in front of me, and knocks me off of my bike. Luckily I had seen the door opening right before I hit, so I had a second to grab the brakes, and there was no damage to anything other than a bruise for my shoulder and a scraped hand. She apologizes like crazy, and I keep telling her it's fine, I should have been paying attention, etc., etc., and move on.

I arrive at Taco Bell and purchase my glorious Volcano Burrito, and start riding home where I will eat it.

I'm riding alongside the buildings same as before, when suddenly, BAM!

I'm hit once again by a door, same as before, and I reacted the same as before as well, so again, no damage to anything other than some scrapes and bruises on me.

Here's the :wtc: part.

Same thing happened, at a different building on the same street, but I was hit by the EXACT SAME DITZY WOMAN AS BEFORE. I was hit off of my bike with a loving door by the same person twice in one evening. Even stranger, she didn't recognize me from twenty minutes prior.

Let me tell you guys, that burrito was the most delicious meal I've had in a long time. I could have DIED for that loving thing, twice, so I savored every bite.

I've read this a few times, and I don't follow you. If she was inside the building and opening the door to get to the outside. How do you think she could have seen you, riding up against the building like you were? How is she ditzy? other then the fact that she is a female? The only way she could have seen you is if she would have opened the door poke her head out to look around the corner, and you still would have hit her because she had to open the door for that.

I'm really sorry but I cannot read this in any light other then, you are a misogynist that rides your bike in a dumb manner that causes you to get hurt by your own hand.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Unless he means her car door, I agree with you.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

Lap-Lem posted:

I've read this a few times, and I don't follow you. If she was inside the building and opening the door to get to the outside. How do you think she could have seen you, riding up against the building like you were? How is she ditzy? other then the fact that she is a female? The only way she could have seen you is if she would have opened the door poke her head out to look around the corner, and you still would have hit her because she had to open the door for that.

I'm really sorry but I cannot read this in any light other then, you are a misogynist that rides your bike in a dumb manner that causes you to get hurt by your own hand.

I didn't mean to imply that she was ditzy because she hit me with the door, it was the way she acted otherwise that made her appear that way to me, which I failed to mention for some reason. If I came across as misogynistic, it was not intended and I apologize if I happened to offend anybody. And yes, I am a loving moron for riding close enough to be hit by doors. There's no way she could have seen me coming. Thank you for reinforcing that I am, in fact, a complete dipshit. The point of the story was to come across at my own expense and explain the weirdness that the same person could have mistakenly hit me with a door twice in a span of 20 minutes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The fact that she didn't recognize you after hitting you with a door 20 minutes prior does lend some credibility to your story though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The doorbell went earlier and I answered it, it was somebody trying to sell charity:

Me: Hello?
Them: Hello, is your mummy or daddy home?

I'm 23 :suicide:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
When I was working the Wal-Mart service desk, I overheard this end of a cellphone conversation from a customer waiting in line:

"WHAT?!?!? Are you pregnant AGAIN, girl? What did I tell you would happen if you let him stick his dick in you?? Are you going to keep this one?"

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Nettle Soup posted:

The doorbell went earlier and I answered it, it was somebody trying to sell charity:

I got that once when I was in my 20s too. :( I'm on the tall side so I don't see how anyone could have mistaken me for a little kid.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Retail Slave posted:

When I was working the Wal-Mart service desk, I overheard this end of a cellphone conversation from a customer waiting in line:

"WHAT?!?!? Are you pregnant AGAIN, girl? What did I tell you would happen if you let him stick his dick in you?? Are you going to keep this one?"

That reminds me of the time I was in a random drug store in downtown Oakland and ended up in line behind a girl (she looked all of 16) clutching three pregnancy tests and two bottles of Jack.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

Tailfnz posted:

I didn't mean to imply that she was ditzy because she hit me with the door, it was the way she acted otherwise that made her appear that way to me, which I failed to mention for some reason. If I came across as misogynistic, it was not intended and I apologize if I happened to offend anybody. And yes, I am a loving moron for riding close enough to be hit by doors. There's no way she could have seen me coming. Thank you for reinforcing that I am, in fact, a complete dipshit. The point of the story was to come across at my own expense and explain the weirdness that the same person could have mistakenly hit me with a door twice in a span of 20 minutes.

Ok, I thought you were implying the WTF was her hitting you. I read you loud and clear now. You'd think a man nearly ending it right in front of you would be something that you remember.

raito
Sep 13, 2012
Was waiting at the bus stop and all of a sudden this herd of bronies starts running towards where I was standing. Some of them were holding up little dolls or stuffed ponies. I guess they came back from some kind of brony meeting or circlejerk or whatever it is bronies do.

Some of them were even dressed like ponies :wtc:

Then two minutes later, ANOTHER herd comes running, but this one comes from a local Japanese restaurant - I assume these bronies are also weaboos or something. But they started running in the street without regard for cars, waving around their little pony dolls.

Even more dressed like ponies that time :suicide:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
That reminds me of going to ComicCon Phoenix earlier this summer. It was probably the first "convention" I'd ever attended so I was really interested to see what it would be like.

Before we even get out of the loving parking garage I see two people in full fursuits helping each other into their costumes.

At the very least, that's what I'm going to assume they were doing.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Was there some kind of comic convention going on in Halifax, Nova Scotia on the fifteenth? I know there was a street fair uptown, but this happened down by the walkway along the harbor near the Beavertail stand. Anyway, my family and I were visiting the harbor that day when I spotted a couple in full Homestuck Troll regalia just sitting on a bench chatting.

Oh yeah, and in Halifax, there is a completely innocuous fried dough franchise called Beavertails. :downs:

E: I am a stupid American who thinks "Beaver-anything" is comedy gold and who also had several other stupid Americans assume that I had literally consumed a giant rodent's caudal appendage when recounting this story elsewhere. Whatever. I should mention they were delicious.

Rahonavis has a new favorite as of 06:22 on Sep 25, 2012

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

My lungs don't work. Now it's time to sing!

Rahonavis posted:

Oh yeah, and in Halifax, there is a completely innocuous fried dough franchise called Beavertails. :downs:

What is WTC about that? Beaver tails are simply a type of pastry, aren't they? I'm not sure what else you'd even be referencing.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Nettle Soup posted:

Hah.
I've had that happening to me a couple of times. While leaving in a flat as a student. Both alone and with a friend. In an area where the only residents are students.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Nettle Soup posted:

:ssh: It's a sales technique that is meant to flatter you and make you more receptive to their pitch. Similar to calling any woman over the age of 40 'young lady'.

Badger Pudding
Jan 11, 2007

My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary.

Rahonavis posted:

Was there some kind of comic convention going on in Halifax, Nova Scotia on the fifteenth? I know there was a street fair uptown, but this happened down by the walkway along the harbor near the Beavertail stand. Anyway, my family and I were visiting the harbor that day when I spotted a couple in full Homestuck Troll regalia just sitting on a bench chatting.

Hey now, I don't even like Beavertails and I'm very proud of them.

And I'm pretty sure they were probably part of the "Halistuck" cosplay community and trying out their costumes for Halcon that's coming up in October.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

cyberia posted:

:ssh: It's a sales technique that is meant to flatter you and make you more receptive to their pitch. Similar to calling any woman over the age of 40 'young lady'.

My husband and I bought our house when we were 25. We both got door to door people asking us if our parents were home when we would answer the door. It was pretty insulting.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Nettle Soup posted:

This more or less happened to me too, except it was with a waitress not much older than me asking if I wanted a kid's menu. :negative:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think I have you guys beat. On a walk through the city during election time, I and my girlfriend passed the local conservative party's info booth. A very old volunteer wanted to give us a pamphlet "to make sure your daughter's future is secure, sir."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I guess the fact that I didn't quite say :wtc: to this is a sign I'm getting used to seeing weird poo poo, but there's no "Post your moments of 'huh, okay'" thread.

I was pulling into a parking lot this morning and a young couple had just walked by on the sidewalk. As I'm getting off my bike I notice that the girl has a raccoon tail peeking out from under her skirt. 'Huh.' I think. Well, whatever. As I'm getting off my bike and locking it up I see them walk up to the door of an apartment and knock. There's a short conversation with someone inside the apartment and then a middle-aged woman in full wizard's robes comes out. They're still talking, starting to walk off together, when the woman turns and whistles. There's rustling in the bushes and a small child--I'd say between four and eight, it was hard to tell exactly--comes running out to join them. They all walk off together.

'Well.' I think. 'Okay, sure.' :geno:

Red Bart
Apr 12, 2007

Honor, gold, a man fights for what he lacks the most.
Fun Shoe
This happened to the fiancee of one of my friends. He was checking her in at the airport (she didn't speak the language) and the lady behind the counter asked whether the minor would be traveling alone. She was in her late twenties back then.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

My wife is two and a half years older than I am, but she looks younger than her age and I look older than mine. A few people have assumed she's my daughter. Awkward...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Yeah, I'm 27 and every time I go out someone calls the Lost Fetus Helpline 'cause I look THAT YOUNG.

Seriously, though, I got carded at an R-rated movie when I was 25 and holding hand with my husband, who definitely doesn't look like a teenager.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

bringmyfishback posted:

Yeah, I'm 27 and every time I go out someone calls the Lost Fetus Helpline 'cause I look THAT YOUNG.

Seriously, though, I got carded at an R-rated movie when I was 25 and holding hand with my husband, who definitely doesn't look like a teenager.

They probably thought he was your dad. :stonk:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bringmyfishback posted:

Perfect setup for a practical joke.

Have him kiss you, then you go "ewww, dad!".

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008
When we first moved to KY, we moved to a very small, middle-of-nowhere town that shall remain nameless. We weren't sure if we wanted to live there or not, so we rented a house. In that town, renting a house = you will live next to some scary people.

The neighbors weren't THAT bad. Pretty stereotypical 40 something mom with a pregnant 17 year old daughter, a 13 year old boy, and an ex-con husband (not the father of the children). The boy, we'll call him John, was your typical redneck kid. Everything about him was camouflage and/or John Deer related. Nice kid. Chubby. Mowed our yard.

One morning one of our dogs was crying to go outside. It was about 5:30am. I take him out on a leash in the backyard. Behind our house was a railroad track. Beyond that was a bunch of warehouses. I'm standing in the yard waiting for the dog to do his business. it's dark. I see some movement behind the railroad tracks. Somebody is walking across and towards me. Whoa...it's little John. He's wearing bib overalls with nothing underneath. The overalls were SKIN tight. Chub is just flowing out of every cranny. Oh, and to top it off, he has cut the legs off the overalls. They're cut so high, his rear end is basically hanging out. And he has cowboy boots on.

So, picture this fat 13 year old boy, basically wearing some kind of ... I don't know what the hell you would call it. Super revealing farmgirl outfit? Just me and him, standing in the yard. Me: "...John?" John just stops, stares, and then quickly walks on into his house.

I'm baffled. Tell the wife. None of it makes sense. Why was he over there at 5:30 in the morning? Why was he dressed that way? What the hell is fatty cakes John up to?

Shortly after that, he was picked up by the cops. John took his mom's car for a joy ride in the middle of the night. When the cops stopped him and pulled him over, John got out and attacked the cop. John was wearing women's panties, makeup... and that was it.

We moved shortly after that and I have no idea what happened to John. Obviously he had some issues he was dealing with. I hope he made it out of that town okay and his life wasn't completely ruined by that incident.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

CRINDY posted:

It's a real WTC for me just because the disease is so hosed that it robs people of memories and habits they've had all their lives. Seriously, she's been addicted to the cancer sticks for longer than the average American has been alive, and then POOF! She's done. Doesn't miss them, doesn't care. Despite the sheer terror this gives me, seeing as I may be in her place soon (my mom's already showing minor signs, which implies I'm next in line to forget how to breathe, woo!), it's also positive, as she'll definitely last longer on this planet with clear lungs. I didn't hear her hack or cough at all today, which is the first time in my life I've been able to say that about her.

The blend of :3: and :( is where the :wtc: kicks in for me. Like, getting to spend more happy useful time with someone you love is pretty much the definition of :3:, but at the same time the thing giving you that time is also a gun pointed right at you. :wtc:

edit: crap in a hat, I didnt realize the thread has moved on so much. Guess I better post something worth reading~!

We had pulled into the phillipines a while back. It took me less than an hour for me to be propositioned for prostitution. That in and of itself was slightly :wtf:, and I hoped that nothing would top it. Oh, how naive I was.

We ended up hiring a taxi to drive us around all day, for which we paid a total of 1000 pisos, which at the time was around 20 USD. 5 of us got carted around all day for $20. Cue :wtc: #2 as I learn to love exchange rates. Later that night, the cool chilled out older dude driving us around starts asking if we want to get some hookers. At this point, the WTC has worn off, since streetwalkers (of varying levels of attractiveness) have asked us the same, with varying levels of tact. What really brought it home was who he was offering up for our sexual pleasures.

He flat out asked us of we wanted to gently caress his sister. We said no. He then offered his wife. We again refused. Then, and I swear to god this made me just as sad as weirded out, he offered up his daughter. Who he had previously mentioned was 14. Selling price? 3000 pisos. For his underage, probably unwilling daughter.

:wtc::wtc::wtc:

edit#2: before anyone asks, obviously no I did not gently caress an underage, unwilling prostitute.

grumplestiltzkin has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Sep 29, 2012

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Ugh, I've had guys trying to pick me up as a prostitute since I was like 10. In suburban Delaware. All my other girl friends too.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Three stories to share:

I used to go camping on weekend visitations with my biodad. It was fun enough, but my biodad is kind of a dick so not really. As we set up camp and get ready to sleep, I fix my dad many glasses of whiskey, and he's not a big man. Drunk and tired, he collapses in his tent.

It's misting a bit, but we're not really used to rain in SoCal, so no one thinks anything of it. As we're laying in our sleeping bags, it starts to pour- obviously. In SoCal deserts, the rain is totally insane- heavy, hard, and fast. Our tents are flooded in fewer than five minutes in the sudden deluge. Biodad is shouting, screaming, "Pack everything into the car, go, go, go!" In the rain and the mud and the flooding, we eventually get most of our gear into the car.

Then us kids pile in and realize, quite suddenly, that Dad is drunk, and behind the wheel. But no one wants to say anything. The drive out of the camp site is truly terrifying, and we end up at a completely unfamiliar house where Dad introduces us to a completely unfamiliar woman.

Keep in mind, my dad? Not divorced. Still married to my stepmom.

We spent the rest of the evening in front of this woman's barren fireplace, shivering in our wet clothes while my dad drunkenly hosed her upstairs loud enough for us to hear her screaming, "gently caress ME! gently caress ME!" and my dad's creepy, enthusiastic grunts and cries of, "TAKE IT BITCH!" :D Awesome!

Worst. Camping. Trip. Ever.

Story 2.

Actually, this is the worst. A little shorter, too. Another, later desert camping trip. I wake up on a very, very dry morning with my eyes almost completely swollen shut. Tired, confused and alarmed, I scramble clumsily out of the tent and head for the camp ground's bathroom to inspect my eyes. I've never had pinkeye or anything before, and I was PRETTY sure my sister hadn't farted bare-assed on my camp pillow. In the bathroom, I look in the mirror, prying my eyelids apart.

I see small, black things in my eye, about the size of pepitas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepita

They're nestled in my upper and lower eyelids. A little weirded out, I grab a hairpin from my hair and use it to scrape one of them out. It sticks wetly to the hairpin and I can see them... the little legs, wriggling.

Between both of my eyes were about sixteen or eighteen tiny, flat black beetles. All of them were alive.

I guess they were thirsty :downs:

Story 3.

This happened just today, actually.

I'm a tech person at my school, working for Classroom Technology Services. Today and yesterday I did tech support, set up, and take down for a biodiversity conference at the school.

After each keynote speaker is a time for questions, with a mic set up in the middle of the room. Now, when you set up a mic for anyone to use, you have to expect there will be an unstable person in the vicinity, just waiting to unleash upon the world the kooky poo poo they have rattling around in their brains.

And they show up everywhere, apparently even at a biodiversity conference, after a speech about microbes.

A few people ask (what I assume, I'm an English major) are some standard questions after a fairly dense talk about microbes. And then Ponytail gets up to the mic. I call him ponytail because he is a grown man with his head mostly shaved, except for a strip of hair pulled back into a ponytail. He's been kind of weird and twitchy all morning during the talk, nodding a lot and fidgeting in his seat, but whatever. It's an hour long, and it's normal to shift around.

Apparently not. He gets up, lets down his hair, and begins to ask the most insane question I've ever heard. I will try to detail it here, but I don't have eidetic memory- luckily, there should eventually be a video online somewhere of the whole conference, so I will totally try to find it.

So without further ado, Ponytail's insane question:

"It's been brought to my attention, I had the privilege of being introduced to a lupey (loopy? I don't know), a living dead being kept alive by microbes. She was mentally ill, but still in full control over here family, the lupey. It's been brought to my attention that this is related to the role of gays, lesbians and transgenders in our society that it's been brought to my attention that vampiric microbes are- in I Am Legend it was brought to my attention in the 80's that the lupey- the vampiric microbes can keep people alive-"

Speaker: "Well, um, we're all kept alive by microbes v:shobon:v"

"It was brought to my attention that these vampiric microbes- I can't find anything, on the internet- I attended a talk in the 80's and I can't find anything else on them."

Speaker: "... I will look into that! Next question!"

He actually sat down afterwards, seemingly satisfied.

I saw him later, wearing an orange Volunteer vest. Crazy motherfucker was with the conference staff :wtc:

Red Bart
Apr 12, 2007

Honor, gold, a man fights for what he lacks the most.
Fun Shoe

Haymaker_Betty posted:

So without further ado, Ponytail's insane question:
:words:

That sounds an awful lot like schizophrenia.

Your biodad sounds like an rear end in a top hat. I'd say "no offense" but I assume that none is taken anyway.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Red Bart posted:

That sounds an awful lot like schizophrenia.

Your biodad sounds like an rear end in a top hat. I'd say "no offense" but I assume that none is taken anyway.

That is perfectly possible, but he seemed so lucid when I saw him next :stare:

Yes, my biodad is an rear end in a top hat- usually I call him "sperm donor" :/

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Red Bart posted:

This happened to the fiancee of one of my friends. He was checking her in at the airport (she didn't speak the language) and the lady behind the counter asked whether the minor would be traveling alone. She was in her late twenties back then.

Hah! I look stupidly young. I once got on a plane and a stewardess asked me, "Are you an unaccompanied minor?"

I was 21 at the time.

More awkward than :wtc:, though.

An observer has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Oct 1, 2012

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Haymaker_Betty posted:

I call him ponytail because he is a grown man with his head mostly shaved, except for a strip of hair pulled back into a ponytail. He's been kind of weird and twitchy all morning during the talk, nodding a lot and fidgeting in his seat, but whatever. It's an hour long, and it's normal to shift around.

Sounds like you had a close encounter of the Goodkind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well, this one isn't THAT big of a "what" moment, but I skimmed the LP of Grandia 2 today and clicked on the character skill animation links when I thought that one of the characters, Roan, sounded a little like Moomin from the 1990s cartoon.

They weren't the same person, but according to IDMB, the voice actress for Roan has an extensive portfolio in animated VA work, but also... well, see for yourself: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0911389/ :stare:

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Oct 3, 2012

• Locked thread