Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
So to summarise, Gamzee is talking to a guy who serves LE and going along with his plans to serve LE and wearing a codpiece that is somehow of benefit to LE and preventing Calliope from knowing anything about LE... but we still don't have any idea what his agenda is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I just feel bad for Mituna. Everyone ignored him and he still gave his sanity for the team. And since, they still ignore him, because he's unpleasant to be around. :(

Plus he's may be being manipulated by the sinister minions of LE.

attackbunny posted:

So to summarise, Gamzee is talking to a guy who serves LE and going along with his plans to serve LE and wearing a codpiece that is somehow of benefit to LE and preventing Calliope from knowing anything about LE... but we still don't have any idea what his agenda is?

Basically. Gamzee is the wildcard. We won't know his agenda until the very end of the comic, I think.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Well, we established in the last flash that LE has some Voldemort thing going on with his name, so by saying it summons him in a sense.

One interesting bit to Kurloz's speech was mentioning that English was awaiting Gamzee's "service and tutelage", which if taken literally could confirm fan theories that Gamzee somehow raises Caliborn.

Not gona happen but this funny thing popped into my head.

"i trained him wrong
AS A MOTHERFUCKING JOKE
honk
HONK"

Also I like how Hussie is hinting at several different characters all being The One Who Kills English.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 24, 2012

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

attackbunny posted:

Pretty much. I would suspect he's working for LE, but things are rarely that simple.

Also, I said it before (albeit spoiler-tagged due to no general release), but having now played again, I repeat: jesus christ, Cronus, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

(edit: Oh hey, page 612. Glad to see we don't go as batshit over such numbers as MSPAF tended to back when I still went there.)

JessKay fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 24, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Also I like how Hussie is hinting at several different characters all being The One Who Kills English.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that "defeating" LE would be as simple as Roxy calling out Calliope's name in distress when LE is beating the poo poo out of the Kids + Trolls, which makes Calliope take over LE's body. All of the hints that "x will defeat LE" would just be red herrings, which fits Homestuck pretty well.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

closeted republican posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see that "defeating" LE would be as simple as Roxy calling out Calliope's name in distress when LE is beating the poo poo out of the Kids + Trolls, which makes Calliope take over LE's body. All of the hints that "x will defeat LE" would just be red herrings, which fits Homestuck pretty well.

We get a bunch of sequential flashes each individually showing Dave, Karkat, Jake, Meenah, John, and Spades Slick dramatically posing and readying their weapons to face down Lord English...

Then Roxy pops up from out of nowhere and screams "CALLIOPE PLZ COME OUT UR BEATUFUL GURL" and that's it. Everyone just sulks off.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Maybe it's because I took the time to actually figure out all the horrible things he was saying, but I took an immediate dislike to Mituna. He does say some really, really nasty things.

But then I had that conversation with Cronus and Jesus Christ I just felt so loving bad for him. The way he switched from molesting him while explaining that he liked molesting him because he couldn't communicate the abuse to others, to just ruthlessly tearing into the poor guy for something he didn't do, and was ultimately Cronus' own fault... and all the while Mituna was apologizing, uncomprehendingly. The horrific cruelty left me feeling pretty drat close to tears.

Homestuck often plays with intense negative emotions as part of its humor, but holy poo poo was that loving horrible to read.

It's fantastic.

These Meenah walkabout updates have been absolutely incredible. Some of the best pages so far in all of Homestuck, no doubt.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kurloz is... Holy poo poo. I wasn't expecting THAT. Good grief, he's got Mituna and Meulin under loving thrall, I can't imagine Latula is free of his influence either...

I wonder if he's got something going on with Zahhak? I mean, who better to help hide poo poo than a Void player, right? I really hope not, but I guess we'll see.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I didn't see any mention of this, but Terezi-- could she (and Dave and everyone else there) be dead? It seemed really spooky that she had the dragon hood on and didn't want to lift it. I couldn't help but think it might be to hide her pupil-less eyes. Maybe it's a beta Terezi, even? I dunno, she seemed to be really cagey about talking about Dave, but she was talking to Karkat so either way it makes sense.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Interesting thought.

I must say though, my above comments notwithstanding, Cronus one of the slimiest characters I've encountered in any fiction. He probably has LE/Caliborn beat, and that's motherfucking saying something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Eiba posted:

Maybe it's because I took the time to actually figure out all the horrible things he was saying, but I took an immediate dislike to Mituna. He does say some really, really nasty things.

But then I had that conversation with Cronus and Jesus Christ I just felt so loving bad for him. The way he switched from molesting him while explaining that he liked molesting him because he couldn't communicate the abuse to others, to just ruthlessly tearing into the poor guy for something he didn't do, and was ultimately Cronus' own fault... and all the while Mituna was apologizing, uncomprehendingly. The horrific cruelty left me feeling pretty drat close to tears.

Homestuck often plays with intense negative emotions as part of its humor, but holy poo poo was that loving horrible to read.

It's fantastic.

These Meenah walkabout updates have been absolutely incredible. Some of the best pages so far in all of Homestuck, no doubt.

Speaking of, can I check with someone how I'm meant to understand Mituna's typing quirk? It's a hard one, but I think it's major letters-to-numbers 1337-speak combined with a lisp, and a tendency to say just completely meaningless sounds.

Have to be honest, I'm very glad he's not saying much of importance.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Ah, page 612. The last significantly homestucky page we'll hit 'til the new thread. Or page 1025 and 1111 I guess. But who's counting?

Perfect opportunity to once again offer up services and say if anyone would like some kind of avatar from the latest flash, let me know.

I'm really excited to make the most spaztastic Mituna avatar in existence.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 24, 2012

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gotta say, Cronus's comeback at Meenah concerning mistreating Mituna actually cements that she's really not as bad as him; she has the decency to admit (at least to herself, really can't remember right now if she said it out loud) that her alternate-self mistreating alt-Mituna is a horrible thing, whereas Cronus really doesn't think he's doing anything wrong. And is a horrifying bastard because of it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It's really quite funny to me that Karkat, the loud shouty rear end in a top hat, is really a much better, kinder person than Kankri. Despite his anger, he really does care about his friends.

Also, Meenah's crush on him is pretty adorable. Her idea of a 'date' is going to fight an invincible destroyer of universes together!

Edit: ^^^ In this flash, I got the feeling that Meenah is a far, far better person than the Condesce. Mituna...would be a hard guy to deal with, and you can see that my Meenah's standards she's being downright understanding with him. She seemed a lot angrier with Cronus than she ever got with Mituna.

Slime fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 24, 2012

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of, can I check with someone how I'm meant to understand Mituna's typing quirk? It's a hard one, but I think it's major letters-to-numbers 1337-speak combined with a lisp, and a tendency to say just completely meaningless sounds.
It's pretty much this, but to top it all off his text is absolutely dominated by typos, so even if you're meticulous you can't just decode what he's saying. You kind of have to just look at the word and feel it. I don't think anything he says is just meaningless sound, though. He has a lot of creative portmanteaus of different slurs that aren't real words, but you can see where he's coming from. Mostly. I did give up on a few disturbingly random strings of characters.

I have to say, I'm really impressed by Hussie. His typing quirk is calculated to be as obtuse and infuriating as conceivable, and he says the most crass loathsome things in the least witty way, leaving him a hollow shell of bile and idiocy...

And you're left feeling an overwhelming compassion for him not five minutes later after his conversation with Cronus, and even his abuse at the hands of Kankri.

Possibly the quickest most intense turnaround from horrible to lovable Hussie has managed yet.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of Mituna's uncontrollable cursing and the garbling of his words, what "racial slur" did he call Meenah? A "wader"? Would that be like a water-dweller that acts like a land-dweller? Kinda like a (to pick the least harmful slur I can think of) a "twinkie" is a slur for an asian guy who acts white?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
D'aw, Karkat and Meenah goin' on a date. :3:

:black101:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Argh, I just noticed this. Kurloz sewed his mouth shut and chewed his tongue off. So how is he talking? :stonk: (Also, the meme he throws out before controlling Meulin? It's David Tennant as Doctor Who - a Time Lord.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cronus is a good example of how the Beforians, in contrast to the Alternians, tend to be more caricature than character. Both he and Eridan are slimy arrogant sociopathic morons who can't see others as anything but sex objects and/or rivals, seemingly incapable of penitence, going around doing awful things and betraying misplaced trust. Eridan, though, was portrayed with some sympathy; he was stylish, powerful, confident, uninhibited, ambitious; you could feel his frustration just as plainly as you could see that all of his problems were his own fault and richly deserved. A certain crazy fan segment related to him on the basis that everybody hated him and he couldn't understand why (and who hasn't been there???), made possible by the few times we got to see what it was like to be him and to want what he wanted. Cronus, on the other hand, is a mere grotesque. We haven't seen, and probably will not see, what it means to be Cronus; we won't be made to feel what it's like to want what he wants (thankfully). Cronus won't be moved along by the trajectory of the story to a point where he has a chance to show how he's changed, for better or for worse (remember that in Eridan's case it was for worse). If he were alive, maybe there would be time to show what sets him along the path from small-time sex offender to big-shot slave trader, or what drives him to try to express himself through music, or even explain why he thought he had a chance with anybody, but dead characters don't change or grow, and Meenah's not going to put up with having to be him any longer during her dream quest.

It's not likely to happen, but I'd like to see what Mituna was like before he burned out his brain.

Unrelated: where the hell has Sollux been all this time? Wasn't he going to help Aradia out with all her afterlife guide stuff? Aren't we even going to see somebody remark how weird it is that he's a half-ghost? I'm kind of worried for the guy.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Now that I have a Meulin avatar I feel compelled to post only with lovely tumblr reaction gifs. Unfortunately that would get me probated/banned in pretty short order so I will have to resist the urge.

Instead you can have a bunch of sprite gifs from the update courtesy of some tumblr poster.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Potsticker posted:

I didn't see any mention of this, but Terezi-- could she (and Dave and everyone else there) be dead? It seemed really spooky that she had the dragon hood on and didn't want to lift it. I couldn't help but think it might be to hide her pupil-less eyes. Maybe it's a beta Terezi, even? I dunno, she seemed to be really cagey about talking about Dave, but she was talking to Karkat so either way it makes sense.

Wouldn't need to show her with her hood down in that case because she would just be covering them up with her glasses like she does anyway. So, I doubt it.

Eiba posted:

Possibly the quickest most intense turnaround from horrible to lovable Hussie has managed yet.

Man I don't know what you're talking about, he was lovable from that very first conversation with Meenah.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The Codpiece transfer made me realize something.
We have seen Gamzee in a god-tier outfit, but he did not have wings.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006728

The god-tier bard sketch posted on tumblr did, though.
http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/16726251374/when-someone-peeking-over-your-shoulder-asks-you

Now, it is possible for a god-tier troll to hide their wings, as we have seen with Vriska, Meenah, and Aranea, but those appearances along with some of the dialogue in the walkaround seems to imply this simply consists of wearing regular clothes on top of the wings, and not making them disappear outright. There haven't been any cases of hiding god-tier wings while wearing a god-tier outfit, but that doesn't neccessarily mean it's impossible to do so.

Still, I'd say this supports the "Gamzee is'nt actually god-tier" theory pretty well.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Bongo Bill posted:

Cronus is a good example of how the Beforians, in contrast to the Alternians, tend to be more caricature than character. Both he and Eridan are slimy arrogant sociopathic morons who can't see others as anything but sex objects and/or rivals, seemingly incapable of penitence, going around doing awful things and betraying misplaced trust. Eridan, though, was portrayed with some sympathy; he was stylish, powerful, confident, uninhibited, ambitious; you could feel his frustration just as plainly as you could see that all of his problems were his own fault and richly deserved. A certain crazy fan segment related to him on the basis that everybody hated him and he couldn't understand why (and who hasn't been there???), made possible by the few times we got to see what it was like to be him and to want what he wanted. Cronus, on the other hand, is a mere grotesque. We haven't seen, and probably will not see, what it means to be Cronus; we won't be made to feel what it's like to want what he wants (thankfully). Cronus won't be moved along by the trajectory of the story to a point where he has a chance to show how he's changed, for better or for worse (remember that in Eridan's case it was for worse). If he were alive, maybe there would be time to show what sets him along the path from small-time sex offender to big-shot slave trader, or what drives him to try to express himself through music, or even explain why he thought he had a chance with anybody, but dead characters don't change or grow, and Meenah's not going to put up with having to be him any longer during her dream quest.

It's not likely to happen, but I'd like to see what Mituna was like before he burned out his brain.

Unrelated: where the hell has Sollux been all this time? Wasn't he going to help Aradia out with all her afterlife guide stuff? Aren't we even going to see somebody remark how weird it is that he's a half-ghost? I'm kind of worried for the guy.
The biggest reason I feel sorry for Eridan is that he could change for the better and grow as a person but the deck was completely stacked against him. Remember Beta Eridan? He became god tier, reconciled with Feferi, and presumably didn't go on a murderous rampage but because he had the audacity to go against Paradox Space's master plan he was relegated first to a beta timeline then to the dream bubbles. In the end Eridan was checkmated from the first move and only got to decide how he lost.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Wait-wait-wait, is Cronus a fuckin' PUA!?

We can but hope that Eridan meets him, realizes his sins, and commits ghost-murder-suicide.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I have never appreciated Eridan as a character until seeing Cronus. Jesus loving Christ.

quote:

PCA: its not like im doin anythin right noww
CCG: LIKE gently caress YOU AREN'T
PCA: wwhats that mean
CCG: YOU'RE KILLING ANGELS NOW, AREN'T YOU
PCA: no
CCG: YOU ARE KILLING loving ANGELS, RIGHT NOW, IN THE PAST, WITH YOUR lovely GUN. I JUST KNOW IT.
PCA: wwell uh
PCA: therere just so drat many kar and theyre not gettin any less bloody pissed is the thing

:3:

Also, holy gently caress Kurloz :stonk:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As adorabloodthirsty as a Karkat/Meenah date/murderspree would be, either the meteor will never go through a dream bubble with her in it again or Karkat will have a change of heart and not want to leave his friends. It's somewhat ironic/sad that despite giving good advice to Terezi about self-esteem, he probably suffers from the most genuine self-esteem problems out of the whole cast.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
With everyone talking about how Kurloz is controlling Meulin, I gotta point out that may not be the case.

In Areana's exposition booth she mentions that her and Kurloz were very close and that even after the accident that deafened her they remained close. She also mentions that she has suspicions that Meulin is part of the clown religion since she has mentioned little tidbits of dogma outside of conversation with Kurloz. So I'm thinking she's not just a sleeper agent.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Crain posted:

With everyone talking about how Kurloz is controlling Meulin, I gotta point out that may not be the case.

In Areana's exposition booth she mentions that her and Kurloz were very close and that even after the accident that deafened her they remained close. She also mentions that she has suspicions that Meulin is part of the clown religion since she has mentioned little tidbits of dogma outside of conversation with Kurloz. So I'm thinking she's not just a sleeper agent.

I had the same thought, but Kurloz definitely has some kind of mind control going on (notice how she doesn't remember what they were talking about immediately afterwards), so even if Meulin buys into the religious angle she's probably not knowingly working for LE.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Crain posted:

That's certainly plausible, but given her reaction to the flashy-eyes conversattion between her and Kurloz, she seems to have no recollection of when she's in that state. I think a more likely explanation is that the bits of dogma she's mentioning are just subconscious things (caused by being exposed to Kurloz and/or his control so often) that tend to surface from time to time. Sort of like Frogradia's ribbits or dog-tier Jade's woofs. It's hard to tell though since we don't know the full extent of her and Kurloz's relationship.

It's also possible that she just plays along with it because she's his friend and wants to share his interests, even though she doesn't fully understand the extent of it.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Man, these walkaround updates have kind of blown me away. As if Homestuck wasn't already huge and epic enough, we get 10 more characters that are all entertaining and clearly (if briefly) developed. I mean, I was sure we would get a glimpse of the non-Meena/Aranea pre-scratch trolls at most, cause there was no way Hussie could pull it off, right?

At this point I half expect there to be a segment of 48 pages in a row, each introducing a new squiddle and making us love or hate them in just a few sentences each :v:.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

WAR FOOT posted:

I fixed the glaring mistake in your post. :colbert:

He'd be the best if I could actually read anything he says. :sigh:

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

cathead posted:

That's certainly plausible, but given her reaction to the flashy-eyes conversattion between her and Kurloz, she seems to have no recollection of when she's in that state.

One guess as to what I accidently read that as consitering the avatar and what just came out

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So who's left to go then for the third walkaround? Darkleer and the Summoner as the two pre-scratch trolls, anyone else? Sollux might show up seeing as Aradia already did and he seems to be able to move between dream bubbles too, and we might see Dave and Rose again so we can be Dave this time.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

So who's left to go then for the third walkaround? Darkleer and the Summoner as the two pre-scratch trolls, anyone else? Sollux might show up seeing as Aradia already did and he seems to be able to move between dream bubbles too, and we might see Dave and Rose again so we can be Dave this time.

We still have Damara Megido to officially meet as well. She's only been mentioned thus far.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Midnight Raider posted:

-Maybe it's like the dreamself thing, where injuries that you come to sort of associate with yourself really strongly might persist in your alternate forms. Like how Terezi remained blind, but Vriska and Tavros's dreamselves and deadselves didn't have their injuries. (Which could possibly imply that some part of Mituna either really accepts or kind of likes his new "condition".)
Or he's too damaged to be able to think of himself as healed? :smith:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
According to Xamag, who just posted her art assets, no one on the art team wanted to draw Cronus :allears:

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Don't get me wrong, I loathe Cronus like every other sentient creature does, but there's something dreadfully amusing to me about how the incredibly slimy privilege-denying dude is also a disillusioned alien Harry Potter.

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 24, 2012

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but were Mituna's dialogue boxes supposed to look like 4chan/imageboard posts? The blue color combined with his yellow along with the checkbox in the upper left sure made it seem that way.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So Mituna knows a lot about what will doom the party it seems. If LE is necessary for the realms, then him not existing would doom them all. I think that Mituna, at least in the afterlife, is loving with Kurloz. Making him think he is still retarded even after death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Given the way his last scene ended, John could be there too.