Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have a friend who has never had real Italian food before, only terrible Asian versions of it. I'd like to do one northern and one southern dish but I don't really know anything about northern Italian food. What are some good basic dishes? I'll probably do something seafood and tomato for the southern one so a contrast would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grand Fromage posted:

I have a friend who has never had real Italian food before, only terrible Asian versions of it. I'd like to do one northern and one southern dish but I don't really know anything about northern Italian food. What are some good basic dishes? I'll probably do something seafood and tomato for the southern one so a contrast would be nice.

It's not that far North, but you can't go wrong with a good carbonara.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
when an American recepy says Swiss cheese, what kind of cheese is it? Gruyère? Emmentaler? Appenzeller?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Boner Slam posted:

Emmentaler?

This one.

I was thinking more meat-based instead of pasta since the other one will have that. Also I can't get pancetta or guanciale here and I've never been happy with just using bacon in carbonara. Something that cooks quick like that is good though, I'm exchanging Italian knowledge for Cantonese so it's best if she can watch. :chef:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It's not strictly meat based, but I think a risotto would be very easy to teach someone and also very delicious. If you can get the risotto rice there (arborio/carnoroli are the common ones), you just need to make a good stock and it'll be great. IMO, the stock will make or break a risotto, so it's kind of meat based in a sense. You could serve it with some roasted chicken to make it more of a complete meal.

Edit: Oh, and thanks for all the advice about my mystery vegetable. It sounds like it might be good in a soup context, so I'll try making some thai curry type of thing with it, since a coconut milk based curry was suggested.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 22, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So I had some red beans and rice simmering the other day and I fell asleep and it burnt the hell out of the bottom of the pot and the rest got kind of dry... any idea how I could fix this? I was using beer and broth for the liquid

use a kitchen timer for anything you walk away from

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

This one.

I was thinking more meat-based instead of pasta since the other one will have that. Also I can't get pancetta or guanciale here and I've never been happy with just using bacon in carbonara. Something that cooks quick like that is good though, I'm exchanging Italian knowledge for Cantonese so it's best if she can watch. :chef:

Maybe veal chops milanese? Or polenta with shirred eggs?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hello,
I would like to request a vegan penang curry recipe. I tried this recipe: http://thaifood.about.com/od/thairecipes/r/penangcurry.htm using tofu instead of chicken and saltwater instead of fish sauce. It turned out okay but not great. Is it because of my substitutions?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Is there a good replacement for Rotel? I've searched all the nearby grocery stores and I havent been able to find any since I moved.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'd bet the absence of fish sauce did lessen the flavor a bit. Vegetarian "fish sauce" does exist, I saw it a few days ago at the store, but it might not be common. Most of the pre-made curry pastes contain both fish sauce and shrimp paste, but I think some are vegetarian. The one I bought a few days ago, Maesri brand, didn't have any animal products listed and it tasted good in the end. An Amazon search suggests their Panang paste is also free of animal products, although you'd probably want to read the label to confirm that. I'd say if you want to make it again, just buy some pre-made vegetarian friendly curry paste and some vegetarian fish sauce and it might be better. But those might be hard to find. Subbing in tofu for chicken wouldn't affect the flavor that much.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
How many (milli)grams of salt are there in typical baking measurements, e.g. 1 tsp? I don't need a precise number, but since I'm supposed to be limiting sodium I'd like to know what to expect in a recipe I make.

Are there any surprise sources of salt or sodium in common scratch baking ingredients other than, you know, salt?

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Lex Kramer posted:

Hello,
I would like to request a vegan penang curry recipe. I tried this recipe: http://thaifood.about.com/od/thairecipes/r/penangcurry.htm using tofu instead of chicken and saltwater instead of fish sauce. It turned out okay but not great. Is it because of my substitutions?

Did you follow the recipe to the letter excluding the subs that you mentioned (because I doubt you used shrimp paste)? I'm pretty sure that is just a bad recipe, dude. Subbing galangal for ginger is common, if incorrect, but the idea of bay leaves as a substitute for kaffir lime leaves :stare: A vast amount of those ingredients just don't belong in a thai curry.

Why are you trying to make Panang curry vegan? Vegan omissions and substitutions don't work for thai curries in my opinion. Fish sauce and shrimp paste add such a deep funkiness to the dish that you can't really imitate. Curry means a lot of different things in different regions. There are a poo poo ton of vegetarian (and presumably vegan) curries out there. I found this recipe recently and thought it looked good. There is some flavor overlap between this and panang curry, even if it is quite different.

I love that you specify "saltwater" too. Like, off to the side, did you dissolve the salt into a bowl and spoon out 2T?

EDIT: vvv the first thing I did when I got my mortar and pestle was to buy a bunch of whole spices. I used to shrug it off when people claimed the flavor difference compared to pre-ground but it really is huge.

pogothemonkey0 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 23, 2012

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Knockknees posted:

What is the first thing I should do with my new mortar and pestle? I already have (I'll admit it) dry powder versions of most of the spices I use regularly. Is there something cool with herbs or something I can do? It seemed like a cool purchase at the time that I could use for everything, and now I'm at a loss.

Try grindig cumin seeds with it instead of using pre-ground. It makes an amazing difference. Also try making Thai curry paste (this takes some work). Basically, you can use it for most anything.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Base Emitter posted:

How many (milli)grams of salt are there in typical baking measurements, e.g. 1 tsp? I don't need a precise number, but since I'm supposed to be limiting sodium I'd like to know what to expect in a recipe I make.

Are there any surprise sources of salt or sodium in common scratch baking ingredients other than, you know, salt?

According to my container of salt, 1 tsp is ~2400mg of sodium.

Flours and sugars shouldn't have salt in them.

Salted butter will (obviously) contain salt in it, so buy unsalted butter for baking.

Eggs do contain some sodium, but the numbers I'm finding are so wildly different I'm not sure what to tell you there. One said over 300mg for 1 egg! Another said sub-100mg for 1 egg and most of it is in the yolk.

Baking soda (sodium carbonate) and powder (some other sodium stuff) will have sodium, but I don't know the nutritional implications of that.

Chocolate may have salt in it, I'd imagine it'll vary by brand.

To sum this up, I'd do some research on eggs and baking soda, but I can't think of anything else that's a hidden sodium bomb in baking.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenchrono posted:

Is there a good replacement for Rotel? I've searched all the nearby grocery stores and I havent been able to find any since I moved.

Diced tomatoes plus some diced chile's, probably jalapeno. Or hotter, it's up to you!

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Eeyo posted:

According to my container of salt, 1 tsp is ~2400mg of sodium.

Flours and sugars shouldn't have salt in them.

Salted butter will (obviously) contain salt in it, so buy unsalted butter for baking.

Eggs do contain some sodium, but the numbers I'm finding are so wildly different I'm not sure what to tell you there. One said over 300mg for 1 egg! Another said sub-100mg for 1 egg and most of it is in the yolk.

Baking soda (sodium carbonate) and powder (some other sodium stuff) will have sodium, but I don't know the nutritional implications of that.

Chocolate may have salt in it, I'd imagine it'll vary by brand.

To sum this up, I'd do some research on eggs and baking soda, but I can't think of anything else that's a hidden sodium bomb in baking.

Thanks. 2400mg is quite a bit for my purposes, so that'll be something to watch out for. I forgot about soda. If I recall correctly, baking powder is soda plus more stuff, so that's going to be something to check. So far as I know, sodium is sodium (I think any sodium salt will produce sodium ions in solution).

I remembered butter after posting and checked; the brand (regular salted butter) I use reported about 60mg/Tbsp.

I'll have to check up on eggs...

e: Clabber Girl baking power says 65mg per 1/8th tsp (which is a weird serving size) or 520mg/tsp.

ee: Eggs are kind of all over the map, but I suppose chickens are not precisely calibrated machines. Apparently most of the sodium is in the white, not the yolk, and numbers range from 60-180mg/egg, according to the USDA nutrient database.

Base Emitter fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 23, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I went to New Orleans and now I want to make some ettouffe. Where the gently caress do I find crawfish in Los Angeles.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Base Emitter posted:

Depends on the salt you use. The amount of salt in a tsp of Morton's kosher is different from the same volume of diamond crystal, or iodized table, etc.

Steve Yun posted:

I went to New Orleans and now I want to make some ettouffe. Where the gently caress do I find crawfish in Los Angeles.

Fish markets. I've seen it at 99 ranch market, too, and believe it or not, Costco when in season.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Base Emitter posted:

e: Clabber Girl baking power says 65mg per 1/8th tsp (which is a weird serving size) or 520mg/tsp.

Well, if someone just felt like eating a tbsp of baking powder they'd probably have the worst gas ever. 1/8 tsp is about as much as is in a generous slice of banana bread. (1 tsp per loaf)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Base Emitter posted:

ee: Eggs are kind of all over the map, but I suppose chickens are not precisely calibrated machines. Apparently most of the sodium is in the white, not the yolk, and numbers range from 60-180mg/egg, according to the USDA nutrient database.
Look at the actual nutrition label on your specific box of eggs, it should probably be close enough to reality for you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've been pickling veg and sticking it in the fridge recently and was wondering how long it'll last in the fridge before it needs throwing out? I'm using equal parts water and cider vinegar with a couple tablespoons of salt with chilli and garlic

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Looking for a good shrimp recipe for tonight's hastily planned meal. I don't want anything with a lot of starch as I'm already making mashed potatoes & celeriac—I'm thinking something with a sweet marinade wouldn't work for the same reasons, but I might be wrong about that. I don't have access to a deep fryer or grill at the moment.

Edit: I also have a lot of mushrooms I need to use soon (was going to make a pizza funghi, didn't). I was just going to sautee them as a side dish, but if there's something that could incorporate those too, that would be great.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 23, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Fish markets. I've seen it at 99 ranch market, too, and believe it or not, Costco when in season.

Good lord i found it at the fresh fish section but until today I never bothered looking in the frozen meat at 99 Ranch. It's a treasure trove of all the weird stuff you never see at American groceries: escargot, frog legs, silken chicken, sea ccumbers, whole rabbits. How did I never know this :psyduck:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 24, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Rollersnake posted:

Looking for a good shrimp recipe for tonight's hastily planned meal. I don't want anything with a lot of starch as I'm already making mashed potatoes & celeriac—I'm thinking something with a sweet marinade wouldn't work for the same reasons, but I might be wrong about that. I don't have access to a deep fryer or grill at the moment.

Edit: I also have a lot of mushrooms I need to use soon (was going to make a pizza funghi, didn't). I was just going to sautee them as a side dish, but if there's something that could incorporate those too, that would be great.

A bit of tomato paste, salt, bit of sugar, finely diced garlic, and a light smattering of Italian spices( stuff like oregano, thyme, rosemary, savoury, etc) and red pepper flakes. Add oil, add garlic and pepper flakes into oil, and brown the garlic lightly. Toss everything else into hot pan and stir fry until shrimp is cooked. Once cooked, dust heavily with grated parmaggianno cheese and toss for another 10-15 seconds. Serve. That's my go to, heavily flavored Italian inspired shrimp recipe. Mushrooms sauteed in white wine and chicken or vegetable broth will probably be a great side.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 24, 2012

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE
I wouldn't worry about finding surprise salt in non-processed foods like eggs. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is self-raising flour, that will have salt in it too. I don't know if your salt restriction is as much as mine but you can often ask your bakery to bake you salt-free bread, it's usually up to 100mg per slice otherwise. I find it easier to just look at the sodium quantity per 100g of food and aim for everything below a certain point (for me it's 100mg). Wolfram alpha can help with a lot of foods and finding out their constituents also :)

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
My local market uses terms I'm not familiar with for a few cuts of beef...in particular, they have something they label as 'knuckle' (both portions and whole, with the whole being about 20 pounds), and quite honestly I can't tell what the hell it is. The texture is close-grained, similar to round or sirloin. It looks good, and it's inexpensive...any ideas?

(I googled it and apparently the term is interchangeable)

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Few weeks ago, I think, someone mentioned a recipe for really thick hot chocolate, but I can't remember the poster nor the post?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Powdered Toast Man posted:

My local market uses terms I'm not familiar with for a few cuts of beef...in particular, they have something they label as 'knuckle' (both portions and whole, with the whole being about 20 pounds), and quite honestly I can't tell what the hell it is. The texture is close-grained, similar to round or sirloin. It looks good, and it's inexpensive...any ideas?

(I googled it and apparently the term is interchangeable)

http://www.foodista.com/food/8QYMNPGS/beef-knuckle

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Good lord i found it at the fresh fish section but until today I never bothered looking in the frozen meat at 99 Ranch. It's a treasure trove of all the weird stuff you never see at American groceries: escargot, frog legs, silken chicken, sea ccumbers, whole rabbits. How did I never know this :psyduck:

They should have silky chicken in the fresh meat case. They should also have balut, if that floats your boat. 99RM has a lot of things that one wouldn't expect to find.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Love balut. Perfect movie snack.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Very Strange Things posted:

Gammon and bacon joints were the original Irish boiled dinner that everyone in the U.S. makes with corned beef now -usually at St. Patrick's Day. I'd make something very similar (but don't corn it or anything).

You might want to rinse it first -or even cook it alone in boiling water for a few minutes and then refresh the water.

Basically throw some barely crushed peppercorns, a few bay leaves, the joint, and enough liquid (water, some white wine, some stock) to cover it into a big pot.
Cover it, bring it to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer it.

After a couple hours [edit: I have no idea how big your joint is; just estimating here.] throw in some root vegetables. Carrots, onions, potatoes. Very large chunks.

When the potatoes are almost tender throw in some cabbage and it will hopefully all finish at the same time.

I like to take some of the liquid and mount butter and cream in it as a sauce to go on top when it's plated. You can adjust the flavor of that however you want. I throw some horseradish and dill in it sometimes.

Quoting this again so I don't lose it (again). My gammon joint is unsmoked and 650g, how does that affect the recipe? I'm planning to try this tonight.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Didion posted:

Few weeks ago, I think, someone mentioned a recipe for really thick hot chocolate, but I can't remember the poster nor the post?

Don't know if this is what you were thinking of, but this was posted in the chocolate thread.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Eeyo posted:

I'd bet the absence of fish sauce did lessen the flavor a bit. Vegetarian "fish sauce" does exist, I saw it a few days ago at the store, but it might not be common. Most of the pre-made curry pastes contain both fish sauce and shrimp paste, but I think some are vegetarian. The one I bought a few days ago, Maesri brand, didn't have any animal products listed and it tasted good in the end. An Amazon search suggests their Panang paste is also free of animal products, although you'd probably want to read the label to confirm that. I'd say if you want to make it again, just buy some pre-made vegetarian friendly curry paste and some vegetarian fish sauce and it might be better. But those might be hard to find. Subbing in tofu for chicken wouldn't affect the flavor that much.
Thank you!

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Did you follow the recipe to the letter excluding the subs that you mentioned (because I doubt you used shrimp paste)? I'm pretty sure that is just a bad recipe, dude. Subbing galangal for ginger is common, if incorrect, but the idea of bay leaves as a substitute for kaffir lime leaves :stare: A vast amount of those ingredients just don't belong in a thai curry.

Why are you trying to make Panang curry vegan? Vegan omissions and substitutions don't work for thai curries in my opinion. Fish sauce and shrimp paste add such a deep funkiness to the dish that you can't really imitate. Curry means a lot of different things in different regions. There are a poo poo ton of vegetarian (and presumably vegan) curries out there. I found this recipe recently and thought it looked good. There is some flavor overlap between this and panang curry, even if it is quite different.
Thanks I will try this. The reason I'm trying to make panang curry vegan is because I keep kosher (so yeah I skipped the shrimp paste as well). I will try this recipe you recommend thank you.

quote:

I love that you specify "saltwater" too. Like, off to the side, did you dissolve the salt into a bowl and spoon out 2T?
p much yeah.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Bollock Monkey posted:

Don't know if this is what you were thinking of, but this was posted in the chocolate thread.

Ah yes, perfect, thank you!

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

"...that has had the tri-tip muscle removed."

Well gently caress that. Why the hell is tri-tip so hard to find? :sigh:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Scott Bakula posted:

I've been pickling veg and sticking it in the fridge recently and was wondering how long it'll last in the fridge before it needs throwing out? I'm using equal parts water and cider vinegar with a couple tablespoons of salt with chilli and garlic

Pretty much ever. If the veg doesn't eventually submerge it'll mold on top but otherwise you're golden. I make thai chiles that way, just vinegar, water, big pinch of salt, done.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Lex Kramer posted:

Thanks I will try this. The reason I'm trying to make panang curry vegan is because I keep kosher

I don't recall seeing a vegan kosher ascension on /dev/null before - how many other conducts have you done?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Making things vegan is great because then you can have your curry with whatever the rest of the meal is and I don't have to thing "o yeah this has meat in it so I can't eat it with X".

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lex Kramer posted:

Making things vegan is great because then you can have your curry with whatever the rest of the meal is and I don't have to thing "o yeah this has meat in it so I can't eat it with X".

But then you would be eating vegan food. Also no one ever thinks that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
It does come up for those observing Kashrut and the whole no mixing of milk and meat.