Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

Care to explain why that shoe is interesting?

It's not made in a sweatshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Armyman25 posted:

It's not made in a sweatshop.

Too bad only 25% of their shoes sold in the US are actually made in the US. The rest are either from China (70%) or Vietnam (5%).

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/05/01/8375455/index.htm

http://newbalance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5

There's also the class action lawsuit against New Balance for their false advertising in regards to their "Toning Shoes" footwear line, which New Balance touted as having unproven health benefits.

http://www.manatt.com/uploadedFiles/News_and_Events/Newsletters/AdvertisingLaw%40manatt/Pashamova%20v.%20New%20Balance.pdf

Finally, I'd like to point out that Jim David gave $500,000 to the Romney campaign.

All in all shoe companies are massive shitlords by and large and just because a company slaps MADE IN AMERICA on their product, doesn't automatically make them a good company.

Syrian man carrying his wounded daughter.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
If you'd like to buy non-sweatshop, American-made shoes, belts, and accessories, I highly recommend the following:

Red Wings Heritage Collection (~$300) http://www.redwingheritage.com/boots

Allen Edmonds ($150-500) http://www.allenedmonds.com/

Vintage Shoes ($275+) http://www.vintageshoecompany.com/

Keep in mind that these may be more expensive than your Target brand shoes, but they'll be higher quality, less carbon-intensive, and support American professionals!

Also there are quite a few companies that make all sorts of clothes in the US, and I highly recommend them! (Epaulet, American Apparel, Archival Clothing, Outlier, Inland Clothing, and tons more)

pic:

edit: holy poo poo what are the odds we post the same pic at just about the same time? I guess I left my window open too long... Gimme a minute and I'll find something else.

To Crasscrab: I don't think anyone said EVERY New Balance is made in the US, but many of their lines are; and if dubious marketing, and donating to a nasty politician make a company lovely, then it looks like just about every single company in the country is a piece of poo poo. New Balance is a fine shoe company run by people who happen to support a candidate you don't, and that shouldn't matter.

EDIT: And better they slap made in America on some of their lines than not to! Would you rather they make 100% of their shoes in China and Vietnam? The vast majority of US shoe companies do...

thesurlyspringKAA fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 24, 2012

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

New Balance is a fine shoe company run by people who happen to support a candidate you don't, and that shouldn't matter.

When they donate large amounts of money to a candidate that is actively working against women's rights, welfare, gay rights, et cetera it actually should matter, if you have the choice to not buy their product and buy it from someone less lovely.

Found this thing on tumblr:

quote:

The photo above is the closest humanity has ever come to creating Medusa.

If you were to look at this, you would die instantly. End of story.

The image is of a reactor core lava formation in the basement of the Chernobyl nuclear plant. It’s called the Elephant’s Foot and weighs hundreds of tons, but is only a couple meters across.

Oh, and regarding the Medusa thing? This picture was taken through a mirror around the corner of the hallway. Because the wheeled camera they sent up to take pictures of it was destroyed by the radiation.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Crasscrab posted:

Too bad only 25% of their shoes sold in the US are actually made in the US. The rest are either from China (70%) or Vietnam (5%).

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/05/01/8375455/index.htm

http://newbalance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5

There's also the class action lawsuit against New Balance for their false advertising in regards to their "Toning Shoes" footwear line, which New Balance touted as having unproven health benefits.

http://www.manatt.com/uploadedFiles/News_and_Events/Newsletters/AdvertisingLaw%40manatt/Pashamova%20v.%20New%20Balance.pdf

Finally, I'd like to point out that Jim David gave $500,000 to the Romney campaign.

All in all shoe companies are massive shitlords by and large and just because a company slaps MADE IN AMERICA on their product, doesn't automatically make them a good company.

They are still the only company making running shoes in the US. I specifically posted a model that is made in the USA. The fact that they actually employee US workers makes them the least bad option.

Thorogood work boot, made by Weinbrenner USA, a Unionized boot company.

This guy was seen at the World Food Festival in Des Moines, IA. I have to wonder if he went around sampling the food, then hating it for how good it tasted?

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 24, 2012

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ekuNNN posted:

There's a term for this! CORIUM :science:

I've never heard that part about the mirror though, sounds suspicious.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

ekuNNN posted:

The thing about the camera might not be true - here is a video of the radioactive mass and a couple of colour photos. I find this stuff fiercely creepy - the same fear I got watching The Blob as a child.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

American Apparel

Don't shop at american apparel, shop at alternative apparel. Same quality, with none of the objectifying ads. Although they don't employ exclusively in america they do ensure anyone who does work for them doesn't work in a sweatshop.

on it pth-whatever-the-rest-of-your-name-is!
vvv

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 24, 2012

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
^^^Better put a picture in that post, LL^^^

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

Don't shop at american apparel, shop at alternative apparel. Same quality, with none of the objectifying ads. Although they don't employ exclusively in america they do ensure anyone who does work for them doesn't work in a sweatshop.

Don't forget a picture.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

East German border guards at the Brandenburg Gate, Berlin

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Hahahaha

"Questions were occasionally asked about Romney's eligibility to run for President owing to his birth in Mexico, given the ambiguity in the United States Constitution over the phrase 'natural-born citizen'."

(Mitt's dad)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Hahahaha

"Questions were occasionally asked about Romney's eligibility to run for President owing to his birth in Mexico, given the ambiguity in the United States Constitution over the phrase 'natural-born citizen'."

(Mitt's dad)

That is incredible and I can't stop laughing.

Screencap from Goontube on 9/11/2012:

Not goon related:

e: was not that big in the preview. :saddowns:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 6, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Strif-ah Ker-not
Oct 8, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Is that a Charlie Borrker or Chris Morris thing?

No those are what the MP said to the policeman outside number 10. If you were asking who made the picture I think it was Political Scrapbook. At least they posted it without giving anyone credit and have been promoting it today.

Pictures of David Miliband

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Strif-ah Ker-not posted:

No those are what the MP said to the policeman outside number 10. If you were asking who made the picture I think it was Political Scrapbook. At least they posted it without giving anyone credit and have been promoting it today.

It's from b3ta by Doctor When, who also made

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Z-Magic posted:

It's from b3ta by Doctor When, who also made

Swear particles are called Swearengens :colbert:

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

Allen Edmonds shoes use Horween leather, which is of amazingly high quality and made right here in Chicago.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Courtesy of some nice people in McKinney, TX

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

I just realized, Governor Romney was probably more leftist than President Obama is.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Strif-ah Ker-not posted:

Pictures of David Miliband

Don't forget his brother and Leader of the Opposition, Ed Millibong:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Does anyone else think the rise of multi-drug resistant syphilis is behind most of this? I hear Sun City Arizona has a huge epidemic of STIs amongst the elderly and I'm sure Florida is the same.

Just putting that out there.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Made this a while back. If I wasn't so lazy I'd slap it on a bunch of redneck trucks in the middle of the night

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Afghans protesting against the film about Mohammed. #MuslimRage

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Daily Mail columnist Richard Littlejohn up to his usual xenophobic loving tricks.

taupoke
Apr 26, 2008

by T. Finninho

John Charity Spring posted:

Daily Mail columnist Richard Littlejohn up to his usual xenophobic loving tricks.

"and she's probably Polish" :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

Richard Littlejohn, oval office. Not a man who works as a oval office.

Representative Steve King (R) from Iowa supports dog fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDqP1nS0YVo

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 18, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

What's the matter, Scandinavia? JEALOUS OF OUR SUCCESS? :smug:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

When our voting power outweighs that of the Baby Boomer generation (i.e., once more and more of them have left this mortal coil). Only...we will ourselves be of age at that point, so you're just banking on Gen-Y being incredibly noble.

Not that it really matters; no current system is sustainable, not even that in the Nordic. We'll all be eating each other by then anyway.

Image:

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 25, 2012

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

e:

Former secretary of state Madeleine Albright on drums.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 25, 2012

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I hate that picture for leaving out us, the Faroes and Greenland out. Mainlander Fuckers.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

I don't really believe someone from the Nordic countries made that thing.
__
Here, Helmut Schmidt

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Also there are quite a few companies that make all sorts of clothes in the US, and I highly recommend them! (Epaulet, American Apparel, Archival Clothing, Outlier, Inland Clothing, and tons more)

American Apparel, highly recommended.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Brazilian politicians trying to piggy back on B-rock's popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Credit to Palpek

• Locked thread