Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah idk they painted ours red on the bottom at least once.

If you look at our grounding pic on wikipedia our underside is red although that was a few years ago

you were on the hartford? what years?

ours was black every single time so idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
02-06, I posted about the grounding in another thread (the hosed up poo poo thread maybe)

I coulda sworn it was black on the bottom when we went into drydock the first time but it got painted red. Spending way too much time google searching it looks like the Virginias get launched with a black underside but when they're in drydock for later stuff they look red bottomed. So maybe they get painted black when they need to look good/scary or maybe specific boats get painted red or maybe it's whatever's in stock I dunno

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

02-06, I posted about the grounding in another thread (the hosed up poo poo thread maybe)

I coulda sworn it was black on the bottom when we went into drydock the first time but it got painted red. Spending way too much time google searching it looks like the Virginias get launched with a black underside but when they're in drydock for later stuff they look red bottomed. So maybe they get painted black when they need to look good/scary or maybe specific boats get painted red or maybe it's whatever's in stock I dunno

Ah ok so before it moved to san diego gotcha

I honestly don't know the difference between the red and the black and how they choose. I have a pic of us in front of it but it doesn't show what color the rest of it is because I don't think they ever paint the dome anything but black. Gonna be one of those mysteries~~

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Hartford's still outta Groton far as I know, you're thinking of the Hampton

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

Hartford's still outta Groton far as I know, you're thinking of the Hampton

gently caress....yeah you're right!!!!

AnInsomniac
Oct 12, 2004
Oh man don't hit me with that shoe!
For those who knew him, Nicholas Pleshek, a MM who served on the Nimitz in Reactor with me (he seperated in March) was killed over the weekend in a motorcycle accident.

http://redmond.patch.com/articles/breaking-fatal-suv-motorcycle-crash-on-union-hill-road

AnInsomniac fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 28, 2012

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007
Doom and Bad--All at Once
I got my DD214 in February. So long mistakes!

Seriously, if I did it earlier in my life, I think I'd have stuck with it, but I'm glad that I'm out early. But I still can't forget all of this poo poo they stuck in my brain.... :argh:

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007
Doom and Bad--All at Once
edit: woops double-post!

camino
Feb 23, 2006

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

I got my DD214 in February. So long mistakes!

Seriously, if I did it earlier in my life, I think I'd have stuck with it, but I'm glad that I'm out early. But I still can't forget all of this poo poo they stuck in my brain.... :argh:

How far did you make it? Were you sad?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

But I still can't forget all of this poo poo they stuck in my brain.... :argh:

Don't worry, that'll come with time. That one equation they make everyone learn? With all the goofy symbols and poo poo? Yeah, no idea.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
A friend of mine who has almost finished his EE degree has thought it was a wonderful idea to sign up as a nuke. You better loving believe I mean enlisted.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I bet they make him a mechanic. Make sure he knows that there is a 50% chance he'll end up as a MM.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Smart man.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

I bet they make him a mechanic. Make sure he knows that there is a 50% chance he'll end up as a MM.

Look on the bright side, he'll probably do well in the electrical theory class. :v:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
We had a dude in power school with an ME degree from Michigan State.....basically he was way smarter than everyone and they eventually got him into OCS(still had to be a nuke though obviously)

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I'm senior class at NPS now and I have a few questions:

-Where should I live if I get to go to New York?
-Since I'll be taking grad leave from November 9th-19th, will I not get holiday leave?
-Are there any opportunities to make prototype suck less (I was selected for class leadership so I don't have to stand regular watches, I'm looking for things like this)?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ChewedFood posted:

-Since I'll be taking grad leave from November 9th-19th, will I not get holiday leave?
-Are there any opportunities to make prototype suck less (I was selected for class leadership so I don't have to stand regular watches, I'm looking for things like this)?

Live as close to the site as possible so that you can have an extra 30 minutes per day of free time instead of commuting. This will raise your free time to approximately one hour per day.

You will probably get holiday leave since you won't be on crew yet.

Stay ahead of the curve so you only have 84 hour weeks instead of 96 hour weeks.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

ChewedFood posted:

I reported to Ballston Spa roughly the same time as you back in the day. They allowed us to fly home over the Thanksgiving 4 day weekend, but not over Christmas. We only got Christmas and Christmas Eve off.

Live close to the site. I lived off Saratoga Lake, and although it was a cool house, the commute was killer when you're already working 12-14 hours a day.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ChewedFood posted:

It depends on your lifestyle. I lived right by downtown Saratoga Springs so I could walk to the bars/crawl home and this deffo made the experience better for me. Some guys lived out in the woods right by the site so they could snowmobile in to work, but had zero social life. Some guys packed into houses bunk-bed style like sardines to spend as little of their BAH as possible and save it / blow it on other dumb poo poo.

Most of the places that rent to squids are shitholes, plan time early in your travel leave to go up there and look at as many as possible so you can find a decent one. The place I got was perfect except for alternate-side street parking (a real pain with heavy snow and night shifts)

Note that snowmobile thing - if you're going there during winter time, it snows a loving lot and the plowing at the hours you're heading to/from work is minimal. That 30 minute commute can grow to an hour or more, easy. On at least one occasion it started snowing when I left site and there was drat near a foot down by the time I got home, and 12"+ falls are routine. I had a lifted 4x4 and didn't have issues but my roommates had ricers - and ended up at the other plant on a different shift - and routinely struggled to get there on time. Remember you may not be on shift with your roommates, ensure you have a vehicle which is safe and capable in severe weather, and plan time and equipment to dig yourself out if there's been much precipitation.

As far as making things easier, get ahead of the curve, stay ahead of the curve, and qualify ASAP. Not that different from power school and dealing with hours. Some people are afraid of going in hull, don't be, checkouts are easier and a lot of people learn better looking at the real stuff than reading about it in a cubbyhole.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Snowdens Secret posted:

Note that snowmobile thing - if you're going there during winter time, it snows a loving lot and the plowing at the hours you're heading to/from work is minimal. That 30 minute commute can grow to an hour or more, easy. On at least one occasion it started snowing when I left site and there was drat near a foot down by the time I got home, and 12"+ falls are routine. I had a lifted 4x4 and didn't have issues but my roommates had ricers - and ended up at the other plant on a different shift - and routinely struggled to get there on time. Remember you may not be on shift with your roommates, ensure you have a vehicle which is safe and capable in severe weather, and plan time and equipment to dig yourself out if there's been much precipitation.

As far as making things easier, get ahead of the curve, stay ahead of the curve, and qualify ASAP. Not that different from power school and dealing with hours. Some people are afraid of going in hull, don't be, checkouts are easier and a lot of people learn better looking at the real stuff than reading about it in a cubbyhole.

The last few winters we've had have been really weak sauce and there's been much more poo poo that comes down as slush and freezes overnight than nice tractable two-foot powder dumps

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
I graduate A school tomorrow and would like to share the number one lesson I learned. Give no fucks. There will always be people that try to call you a shitbag no matter how hard you try. The last thing you need to do is try be the super sat sailor that gets noticed for dumb poo poo like shiny boots with a smug look on your face.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 27, 2012

Perpetual Demise
Sep 13, 2012

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

I graduate A school tomorrow and would like to share the number one lesson I learned. Give no fucks. There will always be people that try to call you a shitbag no matter how hard you try. The last thing you need to do is try be the super sat sailor that gets noticed for dumb poo poo like shiny boots with a smug look on your face.

Totally agree. From my experience being the 'super sat sailor' it just caused more work especially once you got on board your boat. I was the first one qualified on my boat out of my group, and I was consistently given ridiculous amounts of work while my slacking shipmates took their sweet time and did pretty much nothing. If I could have done it again, I would not have tried to get all the quals done ASAP, but then if I could do it again I probably wouldn't have gone subs either. Btw that's not to say that I regret my time on board. I don't

Perpetual Demise fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 27, 2012

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Perpetual Demise posted:

Totally agree. From my experience being the 'super sat sailor' it just caused more work especially once you got on board your boat. I was the first one qualified on my boat out of my group, and I was consistently given ridiculous amounts of work while my slacking shipmates took their sweet time and did pretty much nothing. If I could have done it again, I would not have tried to get all the quals done ASAP, but then if I could do it again I probably wouldn't have gone subs either. Btw that's not to say that I regret my time on board. I don't

How were your evals compared to the slackers'?

Perpetual Demise
Sep 13, 2012

SpaceJustice posted:

How were your evals compared to the slackers'?

No idea, probably better I would assume. But on our boat evals didn't mean a whole lot when you are standing port and starboard watch rotation in port while working 14-15 hours every day b/c all the other guys are taking their sweet time qualifying. You just got burned out. Like I said, I don't regret it, but I didn't want to stay in either, but maybe that was just my boat.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Perpetual Demise posted:

My experience was completely different. I was on a carrier and qualifying RO/SRO quickly meant I was able to pretty much do not a loving thing when I wasn't on watch or doing maintenance. I seriously only worked anywhere from 5-7 hours a day when I was underway and qualified senior in rate. We played so much Halo it was ridiculous. Well until I made the awful mistake of taking on leadership positions.

Being qualified on a carrier was always better than being a non-qual.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Also not being able to stand watch or do maintenance makes you a buddyfucker. Having a bunch of people who can get poo poo done and done right the first time gives everyone the best poo poo deal possible. Alternately a division full of nub shitbags tends to stay a division of nub shitbags, which rolls around to bite you in the rear end when you're the senior guy and it should be your turn to get the good deal but your senior watch is port-starboard and you can't take leave cuz they can't fill the watchbill.

Perpetual Demise
Sep 13, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also not being able to stand watch or do maintenance makes you a buddyfucker.

This was the case our boat. Even being qualified SRO didn't lighten the work load, but it did help the watch bill a bit in port... a bit, until some idiot got disqualified. Oh well. Enough complaining from me.

Just curious, but would most of the guys here that went surface say they had a generally positive experience? Seems like my friends that went surface had an experience similar to what belt said he had. Thoughts?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
All this talk about snow worries me. I've never seen snow. I drive a newer Accord, should I trade it for a truck?

How long does it take to get an apartment in Ballston Spa? Do I just shack up with friends already there while I look or something?

And now the most important question: should I ask for grad hold in Goose Creek or New York? What is the difference?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

ChewedFood posted:

All this talk about snow worries me. I've never seen snow. I drive a newer Accord, should I trade it for a truck?

No, you'll be fine, the snow is not that loving bad

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ChewedFood posted:

A FWD car will usually do better in the snow than a RWD truck. Of course any car will drive like poo poo with the wrong tires. I don't think Accords have ultra high performance summer tires, so you should be fine.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Shiny boots? Nah, I don't care about that. Giving a gently caress about qualifying as soon as possible? I'm all in for that. We are at Week 16 and I just took the 100% exam and passed. Now it's looking like I should be qualified in the next few weeks; about 6 weeks before week 24. I kinda feel like it's the last big hurdle with this pipeline and busting my rear end to get qualified early will pay off in extra time off at the end. "Oh, I just got here and you want me to make a food run? And then go home? Sure!"

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Tip: prototype instructors hate students that don't go in-hull regularly. If I had a student that didn't go in-hull on an AEA watch, 70% of their questions would involve equipment locations. I also kept pre-written remedial forms because I never changed my questions. Ask other students what they were asked/should know/etc.

Dont get caught with a CAC answer bible. It happens every year or two and is horrible for everyone because we have to do a 100% note audit and that can get awkward and lead to more people getting in trouble if someone that gives a poo poo does it.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

itsrobbiej posted:

Shiny boots? Nah, I don't care about that. Giving a gently caress about qualifying as soon as possible? I'm all in for that. We are at Week 16 and I just took the 100% exam and passed. Now it's looking like I should be qualified in the next few weeks; about 6 weeks before week 24. I kinda feel like it's the last big hurdle with this pipeline and busting my rear end to get qualified early will pay off in extra time off at the end. "Oh, I just got here and you want me to make a food run? And then go home? Sure!"

Oh I am not referring to poo poo bagging your quals. That stuff is important. Just that there is no point to running around with a boot camp level of "satness". I actually put in a lot more hours than I needed to. I mean not giving a gently caress about people calling you out. They will chew your rear end out one day, and congratulate you the next.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You can drag rear end all through school and all that can happen is that you get ordered hours. If you give no fucks about this, whatever, it's your life.

Like itsrobbiej said, once you get to prototype, qualifying faster has tangible benefits. I passed final board week 16 or so and the rest was practically paid vacation.

Once you get to the boat, qualifying may not seem like a good deal to you, but the longer you take to qual the more you're actively loving the senior guys. Get your junior in port and at sea watch done ASAP; no one expects you to know poo poo and you'll learn from running drills over and over anyway. You don't have to panic sprint to your senior-in-rate, those you need to understand what's going on, but don't drag rear end either. If I was standing SRO on a poo poo watchbill, for instance, and I had a guy I thought wasn't putting forth sufficient effort you bet that fucker would be in maneuvering every midwatch with me.

The worst worthless fucks are the ones that "accidentally" get left cranking for months, insisting their quals freeze all the while.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
And if the crew on your boat is good they'll teach you anything and everything you want to know, so much better than prototype. My LPO interviews for watchstations were usually him teaching me poo poo. Everyone shits on slow qualifiers because they're buddy fuckers and its a lasting impression.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

ChewedFood posted:

How long does it take to get an apartment in Ballston Spa? Do I just shack up with friends already there while I look or something?

And now the most important question: should I ask for grad hold in Goose Creek or New York? What is the difference?
Nealy any car is fine for snow; the most important thing is tires! Snow tires beat the crap off allseasons, and summer tires are outright dangerous. Lazy people (and those in temperate area) use all seasons year round, but in really snowy regions, they'll switch tires spring and fall.

When the snow gets deep enough that ground clearance makes a difference, you probably shouldn't be driving anyhow. Fortunately, areas that routinely get a lot of snow know how to deal with it and keep most roads clear. Remember: all cars have 4 wheel braking! AWD/4WD just help you get into trouble faster. (I've found most people who talk about their giant 4WD SUV saving their rear end are talking about getting unstuck after doing something stupid, as any fwd/rwd with good tires would have performed just as well.). The exception is steel hilly icy secondaries that don't get plo wed.

Driving on snow and ice is a bit different than you're probably used to, so read up on tips and tricks and practice in an empty parking lot and you'll pick it up quick.
Just remember: do not brake, steer or accellerate on ice (VERY light inputs to keep you on the road) and, and just coast and maintain control and then fix your speed/direction when yoyou get to good pavement again.

grover fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 1, 2012

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Driving on ice is easy. Just do what these guys do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDrjP94bJIY

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
What's the optimal slip angle on ice, 90 degrees?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

grover posted:

When the snow gets deep enough that ground clearance makes a difference, you probably shouldn't be driving anyhow.

Fortunately, areas that routinely get a lot of snow know how to deal with it and keep most roads clear.

These are generally true statements that no longer apply when you're in the military, especially the nuclear Navy, and you might get cut slack for being a little late if it's a serious blizzard, but calling in and saying "sorry my car can't make it" means one of your schmuck shipmates is going to be dispatched to go get you. Remember, if you don't plan to leave early to account for the weather, it's your fault.

Upstate NY generally did a decent job of clearing the main roads, once the snow stopped coming down, but you still have to get out of your house/driveway/neighborhood. East CT has abysmal snow removal; the roads are so beat up and crowned the plows leave a few inches on top, which tends to melt and then freeze, with the ice then covered by more slush and snow, travelled by CT residents with bald tires and no skill. And there are days where the towns figure it's way too bad out there to run the plows till it calms down, and any san resident is staying home, but guess what, the Navy didn't get the memo.

Stationed in Groton there were at least two occasions that the boat demanded everyone come in in the morning only to tell us at muster that road conditions weren't safe enough to come to work and send everyone but the duty section home. The one time I got my lifted truck stuck was one of these days, where I had parked in what I thought I remembered was a parking lot, but had no visual cues to confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

grover posted:

Nealy any car is fine for snow; the most important thing is tires! Snow tires beat the crap off allseasons, and summer tires are outright dangerous. Lazy people (and those in temperate area) use all seasons year round, but in really snowy regions, they'll switch tires spring and fall.

When the snow gets deep enough that ground clearance makes a difference, you probably shouldn't be driving anyhow. Fortunately, areas that routinely get a lot of snow know how to deal with it and keep most roads clear. Remember: all cars have 4 wheel braking! AWD/4WD just help you get into trouble faster. (I've found most people who talk about their giant 4WD SUV saving their rear end are talking about getting unstuck after doing something stupid, as any fwd/rwd with good tires would have performed just as well.). The exception is steel hilly icy secondaries that don't get plo wed.

Driving on snow and ice is a bit different than you're probably used to, so read up on tips and tricks and practice in an empty parking lot and you'll pick it up quick.
Just remember: do not brake, steer or accellerate on ice (VERY light inputs to keep you on the road) and, and just coast and maintain control and then fix your speed/direction when yoyou get to good pavement again.

You are not seriously suggesting that there is not technical superiority in adverse driving conditions with 4WD/AWD.

Yes, people get to comfortable behind their little 4WD badge, but come on now.

• Locked thread