Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

The theory isn't without it's holes. It also wouldn't explain the Wandering Eye name Coyote called her. (Though I am thinking it might just be Coyote's nickname for her, like Fire Head Girl for Annie.) However, if correct, Jone's explanation of her origin could also give insight into Annie's, especially if it takes into account Coyote's explanation of Etheric beings.

Wandering Eye is a nickname she got because she likes to ogle dudes. Lots of dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Jones is literally the eye of some extradimensional elder god creature. If you turn your head in a direction that doesn't exist you'll see the eyestalk going off into the sky.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Jones is actually Boxbot from the future coming back to protect herself :tinfoil:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

glitchwraith posted:

The theory isn't without it's holes. It also wouldn't explain the Wandering Eye name Coyote called her. (Though I am thinking it might just be Coyote's nickname for her, like Fire Head Girl for Annie.)
Jones... Jones had a bit of a strabismus problem in grade school. Don't bring it up, it's kind of a sore spot for her.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Jones is also a bedsheet, the guys in the FX department are really good at what they do here.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
You guys are going to be so disappointed when this conversation goes:
:raise: "What are you?"
:geno: "Responsible for your training. It seems I'll be working overtime."
:gonk: "But Coyote and Ysengrim and--"
:geno: "You'll have plenty of time to write me a report about it during your two million detentions."

Years Three through Six: No Fun Allowed.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I always wondered if she had something to do with Muut and the other guides. The first time Antimony meets Coyote, she brings up Muut and Coyote replies "Nice guy! Hell of a poker face!". The very next panel shows Jones (the other major character with a "hell of a poker face") flashing a significant look.

For some reason I also can't help but see a bit of a resemblance to Anthony (especially the eyes), another notable character with a flat affect.

Hell if I can put it all together though. I doubt we'll see a complete answer this chapter, either. Maybe another flashback to Anthony, Donny, Surma, Anja, and Eglamore, showing exactly how they knew her back then.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

minimalist posted:

Maybe another flashback to Anthony, Donny, Surma, Anja, and Eglamore, showing exactly how they knew her back then.
"Boy, I sure hope nobody figures out we're all robots!"
"Me too!"
*everyone but Anthony high-fives*

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Years Three through Six: No Fun Allowed.

But what about Mort Fun Time? Not even that? :gonk:

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Tardigrade posted:

But what about Mort Fun Time? Not even that? :gonk:

That's our fun ration. We used it all up allocating all those avatars. Now comes the cold dark winter of Seriouskrigg.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Boy, I sure hope nobody figures out we're all robots!"
"Me too!"
*everyone but Anthony high-fives*

Every Gunnerkrigg character is Boxbot trapped in a time loop. Every time he gets sent back in time he disguises himself and plays the role of a different character.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dogbutt posted:

Jones is actually Boxbot from the future coming back to protect herself :tinfoil:

It makes so much sense! Boxbot is so terrible at being a robot because he's not a robot at all!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Could "Wandering Eye" be a reference to Odin? I'm not exactly up on my Norse mythology, but doesn't he have a wandering eye (or possibly an awful lot of ravens, I can't remember which).

Either that or it's a reference to Coyote's turning memories in the ether into stars in the sky; she's a wandering star, a memory given form.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Murderion posted:

Could "Wandering Eye" be a reference to Odin? I'm not exactly up on my Norse mythology, but doesn't he have a wandering eye (or possibly an awful lot of ravens, I can't remember which).

Either that or it's a reference to Coyote's turning memories in the ether into stars in the sky; she's a wandering star, a memory given form.

He sacrificed one eye to drink from Mime's well of wisdom, and he has two ravens called Hugin and Munin, translating loosely to thought and memory (Hugin is actually more like "vaguely formulated mental concept", and "Munin" is closer to "thought which is brought up again", at least with how those words mutated later).

Neither has a lot to do with a wandering eye, I'm afraid.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm going to maintain my theory that Jones is the only character who ISN'T a robot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm going to maintain my theory that Jones is the only character who ISN'T a robot.

Cut to Tom Siddell sitting in front of his computer, shaking in rage as he deletes all of the future strips he's prepared, hastily rewriting the entire plot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If Tom had to replan Gunnerkrigg with every new hypothesis posted on a forum somewhere, he'd be writing Peanuts by now.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Phy posted:

If Tom had to replan Gunnerkrigg with every new hypothesis posted on a forum somewhere, he'd be writing Peanuts by now.

He doesn't need to, GC always takes us in a completely unexpected direction or, at most, the expected direction but in the most unexpected way

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

He doesn't need to, GC always takes us in a completely unexpected direction or, at most, the expected direction but in the most unexpected way

How do you think it got to be that way in the first place? :tinfoil:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hasn't Tom lied his rear end off on various social media before now, to avoid spoilers?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Slime posted:

Wandering Eye is a nickname she got because she likes to ogle dudes. Lots of dudes.

My favorite explanation.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

thespaceinvader posted:

Hasn't Tom lied his rear end off on various social media before now, to avoid spoilers?

From what I remember, Tom's MO re: avoiding spoilers is telling half-truths, answering questions extremely literally, or just saying "we shall see".

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does this mean Jones comes from a future mythology?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The best one was when someone asked if Annie's mother's condition could be passed down to her, and Tom's reply was something like "Not that Anthony could tell".

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm thinking Jones could be something like Reynardine, a being that can take control of other peoples' bodies or objects with eyes. It'd kind of make Coyote's statement about Jones being a stolen name make sense.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

A student posted:

Does this mean Jones comes from a future mythology?

I'm liking the golem explanation more and more. Remember that, for golems, their name is of particular significance: If it is taken from them, they cease to exist.

EDIT: Of course, golems can't speak so...

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 26, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Depends on where you get your legends from. Rabbi Loeb's golem was more than capable of speech.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Being described as a liar always seemed a little unfair to me. I don't like to give away what happens in the future of the story, but I don't remember ever outright lying.

Then again, even stuff I assumed people would realise was a joke are considered lies. At the end of Chapter 13 I said the next chapter was going to be about monster trucks and electric guitars (because chpt 13 ended in a very sappy fashion), and even though I've long since deleted that comment, it's still brought up as "proof" that I'm a liar and that anything I say can't be trusted on my forum.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
People are big weirdos and everything you say is on the internet forever!

I really hope medium stuff means we get to see Parley and Smitty and also that we'll keep seeing them if Annie is picked!!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

FutureSushi posted:

Smitty and also that we'll keep seeing them if Annie is picked!!

Smitty for medium.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Congratulations, George!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tea-san posted:

Being described as a liar always seemed a little unfair to me. I don't like to give away what happens in the future of the story, but I don't remember ever outright lying.

Tea-san's no liar.

Therein lies the danger.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tea-san may not be a liar, but going from Monday to today, he's a goddamn tease. :argh:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tea-san posted:

At the end of Chapter 13 I said the next chapter was going to be about monster trucks and electric guitars (because chpt 13 ended in a very sappy fashion), and even though I've long since deleted that comment, it's still brought up as "proof" that I'm a liar and that anything I say can't be trusted on my forum.

You can't toy with the emotions of people that love monster trucks and electric guitars [all of humanity], w..they have sensitive hearts.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Guess we're just gonna have to Mort with it a bit longer!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gotta be Parley or Antimony's name would have just come up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, the way mentioning a name is avoided makes me think Parley as well. But then again the whole Ysengrin situation hadn't yet happened at that time, so Annie being named is still a possibility.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that that nifty scarf Jones is wearing seems a bit uncharacteristic for her? I can't help but suspect something is up with that.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Watch guys. It's going to be Paz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the way mentioning a name is avoided makes me think Parley as well. But then again the whole Ysengrin situation hadn't yet happened at that time, so Annie being named is still a possibility.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that that nifty scarf Jones is wearing seems a bit uncharacteristic for her? I can't help but suspect something is up with that.

Parley convinced her to wear it. Jones realized that anyone who could convince her to wear a scarf obviously had the diplomatic chops to be Medium.