Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I see you've never met my dad. He's clinging onto that TP2 for dear life, no matter how much better the $40/$50 phones are. You could give the man a free iPhone 5 and tell him you managed to make it work on the $40 plan and he'd probably still keep the TP2.

I have a TP2. Am I your dad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

moolchaba posted:

I have a TP2. Am I your dad?

My wife is ecstatic to be rid of her TP2 today. I'm trying to call the SERO line to get her $30 plan bumped up to the $50 one so we can activate her new iPhone 5. I've been waiting on hold for over 20 minutes now. Do they keep regular business hours?

EDIT - Gave up after 40 minutes.

rhombus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 22, 2012

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Voodoo posted:

Waiting for a number to port over is the worst part of a new phone on a different carrier. At least the phone works just fine on wifi!

I just switched from Sprint to Verizon today and it literally took less than 2 minutes to successfully port everything. I called Verizon after 5 minutes asking if there was anything else I needed to do, and then I called Sprint to see if it processed on their end. It was incredibly smooth and surprising.

To those who are curious, I confirmed that if you were given a complimentary Airave device, you are required to return the device (as some of you pointed out to me) in order to avoid paying for the hardware.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

rhombus posted:

My wife is ecstatic to be rid of her TP2 today. I'm trying to call the SERO line to get her $30 plan bumped up to the $50 one so we can activate her new iPhone 5. I've been waiting on hold for over 20 minutes now. Do they keep regular business hours?

Last I checked they had Monday through Friday hours and that was it.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

I had SERO for years and it was pretty good, but I jumped ship to at&t for the iPhone 4. I just got a quote for our 2 iPhones from gazelle. Is it worth it to come over to Sprint for the 20% work discount? I also can get 20% from Verizon too, but nobody is sure how much my plan will actually cost. Anyone have any experience in the Des Moines, Ia area of how their network is holding up?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

catspleen posted:

I had SERO for years and it was pretty good, but I jumped ship to at&t for the iPhone 4. I just got a quote for our 2 iPhones from gazelle. Is it worth it to come over to Sprint for the 20% work discount? I also can get 20% from Verizon too, but nobody is sure how much my plan will actually cost. Anyone have any experience in the Des Moines, Ia area of how their network is holding up?

Friend of mine lives in Vinton, IA using Straight Talk's Sprint service with the LG Optimus Q, he says he gets decent speed in Des Moines and my Nexus S 4G on Sprint gets pretty good speeds in Des Moines as well, even more so than Omaha, NE in some spots.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rhombus posted:

Employee care was particularly hammered traffic wise today, just call tomorrow.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Friend of mine lives in Vinton, IA using Straight Talk's Sprint service with the LG Optimus Q, he says he gets decent speed in Des Moines and my Nexus S 4G on Sprint gets pretty good speeds in Des Moines as well, even more so than Omaha, NE in some spots.
Well that is good news. Now where is the best place to get 2 sprint iPhone 5s in the next 30 days (before my gazelle quote expires). Sprint Store/Apple Store/online?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It appears Sprint may be starting to catch up on their LTE rollout.

Latched onto a 4G signal when I was downtown earlier. Haven't seen a 4G signal since I swapped out my Nexus S 4G for a Galaxy Nexus, though the GNex has overall had far faster 3G speeds.

If I could get that speed at home I'd be getting rid of the cable modem entirely.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
Sorry if it's been posted, I'm using the Awful app and can't search right now. For iPhones, is it better to just get Apple care and drop TEP? Seems like it would save money in the long run if it does provides the same protections as TEP.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

thenakedflip posted:

For iPhones, is it better to just get Apple care and drop TEP?

I'm not sure why you'd want TEP on any phone at this point. But in this case, god yes, especially if you live close to an Apple store.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
If I dont want a Samsung phone or an iPhone, does Sprint have anything interesting coming down the line phone-wise? I've been sitting on my upgrade for a while now and I'm getting antsy.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
If neither the Photon Q or EVO 4G LTE strike your fancy, I suspect you're going to be sitting on that upgrade until Spring.

Rkikzza
Sep 5, 2007

I haven't heard anything new for a while but some older rumors say there are going to be multiple nexus phones from different manufacturers which will hopefully be out November-ish.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm traveling to Canada for work tomorrow. I think I'm going to have ample access to wifi, so I'm considering just putting the phone in Airplane Mode and using wifi where I can get it. That should be sufficient to keep me from roaming, but still allow me to communicate via email, gtalk, Facebook, etc, right? What about Google Voice texts? That should be data-only as well, right? Just not the calls?

I am aware of the Canada roaming plan, but I don't really have a need to make calls while I'm there as long as I have alternative means of communication at my disposal.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

thenakedflip posted:

Sorry if it's been posted, I'm using the Awful app and can't search right now. For iPhones, is it better to just get Apple care and drop TEP?
You can't get TEP in the iPhone anyway, AppleCare+ is the only protection plan for it.

And it doesn't protect against loss, theft, or "catastrophic" damage. Basically, if the phone is in a state it can be repaired from it's free or $49 depending on the exact problem. If it's gone or non-repairable (in pieces, cracked motherboard, etc.) you're looking at paying full price for a replacement.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

thenakedflip posted:

Sorry if it's been posted, I'm using the Awful app and can't search right now. For iPhones, is it better to just get Apple care and drop TEP? Seems like it would save money in the long run if it does provides the same protections as TEP.

Also last I heard TEP is not offered for iPhones. You could skip AppleCare+ if you want. If you break it an Apple store would replace it for $199 which is only $60 more that the $100 for AppleCare+ plus the $40 deductible. That said I have it on my iPhones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Also last I heard TEP is not offered for iPhones. You could skip AppleCare+ if you want. If you break it an Apple store would replace it for $199 which is only $60 more that the $100 for AppleCare+ plus the $40 deductible. That said I have it on my iPhones.

TEP does not apply to iphones and does gets auto removed.

overall I don't recommend it. The biggest issues iphones have is lost/stolen, which Apple care doesn't have. Apple care still has a $50 deductible, yet if you don't have it apple charges only $200 to repair a cracked screen. That's really good. So really, the cost only outweighs the risk if you have a tendency to break phones or if you have a tendacy to get it wet (I don't think they do water damage without apple care).

To each their own, but personally apple is betting on you not breaking your phone, which is why apple care is priced how it is.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
Long story short: Need to replace a digitiser/glass on an Evo 4G, where's a good place to get the glass, tape, and a few pry tools from? I see thousands of them all over ebay/amazon, but was hoping someone had a place to recommend........

Fukin hate phones, I swear.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Finally got some sweet sweet LTE... At least for a few fleeting moments as I sat on the edge of an LTE cell. Even with the spotty coverage I was pulling 2.5 Mbps download speeds. Every time it dropped back to the closer EVDO tower I got a lovely 80Kbps.

Also this does mean I am Sprint's bitch and added another line to get my iPhone 5. I just can't bring myself to give money to AT&T or Verizon.

Fair warning: to reprovision I had to do a full restore so don't waste your time doing one first if you are going to call in to switch numbers. They had to transfer me to a special department because the iPhone 5 actually uses the SIM for LTE so it isn't a simple ESID swap.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

brc64 posted:

I'm traveling to Canada for work tomorrow. I think I'm going to have ample access to wifi, so I'm considering just putting the phone in Airplane Mode and using wifi where I can get it. That should be sufficient to keep me from roaming, but still allow me to communicate via email, gtalk, Facebook, etc, right? What about Google Voice texts? That should be data-only as well, right? Just not the calls?

I am aware of the Canada roaming plan, but I don't really have a need to make calls while I'm there as long as I have alternative means of communication at my disposal.

I did this overseas. Just kept my phone in airplane mode and used google voice to send txts and check voicemails, and then groove IP to make calls/receive calls. Worked beautifully. Groove IP can be a little wonky if you're on a crap wifi network but compared to paying out the rear end for international roaming (if cdma is even an option) it's amazing.

Only thing you won't get is MMS, which sucks if you're on android since iphones send group messages as MMS for some stupid reason (not to mention anyone replying to that sender will reply all, also as an MMS)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

I did this overseas. Just kept my phone in airplane mode and used google voice to send txts and check voicemails, and then groove IP to make calls/receive calls. Worked beautifully. Groove IP can be a little wonky if you're on a crap wifi network but compared to paying out the rear end for international roaming (if cdma is even an option) it's amazing.

Only thing you won't get is MMS, which sucks if you're on android since iphones send group messages as MMS for some stupid reason (not to mention anyone replying to that sender will reply all, also as an MMS)

Pretty sure Google voice MMS is now routing picture mail via email. Been suddenly working for me for the last 2 weeks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Pretty sure Google voice MMS is now routing picture mail via email. Been suddenly working for me for the last 2 weeks.

I swear there was a way to do that in Voice's web settings but I can't figure out how to make it do that. Did you have to change any settings in Google Voice via the app or website?

Also, I don't know what kind of Nexus S 4G you gave my boyfriend but I am incredibly jealous of it.

It lasted him 2 days total on one charge for ICS and now lasts a day and a half on Jelly Bean. He's a frequent phone user too. I just don't get how or what his phone is, but that's a drat good battery. Maybe I just need a new one as mine is almost two years old.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Is there a trick for getting Sprint TV to work on an iPhone 5? I'm not on wifi and I tried calling ##UPDATE#, but I still get an error message saying it can't retrieve my account or something

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

HolySwissCheese posted:

Is there a trick for getting Sprint TV to work on an iPhone 5? I'm not on wifi and I tried calling ##UPDATE#, but I still get an error message saying it can't retrieve my account or something

You have to bypass the ghost of Steve Jobs in order to get that lovely program to work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

No poo poo? I haven't noticed any changes, MMS still only shows up on my phone whereas regular texts show up both in GV and my phone. Wonder if there's a setting for it, or if it's a slow rollout.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Though the TP2 is one old and slow device now, it was one tough hard working one. I'm keeping it around for anyone in the family to use if need be with a prepaid sim.

Don't know why some of you are having so much trouble getting SERO accounts to work with newer 4G phones. For me it has always been as easy as *2 and telling them what you want. Anyone outside of Seri support is about as helpful as a box of rocks.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Is the EPRP plan still the best way to go for new customers to get the cheapest price on a new plan right now? Do any discounts stack? Like EPRP plus an employee discount as an example.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

No, discounts can't stack. Yeah, EPRP is the best deal if you don't have an employer that gives better than a 15% discount.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Some slightly improved Network Vision news: 205 sites completed last week, the first time there has been a good jump. Still well below Sprint's projections but they appear to be lighting a small fire under it.

Some of the new site numbers: Chicago (71), Boston (25), SF Bay (18), Kansas (17), Washington DC (15), Baltimore (13), Houston (9), New York City (8), Atlanta/Athens (8), DFW (8), LA Metro (7)

DFW still has massive coverage holes... All of Irving and Plano are basically devoid of LTE towers, along with large parts of Dallas itself, but this is like the sixth week with a piddling little 8 sites complete. NYC and LA are still getting under way so their numbers seem explainable.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
So apparently I'm a shitbird who can't read right and didn't notice the part about calling telesales directly for the Galaxy Nexus extended battery deal, and not just *2. Just did, no questions asked.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Oh and here is Sprint's LTE on the iPhone 5 after I drove around last night to find a tower that actually had it. I'm sure I looked like a criminal, slowly cruising around and pulling into strange parking lots.

You can get into the debug menu same as before: *3001#12345#* then hit Dial. When you are connected via LTE you get a completely different debug screen than the normal 3G/EVDO/CDMA one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Ender.uNF posted:

Some slightly improved Network Vision news: 205 sites completed last week, the first time there has been a good jump. Still well below Sprint's projections but they appear to be lighting a small fire under it.

Some of the new site numbers: Chicago (71), Boston (25), SF Bay (18), Kansas (17), Washington DC (15), Baltimore (13), Houston (9), New York City (8), Atlanta/Athens (8), DFW (8), LA Metro (7)

DFW still has massive coverage holes... All of Irving and Plano are basically devoid of LTE towers, along with large parts of Dallas itself, but this is like the sixth week with a piddling little 8 sites complete. NYC and LA are still getting under way so their numbers seem explainable.

Where are you getting your news about these LTE sites?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

TEP does not apply to iphones and does gets auto removed.

overall I don't recommend it. The biggest issues iphones have is lost/stolen, which Apple care doesn't have. Apple care still has a $50 deductible, yet if you don't have it apple charges only $200 to repair a cracked screen. That's really good. So really, the cost only outweighs the risk if you have a tendency to break phones or if you have a tendacy to get it wet (I don't think they do water damage without apple care).

To each their own, but personally apple is betting on you not breaking your phone, which is why apple care is priced how it is.

Apple's fee is supposedly $229 for a non-AC+ iPhone 5.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Where are you getting your news about these LTE sites?

http://s4gru.com/

I assume, I'm a sponsor over there as well..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ender.uNF posted:

I've had LTE pop up twice at home in Plano (far north off of Custer, halfway between Legacy and Hedgcoxe). The first time it was in theory only; the 4G icon popped up and I lost all connectivity until I forced the phone onto 3G. The second time I managed DSL speeds... not much faster than 3G aside from the latency.

That last one is on par with what I got on Wimax. And at least when LTE pops up, I can actually get it indoors, whereas my NS4G had to be outdoors or close to a window to get a Wimax signal.

I get jaw dropping LTE speeds in Deep Ellum.

Is it just me, or is LTE a lot easier on the battery than Wimax was? I generally kept 4G off on my NS4G (the battery would die in a few hours otherwise), while I keep the Galaxy Nexus on LTE/CDMA. LTE doesn't seem to make a major impact on the battery performance, whereas leaving Wimax on with the NS4G guaranteed a dead battery before 2pm.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 25, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

some texas redneck posted:

I've had LTE pop up twice at home in Plano (far north off of Custer, halfway between Legacy and Hedgcoxe). The first time it was in theory only; the 4G icon popped up and I lost all connectivity until I forced the phone onto 3G. The second time I managed DSL speeds... not much faster than 3G aside from the latency.

That last one is on par with what I got on Wimax. And at least when LTE pops up, I can actually get it indoors, whereas my NS4G had to be outdoors or close to a window to get a Wimax signal.

I get jaw dropping LTE speeds in Deep Ellum.

Is it just me, or is LTE a lot easier on the battery than Wimax was? I generally kept 4G off on my NS4G (the battery would die in a few hours otherwise), while I keep the Galaxy Nexus on LTE/CDMA. LTE doesn't seem to make a major impact on the battery performance, whereas leaving Wimax on with the NS4G guaranteed a dead battery before 2pm.

I used LTE in Texas on launch week and it barely affected battery life. Best part of LTE for me so far.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
How the gently caress does Plano have LTE but Phoenix, one of the most populated cities in the country hasn't even had WiMAX yet. Why am I still on Sprint.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Another "should I renew for 2 years question": I'm in nyc now, but next year I might be living in Montreal instead. Would I be hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

change my name posted:

Another "should I renew for 2 years question": I'm in nyc now, but next year I might be living in Montreal instead. Would I be hosed?

If you're still on Sprint the answer is yes whether you move or not.