Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Maple Leaf posted:

What does this mean? It has a compass in it?

Kinda. It uses the earth's electromagnetic field to orient itself. I think Playstation Move has one, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

katkillad2 posted:

Nothing was wrong with the experience, I don't know how people are taking your question so out of context. You paid for the game, downloaded it and it worked.

I think a lot of people are just very skeptical about the whole Nintendo eShop experience because it lacks accounts. People are expecting something like Apple, where I can re download anything I purchase on any device I own for free. Simple! But as for Nintendo your download is tied to your device instead of an account. And if your handheld gets lost, stolen, or breaks to the point where your device cannot power up you are screwed. At least I know if I lose my 3DS system (since it is a handheld I am encouraged to take with me everywhere), I only lose whatever game is in the system. I couldn't imagine if I had a dozen games in there that I couldn't re download...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought they were doing accounts this time.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

greatn posted:

I thought they were doing accounts this time.

There's no word yet on whether eShop accounts are tied to Miiverse accounts, right?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
On the 3DS? No... it is linked to your existing My Nintendo account, I don't know why they can't use that though. But even if it is with an account on the Wii U there has been no proof that it is done in any sort of intelligent way that enables redownloading of files in the case of a system being lost or breaking.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

zenintrude posted:

Steam, and digital PC games in general, is not comparable to closed systems like PSN/XBLA/eShop.

Can you explain why these are not comparable? I don't know what you mean by "a closed system" here. As far as I can see Steam is just the superior service, and if Nintendo just perpetuate this "get stuff "cheaper" but only if you pay an ongoing subscription" thing then it'll be a huge disappointment.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Can you explain why these are not comparable? I don't know what you mean by "a closed system" here. As far as I can see Steam is just the superior service, and if Nintendo just perpetuate this "get stuff "cheaper" but only if you pay an ongoing subscription" thing then it'll be a huge disappointment.

Seriously. Steam is just an excellent service, and there's people coming to the defense of consoles saying "There's no comparison" or "you're being spoiled" but it is completely a fair comparison and fair competition.

Sure, Steam has had over a decade to get to where it is now, and from a historical standpoint they only started the daily deals and huge sales pretty recently, but why the other services have refused to do the same is what turns me off digital purchasing outside of steam.

You'll probably see Wii U games in bargain bins far before they get lowered prices on the eShop, just like with PSN/Live games. It's ridiculous.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

You'll probably see Wii U games in bargain bins far before they get lowered prices on the eShop, just like with PSN/Live games. It's ridiculous.

Nintendo is allowing retailers to sell physical eShop vouchers with whatever sales or discounts the store is offering.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rake Arms posted:

Nintendo is allowing retailers to sell physical eShop vouchers with whatever sales or discounts the store is offering.

From what I'm hearing they're doing this on the 3DS and it's not quite working out that way. Retailers either don't have many of these in stock (if at all), and when they do they're not discounting them.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Suaimhneas posted:

Can you explain why these are not comparable? I don't know what you mean by "a closed system" here. As far as I can see Steam is just the superior service

You can buy the same digital, Steam-activated version a game from a dozen different places: Steam itself, Amazon, Gamefly, Green Man Gaming, Gamer's Gate, and on and on.

You can get the digital version of, let's say Gungrave Overdose, from one source: directly from PSN.

So what I'm getting at is that Steam is one of many storefronts for games that utilize their particular flavor of DRM. PSN/XBLA/eShop are all the only sources when it comes to getting games on their particular systems.

quote:

and if Nintendo just perpetuate this "get stuff "cheaper" but only if you pay an ongoing subscription" thing then it'll be a huge disappointment.

Sony is doing this as we speak, except they also offer some of their games for free as long as you maintain your subscription. It seems to be working out well for them, and I'm sure that a similar model would work great for Nintendo.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Bobnumerotres posted:

From what I'm hearing they're doing this on the 3DS and it's not quite working out that way. Retailers either don't have many of these in stock (if at all), and when they do they're not discounting them.

Additionally going to a retailer and picking up a code to type into my system is kind of missing one of the larger benefits of digital distribution.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Atomicated posted:

Additionally going to a retailer and picking up a code to type into my system is kind of missing one of the larger benefits of digital distribution.

With the gamepads near feild comms and camera, they really should set it up so you just hold up the card to your gamepad, press ok add this to my account and the game starts downloading. But this is Nintendo so we will never get details.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think it's really too early to say that retailers aren't discounting them. They probably won't, as first party Nintendo stuff usually doesn't get discounted anyway, but the first full retail game on the 3DS only appeared a month ago.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The reason Steam can do this and console games are timid at best about online distribution is that they rely on brick and mortar storefronts for distribution of hardware, accessories, showroom floor space, advertising, etc. PC games makers don't need stores that specifically sell PCs to be happy with them.

It sucks, but I've never had a problem with the current online sales models of console games because I've always had low expectations.

For an example, see the PSP Go. No Gamestop stocked it or advertisers it, because ot sought to cut them out of their portion of software profits.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

For an example, see the PSP Go. No Gamestop stocked it or advertisers it, because ot sought to cut them out of their portion of software profits.

This is what I was saying a while back. Don't piss off Gamestop just yet.

The world is definitely becoming more digital, to the point where not including a disc player on consoles coming out in the near future was a serious consideration, but we're still making a slow crawl towards complete digital distribution.

I've heard from friends who work at Gamestop that corporate is basically freaking out though. Doesn't matter for the employees since they're (rightfully) sailing and bailing the place (as you should with any retail job), but corporate is going "Uhhh uhhh resell iPads and iPhones and uhh gently caress Steam/digital distribution God damnit."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Isn't the solution to try and buy the biggest digital distribution startup competitor and use your existing good relationship with console makers to get your service on their next machines?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Isn't the solution to try and buy the biggest digital distribution startup competitor and use your existing good relationship with console makers to get your service on their next machines?

EA recently tried to buy off Valve with less than half their net worth, they pretty much laughed it off.

I don't think Valve will take any buyout. It's not a few kids dicking around with a picture website (instagram), it's a lot of people's life's work, Valve games and Steam are their brainchildren and still receive a lot of love (for free). They're not dumb and they know a big company would trample all over that and ruin their image.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 24, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

For Gamestop, you mean? You mean like when they bought Impulse?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

EA recently tried to buy off Valve with less than half their net worth, they pretty much laughed it off.

I don't think Valve will take any buyout. It's not a few kids dicking around with a picture website (instagram), it's a lot of people's life's work, Valve games and Steam are their brainchildren and still receive a lot of love (for free).

I'm taking about finding the instagram of digital games and buying that. Obviously no one can buy Valve.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

I'm taking about finding the instagram of digital games and buying that. Obviously no one can buy Valve.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

For Gamestop, you mean? You mean like when they bought Impulse?
There's your answer pretty much. They could buy out every other competing service (minus amazon/origin of course) and combine them and it still wouldn't put up much of a fight with Steam.

I mean, it's in the name, Steam has picked up a lot of steam and they're the Juggernaut(:itjb:) making a beeline towards more success and profit. There's no fighting them because other businesses were way too slow to react and now it's too late.

EDIT: Also, really funny that Steam started booming right around the time people were going "Pfft is PC gaming even going to exist anymore? Just get a 360 for a quarter of the price." Maybe that's why no one noticed the little sprout had become a giant loving redwood.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 24, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shelf Adventure posted:

I think it's really too early to say that retailers aren't discounting them. They probably won't, as first party Nintendo stuff usually doesn't get discounted anyway, but the first full retail game on the 3DS only appeared a month ago.
Gamestop carried vouchers for Kid Icarus, Excitebike, Pushmo, SML2, and some other 3DS eShop titles, for months.

They were never discounted.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

zenintrude posted:

You can get the digital version of, let's say Gungrave Overdose, from one source: directly from PSN.

Amazon used to sell XBLA codes you could use to buy games. They just stopped and never said why though.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It's funny that Impulse sells Steam codes, but you have to download said codes through the Impulse application :allears:

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Publishers can afford to offer discounts on their PC games because PC gaming’s presence in retail is nearly non-existent. I implore anyone in the US to try finding a physical copy of Sleeping Dogs for the PC— you can't. In fact, none of Square-Enix's upcoming PC games are even slated to be printed on discs. They clearly aren't gaining very much from having a retail presence, so why continue to waste resources on manufacturing physical copies and staying in good graces with retailers? Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, on the other hand, still depend on stores, like GameStop and BestBuy, to move physical hardware / accessories and maximize their reach. On top of that, as Zenintrude has already mentioned, the number of competitors in a given space plays a significant role in pricing. I can purchase a digital copy of Hitman: Blood Money on the PC from a myriad of different digital distribution services and, as a result, have the ability to get it for much cheaper than the MSRP. However, on the Xbox 360, I can only purchase the game from the Xbox Live Marketplace at the full retail price. Short of buying a physical copy, I do not have any other alternative. With that said, Nintendo could provide promotional discounts to incentivize Wii U users to buy games from Nintendo Network, but odds are that they will opt to offer more Club Nintendo coins for digital purchases instead.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 24, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I think digital prices will eventually have to come down, though that doesn't necessarily mean with the Wii U, or Sony and MS next consoles either. Game developers have a hard enough time convincing me to pay $60+ for a retail copy of a game: there's no way in hell I'm paying that for a version I can't even resell, lend, or give away.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
There are several unannounced titles scheduled to be released during launch window:

quote:

Fils-Aime noted that that more unannounced Wii U games are in development, including some that will release “during the launch window that we haven’t announced yet."

Source

He is probably referring to unannounced third party titles and eShop downloadables that are slated for Q1 2013. Either way, I hope this mitigates the inevitable post-launch drought that nearly every game console experiences.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 25, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
As long as I will be able to transfer my purchases over to another console, I will be happy. It really chafes my rear end that I pretty much have to call and beg Nintendo to transfer my poo poo over because I was given a new Wii to replace the one that overheated because I used a feature that Nintendo advertised.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

If there's a silver lining to having owned only a Wii for an entire generation, it's that I'll be playing catch-up on last year's biggest titles for a while on Wii U, so I don't have to worry about a gaming drought :suicide:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

big mean giraffe posted:

Amazon used to sell XBLA codes you could use to buy games. They just stopped and never said why though.

I'm pretty sure it's because Gamestop got exclusive rights to sell XBL content online.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Operative posted:

There are several unannounced titles scheduled to be released during launch window:

Source

He is probably referring to unannounced third party titles and eShop downloadables that are scheduled for Q1 2013. Either way, I hope this mitigates the inevitable post-launch drought that nearly every game console experiences.

Yet another "Reggie doesn't get it" interview. I know it's all PR and he's not dumb but seriously. We don't care about your big social gaming plan (that much). Just tell us we'll be able to add our dumb friends/people we meet online, on the fly and be able to voice chat with both friends and strangers.

The IGN dude almost straight out said "Look you guys haven't exactly done anything to make gamers trust you with the online front." Reggie just went on and on about "new unique experiences." The last time they talked about "unique" online we got friend codes.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 25, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rake Arms posted:

If there's a silver lining to having owned only a Wii for an entire generation, it's that I'll be playing catch-up on last year's biggest titles for a while on Wii U, so I don't have to worry about a gaming drought :suicide:

Holy poo poo, may your wallet have the strength to survive the opening floodgates of quality gaming...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Gamefly is your friend in this situation. Catch up on games you missed. Keep the ones that you love!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bombadilillo posted:

Gamefly is your friend in this situation. Catch up on games you missed. Keep the ones that you love!

I'd love to use Gamefly to play games but they don't offer the service in Canada :(

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rake Arms posted:

There's always Last Story :v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yet another "Reggie doesn't get it" interview. I know it's all PR and he's not dumb but seriously. We don't care about your big social gaming plan (that much). Just tell us we'll be able to add our dumb friends/people we meet online, on the fly and be able to voice chat with both friends and strangers.

The IGN dude almost straight out said "Look you guys haven't exactly done anything to make gamers trust you with the online front." Reggie just went on and on about "new unique experiences." The last time they talked about "unique" online we got friend codes.

They've already talked about some neat stuff, like being able to check your Nintendo poo poo from your smartphone and pick games to download, then play them when you get home. Steam only just recently added that to their own service, after all, so it was still novel when they came up with it. Gonna be interesting to see how they follow through on it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

He knows what he's being asked, he's just not gonna talk until he's ready to talk, as per every Nintendo rep about anything ever. You're not gonna hear anything about the OS until the next Nintendo Direct at the earliest, and even then we're not gonna know the exact details of how everything works until it's out.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Plus IGN has zero credibility anymore to receive a scoop.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Plus IGN has zero credibility anymore to receive a scoop.

Can anyone receive scoops with Nintendo?

Also, eh. IGN is the only gaming website that bothers to update more than twice a week, unless you count Kotaku.

Kotaku does have its moments where it's the first to report a big, legitimate leak, and they do dev interviews all the time, but god it's just terrible sometimes. The other day they had an article about one guy who didn't like the U pro controller.

At least when IGN does stuff that isn't actually breaking news, they are making neat compilations of all the knowledge we have on an upcoming hardware/software release for those who aren't rabidly digging up information on their own.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 25, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Couple of small bits of news:

EDGE posted a nice preview/hands on of some of the games in Nintendoland.

For you US folk, while amazon.com doesn't offer preorders on the console, they do offer them on the GamePad Pro for some reason, so if you think you might have a hard time finding that it might be worth putting down an order with them.

For us EU people, amazon.co.uk listed the "Join Or Die" edition of Assassin's Creed 3 for preorder (60 GBP), the only outlet to do so so far. I don't care much for special editions in general, but if you're into that, it might be good to know it's coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Here's a weird interview with Miyamoto, not exactly Wii U related, but there's no catch all nintendo thread and it's interesting. For instance in this interview Miyamoto confirms Mario had been practicing medicine without a license.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/09/24/miyamoto-tezuka-interview.aspx

• Locked thread