Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Xguard86 posted:

Went to the massage therapist on Saturday. She said I have some crazy tight rhomboids. Which makes sense because I feel that pinching tightness between my shoulders 24/7... for the last five years or so.

I've done some different things but can't find the magic combo to heal. I think it might be some posture and stress things as well.

Anyone have any tips or experience with chronic tightness or spasms in there central back?

Tennis ball it, every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

swagger like us posted:

Anyways, Im thinking of doing a Wed/Fri/Sun split. Is this a reasonable split for weightlifting with grappling? I don't want to some wonky fad strength workout of 50 burpees to 20 pushups and would rather get into a strength focused lifting program like WFSB. Anyone else here do YLLS Approved lifting with BJJ/MMA?

I do heavy, mostly compound lifts twice a week push/pull. I'm still making steady gains, but obviously less than I would with a more intense regiment. That's the most I can manage while still feeling 100% during practice at my fitness level. Play around and see what works for you.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

swagger like us posted:

Im trying to reintegrate lifting back into my training. Right now at my gym I train gi-BJJ on Monday, Tuesday is an hour of no-gi grappling and then an hour of muay thai, wednesday's I work, Thurs is no-gi and then muay thai again, friday's is off, and open mat is on saturdays which coming up soon I won't be able to go to again.

Before I started BJJ again I loved Westside For Skinny Bastards and I think I want to do that program again. I'm pretty out of shape conditionning wise (I'm usually dead-tired halfway through Muay Thai which sucks because my pad work gets super sloppy). I might switch to Tues only doing kickboxing, and Thurs only doing grappling.

Anyways, Im thinking of doing a Wed/Fri/Sun split. Is this a reasonable split for weightlifting with grappling? I don't want to some wonky fad strength workout of 50 burpees to 20 pushups and would rather get into a strength focused lifting program like WFSB. Anyone else here do YLLS Approved lifting with BJJ/MMA?
I used to do w4sb when I started bjj and really enjoyed it. It was tough to find the energy at first but my body got used to it.

This year though I've spent my time at the gym on 5/3/1 and feel great.

My week looks like this

Mon - conditioning/no gi
Tue - gi
Wed - 5/3/1 military
Thurs - 5/3/1 squat
Friday - off
Sat(am) - 5/3/1 bench
Sat(pm) - gi
Sun(am) - 5/3/1 deadlift
Sun(pm) - conditioning/no gi

Conditioning includes suicides, burpees/sprawling, lots of jumping, crawling, all that fun stuff.

I used to do more bjj but because of work I can't make it to the classes during the week, which is why I switched to a 4 day program so that I'm at least improving in something else.

My lifts are making steady progress so I would definitely recommend 5/3/1. I do the "boring but big" variation.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A little off topic, but Carolina Panthers safety Haruki Nakamura landed a pretty sweet throw 2 weeks ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBihrMYNqjE

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That is pretty cool.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
In No-gi, I finally hit a d'arce choke setup. However, it was in transition so I hit it, locked it in, but he caught my leg and got me into halfguard (he was on the bottom). No matter how much I squeezed, based out and pushed down I couldn't seem to get the choke. If I had just side control, I would sprawl out (correct?) and get on my toes and put as much weight as possible, but how do I finish the choke from top halfguard?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Instead of trying to finish the choke, work on holding onto the head and arm while passing to side or mount. Then you'll be in a much better position to finish the choke.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
You can still finish the d'arce in half-guard, the angle of your body doesn't matter that much as long as you make sure that his arm is actually properly tucked underneath his chin to compress the artery. The thing is that it's easier to jimmy it in there if it wasn't already when you are able to move around more but it's not impossible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
FloWrestling put out an anticipation video for the upcoming collegiate wrestling season

It owns.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Instead of trying to finish the choke, work on holding onto the head and arm while passing to side or mount. Then you'll be in a much better position to finish the choke.

He had his halfguard locked down enough that the only way I could pass was to let go and switch hips and push his leg away. Is there any sort of pass I could've used while still holding the d'arce?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
http://www.mginaction.com/VideoDetails.aspx?VideoId=9387

It isn't the exact position but it is head and arm control. You could try this and similar passes using your instep/foot whatever.

Here is a thing(skip to 0:45):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ti-8EvfVSY

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 28, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bec_CVKUWuU

Here's a pretty cool, if lovely quality, video of Marcelo and Maia rolling. I know it's just rolling and not serious, but seeing Maia get swept and submitted like that is just weird (marcelo owns).

edit: Got a better quality version.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 3, 2012

Inertiatic
Apr 9, 2004
Thinking about picking up another gi to supplement my Fushida Komodo. Would have just gotten another one but the Komodo is discontinued, and the CompGS apparently has a really short skirt, and I don't want to take the gamble and find that I don't like it.

What are your guys' opinions on the Atama Mundial 9 vs something a little pricier like an Isami? Any other suggestions for high quality, non-blingy yet nice looking gis?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Inertiatic posted:

Thinking about picking up another gi to supplement my Fushida Komodo. Would have just gotten another one but the Komodo is discontinued, and the CompGS apparently has a really short skirt, and I don't want to take the gamble and find that I don't like it.

What are your guys' opinions on the Atama Mundial 9 vs something a little pricier like an Isami? Any other suggestions for high quality, non-blingy yet nice looking gis?

Not sure about bjj gi's but my Atama double weave judo gi is the best gi I've ever owned.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Padilla and Sons has a pretty great deal going right now (gold weave gi for $110). They aren't flashy at all but they're super sturdy with tons of reinforced stitching.

widunder
May 2, 2002

colonel_korn posted:

Padilla and Sons has a pretty great deal going right now (gold weave gi for $110). They aren't flashy at all but they're super sturdy with tons of reinforced stitching.
Do these run small? I'm A2 in Koral and Atama, should I be getting an A3 from P&S? Do they fit slim or baggy?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
If no one knows you can probably call the Padilla guy and ask. He's supposed to have great customer service.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Chexoid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bec_CVKUWuU

Here's a pretty cool, if lovely quality, video of Marcelo and Maia rolling. I know it's just rolling and not serious, but seeing Maia get swept and submitted like that is just weird (marcelo owns).

edit: Got a better quality version.

Maia hasn't been training purely BJJ for quite a while now, which might account for how weird it appears.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

nemoulette posted:

Do these run small? I'm A2 in Koral and Atama, should I be getting an A3 from P&S? Do they fit slim or baggy?

I'm 6'0 and about 185 lbs and I have an A3 (or size 5 under their system) -- the jacket is about right for me (slightly on the baggy side if anything), and the pants are a little on the short side. So take that for what it's worth, I guess.

widunder
May 2, 2002

colonel_korn posted:

I'm 6'0 and about 185 lbs and I have an A3 (or size 5 under their system) -- the jacket is about right for me (slightly on the baggy side if anything), and the pants are a little on the short side. So take that for what it's worth, I guess.
Just bought an Atama :smith: Next gi will definitely be a P&S then, we're the same size kinda (I'm 185/6'1)

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
No pants for you!

widunder
May 2, 2002

the least weasel posted:

No pants for you!
come on son

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Anyone else competing at NAGA in NJ on November 17th?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Reminder to grappling nerds - the metamoris pro is starting like, right now (it's already late :braziliantime:)

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Metamoris picks: I got Glover (but rooting for Caio), Kron, Galvao, Lavato, Xande, Roger, but would not be surprised if Buchecha or Lister win.

Here's the livesteam (20 bucks)

http://metamoris.com/live-stream

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I think the format really favors Lister, actually; if I had to bet, I'd bet on a tie, but I'd consider Lister significantly more likely to sub Xande than the converse.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Finally starting, they're introing the fighters.

Hahaha, the mat is a raised platform? Any bets on who's the first to get double-legged into the front row?

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Nice! I love Caio Terra.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Subparr posted:

Nice! I love Caio Terra.

haha, that shin-against-the-head scissors armbar position I was just showing someone the other day; a brown belt showed it to me years and years ago and that's the first time I've ever seen anyone do it in competition.

Great match. It's interestingto see the guardwork in a gi match that doesn't have the ibjjf's retarded reaping rules.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

if I had to bet, I'd bet on a tie

Xande came closer than I thought he would, but iirc Lister's never been submitted in competition and I'd have been pretty surprised if Xande had been the first.

widunder
May 2, 2002

fatherdog posted:

haha, that shin-against-the-head scissors armbar position I was just showing someone the other day; a brown belt showed it to me years and years ago and that's the first time I've ever seen anyone do it in competition.

Great match. It's interestingto see the guardwork in a gi match that doesn't have the ibjjf's retarded reaping rules.
Jeff Glover is so drat entertaining. Great match.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I just wanted to say that this format was amazing to watch. Really hope this catches on because I could watch that every weekend, poo poo every day!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I didn't have the opportunity to see this live. Is there some alternative way to view it? Will they be selling a dvd/digital download or something?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bohemian Nights posted:

I didn't have the opportunity to see this live. Is there some alternative way to view it? Will they be selling a dvd/digital download or something?

Would really like to have access to this too. I hope they don't take too long to put this to DVD/download so there's an alternative to :filez:

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 15, 2012

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Hopefully this doesn't count as :filez: since I think it was filmed from the stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mWQL0ptXDQ

:aaa:

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

Hopefully this doesn't count as :filez: since I think it was filmed from the stands.

good googly moogly

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

colonel_korn posted:

Roger's giant inhale when he reaches top guard again is hilarious. Bucheca seems like a Velazquez type in that he's way fast for his size.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Do whatever you can to watch that event imo. All the guys were awesome and you see things you'd never see in competition, like Ryon Gracie giving Andre Galvao mount so he could hit the sweep.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
So I was at the event yesterday, I sat basically two rows above and across the ring from the scoring table. (I didn't buy tickets there, we just moved there once the event started, nobody in the arena seemed to pay for the expensive seats). i'll post a pic later when I'm at home.

I have no idea how the stream was but the event was amazing and there really wasn't a bad seat in the house. People were real grumpy about the first match being a show match for the first 10 min or so, and if they had all been like that the crowd would have been very pissed off.

fatherdog posted:

Xande came closer than I thought he would, but iirc Lister's never been submitted in competition and I'd have been pretty surprised if Xande had been the first.

I'll see Dean today or tomorrow and ask him how close it was, but you can't submit Dean, it just doesn't work. That format only favors him, it's like tailor made for Dean. And he was about a second away from taking Xande's leg home with him. Xande also wanted no part of doing anything but stalling on the feet which I found distasteful (durr wrestling).

The whole thing was great, and for $35 it was way worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Where are the results?