Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

cathead posted:

Thanks for that. But holy crap how does she keep injuring herself?!

Fight Club.

Also speaking of people comparing Cronus and Eridan I think it would be kinda cool if Eridan talked to Cronus and be nailed by a massive horrifying wave of self awareness, so he can become a better person by the time Vriska and Tavros breaks all the dead people out of the afterlife.

But it'd be funny if they talked and just complained about their personal problems and never learn a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Whitenoise Poster posted:

But it'd be funny if they talked and just complained about their personal problems and never learn a thing.

It'd be funny if they mutually asked each other out, and mutually turned each other down.

But I don't think we'll see Eridan, Feferi, Nepeta and Equius again. Their elements (Hope, Life, Heart and Void) belong to the alpha kids. They died to leave room for Jake, Jane, Dirk and Roxy.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man so many little things surprised me about this update. Like how the 4chan troll ends up being surprisingly sympathetic (brain injury aside), how it's possible for an Ampora to be an even bigger loser than Eridan, Karkat and Meenah getting along, etc.

It looks like Gamzee and Kurloz have embraced Lord English as their god, and are set to do his bidding willingly and directly - if I understood that scene, which I may not have. I'd always expected a few characters to go over to Lord English's side, it looks like the trolls should've put him down when they had the chance. Isn't Karkat supposed to be keeping a lid on him with the whole moiraillegience thing?

One point I thought was interesting was when Cronus hit Meenah on how her alternate universe self had been a monster to Mituna, and how Meenah actually seemed to reflect on that a bit and feel some discomfort. Really helps her character to portray her hero-self-worship as being sort of shallow and childish rather than psychotic.

So I guess Meenah's going to raise up her ghost army of Beforus trolls at some point or another and get them all re-killed fighting Lord English? Seems like an effective use of introducing all these minor characters, making their re-deaths sympathetic.

Oh, and I really hope the Beforus Nitram reveal is being saved for Tavros coming across him (Rufioe?) and getting a lesson in real confidence.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Cat Mattress posted:

But I don't think we'll see Eridan, Feferi, Nepeta and Equius again. Their elements (Hope, Life, Heart and Void) belong to the alpha kids. They died to leave room for Jake, Jane, Dirk and Roxy.

But Aradia and Kanaya are still alive, and Vriska and Tavros are still in the picture, and they all share elements with the Beta kids.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

I've seen the theory that Darkleer will be Reddit floating around... I can only hope that it turns out to be false and that it makes you a falsehood saying person. :ohdear:

Oh gently caress no, that's the only way someone can be even more awful than Cronus.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Technique posted:

Oh gently caress no, that's the only way someone can be even more awful than Cronus.

Nothing can be more awful than Cronus.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

WAR FOOT posted:

I've seen the theory that Darkleer will be Reddit floating around... I can only hope that it turns out to be false and that it makes you a falsehood saying person. :ohdear:

We already have a racist, self-obsessed, entitled, borderline rapist creep. Why would we need another Troll to be Reddit?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

We already have a racist, self-obsessed, entitled, borderline rapist creep. Why would we need another Troll to be Reddit?

We still need an r/atheism to balance out all the religious stuff with the Sufferer and the mirthful messiahs.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Dolash posted:

Oh, and I really hope the Beforus Nitram reveal is being saved for Tavros coming across him (Rufioe?) and getting a lesson in real confidence.
Fingers crossed for Beforus Nitram to be the coolest motherfucker in the entire comic

Fingers also crossed for Beforus Zahaak to be the gooniest motherfucker in the entire comic. Maybe he'll be a somethingawful parody? It could happen, guys.

Mister Gutsy
May 6, 2012

You love having a dead sister. Having a dead sister is an experience you would highly recommend to everybody.

Constable Lemon posted:

We still need an r/atheism to balance out all the religious stuff with the Sufferer and the mirthful messiahs.

I think Eridan filled that niche long ago. Science wands :pseudo:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I like Kurloz because every time his face pops up it reminds me of Batman Forever, and that's a movie that really belongs at the forefront of our conscious thoughts.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Constable Lemon posted:

Eridan, Karkat, and Kankri are all atheist (or whatever) as far as I can tell.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Are you talking about Eridan or Cronus? Or Kankri, for that matter.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

snucks posted:

Fingers crossed for Beforus Nitram to be the coolest motherfucker in the entire comic

Fingers also crossed for Beforus Zahaak to be the gooniest motherfucker in the entire comic. Maybe he'll be a somethingawful parody? It could happen, guys.

Johnny Zahhak. Steampunk robot engineer. Sweats just as much, no strength to speak of.

"D --> Please, Meenah, he had a 100sus"

Edit - also realized I missed the bit with Karkat and Terezi, that bit was neat. Looks like there's a bit of a Davesprite and Jade parallel going on with Dave and Terezi, and I'm glad to see Karkat and Terezi still get along. Karkat's really sounding more and more reasonable by the day, it's nuts. Maybe it's just being around all these Beforus douchebags.

That bit where he sort of alluded to how flat and two-dimensional they feel... there's some ups and some downs to this "-bound" format, one of the ups being a crazy amount of dialogue, exposition and characterization but one of the downs being they kind of feel like they're going by fast and don't add much narrative weight to these new characters.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 24, 2012

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Normally I'd almost wonder if Hussie was setting us up to have some big moment to see how all the Beforus troll's interpersonal disasters played out in tandem(much like the Alternia troll's "Make Her Pay" segment and parts before revealed to us a lot of hows and whys), but he's given out so many details I'm not sure he'd retread that ground so soon just to do so. Especially since even he might not want to spend a whole lot of time on these goofballs.

To that end, I guess my assumption is that we'll just end up getting a bit more traditionally given info on that later on to tie up all the Beforus plot stuff in a shiny bow, possibly if Kurloz's treachery comes to a head, and all is revealed about his machinations past and present.

Alternately, maybe we'll just get a comically brusque explanation about the whole thing, like when Meenah basically summed up things as "I blew us all up with a bomb."

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Every walkaround flash just keeps getting better and better, I can't wait to see the last bunch of trolls, their quirks and their eventual backstory-dump from Aranea. Also, Dave gettin' all the ladies. Just wait, and we'll find out a Beta-Dave is hanging with Roxy or some poo poo.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I like how even though we were led to believe that A1 was an ordinary place to live and A2 was batshit crazy, the A1 trolls are all insane at best, and "racist, self-obsessed, entitled, borderline rapist" at worst. The A2 trolls are well balanced and stable in comparison, what with karkat and terezi's mature self esteem conversation and aradia's good natured desire to help. Hell, it's saying something when you can compare gamzee and kurloz and find that gamzee is the more rational one.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Rooreelooo posted:

Hell, it's saying something when you can compare gamzee and kurloz and find that gamzee is the more rational one.

There's still a lot of time left in the story for you to come to eat those words. :unsmigghh:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

people posted:

kurloz/gamzee chat

It might be just the silhouette-y thing going on in Kurloz's secret crypt space, but Gamzee's face scratches there are the color of his blood. We've already seen that they heal over as scars, so does this mean that (personal timeline-wise) the Gamzee here may still be in the middle of Horrorstuck? Has there been another time his face scratches have glowed the color of his blood that I'm not remembering?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

His symbol and eyes don't glow in the dark either, I think that was just for dramatic effect.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Cabbit posted:

His symbol and eyes don't glow in the dark either, I think that was just for dramatic effect.

Aslo I think it's been theorized that these walkarounds are taking place before Jane enters her session, and therefore before Gamzee appears in all his potion-peddling codpiece-covered glory. So it could be that Gamzee is just gaming his ancestor to get what he needs to go god tier... if he hadn't already.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Rooreelooo posted:

I like how even though we were led to believe that A1 was an ordinary place to live and A2 was batshit crazy, the A1 trolls are all insane at best, and "racist, self-obsessed, entitled, borderline rapist" at worst. The A2 trolls are well balanced and stable in comparison, what with karkat and terezi's mature self esteem conversation and aradia's good natured desire to help. Hell, it's saying something when you can compare gamzee and kurloz and find that gamzee is the more rational one.

At the same time, we've been told that Alternia was largely a violent and insane place, and that the A2 trolls were all defective outliers in some way who didn't fit in with the mold. So the A2 trolls would have been more at home in Beforus, and the A1 trolls might have been more at home in Alternia.

Actually, we've seen the A1 trolls be more at home in Alternia, haven't we? They all had quite the lives that we saw through bisexual pirate stories and insufferable expository monologue.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Factory Factory posted:

At the same time, we've been told that Alternia was largely a violent and insane place, and that the A2 trolls were all defective outliers in some way who didn't fit in with the mold. So the A2 trolls would have been more at home in Beforus, and the A1 trolls might have been more at home in Alternia.

Actually, we've seen the A1 trolls be more at home in Alternia, haven't we? They all had quite the lives that we saw through bisexual pirate stories and insufferable expository monologue.

What's interesting is that while Cronus is still romance obsessed and completely inept (and apparently a serial killer of lusui given the name "Orphaner"), it's Aranea that grew up to be the self-important rapist, all out of a desire to give no shits about what anybody thinks. :geno:

I don't think any of the other trolls did a complete flip like that, except maybe Kankri and that's only because he didn't have a real cause to work for in Beforus.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Factory Factory posted:

I don't think the A1 trolls as they stand would actually enjoy Alternia very much. Like a pack of teenagers they're all reveling in how "cool" and "bad rear end" their alternate universe selves were, but once they start getting pressed on the grisly details it makes them uncomfortable. Their upbringing is more in keeping with a peaceful civil society, even if we've seen what they could become in a psychotic world of blood and violence.

I imagine if many of the A2 trolls had the chance to really consider living on Beforus and not having the horrible lives they did, most would come around on the idea. It might be comparable to comfortable suburban teenagers wishing they were born in the middle east so they could be taking part in all these revolutions and uprisings, when really they're just not appreciating how lucky they are to live somewhere safe and comfortable.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
God I hope Vriska shows up in the last bit. I want to see her and Meenah hit it off and go on crazy afterlife adventures.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Luminous Obscurity posted:

God I hope Vriska shows up in the last bit. I want to see her and Meenah hit it off and go on crazy afterlife adventures.

You know drat well they'd both just bicker about who gets to be in charge.

... I wanna see it, too.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Meenah drags Karkat off with her. John spends his entire time on the boat asleep and dreaming because being on the boat sucks and ends up being dragged along by Vriska and they all go off and have sweet adventures and return at the last second to defeat Lord English.

And that is what Meenah calls a double-date.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Ayana posted:

What's interesting is that while Cronus is still romance obsessed and completely inept (and apparently a serial killer of lusui given the name "Orphaner"), it's Aranea that grew up to be the self-important rapist, all out of a desire to give no shits about what anybody thinks. :geno:

When did Aranea do anything of the sort? I get the self-important part, but I don't remember Aranea/Mindfang ever raping or sexually assaulting someone.

Also, I do believe Cronus and Eridan to be opposites. Not complete opposites. That wouldn't make sense, but they do seem to possess opposite motivations about everything.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

I believe they are referring to the Mindfang journal entries Vriska had.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005407

Mindfang mind controls a lowblood for sloppy makeouts infront of Dualscar.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ayana posted:

I don't think any of the other trolls did a complete flip like that, except maybe Kankri and that's only because he didn't have a real cause to work for in Beforus.

I'm sorry, wait, how is Aranea a rapist? What did I miss?

Oh, Ok so you're talking about Mindfang, not Beforus Aranea.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

In addition, it's implied that the lowblood slave is the Dolorosa.

VVV I don't think Kurloz is speaking at all, it seems more like telepathy to me.

Line Feed fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 24, 2012

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
Neat flash. Overall thoughts;

- I agree that this batch of trolls is thoroughly less likable than the other set we've seen so far. Cronus is an rear end in a top hat, Mituna is annoying to read (though his conversation with Cronus did make him seem sympathetic) and Kurloz is probably the creepiest thing in the comic so far. Meulin's kinda cool though, and I didn't enjoy Nepeta's poo poo at all; maybe it was just a refreshing change from the other trolls
- I almost think that Kurloz was being mind-controlled by the codpiece to some extent, as was Meulin (obviously) Mostly because that kind of speech does not seem natural. It wouldn't surprise me if the codpiece had major Lord English influence on it
- Also how was he talking with his mouth sewn shut anyway? And did he talk in the purple creepy text before he got the codpiece and had an open mouth? These are the kinds of things I think about
- I find it neat that Beforus was ultra-coddling, which is a vibe I've gotten from Tumblr in the past. And seeing how some of the trolls' more annoying qualities were a product of Beforus (e.g. Kankri) was interesting

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Really, this latest flash is just continued evidence of Porrim's status as Best Troll.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So I just noticed something with this update that may connect to what was going on in John tantrum theater: Both areas seem to be having "Dave problems". Davesprite (or Dave Sprite) dumped Jade. Normal Dave seems to have dumped Terezi. Maybe there's something strange going on with the Daves that has to do with LE. Normal Dave saw the effects of the end of act flash and maybe somehow got a hold of Davesprite to try and do something. So he broke ties in preparation for going after LE (at some point).

Who's dumb and has two thumbs? This guy. (Thumb gesture)

Crain fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 24, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Crain posted:

Normal Dave seems to have dumped Terezi.

Except Terezi explicitly said he didn't? And that her problem wasn't with Dave at all?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Except Terezi explicitly said he didn't? And that her problem wasn't with Dave at all?

...gently caress. Well not sure how I hosed that one up.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Maybe that was a Beterezi, perhaps the one who had let Vriska go and was killed by Bec Noir. She's hiding her eyes to hide the fact that they're empty white, and seeing Alpha Karkat is all sorts of emotions and gunk about the life she screwed herself out of.

Except now Terezi is a sweep older than that Beterezi would be, so maybe that doesn't make super sense.

Fantasy Tripe
Nov 4, 2009

When it said that all Kurloz's creepy LE devotion started after he had a dream, did anyone else assume that it was Gamzee inflicting a chucklevoodoo on him with some LE assisted time-fuckery? Essentially making him the originator of the Subjuggulators and yet another self-originating time loop. :ohdear:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Factory Factory posted:

Maybe that was a Beterezi, perhaps the one who had let Vriska go and was killed by Bec Noir. She's hiding her eyes to hide the fact that they're empty white, and seeing Alpha Karkat is all sorts of emotions and gunk about the life she screwed herself out of.

Except now Terezi is a sweep older than that Beterezi would be, so maybe that doesn't make super sense.

This brings up a hilarious point: if John ever meets Vriska, she'll only still be 13. Ew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A friend of mine called Porrim a stupid useless slut; coupled with other things I've heard him say in the past, I'm sincerely starting to wonder if he's a misogynist :ohdear: