Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I was in there the day that the Aurora shooting happened, and the lady checking me out had been up since 2am because a friend of hers got killed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

Hey man, they got all of their bases covered.

Ordered this torque wrench from Sears.com and received this:

I hope that the nice man in KY won't need his plastic bin this weekend much like I needed my torque wrench for a track day. :ohdear:

I'm not sure if I should use the customer information line when I go to return this tomorrow...

Resolution! I turned my plastic bin into the 1/2 inch drive clicker today. I guess Sears kinda is sensitive to customers receiver other customers' stuff.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro-clicker-torque-wrench-1-2inch-drive/p-00931425000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I don't care about the 2.5/5 rating, I got this poo poo for 22 bucks! :toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Radbot posted:

There are worse things than being buddies with your HF staff - I've heard one can get 20% off on tool chests and the like if you are.

I pulled that off just recently with my new cabinet.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I bought a Harbor Freight 20 ton press the other day. It did the job but it is kind of bare bones. What kinds of things can I get cheap and use for spacers and shims for the press? I got a bunch of scrap pieces of 1/8" steel from my friend but it takes a lot of shims to raise something up an inch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

I bought a Harbor Freight 20 ton press the other day. It did the job but it is kind of bare bones. What kinds of things can I get cheap and use for spacers and shims for the press? I got a bunch of scrap pieces of 1/8" steel from my friend but it takes a lot of shims to raise something up an inch.

Bar stock is your friend. Should be under a few bucks a foot for 1/4"x2" and under $5 for 1/2"x2" in small quantities (and probably $1 a cut or whatever the dig you for in addition).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Any car/bicycle guys in here ever use an standard air compressor hose to inflate a bike with presta valve? I'm having some trouble finding an inflator made for presta. There are some presta/schrader adapters, but they look very cheap and seem like a kludge, not sure how well they would work. Is there something that is just made for presta without an adapter?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
They work fine. It's the only way I have to fill my presta valve'd tires. Dedicated bike hand pumps can usually be had with a presta valve.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just get the adapter. It works fine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need a new cordless drill.

Recommend me a gun-shaped device with which I shall make small holes in things.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I need a new cordless drill.

Recommend me a gun-shaped device with which I shall make small holes in things.

I love my Milwaukee M18 drill and driver more than I should probably love a drill. It makes lots of holes and gives no fucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love my Milwaukee M18 drill and driver more than I should probably love a drill. It makes lots of holes and gives no fucks.

Holy poo poo, only $200? That's a steal. I have a corded impact but a portable one is pretty tempting. What have you tackled job-wise with it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not a whole lot that would really need it, but it comes in handy even for relatively low-effort tasks. I think the closest I've ever come to making it actually work hard was putting some roughly 3/8" bolts in an aviary where just about everything had a fine layer of oxidation (no full on rust, just enough to make the screws try to stick in their threads). I put a decent twist in the Allen driver, but it spun every one of those screws in no problem.

In theory it actually puts out enough torque to do a lug nut, but I haven't bought a 1/4" hex to 3/8" square drive adapter yet to try it.

I've given the drill more of a workout (cutting holes with a lovely Harbor Freight holesaw and a dull spade bit I borrowed from my dad, drilling out rivets) and it doesn't skip a beat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not a whole lot that would really need it, but it comes in handy even for relatively low-effort tasks. I think the closest I've ever come to making it actually work hard was putting some roughly 3/8" bolts in an aviary where just about everything had a fine layer of oxidation (no full on rust, just enough to make the screws try to stick in their threads). I put a decent twist in the Allen driver, but it spun every one of those screws in no problem.

In theory it actually puts out enough torque to do a lug nut, but I haven't bought a 1/4" hex to 3/8" square drive adapter yet to try it.

I've given the drill more of a workout (cutting holes with a lovely Harbor Freight holesaw and a dull spade bit I borrowed from my dad, drilling out rivets) and it doesn't skip a beat.

Sounds like a decent drill then. My last good cordless was a makita my ex refused to give back when i moved out and I've been using a $15 meijer clearance drill since then.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, only $200? That's a steal. I have a corded impact but a portable one is pretty tempting. What have you tackled job-wise with it?

You could probably pick up a cheap Jennings saturday night special for less than that if you don't mind all holes being exactly .25".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like a decent drill then. My last good cordless was a makita my ex refused to give back when i moved out and I've been using a $15 meijer clearance drill since then.

I was deciding between this and the equivalent Makitas, but what sold me on the Milwaukee was the charger - apparently if you leave a lithium battery on Makita's charger, it will sit there and cycle it forever, whereas the Milwaukee will charge it and be done with it.

Of course, lithium batteries charge so fast and last so well that I hardly ever have to dick with the charger. That's a lot of what made me fall in love with it - it's easily as powerful as some of my dad's 30+ year old Black and Decker corded drills, but it's lighter and a lot easier to use.

The only downside is that the compact batteries that come with the kit I linked can't be used in some tools, like the actual Sawzall; but they do make a smaller Hackzall that does work with the compact batteries, and I can testify that it cuts like a motherfucker, too.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
the Milwaukee M18 drill/drivers are great, I use two of them every day at work. They are light, comfortable and tough also batteries seem to hold up well.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was deciding between this and the equivalent Makitas, but what sold me on the Milwaukee was the charger - apparently if you leave a lithium battery on Makita's charger, it will sit there and cycle it forever, whereas the Milwaukee will charge it and be done with it.

Of course, lithium batteries charge so fast and last so well that I hardly ever have to dick with the charger. That's a lot of what made me fall in love with it - it's easily as powerful as some of my dad's 30+ year old Black and Decker corded drills, but it's lighter and a lot easier to use.

The only downside is that the compact batteries that come with the kit I linked can't be used in some tools, like the actual Sawzall; but they do make a smaller Hackzall that does work with the compact batteries, and I can testify that it cuts like a motherfucker, too.

Nope. The Makita charger shuts down charging about an hour after the battery light goes solid. I assume its topping off the battery, but the fan shuts off and it stops drawing any power from the wall.

I'd lean for either the Milwaukee or Makita. Ridgid has the "Lifetime Service Agreement", but you have to send EVERYTHING back to them at your expense if you need a battery changed out. Everything, as in every tool, the charger, and the other batteries. Basically, consider yourself out of work for 8-12 weeks while they swap a battery. Plus, Ridgid has basically ZERO additional tools other than drill, impact, sawzall, light, and circ saw.

Milwaukee has a poo poo-ton of tools, from borescopes to PEX compression tools, that run on their M18 LithIon batteries.

Makita is my personal choice. I got their 5-piece kit as a wedding present, and I've added the circ saw, vacuum (seriously), and LED Light. I've got 2 chargers and 2 batteries, and I've never run out of juice in the middle of a project. The drill's been dropped off a ladder a few times, and I adore their stuff. I just wish the sawzall had orbital motion like the Ridgid.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 24, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Bought the M18 set cause of this thread. Hope it is good.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
That M18 set is looking very tempting for changing wheels/tires at the track. Does it have preset torque settings, or would I have to get a set of torque sticks?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You'd need torque sticks.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
e: nevermind

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

Brigdh posted:

That M18 set is looking very tempting for changing wheels/tires at the track. Does it have preset torque settings, or would I have to get a set of torque sticks?

That looks like the same impact driver I have (I have the big batteries, though), and there is no way in the world it would budge a lug nut. It claims 1400in-lb, but that is optimistically ideal. I use mine on bolts all the time, and it frequently doesn't have the power. It has the hex 3/16" shank or whatever is the standard size. That is nuts. Would you try to remove a lug nut with a 1/4" ratchet? (I am guessing the answer is yes for many of you, given how often you break your tools).

It's nice, but not for that application.

I think I got a three piece tool set, with the drill, driver, and sawzall, and the big batteries, for $379 shipped refurb.

CatBus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 24, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I have the DeWalt 20v kit and it works well for me. :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

the Milwaukee M18 drill/drivers are great, I use two of them every day at work. They are light, comfortable and tough also batteries seem to hold up well.

Confirming this. My step dad is a professional contractor who uses his tools to make a living. The Milwaukee stuff is loving awesome. His favorite thing is probably his little M12 1/4" hex driver. He uses that thing for everything.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-91223.html

My 7" grinder is killing my arms when trying to grind off welds in tight spots.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-91223.html

HUGE piece of poo poo. Literally caught on fire while using a wire wheel to remove paint.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I got my first Snap-On tool last week: 1/4 inch ratchet. So nice and so many teeth :swoon:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

I've got one. Been using it on and off for a while and it seems fine. It's obviously subject to getting one that catches on fire or blows up, like anything else from HF. Consistency between samples is never so great for them.

So with one that is apparently as good as it gets, it's underpowered (compared to red or blue colored tools) but usable. For $20, I'm not sure one could reasonably expect much more. It gets the job done.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

IOwnCalculus posted:

Guy at my work has these and I use them occasionally. They're loving fantastic. I wish I'd have bought them instead of my DeWalts, and I love my DeWalts. For those wondering, it will not break a lug nut loose, but its still torquey as hell. Buy it.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

stevobob posted:

I got my first Snap-On tool last week: 1/4 inch ratchet. So nice and so many teeth :swoon:

Which one did you get? My favorite is the flex head. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=647032&group_ID=682476&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog I love this ratchet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone have the $15 HF timing light? Is it cool to skimp on a timing light or should I invest in a higher quality one?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

veedubfreak posted:

I have one, I got it on sale for like $8 years ago. The one I got is a good one. I'm kind of amazed at how much of a beating it can take, as I bought it to be disposable. I've cut countless bolts. I cut exhaust. I cut brackets. I keep it in the back of the auto parts store I work at, and it stands up to all of the random abuse there too. It's magic.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

leica posted:

Anyone have the $15 HF timing light? Is it cool to skimp on a timing light or should I invest in a higher quality one?

That's not even really skimping. Timing lights are simple as gently caress, I'd buy it without a second thought. Take it out and test it on your car before you drive away, you'll know immediately if you have to return it.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

leica posted:

It is a flashing light.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No loving poo poo.

I just know that some HF tools are crap, and If I should just get a Craftsman or something instead, because I've had flashlights that are pieces of poo poo. Thanks for your help though.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

leica posted:

Anyone have the $15 HF timing light?

I had one briefly a couple years ago. It got returned when I found the clip wouldn't fit over some of my plug wires without nicking the insulation.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have the HF timing light. It works.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm not sure I would trust harbor freight's notoriously notorious bad electronics with something important like engine timing. Maybe it's dumb but I feel better about the equus light I bought on Amazon. The one I bought has a tach read out and runs like seventy bucks (it was cheaper when I got it) but they have a lower end model for like $35. I wouldn't buy the more expensive model again personally because you really don't need any of the features on a Miata, but it is a nice light and well built so I expect to have it for a while.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 29, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it seems like it would be hard to screw up a timing light but I'm sure it's possible, HF electric tools have always been hit or miss. But for 15 bucks I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Electronics are scary and are indistinguishable from magic!

(buy the HF, there's no way that it's going to be "off")