Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

Hey, if a S3 T3 I3 model manages to kill a MEq character he's entitled to daemonhood.

If I can give them a fist or an axe I'll take those odds any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TheKingslayer posted:

If I can give them a fist or an axe I'll take those odds any time.

You can't. They're crap-tastic Cultists (which is why I love them so). You can Mark them, which is a significant boost, but they're still statistically inferior and it would be an outside chance to survive a run-in with a Space Marine.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

SRM posted:

Glad you enjoyed it! Be sure to follow my expert strategies and tactics like "let your command squads get eaten by trees" and "forget to use large portions of your army" and you'll do great!

I do love that they remembered to mention you can't take a cover save from the trees that are attacking you.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Oh look another SRM batrep. Kicked rear end. Par for the course.
Here's a couple pics from a 1000 pt. game from a few days ago. We did vanguard strike. Mission was the relic.

http://imgur.com/Cvv7V my friend's grey knights. he used some of my AoBR ultramarines for a counts-as strike squad.

http://imgur.com/lbzwc

http://imgur.com/YnGLO Didn't take as many pictures as I'd have liked but this was my deployment.

http://imgur.com/zrF0j And the grey knight deployment. Note the basecoated dreadknight.

http://imgur.com/9g9MJ I think this was from turn 3. I got really lucky during turn 2's shooting phase and managed to drop the dreadknight with one of my venoms before it got to do anything but move. Felt kind of bad cuz it was my friend's very first game fielding it but welp!

http://imgur.com/qYcYu I think this was the end of my first turn's movement. I only know because the dreadknight is still alive.

http://imgur.com/hOHCi Very near the end of the game. The grey knights are about to charge into the center to claim the relic.

I got smashed that game, only managing to get 1 point from first blood. At the end of turn 5 I was looking at about 10 grey knights plus draigo camping the relic with a dreadnought in the back doing its thing.

In all it was a good game. I tried a few different things out but made a lot of costly errors and whiffed some important attacks. Grey knights are worthy opponents.

bonus: here's another squad of my friend alex's world eaters.
http://imgur.com/3QBH8

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

You can't. They're crap-tastic Cultists (which is why I love them so). You can Mark them, which is a significant boost, but they're still statistically inferior and it would be an outside chance to survive a run-in with a Space Marine.

It will be, but hopefully between marks and all it'll be really cool when one actually wins.

I really wish they would have put human psykers or some kind of unit upgrade to give them an un-sanctioned witch to play with.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

SRM posted:

Glad you enjoyed it! Be sure to follow my expert strategies and tactics like "let your command squads get eaten by trees" and "forget to use large portions of your army" and you'll do great!

Funny, I always forget something when I'm playing my IG. One time, I forgot to turn my Russes around. Oh, I paid for that mistake. I started using a checklist because:
1. I forgot to move the unit, 2. Forgot to have the unit shoot, or 3. Forgot to issue orders in the shooting phase. It really, really helps.

Edit: Adding the weapons to the checklist also helps me remember what I can fire each turn.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

CaptainPete posted:

Funny, I always forget something when I'm playing my IG. One time, I forgot to turn my Russes around. Oh, I paid for that mistake. I started using a checklist because:
1. I forgot to move the unit, 2. Forgot to have the unit shoot, or 3. Forgot to issue orders in the shooting phase. It really, really helps.

Edit: Adding the weapons to the checklist also helps me remember what I can fire each turn.

I use dice to mark what units I have moved and what units I have shot with. I also mark my units with two dice when they need to make a moral check. I also also use dice to mark hullpoints and chart results on my vehicles. It also helps to think of the turn order as Spells->Move->Orders->Shoot->Assault

:tinfoil:See this helps to rotate your dice so you won't use all the good rolls right away:tinfoil:

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 25, 2012

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

CaptainPete posted:

I end each phase pointing to each of my units from right to left and audibly confirm their action. "they moved here, they moved her, they stood still... they shot, they ran, they were out of range.".

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby
Did anyone leak the rules for Horus or Fulgrim yet? I kinda want to see if Horus is that much more badass than the others they have leaked.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Look in the last few pages. They are there.

e: starts ~3 pages ago.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm buying this book. gently caress the haters.

e: In fact, I'm buying this book to play both my DA army and my CSM army and deeeeeeeeal wiiiiiiith iiiiiiiit

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Naramyth posted:

:tinfoil:See this helps to rotate your dice so you won't use all the good rolls right away:tinfoil:

And now I remember why I stopped posting in this thread...

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Mango Polo posted:

The second guy has a sword going through his foot :ohdear:

No he is standing on the tip of the sword like the old master in Kill Bill, he's so hardcore.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

It's what Warhamming fluff is about. Outrageous odds against a far superior foe, and winning. In a previous thread (way back) a goon mentioned a unit of Firewarriors taking down a Keeper of Secrets, in close combat. Outrageous and awesome at the same time.

The closest I've come is having a single Plague Champion take out a fully kitted Command Biker Squad over 2 whole turns of combat, finally chasing the broken captain off the table.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 25, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I just added up the total points I'll have in CSM by the end of the year: nearly 3300, before adding wargear options, Chaos god marks, etc. My DE army is only 2400+ and my just-started Eldar army is at about 600 points.

Hopefully I don't get sucked into the dark side too much, the 'fiends may be the first things that entice me, since they look like they can be magnetized to be either option.

e: \/\/\/ meant to say, great battle report, once again! I love the radar tower! Is the battle board a 1x1 setup?

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 25, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cataphract posted:

I end each phase pointing to each of my units from right to left and audibly confirm their action. "they moved here, they moved her, they stood still... they shot, they ran, they were out of range.".

I do this too, but didn't realize I'd done nothing with a squad of 20 dudes until the assault phase. I have the dice from the collector's edition that I use as wound markers, hullpoint markers, or objective numbers.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CaptainPete posted:

And now I remember why I stopped posting in this thread...

I don't get it :confused:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ghetto wormhole posted:

I don't get it :confused:

I think it's something about gamers getting superstitious about their dice.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

krushgroove posted:

I think it's something about gamers getting superstitious about their dice.

Well yeah I get that but that's pretty low on the list of annoying things that happen in this thread.

And also the post he quoted was very obviously a joke.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

cat with hands posted:

gently caress my life. And there's 3 more pods still on sprues... :smithicide:

I have heard these are such a bitch to assemble. I am sitting on 3 of them in boxes at the moment because I can't bring myself to get frustrated. I almost broke them out last night.

Are they truly that much of a bitch to assemble?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Ghost Hand posted:

I have heard these are such a bitch to assemble. I am sitting on 3 of them in boxes at the moment because I can't bring myself to get frustrated. I almost broke them out last night.

They aren't too bad but have a couple of important bits that the instructions utterly fail to mention.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cataphract posted:

I have a bunch of cards I made for each of my squads (nothing fancy, just some index cards that I doodle on occasionally, and that have the stats of each member of the squad in it) that I used to put little colored markers on for each phase. I don't do the markers anymore, as using the same list, or similar lists, has basically trained me to check everything by instinct, but the cards are nice for when I'm trying to remember what wargear my dudes have since not everything is WYSIWYG yet.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

Ghost Hand posted:

The center pillar where the storm bolter is attached has five panels that go into little socket holes to make up the places where the doors close into the pod. However, if these panels are not perfectly, and I mean PERFECTLY vertical, those finned sides will not assemble properly, and your doors will not ever close properly until you file down some places near the door joint. It's a huge bitch, and not to mention nearly impossible to get right the first few times you put one together because those panels are glued with only a single hole to keep them in place, and the panels therefore swivel and move. Once you realize that this is the case it's easy to correct it, but sucks for you if your hand slips even once while putting those together.

e: grammar fix, again.

Tailfnz fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 25, 2012

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Hey guys, I'm bored out of my gourd and I was just talking with Winson in PM's.

Would any of you be interested in doing a play by post Warhammer 40k game?

Rough rules, until I get home and check out a few things would be; One player per unit, I am not part of the game except in a referee role, I roll the dice, you tell me where to move your unit and what it is doing.

Units will be predesignated, as I only have my collection to go off of. Which means it would be a guard, versus guard or marine.

I will provide photos of the battlefield and be able to tell you distances and such. You just have to tell me the actions of your unit.

To start and for my sanity, the first game would be tiny. maybe 500 points, maybe a little less. Just as a trial run test. If it works out great, we can continue. I'm also toying with the idea of making a running story out of it, i.e., You folks are a guard company and are receiving your orders to purge the enemy, reclaim a point and so on and so on. We could add players as older players units finally die. This keeps with the guard meat grinder theme.

So gang, is there interest?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

VendaGoat posted:

You have my sword. Unless my given unit doesn't have a sword, then you have... some kind of close combat weapon.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

VendaGoat posted:

Rough rules, until I get home and check out a few things would be; One player per unit, I am not part of the game except in a referee role, I roll the dice, you tell me where to move your unit and what it is doing.

Units will be predesignated, as I only have my collection to go off of. Which means it would be a guard, versus guard or marine.

I will provide photos of the battlefield and be able to tell you distances and such. You just have to tell me the actions of your unit.

To start and for my sanity, the first game would be tiny. maybe 500 points, maybe a little less. Just as a trial run test. If it works out great, we can continue. I'm also toying with the idea of making a running story out of it, i.e., You folks are a guard company and are receiving your orders to purge the enemy, reclaim a point and so on and so on. We could add players as older players units finally die. This keeps with the guard meat grinder theme.

Why not do it over VASSAL with the 40k module instead? Less work for you, we can coordinate it through IRC

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I'm in for some sweet play by post action.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Why not do it over VASSAL with the 40k module instead? Less work for you, we can coordinate it through IRC

Because I've never used it and am not familiar with it.

This also gives me a reason to get my hams out of storage and perhaps get back to painting them.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

VendaGoat posted:

I'm interested. It would be the closest thing to actually playing 40k for me right now!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

VendaGoat posted:

This would be a gigantic clusterfuck and I am so in.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Like I wasn't obsessively following this thread enough.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

VendaGoat posted:

I'd be in! Doubly so if I can play a unit of rebel grots.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
:woop:

Ok, let me get home and do an inventory on my hams. This is all contingent on a wild raccoon NOT breaking into my attic and eating everything. In which case, I've just given you all a huge case of blue balls.

I think I'm alright though. So look for the post in the play by post forum, sometime later tonight or tomorrow.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

My 14,000 points of Tyranids kills everything. The end.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

VendaGoat posted:

Count me in, FOR THE EMPEROR! Or something...

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

VendaGoat posted:

:woop:

Ok, let me get home and do an inventory on my hams. This is all contingent on a wild raccoon NOT breaking into my attic and eating everything. In which case, I've just given you all a huge case of blue balls.

I think I'm alright though. So look for the post in the play by post forum, sometime later tonight or tomorrow.

I'm going to revise my unit and request the raccoon please.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

30,000 pts of Necrons awakens and exterminates all life in the galaxy. The Real End.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

The Supreme Court posted:

I'm going to revise my unit and request the raccoon please.

Apocalypse only. :colbert:

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
I'm down to give this a try, pick me pick me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Raccoon counts-as Gargant

• Locked thread