Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009

daggerdragon posted:

Is it going to be as badass as riding a freaking zombie dinosaur??? I certainly hope so!

In order, my favorite 3 books in the series are Turn Coat, Small Favor, Changes. Riding a zombie dinosaur was amazing, but these three books are riding a metaphorical zombie dinosaur the whole way through. They are just fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fermun posted:

In order, my favorite 3 books in the series are Turn Coat, Small Favor, Changes. Riding a zombie dinosaur was amazing, but these three books are riding a metaphorical zombie dinosaur the whole way through. They are just fantastic.

As long as we're being metaphorical, this part of the series so far is riding a zombie dinosaur made of zombie dinosaurs that are on fire.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Turn Coat may be my favorite in the whole series.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Error 404 posted:

As long as we're being metaphorical, this part of the series so far is riding a zombie dinosaur made of zombie dinosaurs that are on fire.

The metaphorical zombie dinosaur was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

daggerdragon posted:

Is it going to be as badass as riding a freaking zombie dinosaur??? I certainly hope so!

You still have 3 of the 4 best books in the series ahead of you

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

daggerdragon posted:

Well. I had expected Lasciel to last longer than she did. However, I'm pretty sure she's not gone and she'll be back in full glory, gunning for Harry.

Not Lasciel.
Lash :gbsmith:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Turn Coat may be my favorite in the whole series.

It's a tossup between Turn Coat and Small Favor for me, but I'm pretty sure that Turn Coat was the one where I had to call in sick the day after I bought it because I accidentally stayed up all night reading.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

docbeard posted:

It's a tossup between Turn Coat and Small Favor for me, but I'm pretty sure that Turn Coat was the one where I had to call in sick the day after I bought it because I accidentally stayed up all night reading.

They're both really good.

I'm also a huge fan of books 4 and 5 (Summer Knight and Death Masks). Dead Beat is awesome, too.

Not a fan of Fool Moon, Blood Rites, or White Night--although White Night has grown on me somewhat.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I started in on Fool Moon this morning. Harry spends the opening couple of chapters being mad at himself for not coming to Murphy sooner during the first book and explaining everything. He was so sorry for keeping her out the loop and promised not to lie to her again.

Then he immediately ditches Murphy after that promise and tries to track down the Lobo killer using his blood tracking spell all by himself.

:suicide:

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
I'm on the Replica Prop Forum and Bob has been done a few times so far:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/dresden-files-i-found-bobs-skull-completed-108158/ Bob

http://www.therpf.com/f13/dresden-files-bobs-skull-replica-114786/ This guy was selling replicas for $120.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/dresden-files-bob-skull-update-24997/ Extreme Closeup of carved Bob and show Doom Box and a dollhouse miniature recreation of part of Harry's Lab, shield bracelet and Molly's shield bracelet.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/dresden-files-19803/ The show shield bracelet

http://www.therpf.com/f40/dresden-files-67584/ Phone book listing

http://www.therpf.com/f9/dresden-files-wizard-staff-replica-116963/ Staff (hockey stick)

McBeth fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 24, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I started in on Fool Moon this morning. Harry spends the opening couple of chapters being mad at himself for not coming to Murphy sooner during the first book and explaining everything. He was so sorry for keeping her out the loop and promised not to lie to her again.

Then he immediately ditches Murphy after that promise and tries to track down the Lobo killer using his blood tracking spell all by himself.

:suicide:

Harry is pretty bad at social interaction. He gets better but it takes him a long-rear end time. It's pretty reasonable considering he was an orphan who was raised by a sociopath wizard who intentionally kept him isolated from the world and a supernatural hitman but still. Dude takes a long-rear end time to get from "A dick at every possible opportunity" down to merely "A dick at every possible opportunity to people he dislikes."

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Talking about Changes in this post, so read no further if you haven't read it already.

I remember in the last thread there was a long discussion about the blood curse the Reds were attempting to use, and exactly how it worked. I remember a fairly large inconsistency being that McCoy was the actual target of the spell, but for it to have actually gotten to him it would have had to skip a generation, if in fact Harry's mother was dead. Did that get satisfactorily explained?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I don't think so, but earlier in the book, Dresden goes on a spiel about how there must be some sort of bond of parenthood that goes beyond simple blood - which is why he couldn't just track Maggie.
Could be that it would affect McCoy regardless, due to him being Harry's father-figure.

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I remember in the last thread there was a long discussion about the blood curse the Reds were attempting to use, and exactly how it worked. I remember a fairly large inconsistency being that McCoy was the actual target of the spell, but for it to have actually gotten to him it would have had to skip a generation, if in fact Harry's mother was dead. Did that get satisfactorily explained?

It kills all living ancestors. That's why since Susan was technically the youngest (just fully transformed a couple minutes before the sacrifice) it wiped out the entire Red Court. It's pretty explicitly stated.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
These books are like crack candy. My new charger won't be here until Wednesday, but I still found a desktop e-book reader and finished Small Favor.

Murphy gets the Sword. That's what Michael and Sanya are talking about. RIGHT?

OH COME ON, HARRY, YOU'RE GIVING THE loving SWORD TO NICODEMUS?!

quote:

"Maybe they'd crash the world economy. Maybe they'd turn every program on television into one of those reality shows."
goddammitsomuch

Nooooo, Michael! :ohdear: He'll be fine. Butcher isn't GRRM. I hope.

quote:

"Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles 'pon it instead," I said solemnly, "and frosting of white."
... okay, that just made the whole book right there. Although now I want to know how a 5' goat-fae just walks into a Chicagoian bakery and gets a donut...

Murphy got the sword! :allears: But is she going to take it? I don't think she will. Michael's going to retire, and Harry will be given Amoracchius to give to someone else (as well as Fidelacchius). ... dammit, I hate being right.

Okay, conjecture time! I've been thinking about this since White Knight and it's really solidified my admittedly wild hypothesis when Harry learned from Bob about soulfire.

White Knight = Thomas (White Court vampire, "knight" for the side of Good)

Since Amoracchius = Excalibur, and Harry is now the custodian of it, that makes him Merlin v2.

We've got the Black Court gathering power, and there's at least one mole inside the White Court. My hunch says it's one of the Senior Council, because there's no point to having an epic blow-out with a minor-league mook. Since Harry is now custodian of Amoracchius and a wielder of soulfire, and he's now got the attention of an archangel, let's say the mole is the current Merlin of the White Council. Since I'm going out on a limb here, there's either a secret 31st Blackened Denarian that the other Nickelheads don't know about, or it's an Outsider god of some sort taking up residence in/cooperating with the Merlin.

We still have a lot of loose ends here: Mab's final request, Mavra, Kincaid's apparent demonic heritage, Marcone's new status as a freeholding lord, Lasciel's coin, the 11 coins Harry lost...

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
:allears:

Made my day.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

daggerdragon posted:

Although now I want to know how a 5' goat-fae just walks into a Chicagoian bakery and gets a donut...

I'd have to assume he used Fae Glamour. He is a super-powerful wizard, as well as a high ranking member of the summer court, after all.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

daggerdragon posted:

These books are like crack candy. My new charger won't be here until Wednesday, but I still found a desktop e-book reader and finished Small Favor.

Murphy gets the Sword. That's what Michael and Sanya are talking about. RIGHT?

OH COME ON, HARRY, YOU'RE GIVING THE loving SWORD TO NICODEMUS?!
goddammitsomuch

... okay, that just made the whole book right there. Although now I want to know how a 5' goat-fae just walks into a Chicagoian bakery and gets a donut...

Murphy got the sword! :allears: But is she going to take it? I don't think she will. Michael's going to retire, and Harry will be given Amoracchius to give to someone else (as well as Fidelacchius). ... dammit, I hate being right.

Okay, conjecture time! I've been thinking about this since White Knight and it's really solidified my admittedly wild hypothesis when Harry learned from Bob about soulfire.

White Knight = Thomas (White Court vampire, "knight" for the side of Good)

Since Amoracchius = Excalibur, and Harry is now the custodian of it, that makes him Merlin v2.

We've got the Black Court gathering power, and there's at least one mole inside the White Court. My hunch says it's one of the Senior Council, because there's no point to having an epic blow-out with a minor-league mook. Since Harry is now custodian of Amoracchius and a wielder of soulfire, and he's now got the attention of an archangel, let's say the mole is the current Merlin of the White Council. Since I'm going out on a limb here, there's either a secret 31st Blackened Denarian that the other Nickelheads don't know about, or it's an Outsider god of some sort taking up residence in/cooperating with the Merlin.

We still have a lot of loose ends here: Mab's final request, Mavra, Kincaid's apparent demonic heritage, Marcone's new status as a freeholding lord, Lasciel's coin, the 11 coins Harry lost...

So close. Yet so far...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

daggerdragon posted:

These books are like crack candy.

:allears:

Everytime a newbie joins us, a Wizard gets his staff.

drat, but newbies to Dresden are like the cutest loving thing!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

daggerdragon posted:

Do yourself a favor and read The Warrior right now if you've got Side Jobs.
Michael got the best retirement plan possible for a Knight :unsmith:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

It kills all living ancestors. That's why since Susan was technically the youngest (just fully transformed a couple minutes before the sacrifice) it wiped out the entire Red Court. It's pretty explicitly stated.

So, it doesn't kill ancestors, it kills ancestors and their descendants. The Red court wasn't a single line in which only the youngest vampire could sire a new one. That means the spell as intended would have wiped out all humanity. Actually, all life on earth.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Poopy Palpy posted:

So, it doesn't kill ancestors, it kills ancestors and their descendants. The Red court wasn't a single line in which only the youngest vampire could sire a new one. That means the spell as intended would have wiped out all humanity. Actually, all life on earth.

Why do people insist in being so technical? It's magic. It's explicitly based entirely on the users intent. In this case the intent is to kill the family of the sacrifice.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Technically if Adam and Eve are real in the DF then wouldn't that bloodline curse have killed off all of humanity and destroyed the red court's food supply?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Poopy Palpy posted:

SERIOUSLY SPOILER YOU DONT WANT TO READ THIS IF YOU ARENT FINISHED YET

Go back and re-read, Bob actually talks about this. It all has to do with how similar the "bloodline" is. The Red Court actually had a fairly "short" family tree -- only the nobility were allowed to create new vampires, and vampires reproduce asexually (that is, only one vampire parent), so all the red court shared identical blood, and the whole ancestral tree was still alive, too, to get hit by & further trigger the spell.

With humans it's different for a few reasons; human "bloodlines" are a lot more mixed and attenuated, because of, well, sexual reproduction. Harry's distant ancestors aren't all still alive, which might limit the spell's ability to kill them and their respective descendants. Even if it did, there's a dilution point where it just wouldn't work as well because other humans just aren't part of the same bloodline Harry is.

For an analogy, the bloodline curse is fire. Human bloodlines are wood. Vampire bloodlines are oil.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For an analogy, the bloodline curse is fire.Human bloodlines are wood. Vampire bloodlines are oil.

This is so much better than "it's magic, it just works". Give me an analogy, no matter how strained, and I'll buy any sort of magic from fantastical to Clarke's third law.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Poopy Palpy posted:

This is so much better than "it's magic, it just works". Give me an analogy, no matter how strained, and I'll buy any sort of magic from fantastical to Clarke's third law.

Fair enough.

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008

With humans it's different for a few reasons; human "bloodlines" are a lot more mixed and attenuated, because of, well, sexual reproduction. Harry's distant ancestors aren't all still alive, which might limit the spell's ability to kill them and their respective descendants. Even if it did, there's a dilution point where it just wouldn't work as well because other humans just aren't part of the same bloodline Harry is.

For an analogy, the bloodline curse is fire. Human bloodlines are wood. Vampire bloodlines are oil.

All Red Court are one family, because of the magic that turns you into a Red Court Vampire, the youngest vampire is the scion of the entire family. Yes, that's a OMG JUST MAGIC! answer, but when I was reading it I really wasn't looking for a in depth 20 page dossier of why exactly that is.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I don't have much to add to the curse discussion, but wanted to say that this was very nicely put.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

daggerdragon posted:

She's also inconsistently portrayed - she can create a glamour that Harry can't even sense, which apparently takes a lot of fine control, but she can't even telekinetically hold up a couple beads on a string?

It's the difference between painting a countryside scene in watercolor and kicking down a wooden door.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

NovemberMike posted:

It's the difference between painting a countryside scene in watercolor and kicking down a wooden door.

I think that part of the misunderstanding is that it doesn't get put that way until the next book, when Harry discusses how he's a heavyweight in the sense of having a lot of raw power to throw around and he isn't so good at "delicate" magic

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Zola posted:

I think that part of the misunderstanding is that it doesn't get put that way until the next book, when Harry discusses how he's a heavyweight in the sense of having a lot of raw power to throw around and he isn't so good at "delicate" magic

And then in Ghost Story she brings up how she only has a water pistol compared to his fire hose o' power, hence needing to get... creative as the Ragged Lady.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

keiran_helcyan posted:

Sword speculation Murphy will get the katana sword because I swear she had a katana in her apartment, she likes martial arts, and she used that sword already at the conclusion of Changes. Thomas will wield the sword of love because it thematically fits with his struggling against his incubus nature, also his father was the White KING.

Regarding Murphy, those reasons are exactly why I believe she should wield Fidelacchius, but also because of how she appears when Harry uses his Sight. Good call on Thomas and Amoracchius though.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I don't think he's corrupted enough for that, even if he was it would go back to normal after he was done.

I meant it more along the line that Harry may not be in the best of mental states as the Winter Knight, thus he might not be using the swords with the purest intentions in mind in such a situation. Therefore, they go kaput.

Spoilerrific!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

This is dumb and falls concretely into the "Duh, it's just a book" area, but I just thought of it and wanted to share.

I was thinking that the whole "Wizards Age Slowly" bit was cool because Butcher seems to move the world along at real time around Harry, so the Carpenter kids and the Archive grow up, and the people around him change...with one exception. Murphy.

Murphy starts off book one as a LT and a Department Head, so she would have HAD to have been in her late 20s, assuming she got on the cops when she was 18, promoted at the earliest opportunity every time, to make it through Patrol, Detective, Detective Sgt, and LT (at least). Promoted 4 grades into command in 10 years is probably about as quickly as administratively possible, so by the last book she should be over 40. It doesn't really matter, but I just happened to think about it.

I'm going to guess that this is just probably a newbie author mistake that Butcher ended up stuck with. "Oh, my cop contact will be the boss of the cops that deal with the spooky stuff" never thinking that he'd still be writing the books 15 years later and having that much time pass in-world. In a way, it's too bad, because it would have been fun seeing Rookie Detective Karrin Murphy newly exiled to the Spook Squad for telling the truth and watching her learn the ins and outs from day one as she worked her way up to command, just to get it taken away from her.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

navyjack posted:

This is dumb and falls concretely into the "Duh, it's just a book" area, but I just thought of it and wanted to share.

I was thinking that the whole "Wizards Age Slowly" bit was cool because Butcher seems to move the world along at real time around Harry, so the Carpenter kids and the Archive grow up, and the people around him change...with one exception. Murphy.

Murphy starts off book one as a LT and a Department Head, so she would have HAD to have been in her late 20s, assuming she got on the cops when she was 18, promoted at the earliest opportunity every time, to make it through Patrol, Detective, Detective Sgt, and LT (at least). Promoted 4 grades into command in 10 years is probably about as quickly as administratively possible, so by the last book she should be over 40. It doesn't really matter, but I just happened to think about it.

I'm going to guess that this is just probably a newbie author mistake that Butcher ended up stuck with. "Oh, my cop contact will be the boss of the cops that deal with the spooky stuff" never thinking that he'd still be writing the books 15 years later and having that much time pass in-world. In a way, it's too bad, because it would have been fun seeing Rookie Detective Karrin Murphy newly exiled to the Spook Squad for telling the truth and watching her learn the ins and outs from day one as she worked her way up to command, just to get it taken away from her.

I think she's explicitly a few years older than Harry, right? And he was 25ish in Storm Front.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Maybe Harry's wizardly anti-aging projects onto his ONE TRUE SOULMATE :science:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Maybe Harry's wizardly anti-aging projects onto his ONE TRUE SOULMATE :science:

Mister?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Of course. Who else would I be talking about? :colbert:

Actually Mister has got to be one old-rear end cat by now, so that might have some weight.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I think she's explicitly a few years older than Harry, right? And he was 25ish in Storm Front.

According to Wikipedia, Murphy was early 30s in Storm Front, so she should be almost 50. And Mister, if he was only barely adult is like 16. Fogey age for a housecat. At least Mouse is a semi-immortal special magic dog.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Zola posted:

You're all forgetting the part where it is explained that Harry put an enchantment on the bracelet so that Molly could never lift the beads until she was in the "right" mindset for why she should be joining Harry in a fight--that she isn't doing it because she is spoiling to fight, but because she cannot ignore the fight and must do something to help, and believing that not helping would cost more lives than it would save, or something. I forget the actual scene, but once the beads fall apart Harry explains what he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

navyjack posted:

According to Wikipedia, Murphy was early 30s in Storm Front, so she should be almost 50. And Mister, if he was only barely adult is like 16. Fogey age for a housecat. At least Mouse is a semi-immortal special magic dog.

Mister is half grimalkin.

• Locked thread