Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kerfuffle posted:

Maybe I'm really late on this since I kind of ignore a lot of the ads, but lmbo what crybaby got their feelings hurt enough to buy an ad?

It links to the puppy thread. :)

They bought two! They were angry enough to spend $16 to send people to an informative thread about puppies and new dogs with relatively little drama at all.

It's fantastic :allears:

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Superconsndar posted:

Okay so Re: bathing cats; basically just restrain cat and pray for a swift death. I kinda figured.

Attempting to bathe cat shortly. Here is a final picture of Frankie if I don't make it.

Way to make a post about cats still somehow be about dogs :rolleyes:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

They bought two! They were angry enough to spend $16 to send people to an informative thread about puppies and new dogs with relatively little drama at all.

It's fantastic :allears:

I'm so proud of myself right now.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Captain Foxy posted:

I'm so proud of myself right now.

:golfclap:

You should be. You deserve it.

That chow does look happy in that crate though.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

HelloSailorSign posted:

That chow does look happy in that crate though.

That's one of the funniest things about it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Apidae posted:

I remember my Mom painted a dead butterfly with resin once, it turned out really pretty. Then again, our house was full of animal skulls and empty wasp nests so it wasn't out of the ordinary.

Is there any way you can dry it out more before covering it?

I have a big bag of fine silica gel powder for floral arrangement, maybe I can stick it in some of that and let it suck the moisture out.

I also have a retarded caterpillar that probably won't make it to the chrysalis stage, but they're so fleshy that I'm not sure I could preserve him the same way. He'd probably have to be in a solution of some kind.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Kerfuffle posted:

Maybe I'm really late on this since I kind of ignore a lot of the ads, but lmbo what crybaby got their feelings hurt enough to buy an ad?

It links to the puppy thread. :)

I promise it wasn't me!! I wouldn't waste money on that dumb poo poo when I could buy more nailpolish (I have a nailpolish problem).

Crates are great. Having 2 pups is hard. Baaah.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I promise it wasn't me!! I wouldn't waste money on that dumb poo poo when I could buy more nailpolish (I have a nailpolish problem).

The PetEdge catalog has a bunch of pet nail polishes, all different colors and shimmer and glitter and everything. For $2.39 a bottle. I keep wondering how, at that price, it compares to Wet N Wild and Sally Hansen and whatever other drug store brands, and if it would make me more of a crazy dog lady or a crazy nail polish lady to buy a few bottles. For me, I mean. Although me and Quaffle having matching green glitter nails would be pretty amazing.

Ohhhh I just noticed it's buy five get one free...

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Aravenna posted:

The PetEdge catalog has a bunch of pet nail polishes, all different colors and shimmer and glitter and everything. For $2.39 a bottle. I keep wondering how, at that price, it compares to Wet N Wild and Sally Hansen and whatever other drug store brands, and if it would make me more of a crazy dog lady or a crazy nail polish lady to buy a few bottles. For me, I mean. Although me and Quaffle having matching green glitter nails would be pretty amazing.

I paint my dog's nails all the time with my own nail polish.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Pew! Pew! posted:

Maybe a little coyote-like? I dunno, my first thought would probably be ACD mix but people are dumb.

Yeah, I'd guess that's probably it. He is an ACD/border collie mix, so good guess. :) I have had a lot of people ask if he has coyote in him, which as far as I know he doesn't. He's just lean and rangey. He was once mistaken for a giant cat (seriously*, Chido struck a nerve with that) but I think that lady was drunk.

Although when I first got him I had a really vivid dream that he was my familiar and his true form was this 8-legged spider-lion-dog thing. It was vivid enough that I still remember it years later. So there's always the possibility that he really is a magical creature and the occasional person catches a glimpse of it. :tinfoil:

*not seriously, though the facts of the story was true. Also I know she was drunk, or maybe high. Visibly impaired anyway.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 26, 2012

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Aravenna posted:

The only thing I could imagine being different is they probably use a quick dry formula. But you can get that with Sally Hansen or any other brand, really.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Aravenna posted:

It's quick drying, coats pretty well over dark nails, is specifically non-toxic for dogs, and it matches the ribbon they sell. :3: Good luck getting it off anything if you don't clean it before it's dry, though!

Pfox That's what's so lame about going with a show breeder. :argh: I mean, if they're doing their job right, you have a much lower chance of getting a pup. Guess the same could be said for any breeder, though, if you're not specifically needing what they're breeding for. Anyway, here's to hoping no show homes pop up! :haw:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aravenna posted:

They're pretty awesome formulas, from what I remember from Balen's nails being bright loving pink. I'd been sick when I dropped the danes off at the groomer and she decided to make the danes glittery, paint all of their nails pink and put bows all over them. I wish I'd gotten a picture. They held up to dog abuse for a good three days.

Maybe the dogs will be fashion divas for halloween.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I was just telling my boss how I feel like crap because I moved a GIANT log (it was basically a tree trunk) to help Moses dig out a groundhog last night. I had let him go for it after he sniffed it out because I thought we could dig around it, and we both tried, but there ended up being no way without moving the trunk. I looped his lead around it and attached it to his harness, and we both pulled, but it was way, way heavier than I thought and I'm pretty sure I pulled some muscles and I could barely stand up/get dressed this morning.

I mentioned that I had tried to call him off of it and go look somewhere easier, but he was so broken hearted when I tried to leave I just sucked it up and did it. She interrupted me and said "You know he was controlling you with that, right? You just let him dominate you and he knows it."

No, pretty sure he just wanted to get the groundhog lol!!!!!!!!!!! (he got it, too)

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

I was just telling my boss how I feel like crap because I moved a GIANT log (it was basically a tree trunk) to help Moses dig out a groundhog last night. I had let him go for it after he sniffed it out because I thought we could dig around it, and we both tried, but there ended up being no way without moving the trunk. I looped his lead around it and attached it to his harness, and we both pulled, but it was way, way heavier than I thought and I'm pretty sure I pulled some muscles and I could barely stand up/get dressed this morning.

I mentioned that I had tried to call him off of it and go look somewhere easier, but he was so broken hearted when I tried to leave I just sucked it up and did it. She interrupted me and said "You know he was controlling you with that, right? You just let him dominate you and he knows it."

No, pretty sure he just wanted to get the groundhog lol!!!!!!!!!!! (he got it, too)

Now you just have to alpha roll your boss to reassert your dominance in some manner.

EDIT: Just thought I'd repost this here to get some people's thoughts on it.

This is a little more long term and abstract, but I thought I'd get some thoughts on this. My dad shows Finnish spitzes and would eventually like to breed his Ch. winning dog (he has two and he's brand spanking new to conformation showing) and give me a show quality puppy from the litter so that I can show the puppy. I'd also do other fun things with the dog (obedience and possibly some basic agility if the dog is in to that) so its not just about "lol purtty dog".

I already have a dog, and he seems to be okay with other dogs and is pretty tolerant of dogs with lots of energy. He's best with dogs slightly smaller than himself or larger, so a puppy might be a little different for him. If I were to have two dogs, I would make sure that each had their own space (be it a crate or a room to retreat to), etc. But my real question is how can I start getting Bailey ready to accept a new/ strange dog in "his" apartment? Obviously I'd start out by introducing them somewhere Bailey hasn't been before, then allowing them to interact in more familiar territory (the dog park where he goes everyday), and then at home. Would trying this with another dog work well as a practice run?

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 26, 2012

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I forgot to respond to this in the training thread. Sorry!

Basically, no, I don't think you should do trial runs. I think you should slowly introduce a puppy into the space via crates, gates and barriers when and if you get it.

I'm copy/pasting this from the puppy thread:

quote:

Bring a clean towel to the breeder's and play with the pup on it, then bring it home and have your existing dog investigate it. Feed him treats on there so it's a good positive association.

Have the puppy come home with her own bedding to help the transition.

Send a worn t-shirt or article of clothing along to the breeder's to put in the crate with your pup.

Have the dogs meet on neutral territory like a neighbour's lawn. Walk a little while first.

When you get home put your old dog away (or have him out for a walk) so you can settle the new pup without your older dog there.

Bring home the pup and put her in a ex-pen in the den or family room with a second barrier like a baby gate in front of it about 6 feet away. You can toss some treats & toys in there, but keep them low to medium value.

Leave the secondary barrier up for a few days so your dog can't make contact with the new puppy.

Interrupt social pressure buildups like freezing, or hard staring from your dog.
After a few days once your dog is showing polite interest in the puppy you can take down the baby gate and let them say hi through the ex-pen.

After a few days of this you can put them in the back yard together and allow first contact encounter. This assumes that all ex-pen and gate greetings have been happy and social. If not, do not move onto this until you have the two dogs comfortable with each other.

If the dogs like each other, put the more forward dog on a leash attached to a harness and stand on the end. This allows the more unsure one to control the play. It's important to never allow the more rambunctious one to chase down, corner or repeatedly go after the shyer one.

If things go well in the yard, maintain the ex-pen indoors except when you have two adults supervising the dogs. This shouldn't be done any sooner than 1-3 weeks after the pup arrives home.

Just tossing a new dog into his space as a trial run could possibly be disastrous. I think slowly introducing the new dog will result in a much higher rate of success since Bailey won't feel like his personal space bubble is being impinged too badly.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Well, I don't have to figure out how to preserve that butterfly - I came into the kitchen just now and it was emerging! Guess it's just a slowpoke.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

RazorBunny posted:

Well, I don't have to figure out how to preserve that butterfly - I came into the kitchen just now and it was emerging! Guess it's just a slowpoke.

Yay! And yet darn! I was sort of looking forward to pics of the preservation.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Yay! And yet darn! I was sort of looking forward to pics of the preservation.

Yeah, it would have been cool. This is the first one I've gotten to watch emerge actually, so I'm happy he's alive, but it would have been neat.

The other caterpillar that was acting all stupid decided the perfectly good stick I gave it wasn't going to work, and he pupated on the ground in the jar. I don't know how that's going to work out for him when the time comes to emerge...

Pretty soon they'll be having their last generation for the year, and a whole batch of them will stay in their chrysalises all winter instead of coming out in two weeks. It's pretty amazing stuff.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

a life less posted:

I forgot to respond to this in the training thread. Sorry!

Basically, no, I don't think you should do trial runs. I think you should slowly introduce a puppy into the space via crates, gates and barriers when and if you get it.

I'm copy/pasting this from the puppy thread:

Just tossing a new dog into his space as a trial run could possibly be disastrous. I think slowly introducing the new dog will result in a much higher rate of success since Bailey won't feel like his personal space bubble is being impinged too badly.

That's fine. All of that, should the puppy happen, would be fairly easy to do since I'm sure my dad and I could work out the specifics and he'd likely drive the puppy down. I just wasn't sure if working on slow introductions with other dogs would be helpful or not.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

wtftastic posted:

That's fine. All of that, should the puppy happen, would be fairly easy to do since I'm sure my dad and I could work out the specifics and he'd likely drive the puppy down. I just wasn't sure if working on slow introductions with other dogs would be helpful or not.
I literally just introduced my new puppy to our two other dogs (as in, less than 30 minutes ago). It went like this: put older dogs behind baby gate. Enter apartment with puppy, set puppy on the floor. Wait until everyone's settled down. Allow calm older dogs through the baby gate one by one to meet puppy. Supervise. Switch dogs, repeat. Introductions done.

Right now the pup and the older dogs are sleeping with a closed baby gate between them. I'll gradually allow them a bit more time together (all three of them), but make sure to supervise their interactions. If everything goes well, I'll get more relaxed about the 100% supervision as I get more comfortable and get to know the newcomer better. I'll probably keep them separated 2+1 when I'm not at home until the pup is fully grown (or maybe forever, but we'll see).

Edited to add pic:

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 26, 2012

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I didn't see this posted already, but there's a puppycam 24/7 stream being run by @PetCollective. I think. I don't understand language from The Twitter. At any rate, apparently they're running it for a month and donating 25 cents for each subscriber 'toward animal rescue'. Regardless of the lack of specifics, there are currently some potato-like puppies sleeping in a pile, which warrants me using an entire monitor to display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuNlenkdfoI

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Rory is dead.

Eric (my fiance) and I were back home in Virginia over the weekend because I was a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding. I was at the rehearsal dinner Saturday night and Eric was at my mom's, where we were staying. She has two dogs, a beagle and a husky/GSD mix. She, my stepdad, and Eric took all three dogs for a walk together. At some point the leashes became tangled and Rory was trapped under Max, the GSD mix. Eric was afraid he would be trampled, so he dropped the leash to try to untangle them. Rory bolted. My mom said she had never seen Eric move so fast in his life. They tried and tried to catch him, but he took off into one of the busiest intersections in northern Virginia (Seven Corners, for those of you familiar with the area). Tons of people stopped their cars in the middle of traffic and got out to try to help. Finally someone pointed and there was Rory, lying dead in the road.

The dress I was wearing for the rehearsal dinner didn't have pockets, so I didn't have my phone on me all night. When it was time to leave, I picked up my purse from under the table and happened to feel my phone vibrating. It was my mom. I could tell by her voice that something was terribly wrong. She said "I'm going to put Eric on the phone" and didn't answer when I asked why. He said "Baby, Rory got away from me." I said "He's lost?" I had a thrill of hope- he had his collar and tags on, and he's microchipped. Eric said "No." I said "Is he dead?" and Eric said yes. He was sobbing at this point. I said I'd be home soon and hung up.

We were in the private party room of a restaurant. I looked around in panic for someone I knew (there were a lot of the groom's friends and family members there with whom I was unacquainted). Finally I saw the groom himself, Rick. I called his name and he could tell by the note of panic in my voice that something was wrong. I gasped out what happened and immediately burst into tears. He, Emily (the bride) and Rebecca (Emily's mom) all sprang into action. I was hastily led from the restaurant, whisked into a car, and driven home, crying hysterically all the while.

Guys, I am not normally a histrionic or even particularly emotional or demonstrative person. I'm sorry if this post is coming off as melodramatic or pretentious. I just really need to get it all off my chest.

When we got back to my mom's everyone was waiting for me on the steps of the townhouse. I had to be physically helped from the car. I wailed for my mom and she snatched me up. She was sobbing too. I grabbed her by the shoulders and started shaking her, screaming that this was just like when my grandma died, that if I had gone with her to the family reunion I wouldn't have let her fall and hit her head, and how could Aunt Kathleen be so stupid, etc. etc. My mom just stood there and took it. She asked if I wanted to see him and said that he just looked like he was sleeping. I didn't really want to, but I knew it would be best for me in the long run.

Eric brought his little body out of the garage where they had laid him. Guys, I literally fell to my knees and wailed to God. He was still warm, and his head was still bleeding from where he had been hit. Eric's clothes were covered in blood and there were blood stains on the steps and the garage floor. We sat on the steps next to each other and stroked him. His tail had relaxed out of its usual tight curl and drooped limply. I sobbed that I would never see it wag again. I screamed that I was so sorry that I hadn't been there for him, that he must have been so scared, that I hadn't been able to take care of him. At one point I sobbed to Eric that he shouldn't have dropped the leash, he shouldn't have dropped the leash. Eric wailed how sorry he was, that it was his fault.

My mom and Pete had gone inside to give us some privacy. I went back in and said I wanted my brother Benjamin, could they call Benjamin? As I washed the blood off my hands and legs, my mom held me and cried that if she could take this pain from me and feel it for me, she would, that she loved me so much and she would do anything for me. She promised me that when Eric and I had a baby, I would understand, and the pain of losing a dog wouldn't be so sharp in contrast to the intensity of loving a child. She left me alone in the living room and I sobbed and rocked myself back and forth. Benjamin must have driven like hell because he was there in about three minutes. When he saw me he started sobbing too. He held me and wailed how sorry he was. I started shaking him too and screaming again about Grandma. He told me not to think that way.

I said I wanted to hold Rory again, but I wanted him to be wrapped up so I wouldn't have to see the blood. I'm an ICU nurse and blood does not bother me in the least, but seeing my little guy covered in his own blood was too much. Pete wrapped him in a blanket for me. He looked just like he did when we gave him a bath for the first time:

I cradled him and nuzzled him and said he was my good little guy. I told him Mommy loved him and she was so sorry this had happened to him. I kissed him on the cheek like I used to and let Eric put him back in the garage. Then we all sat in the living room awhile. My mom cuddled me and stroked my cheek. Eric couldn't take it and went downstairs to lie down. I joined him about half an hour later.

We didn't like the idea of Rory being out in the garage all alone, so we laid his carrot toy with him.

He was stiff by then, and I didn't want to see him like that. I asked Eric to move him to a blanket that was laying on the garage floor. I heard jingling when he picked him up, and I realized his collar was still on. I asked Eric to get that too. We sat up awhile and cried and watched tv to try to lull us to sleep. We ended up putting on "Pirates of the Caribbean II" because we wanted something mindless and silly. I think we probably slept about two hours total.

In the morning, my mom came downstairs, still crying. She said Pete had found a place that would handle the cremation, and they would also go pick up my car from the rehearsal dinner restaurant. I had forgotten about that, it felt like it had been a decade ago. I said to go ahead and cremate him with Mr. Carrot.

That day, Sunday, was the day of the wedding. I said I still definitely wanted to be in it, because if I didn't, the whole trip and thus Rory's death would have been for nothing. I made a conscious decision to put it out of my mind and be happy and supportive for Emily and Rick on their special day. To my credit, I think I did a good loving job. I danced, I laughed, I decorated their car, and I generally did my best. Eric, on the other hand, wasn't doing so well. He barely managed not to cry during the reception, and went home early with my mom. Actually I think he cried for about 48 hours straight. He was an absolute wreck.

My stepdad was so sweet during the whole ordeal. When he and my mom went to the cremation place, the man there agreed to stay late to take care of it, even though he had been there all night working on the machinery. They didn't even charge for the urn. (I think my mom's inconsolable sobbing had something to do with this). Then Pete dressed up in a suit to bring the urn over, along with a beautiful floral arrangement he had bought for us, and a sweet card. The ashes came with a little certificate that said "On this day, September 23rd, 2012, RORY, friend and companion of MICKEYMICKEY, was cremated individually." It also came with the little Rainbow Bridge passage, which Eric found very comforting.

Here are some of the thoughts I've been dealing with since it happened:
-If I had been there, I never would have let the leashes get tangled, and I never would have dropped the leash. I am positive that had I been there, it wouldn't have happened.
-Rory must have been so scared to bolt like that. If I had been there he wouldn't have been so frightened. He was always braver when he was with me. The fact that he died in a terrified frenzy will probably haunt me to the end of my days.
-He didn't deserve to go out like that. I knew he would probably die before me, but not so soon or so brutally. I thought it would be at home, in my lap, like Wheats' dog.
-We had him for such a short time. We were supposed to be his forever home, his new lease on life. We were supposed to take care of him and protect him. I feel like I failed him.
-Eric didn't even really want a dog to begin with and I talked him into it, and now he's in absolute agony. Nothing bad has ever really happened to him- he's had ONE grandpa die after a long illness, other than that he's led a pretty charmed life. He grew to love Rory SO. MUCH. I feel like I inflicted this on him.

Here are some of the things I will miss:
-Him greeting me when I got home. He would go into absolute paroxysms of joy when he saw me. He wouldn't bark, but he would do this little hopping dance and run around like I was returning home from war or something, even when I'd just been at the grocery store for half an hour.
-Him waking me up in the morning. As soon as the alarm went off, he knew it was time for walkies. He would jump up and down on me and lick my face, and nuzzle into my armpit.
-Him getting so excited to snuggle in bed at night. I would stand at the bedroom door and call "Rory! Bedtime!" and he would come bolting in like it was the best thing ever. He would snuggle up to my side or my legs and look so content.
-The way he got so excited when we were going out for a walk. He would bound down the hallway, looking back at me every two seconds like "Mommy! Isn't this the greatest thing ever?? Isn't it, Mommy??" Then on the way back in, when he was all tired out, he would walk at my side in a perfect heel, although I had never trained him to do it.

My dad, who is not even really an "animal person" but loves sports, texted me this: "It's like getting called up from triple A to the majors. Yeah you gotta change your life, leave things behind; but it's all good. Us and Rory are first all God's creatures. God looked at you both and Rory and said 'Great job! I have a wonderful place for Rory in my majors and then both you and Eric need to keep up the good work as you are able, taking a lost creature out of harm's way and giving them love.' All creatures eventually get called up to the majors. Some have great coaching and make it sooner." And my mom printed this out for me: http://uglicoyote.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/i-want-a-physicist-to-speak-at-my-funeral/
I like the last line: "According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you're just less orderly."

So, now comes the business of getting through it. I'm working three nights in a row starting tonight, and I hope getting back to a normal routine will help. Eric wants to start volunteering at the shelter with me. He also wants to make a $1500 donation in Rory's name, which is amazingly sweet considering how thrifty (read: stingy) he usually is. He said he wants everyone to know how important Rory was.

Personally, I think I will see Rory again someday. I believe that animals have souls insofar as people love them. Wild animals die and return to the earth; but when you pour enough love and affection into a pet, you imbue them with a piece of your own soul that God recognizes as a part of you, and your soul is made whole again in heaven.

Thank you guys so much for letting me work through all this. I'm so sorry if this is upsetting or brings back bad memories for anyone, or if it came off as too self-indulgent or "first world problems." Grief is grief. I don't have kids yet, so Rory was the closest I knew to having a child. Here's the last picture I took of him, a day before his death:

He was smiling for once. He almost never smiled in pictures. :gbsmith:

Fake edit: someone posted a link awhile back to a website that made custom urns for pet remains- they were the cutest little wooden boxes, and you could get them sort of etched with a little line drawing of the dog if you wanted. Does anyone remember it? The urn we have is lovely, but impersonal.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I'm very sorry to hear that, mickeymickey.

Sometimes things like these help, sometimes they just make you feel worse. Here are two of my favourite pieces on what it's like to lose a dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGnCIdHQH0

http://www.dog-names.org.uk/dog-poems-poetry-power-dog.htm

The pain will fade in time, but it will always be there in some way. That's life though. My condolences.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
mickeymickey, I am so sorry for your loss :sympathy: I cannot even imagine your grief right now, please don't hesitate to msg if you need to talk.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I'm so sorry, mickeymickey. :sympathy:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Mickeymicky, I'm sorry for your loss. You did wonderful things for Rory and gave him a really great home. Please try not to be too hard on yourself, this isn't your fault.

I am not good at this stuff, so I'm sorry if that sounds weird.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I'm not good at this stuff either, but my heart really goes out for you mickeymickey :sympathy:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 26, 2012

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I'm so sorry about Rory. That is really hard. When you start thinking about how little time you had with him, try to instead think about how, if not for you, he might never have had a loving home. You made sure he had a great life, and that is a great thing no matter how short your time together was.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh no mickeymickey, I loved hearing about Rory's progress with you. I'm so sorry.

Don't feel like you failed him. You did give him a forever home, even if forever wasn't as long as anyone wanted it to be. Don't dwell on the last moments and your pain but think of all the joy you had together as a family that you wouldn't have had if you hadn't taken that chance. The pain will dull in time but you'll always have those memories.

I'm trying to think of pet urns I've seen. Maybe you were thinking of these? Or something like this? I've been meaning to get one for my guinea pig who was cremated last year but look at pet urns is depressing so he's still in his little tin box :smith:

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

I'm so, so sorry for your loss, mickeymickey. I remember when I lost my Basset Hound in a similar way. There just aren't any words, I feel terrible for you. :(

So it looks like we'll be taking Oliver. We haven't been able to find another home for him. I'm very nervous because I've tried to take in other cats a few times before and it didn't work out. My cat is very territorial and I'm dreading having to clean up cat piss for God knows how long.

I want to do the introductions right this time, so I printed this http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/introducing_new_cat.html from the Humane Society and plan on following it to the letter.

I bought Feliway in both a diffuser and a spray from PetCo this afternoon. I plan on putting the diffuser in Kismet's room, where her litter box is located, and spraying some in the master bathroom, which will be Oliver's area for the time being.

I'll keep them both confined to their respective rooms for the first day/night, then let Kismet out and have free run of the house again (except for the master bedroom/bathroom, where Oliver will be) then proceed with the instructions from the Humane Society link.

Does anyone have any other tips or advice for integrating a new cat into a household with a territorial rear end in a top hat cat?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I am so sorry, mickeymickey. Rory was such an awesome little dog and I always looked forward to hearing updates and seeing pictures of him. Definitely do not beat yourself up thinking about the "what-ifs" and focus on how happy and loved you made him feel while you had him. My heart goes out to you and your family. :sympathy:

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
I'm very sorry mickeymickey. This just breaks my heart.

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

Does anyone have any other tips or advice for integrating a new cat into a household with a territorial rear end in a top hat cat?

Since you worry about peeing issues, I would probably use Cat Attract litter. I'd take it slowly too, which sounds like your plan. I have 5 cats, and all the introductions have been different. Fred took probably 6 months before having free run of the house. He and my oldest have never really gotten along, but they tolerate each other now without any fighting. I've even caught them making kitty piles a few times recently. We've had him for 4 or 5 years now...I can't remember. In the beginning though, there were some nights where they would wakes us up making horrible noises. But Fred likes to be noisy in general, and even when he play fights with the other cats he can make some pretty horrible noises. Good luck! Most cats will learn to tolerate each other though, it can just take some time.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Oh, mickeymickey...I am so, so sorry. I'm always sad whenever anyone makes a post about losing a pet but I literally gasped when I read the first line of your post. It seems like just yesterday you were showing us pics of your little worrywart for the first time. :sympathy:

This probably isn't the urn site you were looking for, but it's the company I used when Rufus passed away earlier this year. They're local to me (Las Vegas) and did everything on-site, but I'm sure they could accommodate you. I even had them put some of his ashes in a heart pendant that I wear. http://www.petcremationnevada.com/default.aspx

:sympathy:

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

hhgtrillian posted:

I'm very sorry mickeymickey. This just breaks my heart.

Since you worry about peeing issues, I would probably use Cat Attract litter.

Definitely going to pick some of this up too. Thanks for your advice. :)

Lefty Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 26, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Oh god I'm so sorry mickeymickey. :(
I'm so, so, so sorry. I hope you know, even just coming from an Internet stranger, you were a Great owner, start to finish, and I was always happy to read your posts. I can't imagine what you're feeling but...hang in there. PM me if you want to talk?

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 26, 2012

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Thank you so much everyone. It really helps to hear kind words from people that "knew" Rory, even if it was over the internet. a life less, that Rudyard Kipling poem is so sweet, thank you. I'm going to email it to Eric. And Instant Jellyfish, thank you! That first link you posted is the one I was thinking of.

Sleep well, little guy. Mommy loves you. Wait for me.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Oh god mickeymickey, I am so sorry, that's horrible. :smith: I wish I knew anything else to say other than I'll be thinking about you and your fiance, and Rory. I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
I am so sorry to hear about Rory, mickeymickey. I've really enjoyed reading your posts about him. You gave him a great life, and lots of love. :sympathy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I cried for Rory, and I have never ever cried at an internet thread before. You're lucky to have known him and I think you did wonderfully as his guardian. He was lucky to have been loved so much.

• Locked thread