Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Policenaut posted:

Sakurazuka, is Pirate Warriors friendly to people who've never read/watched One Piece? Like does it properly go into its story? I've always wanted to get into that franchise but Jesus there's just so much manga and anime behind it that it becomes this daunting task. If Pirate Warriors can bring newbies "up to speed" to a certain point, that'd be great.

I would highly suggest you read the manga first before playing the game, if it truly goes all the way up to the end of the Grand Line. It'll probably gloss over a lot of otherwise great stuff from the manga, and from the looks of that Zoro vs Mihawk fight as well as what's been said so far in the last page or two, certain otherwise great scenes are rather poorly drawn out. For example, that fight lasts literally 14 pages in the manga, less than a single chapter, and is utterly one-sided. Also, it looks to be bloodless, which...considering the size of that sword and the slash, to then show Zoro not having a huge gash across his entire torso is weird, but I understand why they censored it.

I was really looking forward to playing the One Piece DW game, but then I saw it was PS3 exclusive, so instead I'll just youtube the cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theres no reason to rush to catch up, just take your time and read it in my opinion. You'll catch up eventually.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

Sakurazuka, is Pirate Warriors friendly to people who've never read/watched One Piece? Like does it properly go into its story? I've always wanted to get into that franchise but Jesus there's just so much manga and anime behind it that it becomes this daunting task. If Pirate Warriors can bring newbies "up to speed" to a certain point, that'd be great.

Eh, not really, the few bits I played that were ahead of where I am in the anime series (the opening and a bit around stage seven, the story is kind of told as a flashback from where the series was up to about 12 months or so ago) totally confused me and I already know the characters and have a vague idea where things were heading. It's on a par with the re-tellings in the first two DW Gundam games, you get a super vague idea of what's going on but no more than that.

Edit: On second thought it might be a bit better than DWG and some of the supplemental information in the gallery helps but it's still not a good introduction at all.

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, it looks to be bloodless, which...considering the size of that sword and the slash, to then show Zoro not having a huge gash across his entire torso is weird, but I understand why they censored it.

Honestly I've no idea why they censored it, the manga and anime versions are just as much for kids as the game and also manage to be appropriately bloody.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 24, 2012

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I never watched Gundam-anything and I really enjoyed DW:G 1 through 3. I expected the story was going to be convoluted, gappy and nonsensical. I've taken in a couple episodes of english-dubbed One-Piece courtesy of the show being on Hulu Plus and my kid liking it, but I don't care for it. I expect a poorly-arranged timeline of the manga/anime, but I expect if at the core of it there's a good ole KOEI beat em up in there, I'll get my money's worth.

I am also further qualifying that since it's not on Vita, I won't have to worry about bullshit gimmick touch-screen events that I'd undoubtedly grow infuriated with. I'm looking forward to it, even mostly ignorant of the anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly I've no idea why they censored it, the manga and anime versions are just as much for kids as the game and also manage to be appropriately bloody.
Game ratings are much more stringent than books and even tv shows are. Even a little gore can bump the rating up, and they don't want that. One Piece can be exceptionally bloody at times, and I want to ask you since you've played a large chunk of it, is the entire game like that? How much blood/gore is there? I don't necessarily DEMAND it or anything, but it does make certain scenes more poignant.

5er posted:

I never watched Gundam-anything and I really enjoyed DW:G 1 through 3. I expected the story was going to be convoluted, gappy and nonsensical. I've taken in a couple episodes of english-dubbed One-Piece courtesy of the show being on Hulu Plus and my kid liking it, but I don't care for it. I expect a poorly-arranged timeline of the manga/anime, but I expect if at the core of it there's a good ole KOEI beat em up in there, I'll get my money's worth.

I am also further qualifying that since it's not on Vita, I won't have to worry about bullshit gimmick touch-screen events that I'd undoubtedly grow infuriated with. I'm looking forward to it, even mostly ignorant of the anime.
I have never been a fan of the anime due to it being fairly out of control of the original author. The manga is far better, and far more cohesive. The author's a good person and he's made the entire series available to be read free online in Japan, because he realizes that purchasing 68 volumes of a manga at 7-10 dollars equivalence each is insanely unrealistic for young people to do. But he adds, "though if you do make a good income, I would like you to please buy them!" One Piece is the best selling book in Japanese history, and there's plenty of reasons why, that just being one example. The solid story and crazy creative design of the world and everything being another.

edit: If anyone's curious about the series, they've put the first 12 volumes into four omnibuses for a lot cheaper than if you bought them individually. For all four omnibuses it'll run you about 35 dollars total, which is almost a third of the retail price for the individual volumes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421536250?ie=UTF8&tag=craetive-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1421536250
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421536269?ie=UTF8&tag=craetive-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1421536269
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421536277?ie=UTF8&tag=craetive-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1421536277
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421536285?ie=UTF8&tag=craetive-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1421536285

I would request anyone interested give it a read all the way through the end of the Arlong Park arc, which finishes near the end of the 11th volume and signifies the end of the first leg of the journey, it's also one of the best arcs in the series and where the author really gets his footing.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 24, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Converting people are we? :unsmigghh:

The 5th omnibus, the start of the Baroque Works saga, comes out in February, so Viz is picking up omnibus production again.

Apparently no Skypiea and Thriller Bark? I was looking forward to wailing on Oars and Enel-face.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Invictus posted:

Game ratings are much more stringent than books and even tv shows are. Even a little gore can bump the rating up, and they don't want that. One Piece can be exceptionally bloody at times, and I want to ask you since you've played a large chunk of it, is the entire game like that? How much blood/gore is there?

There's no blood at all, anywhere.

Autumncomet posted:

Apparently no Skypiea and Thriller Bark? I was looking forward to wailing on Oars and Enel-face.

Skypiea is definitely out, it just jumps straight from Alabasta to Water 7. I stopped playing once I got to potentially spoilery bits for me, but Thriller Bark should have been up next and wasn't, so.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Guys I'm getting frustrated, I want to love Dynasty Warriors 7, Conquest Mode is great, but I'm sick of the game constantly having loading problems where the enemy officers won't spawn. I figured out if I do an interim save in the battle, then choose to exit the game, it'll hang up on the black screen for about a minute or so, then I can choose to continue and everything will work (for a while), but I'm getting really tired of being forced to do one or two interim saves every battle. Does anyone know of any way to solve this problem or am I just SOL?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Guys I'm getting frustrated, I want to love Dynasty Warriors 7, Conquest Mode is great, but I'm sick of the game constantly having loading problems where the enemy officers won't spawn. I figured out if I do an interim save in the battle, then choose to exit the game, it'll hang up on the black screen for about a minute or so, then I can choose to continue and everything will work (for a while), but I'm getting really tired of being forced to do one or two interim saves every battle. Does anyone know of any way to solve this problem or am I just SOL?

I played the living poo poo out of DW7 when it came out and this is (was?) not normal behavior. Maybe check your system/disc?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The disc seems to have some tiny scratches in it, it doesn't look bad to me but I dunno. I don't think it's the system, even though my PS3 is pretty old other disc games run just fine on it, so maybe the disc is the problem.

I guess at least it's good to know that this isn't normal, so now I can try and figure out how to fix it instead of just going "Well maybe it was like this for everyone."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Once had a Bluray that wouldn't play because I'd accidentally managed to get a fingerprint on it, I think those 'tiny scratches' are your answer.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Can anyone comment to the amount of content in Pirate Warriors? Love One Piece and Warriors stuff but after getting burned by Ken's Rage I can't help but be a bit apprehensive for 50 bucks. It's actually ~$53 or so for a physical copy import on shopto, so I would probably go that route.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone know if of the Warriors series of games are coming or available for PC? I've been dying for a fix and lack a console.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone know if of the Warriors series of games are coming or available for PC? I've been dying for a fix and lack a console.
Yeah, there have been PC versions of some of the games. Orochi Z got a PC version. Dunno outside of Japan or not though.

Also DW Online, obviously.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

There's Dynasty Warriors 4 Hyper, Warriors Orochi, Samurai Warriors 2, Dynasty Warriors 6, and Dynasty Warriors Online.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The PC version of DW7 plus XL showed up in the Steam files at some point but that was a pretty long time ago so who knows.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Can anyone comment to the amount of content in Pirate Warriors? Love One Piece and Warriors stuff but after getting burned by Ken's Rage I can't help but be a bit apprehensive for 50 bucks. It's actually ~$53 or so for a physical copy import on shopto, so I would probably go that route.

Probably about the same as Ken's Rage. The story mode doesn't let you choose a character, you're Luffy 90% of the time and switch to different characters at various points. The alternate mode has more characters than Ken's Rage though, the nine Straw-Hats plus three (I think) other major characters and there's also an online mode, which I haven't tried, but is probably as terrible as DWG 3.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My psn download and install of One Piece finished, giving me just 20mins to play it before I had to get to work. On the first map I think I witnessed the qte's pissing people off, but I managed to get through them perfectly, and I noticed they have a very gimmicky way of warning you to get ready to do some control pad fiddly poo poo. Overall, it's nowhere near as infuriating as DW Next's touch screen or gyroscopic garbage. ESPECIALLY the gyroscopic garbage. A-ranked it on the first try, missing S only because I took too long to finish the map while settling in to the controls.

If that first, brief tutorial is any indication of what's to come, I'll probably enjoy this one.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably about the same as Ken's Rage. The story mode doesn't let you choose a character, you're Luffy 90% of the time and switch to different characters at various points. The alternate mode has more characters than Ken's Rage though, the nine Straw-Hats plus three (I think) other major characters and there's also an online mode, which I haven't tried, but is probably as terrible as DWG 3.

That sounds fine then. If the combo system is more like DWG or DW7, I'll be content. Thanks!

KoB
May 1, 2009
How much is One Piece? I need to know what kind of PSN cash card to get.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

$50, not a bad price as far as I'm concerned (since I'm such a Koei Warriors whore.)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

KoB posted:

Pretty sure it's 49.99.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

How good are the costumes? I'd hope theres a bunch, especially outfits from Alabaster. (I think that had Zoros tropical shirt?)

Does the game have Sogeking as a seperate character? Usopps my fav. Anyone played as him yet?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dj Meow Mix posted:

That sounds fine then. If the combo system is more like DWG or DW7, I'll be content. Thanks!

The combo system is a lot different from any of the Warriors games I've played. It's not just pressing square a lot with triangle ending it. For example, to do Gum Gum Spear you have to do Triangle, Square, Triangle, Square. For Gum Gum Rocket it's Triangle, Square, Square, Square. It takes a bit of getting used to, but like the other games you can pause at any time and check your move list. The R1 button is used for special moves like Bazooka, Mallet, and Balloon, and you can switch between those freely with the d-pad. There's also no jumping, X is used to evade and also for guard breaking a blocking enemy.

I just beat Arlong, and I'm liking it so far. It's different, but it's not bad. There's a lot of QTEs during the "platforming" sections, they're a little overdone I think but they're not difficult and they're really just minor annoyances. I'd prefer that there were less of them but I can live with them.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I hope one of my friends gets One Piece Warriors because gently caress, I have no ps3 anymore. :smith:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I may have to change the difficulty to easy for the Soap Bubble Archipelago, I've tried it four times and each time Kizaru manages to defeat Chopper when he goes after him (it doesn't help that a Pacifista usually wanders over there too).

Also is it just me or does Gear 2nd seem to not really be that useful?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

So it's officially Soap Bubble Archipelago? That's odd, Funimation leaves it written as Sabaody in the simulcast and Viz uses Sabaody as well in the volumes.

Do we get Loguetown and if so, do we see Smoker and Tashigi? Whether I drop money for my brother to play it now or wait for Christmas when I get home and can play is entirely dependent on this. :colbert:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's both, they use Sabaody in the level intro, but on the pause screen the level is called something like "Battle in the Soap Bubble Archipelago."

Unfortunately, Smoker and Tashigi aren't even mentioned. They don't mention Skypeia either, aside from a mention of Sky Island in the gallery entry for Dials. I'm guessing/hoping that if this does well, there will be a second game with more levels and characters and hopefully a lot of the missing stuff from this one will be in it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I'd probably buy Shonen Jump Warriors with a more traditional DW mode as the main thing.

THe worst part about the platforming in my opinion is that I like the 3rd person vertical camera as normal but first person as inverted, so everything takes twice as long as I go in the opposite direction right off the bat.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Unfortunately, Smoker and Tashigi aren't even mentioned. They don't mention Skypeia either, aside from a mention of Sky Island in the gallery entry for Dials.
:cry:

Guess I'm waiting; if my brother doesn't get to appreciate Smoker and Tashigi and their wonderful ways then he doesn't get to beat up pirates before I do. :colbert:

About how much platforming is there? I've seen Water 7 and that's just slightly ridiculous.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I decided to go for the get all items trophy in Warriors Orochi 3.

Turns out some of the battles don't spawn enough people for you to kill to get to the item goal. I've failed Battle of Nazhong like 7 times because every time I get to 50-100 kills to go, Da Ji runs away. :suicide:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

About how much platforming is there? I've seen Water 7 and that's just slightly ridiculous.

There isn't a LOT of it. There's three types of stages, which I found out from the level select screen: Action, Musou, Boss. The Musou stages are typical Warriors games fare, there's sometimes a tiny bit of platforming but the major focus is beating up a bunch of dudes. The Boss stages are usually just boss fights, the other two types of stages can have boss fights too (notably the King's Tomb level where you fight Crocodile) but Boss stages are pretty much solely boss fights. Action stages are primarily platforming.

So far, Water 7 seems to be the worst offender. It was really, really bad, I'm not gonna lie. The level where you carry around Nami was a bit boring and tedious, but not too bad. It should have been much shorter, definitely.

It probably sounds like I'm bashing the game and it's definitely rubbed some people the wrong way. It's still a fun game, but it has quite a bit of flaws that keep it from being truly great.

Off-topic: one of the voices for the Marine characters is totally the same guy who voices Masanori. That guy sure does like yelling.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The GIG posted:

I decided to go for the get all items trophy in Warriors Orochi 3.

Turns out some of the battles don't spawn enough people for you to kill to get to the item goal. I've failed Battle of Nazhong like 7 times because every time I get to 50-100 kills to go, Da Ji runs away. :suicide:
I think as long as you don't approach the area she's in right at the end, you can hang around the last fort and kill mooks until you have enough. She gets tied up fighting Zhu Rong and just seems to stay there for quite a while. That's how I got that item anyway (it was the last one I needed, for more or less the exact same reason you're having trouble).

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 30, 2012

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I just got done with the Main Log in One Piece, Water 7 is definitely the worst action stage because of how borderline confusing it gets. Also the 3 Admirals in general are complete pains to fight.

I tried to online co-op yesterday with a few friends who got the game and it works great, we had a lot of fun. The only annoying thing is having to reinvite after every level.

My favorite thing is pressing select with all the characters to see what they do. (Luffy puts on his hat, Zoro puts on his bandana, etc...)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Something about Pirate Warriors seems even more low budget than other Warriors games; the story mode is pretty short, characters in another log mode only seem to have about five stages each and things like Nami's one musou bar special glitching out the camera every single time and occasionally not working at all just seem to give it a rushed feel.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sakurazuka posted:

Something about Pirate Warriors seems even more low budget than other Warriors games; the story mode is pretty short, characters in another log mode only seem to have about five stages each and things like Nami's one musou bar special glitching out the camera every single time and occasionally not working at all just seem to give it a rushed feel.

One Piece is such a media juggernaut in Japan Im always shocked at how low quality everything but the comic itself is. The cartoon is awful, the games are always poo poo, the movies are stinkers aside from 2 of them. Youd think Shounen Jump would put a little bit of effort into stuff relating to their flagship series, but I guess they dont have to.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

characters in another log mode only seem to have about five stages each

Actually more than one of them only have one stage. That's disappointing to me too, that so many of the Another Log "storylines" are so short. I guess that's by necessity (Luffy fights most of the major threats in each arc) but it still sucks.

Meme Emulator posted:

the games are always poo poo

Hey One Piece Grand Adventure was pretty cool.

Just beat the main log but I got the "bad" ending. I guess all that's left after that is to clean up Another Log and grind for coins. I found out there's three coins you can only get through online mode, and you get them by playing through online stages with three different people on your friends list.

Also if anyone cares about trophies, there's a confirmed trophy glitch that makes one gold (and thus the Platinum) unobtainable at the moment. Basically the programmers screwed up and two skills have the same coin combination, meaning you can't unlock the other skill and thus can't get all the skills. Who knows if it'll get patched.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If you have a Japanese PSN account, you can go and grab the demo for Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires now. As you might expect, the entire demo is in Japanese. Don't let this dissuade you though from trying it, I figured out just about what everything did in the important parts within a few minutes of trial and error. It's around 1100MB in size.

Anyway, the big draw of the demo is the Edit Mode, which allows you to create your own officer. Tecmo Koei was actually really cool about this and apparently gives you the entire, retail level Edit Mode for the demo with no features removed. The officers you create and save will actually carry over into the final version, but that won't apply to you unless you plan on buying a Japanese version of the game.

Edit Mode's got quite a few features too. There seem to be a lot more creation options per section than just the usual 4/5 you might see in previous Empires games, although some complaints I have are that there seem to be 3 "basic" faces and Nobunyaga isn't in the demo (because apparently he's a pack-in DLC thing) so I just made some evil dark not-Nobunaga with black and gold armor. Move setup is kind of neat too. You can pick your weapon style, which includes all the DW7XL and the new Empires cast, and choose your EX, ground, and air musou attacks.

After you create your officer, you can take them for a test drive. You hit square on the officer select screen and you get the option to try them out in a mock battle. It's a short, five minute battle like you would typically find in an Empires game where you and the new DW7 Empires dude basically smack down a bunch of Wu dudes lead by Xiahou Dun for some reason. They give you a really strong weapon and level you up pretty high so you get a good idea as to how your dude will perform at his prime. The frame rate felt really wonky for some reason, like in the beginning of the demo I kept randomly dropping to what felt like mid 20s? It played just like DW7 though so I can't complain all that much.

The new Metroid Prime-ish HUD is kind of weird. It's functionally the exact same as your usual DW HUD, but with curved bars. Tecmo Koei finally fixed one of my huge annoyances with the Create-A-Warrior characters too: they give your guys their own officer dialogue portrait instead of a shadow face. It's a little different from the usual portrait, as it's an in-game model of your character's upper body rather than a picture of their face, but it's the little things that matter to me sometimes.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 11, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh and in actual news, Tecmo Koei is announcing a new Dynasty Warriors thing on November 1st. A lot of news comments I'm reading make the guess that it's something to do with Wii U, like maybe a version of DW7 for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Policenaut posted:

Oh and in actual news, Tecmo Koei is announcing a new Dynasty Warriors thing on November 1st. A lot of news comments I'm reading make the guess that it's something to do with Wii U, like maybe a version of DW7 for it.

At the very least, they should make the Pokemon Conquest outfits unlockable in WO3 Hyper (young bare-chested Nobunaga :syoon:)