Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahhh Real Zombies!
Jul 16, 2007
Get it?
Should have been Juice. Glad it wasn't Chibbs.

Jax, during his talk with Tig, should have told Tig he had to send $3,000 a month or whatever to whoever is taking care of Opie's kids. And if it's Lyla she should get a promotion or something.

But nope, Opie's now orphaned kids, orphaned because both parents murdered because of the club, don't even come up in conversation. Of course.

What was up with Tara getting her boss to sign those papers? Something about working at the prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Cool. Gemma and Tara are feuding over dumb ~~family~~ bullshit for the nth time. That never gets old.

The prison stuff was generally pretty good until Opie's death. I'm kind of relieved to be honest, like he was put out of his misery before the Sons kill his new wife, kids, dog, and burn his house down.

Oh, and this is another "innocent" death Tig is basically responsible for. That guy must be just a walking pile of guilt at this point.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I skipped over all the Gemma/family/MY GRANDSON crap. Did I miss anything at all?

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
My husband is a thieving, murdering scumbag, I am an accomplice to murder and other nasty poo poo but you are so much beneath me because you were a junkie and poo poo. :smug:

I hate Tara.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Junior G-man posted:

I skipped over all the Gemma/family/MY GRANDSON crap. Did I miss anything at all?

Gemma and Tara argued about the same stuff they always argue about. Gemma sent Adriana from The Sopranos to talk to Tara but Tara saw through the ruse. Tara threatened Gemma ("I won't kill you but my husband might"). Gemma found Clay in Nero's brothel and beat the poo poo out of the innocent prostitute he had presumably just finished loving because she's a completely unsympathetic character at this point.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
I personally enjoyed the episode. Whatever, obvioulsy the series has gone down since Seasons 1 & 2 but I still enjoy watching bikers do outlandish acts. Watching Op die though was pretty rough, I kind of felt I was behind the glass just watching.

Also, I just love series of television in general, once I start watching I get invested with characters and seeing how a story plays out, no matter how lovely or not lovely it shall get!

edit: and everyone who says they won't watch now that Opie has been killed off probably has been saying they are going to stop watching since season 3 ended. See you next week!

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Ahhh Real Zombies! posted:

Should have been Juice. Glad it wasn't Chibbs.

Jax, during his talk with Tig, should have told Tig he had to send $3,000 a month or whatever to whoever is taking care of Opie's kids. And if it's Lyla she should get a promotion or something.

But nope, Opie's now orphaned kids, orphaned because both parents murdered because of the club, don't even come up in conversation. Of course.

What was up with Tara getting her boss to sign those papers? Something about working at the prison?

What I find so contrived about Opie's death is he has two kids he just orphaned so he could lay down on his sword for a club that has hosed him over multiple times and he was pretty much through with just an episode earlier.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
When Pope demanded a Son die Jax should've immediately called the club and have Happy kill Goon Prospect. Everybody wins.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Seams posted:

have Happy kill Goon Prospect. Everybody wins.

You shut your goddamn mouth :argh:

Why not just off one of those random Nomads who just joined? I can't even remember their loving names.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
After tonights episode my favorite characters are all either dead or really minor characters like Happy and that dude from Lights Out. Nthing the call to get Ryan Hurst on Justified or any TV show that doesn't suck.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend
Get him on Justified and make him a producer.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Simstim posted:

What I find so contrived about Opie's death is he has two kids he just orphaned so he could lay down on his sword for a club that has hosed him over multiple times and he was pretty much through with just an episode earlier.

That has been a theme with him during the entire history of the show. His loyalty to his kids/significant others always seemed to be second to his loyalty to the club and Jax no matter what he did. He couldn't escape it his entire life and he didn't escape it in death. I'd say it's a pretty suitable end to his character. That's life, rarely does it end on a good note. I'm pretty pleased that he didn't get a happy ending, this makes more sense in my opinion.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it kind of is a happy ending for him in an odd way. He has been looking for an out this entire time, he finally got it.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

That has been a theme with him during the entire history of the show. His loyalty to his kids/significant others always seemed to be second to his loyalty to the club and Jax no matter what he did. He couldn't escape it his entire life and he didn't escape it in death. I'd say it's a pretty suitable end to his character. That's life, rarely does it end on a good note. I'm pretty pleased that he didn't get a happy ending, this makes more sense in my opinion.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it kind of is a happy ending for him in an odd way. He has been looking for an out this entire time, he finally got it.

That is not true at all, Opie's coming to terms with Trigger killing his wife was an rear end pull by Sutter to begin with, but even so, his loyalty to the club was hanging by a hairstring last season, and this was before he found out Clay killed his dad, then he was through with the club and with Jax, until at the last minute he had a change of heart and decided to get locked up, at which point Jax lays down a bucket of truth on him and Opie tells him he made the wrong call and two scenes later decides to die, for Trigger's gently caress up no less. It's lovely writing.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
^^^
I entirely agree with this. It seems inconsistent and random for Opie to decide to die for "the club" at this point.

It was quite far fetched that he decided to voluntarily join them at the prison, but that is attributed to Jax being his "best friend" or something (regardless of him actually hating what Jax has become, and where the club is heading). And it was idiotic to treat the "is this you becoming me" lightly (as a joke) in the end of the last episode, because I thought that was a good moment for Opie (when he said to Jax that he does not want to become like him).

Also, with Opie now gone, I pretty much hate or feel indifferent about the remaining members of the club. I also feel there's no hope for this version of the club to ever redeem itself and head for the direction that season 1/2 seemed to promise (based on John Teller's diary).

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Just catching up to the episode and now I know what all the "gently caress Sutter" gifs were about.

:sigh:

The friendly bear bit is spot on. Honestly, has there been any character has had it as bad as Opie has during SoA? I was half-expecting Sutter to drop trow and evacuate his bowels into the sunken, bloodied crater of Opie's skull.

Chibs' is about the only Son left I care about, but nobody tell Sutter that or he's liable to bring Chibs' family back only to be slowly ran over by lawnmowers.

As for the comparisons to the Shield, the reason why things didn't turn out the way this one is, is because while Kurt wrote for that show, it was Shawn Ryan's creation. When there isn't anyone to rein Sutter in, well... v:v:v

By the way, since this season a sort of bizarro-version of season 2, wasn't it the third episode in Season 2 that Opie's wife was killed?

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

The SARS Volta posted:

Zach Handlen, the AV Club guy who blogs about SOA, nails it:

Sons of Anarchy Season 5: A friendly bear abused by drunken clowns.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

So I just got into this show about 3 weeks ago and burned through the first season in practically no time, thinking I'd walked into a really enjoyable show. I wasn't too crazy about how the writers wrote in every law enforcement agent ever without the audience expecting them to be a complete joke, but I was readily willing to hand out passes because guns&motorcycles.

Season 2 I still found somewhat enjoyable despite whatever Agent Stahl is supposed to be. Then season three happened, Ireland happened, season 4 happened, a law enforcement character somehow worse than agent Stahl was introduced, everyone everywhere died/went to prison/got out of prison/ratted/didn't rat/etc. it's like a hazy whirl of one of those chase scenes through physics-defying doors along a hallway from scooby doo...with more guns&motorcycles.

And then this.

RIP Gerry Bertier.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Agreeing with what almost everyone else has said so far. I'm not done with the show because it was basically background noise for me for the past two seasons, but man this show needs a loving story editor who's not afraid of challenging Sutter. There are no meaningful arcs, there are no characters who act rationally, everything that saves the Sons comes out of nowhere. Christ season 2 was so great because it was constantly raising the stakes and the Sons were loosing until the end. Now it's just some CIA poo poo. Opie should have killed Clay, but since he knew it would gently caress over everyone he killed himself rather than deal with it, it's lovely. He needed to kill Clay so the Sons were desperate to find a new gun connection and end up with an evil motherfucker that would sends things towards the eventual endgame.

Hire me Sutter, for a oval office blogger I sure know how to spin a yarn.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Aaaaaaaand, season pass deleted.

I dont know if it's wrong to ask, but how long until Justified comes back?

Pretty appropriate.

Requesting early thread title change:

Sons of Anarchy Season 5: probably only 5 months until Justified is back

SmellsLikeToast posted:

For the first couple of seasons. When Vic had reasons for everything he did. Then it just turned into "WHAT WILL HE DO NEXT?!" When Sutter runs out of ideas he just resorts to trying to see what he can get away with.

You are probably literally the only one with this opinion. The Shield got better with every season, with the first seasons being downgradable to pretty drat bad in comparison. Christ, it's not even Sutters show.

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"
I don't know if I'm trying to hard, but was Opie supposed to have mental health issues?

Like that "I don't know if I love anyone" was him deciding he was worthless and the world would be a better place without him? So he saw sacrificing himself (for Jax and his kids rather than the club) as the only noble thing he could do?

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.

SneakySneaks posted:

Opie should have killed Clay, but since he knew it would gently caress over everyone he killed himself rather than deal with it, it's lovely.

Even worse I think Opie's choice to fight was supposed to be a giant gently caress YOU to Jax for, you know, ditching everything his character has been about since day one in a matter of about 10 minutes of screen time, but as usual the only thing that Opie had left to say flew over Jax's head at the speed of 500 bro walks, which makes it even worse that he did it. His swan song was drowned out by the flatulent blatting of a passing tugboat full of stupid.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
This was all happening in podunk county jail, not prison, which makes the entire episode even more ridiculous. I like to think that an elderly Otis Campbell is cowering in the corner of the shower wondering why he ever left Mayberry.

Why is an international criminal gang who deals with huge Mexican cartels, the CIA, and the IRA scared of some backwater drug dealer and his bumbling group of street thugs? It doesn't make any sense.

More importantly, John Teller, a motorcyle mechanic who owned a motorcycle mechanic shop where he did mechanic stuff on motorcycles...he knew for months that he was going to be killed by Clay messing with his bike. At that point, perhaps using some of your life skills to examine your bike before roaring down the freeway would be a good idea.

Pope, upset that Tig killed his daughter, kills Tig's daughter. Then a Son must die, he proclaims! As the method of execution he decides to potentially sacrifice roomfuls of his own gang members. The only thing that prevented that from happening is Kurt Sutter's lack of dramatic flair.

Next week on Sons of Anarchy, the remaining gang members engage in a butter eating contest to win a new delivery truck!

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

cornface posted:

More importantly, John Teller, a motorcyle mechanic who owned a motorcycle mechanic shop where he did mechanic stuff on motorcycles...he knew for months that he was going to be killed by Clay messing with his bike. At that point, perhaps using some of your life skills to examine your bike before roaring down the freeway would be a good idea.

Or if Teller knew that Clay was gunning for him why didn't he take him out first? A lack of balls and foresight must be a trait in that family.

The scene between Tara and Wendy was also pretty stupid. Yes Tara you are a surgeon. A surgeon whose married to the leader of a known criminal organization. A man who at the time was in jail on suspicion of murder. There's also the fact that the child in question was kidnapped because of his father's criminal activities. Seriously that would probably be the shortest custody fight in history.

I also liked that evil guard straight out of a B prison flick was actually cowed by Jax's threat instead of just laughing it off or reporting it.

I'm also counting the days until Justified comes back. At this point they would have to bring in Poochie as Raylan's new partner to be worse than this. Who am I kidding that would be a hundred times more entertaining than half the poo poo Sutter has crapped out in the last two years.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

basx posted:

Sons of Anarchy Season 5: A friendly bear abused by drunken clowns.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Requesting early thread title change:

Sons of Anarchy Season 5: probably only 5 months until Justified is back

Sensing a theme here...

RIP Opie. What a horrible end for an abused character.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BrandonGK posted:

I also liked that evil guard straight out of a B prison flick was actually cowed by Jax's threat instead of just laughing it off or reporting it.

Who would he be reporting this to exactly.

"Hello sir, so this guy is a little pissed that I forced him to watch his best friend's head get bashed in, and he threatened to kill me. Oh, did I mention he is the president of an international motorcycle gang that specializes in weapons trafficking?"

I'm more surprised that the evil guard was stupid enough to accept Pope's offer in the first place.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Opie took the honorable route out because he was stuck in a cell with Jax summarizing the past couple seasons of stupidity and when he got to the CIA part Opie's brain shut down as a defense mechanism. You'd all do the same.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

kensei posted:

Sensing a theme here...

RIP Opie. What a horrible end for an abused character.

I imagine when Sutter told him that his character was going to die in prison during a gang assault in an episode called Laying Pipe, he was expecting it to be worse than it was.

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.
I was really hoping that Opie would just :black101: all four bad guys and then look around like "What now mother fuckers."

And everyone just does :staredog: at him. Jax does a :smugdog: and says we're getting out of here later this week and when we do its either stick with Pope or stick with us.

But instead they sacrifice Opie for no real reason. They let Pope intimidate them for no reason, and they let the guards who should know how serious the cartel's jail house reach is, be swayed by Pope in the first place.

Like the Sons can't find out who works at the SJCCF as a guard.
Like the Sons or cartel can't find out where Pope lives....

The second Jax gets out we'd better see some serious grudge killings going on to even remotely try to fix this stupid rear end story line.

That said the poo poo with Gemma and Tara was loving stupid.
Gemma and Nero's plot line is super retarded. Why does Nero even put up with Gemma's associated bullshit unless there is some angle he's working?

I'm really missing the Sons having Piney or a sane voice reigning in their stupidity this season.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fat Ogre posted:

But instead they sacrifice Opie for no real reason. They let Pope intimidate them for no reason, and they let the guards who should know how serious the cartel's jail house reach is, be swayed by Pope in the first place.

Yeah that's really the worst part about the writing. The cartel/CIA/Great Old Ones are simultaneously omnipotent across multiple continents yet somehow can't keep four guys out of county lockup.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Last night was the first episode I've missed in years because I felt "meh". Can't say that this changes it.

This all heading towards an inevitable ending where Pope's group gets gunned down by the dramatic return of Zobelle's WHITE POWER brotherhood to Charming, thus saving the Sons and forcing a deal between the groups.

Yes, that would be terrible but the sad part is something insane like that could happen because the writing has gone into full on professional wrestling mode.

I think everything in this show was going up, up, up until the moment of Weston's badass death. Everything after that has been going down, down, down. Well, except the ratings of course.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I honestly don't understand how this show has gotten more successful as its quality has declined.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Is it possible that Tara going to work at the prison is about getting to Otto because the lawyer said she could not?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

This is the worst loving show. gently caress it. I'm out. I hope everyone dies.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Sutter Ink posted:

Unfortunately, I believe this fast-food unformation is already backfiring on the Republican Party. The adage “the truth will set you free” is not only a biblical lesson; it’s the core need of our human nature. We need truth to evolve. It’s the basic building block in all our relationships -- with God, spouses, children, friends, employers, everyone. Without honesty we die inside. We can exist in nontruth, but we cannot grow. Now that might sound like ethereal, psychobabble bullshit, but it’s not. It’s pretty loving simple. Lies kill us.

FYI: That’s what Sons of Anarchy is all about.

Sutter Ink posted:

As we break episode seven and eight, I'm very aware that this is a different kind of season of Sons. Yes, there are large thematic and serialized arcs. Yes, there are new antagonists and allies. Yes, there are high stakes and testosterone driven narratives. But for the first time, intentionally so, I've not locked down my endgame. I'm letting the season unfold, seeing where relationships and emotional lives lead us. Basically, my grip is looser. I'm trusting my writers, my directors, and my creative team much more. Not unlike my personal life, I've realized that my obsessive need for absolute control ultimately leads to absolute stagnation and ultimately, remorse.

Unfortunately for the interweb, my life, my struggles as an artist are an open loving book. This is the "Rolling with the Cunts" chapter.

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 26, 2012

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

While I don't hate this show with the passion that a lot of you do, I suspect that it's because I haven't re-watched S1 or S2 in a few years. Perhaps it's because I'm afraid that if I do, I'll realize what a lovely situation the longtime fans are in- I'd liken it to an abused wife being fearful of looking at old photo albums because she knows she'll realize what a prick her husband has turned into.

quote:

I'm trusting my writers, my directors, and my creative team much more. Not unlike my personal life, I've realized that my obsessive need for absolute control ultimately leads to absolute stagnation and ultimately, remorse.

This may actually be a good thing, especially if Sutter was responsible for the stunning exercise in failure that the end of S4 was.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This all heading towards an inevitable ending where Pope's group gets gunned down by the dramatic return of Zobelle's WHITE POWER brotherhood to Charming, thus saving the Sons and forcing a deal between the groups.

The Sons, after coming to terms with Zobelle having Gemma raped, secretly form a non-aggression pact with the aryans to get Romeo Parada and that captain from The Shield killed in order to bury the RICO case (because RICO investigations, as indeed all investigations and cases, are built and maintained entirely by one or two individuals and filed in exactly one folder, the destruction of which obviously makes everything contained and implicated therein implode and disappear without legal recourse).

Unbeknownst to the Sons, the aryans, who have not come to term with the execution of AJ Weston, plan to resurrect him by re-burying his previously exhumed remains on the burial grounds of the indian reservation slash ammo factory.
They lure the sons and their CIA comrades to the site of their dark ritual and, illuminated by burning swastikas and summoned by the blood of Romeo and Acaveda, Weston explodes out of his grave riding Bobby's broken-down smoke-billowing chopper (which, unbeknownst to them, was buried there as well and hasn't come to terms with the abandonment by Bobby) and proceeds to slaughter the sons.

Amidst the killing spree, the restless and still unpatched soul of half-sack, which was trapped on the reservation ever since Clay made him take shrooms there (incidentally, also a thing it hasn't come to terms with), rises from the fango-pit and attempts to get his revenge on the REAL(tm) IRA, which has somehow been hiding in the bushes with lots of state-of-the-art german weapons (more convenient untraceable guns) and the ensueing firefight kills everyone but Jax, who remains in a pool of his own blood in the middle of the battlefield.

Rushing to the aid of her only son, Gemma (not having come to term with anything ever) cradles his head and cries skyward as he breathes his last breath.

Out of nowhere, Ed O'Neil crashes into the picture and knocks Gemma's head off with the Emmy he didn't win on monday. (you see, because he hasn't come to ahh, gently caress it)

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Sons Of Anarchy: Season 5 - Coming to terms with awful writing

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 26, 2012

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
If you think of this show as a soap opera like General Hospital or Days of Our Lives it becomes much more watchable.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend
Don't worry guys. Jax is gonna get to the bottom of this and figure out who did this to Opie.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Donny Brook posted:

Don't worry guys. Jax is gonna get to the bottom of this and figure out who did this to Opie.

Due to a tragic misunderstanding, the Sons head out on the road again to seek justice in Vatican City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Killing Opie was loving dumb, having Clay still be alive and relevant is loving dumb, the Gemma/Tara feuds are old and dumb, and Gemma in general has just become loving dumb.

But Juice getting grabbed by the cougar madam when he walked in the door was pretty great.

• Locked thread