Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I have a Galaxy Nexus. What apps should I be using for consuming and managing audiobooks and ebooks not purchased through Play, and where in the file system should I place them? It doesn't seem like any of the Google apps handle this. I've been listening to audiobooks with Google Music, but that leaves a lot to be desired as there are no bookmarking features and I end up hearing random book chapters when I am shuffling all music. For eBooks, I have a bunch of DRM free files that are mostly PDF with a few random formats thrown in. I've been putting the PDFs in my downloads directory then viewing them in the stock document viewer, but that also leaves a lot to be desired due to lack of bookmarking and no way to organize and separate my ebooks from regular downloads. Any recommendations?

Unrelated request: what's a good free file browser/manager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
ES File Explorer, and convert your ebooks to epub and use Aldiko.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Or solid explorer, it's pretty neat too. I moved to it from ES a while ago and I like it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Aldiko was just what I was looking for. Is there anything similar for audiobooks? Both of those explorers seem great. Thanks for the recommendations!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
On PowerAmp, I tried it on recommendation. Once I figured out how the hell it worked it kind of made sense but ogg files are all crackly. Did some searching and it seems a lot of people have this issue. So I guess I'll keep looking for a player that suits me.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I think the problem is google-side not the album grabber side. You will need to remove the music from your google play and re-upload the files with the embedded album art.

What do you mean? Other than the free tracks and albums I grab from google, I put all my music on my SD card. Are you telling me there is a google cloud service for music?

I am guessing i probably have to put an album art.jpg into the folder in my case, i was just hoping there was an app to do it for me.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Primworm posted:

Are you telling me there is a google cloud service for music?

Yes. Google Play Music.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.

DemonMage posted:

Yes. Google Play Music.

I just never realized it was a cloud service. I don't have regular access to wifi anyway (I am tethering as we speak) so putting it on my SD the old fashioned way works a little better for me.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Primworm posted:

I just never realized it was a cloud service. I don't have regular access to wifi anyway (I am tethering as we speak) so putting it on my SD the old fashioned way works a little better for me.

You can upload your entire library to the service, and sync specific songs or playlists to your device.

And whoever recommended GoodNews, thank you. Looks great so far.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

grilldos posted:

And whoever recommended GoodNews, thank you. Looks great so far.
It got an update today. It just keeps getting nicer to use.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It got an update today. It just keeps getting nicer to use.

I haven't used GoodReader in a while but I'll probably buy it soon. What did the update do?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

I haven't used GoodReader in a while but I'll probably buy it soon. What did the update do?
Added a new mobilizer for formatting, added option for volume key scrolling/navigation, improves article sharing, adds an option for wakelock while viewing an article, and some other miscellaneous bug fixes and UI tweaks.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

torjus posted:

You can do this with a combination of If This Then That and Pushover.

Thanks for this, these are both very powerful tools. I setup a lot of cool IFTTT rules and let them come through Pushover. Alerting me of twitter/instagram posts by specific users, backing up photos in dropbox, weather changes, sickbeard notifications, and RSS feed updates to name a few.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Splinter posted:

Aldiko was just what I was looking for. Is there anything similar for audiobooks? Both of those explorers seem great. Thanks for the recommendations!

This is what I use for audiobooks and I cannot recommend it enough: Mortplayer Audiobooks

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just grabbed poweramp because I've heard so much about it but never had music on an sd card until now. So far I'm really liking it, but is there a way to remove the artist and album listed under each individual track in album view? I understand how that may be useful in folder view or for a playlist, but as I listen to music by the album I really don't need to see that each song is, in fact, from that same album. It's actually quite distracting to not just have the tracks listed.

e: now with overly descriptive screenshot! I don't want any of the stuff that's crossed out in red. It clutters up the screen like crazy and I can't find anything in the settings to turn it off. So much screen space wasted when it can just give me the ~10 track titles to choose from

Teeter fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 26, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Was the GoodNews page crashing the Play Store (on the phone) for anyone else? I tried to check what's new in the update a few times, but it was having none of that.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

hooah posted:

Was the GoodNews page crashing the Play Store (on the phone) for anyone else? I tried to check what's new in the update a few times, but it was having none of that.

It was doing it for me a few days ago, but has cleared up on it's own now. I think it just hates me, between that and the random 3g use.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

hooah posted:

Yep, here too. Force closed every time. After updating still does actually.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
What the hell is the point of Currents when it entirely ignores all my sciency/nerdy subscriptions and fills my screen with Romney poo poo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

What the hell is the point of Currents when it entirely ignores all my sciency/nerdy subscriptions and fills my screen with Romney poo poo.

Welcome to the Republican party :smug:

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Is there a way to re-activate the Google Maps area of uncertainty? It's bugging the hell out of me, and I'm seriously thinking about just installing an older version.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Freezer posted:

Is there a way to re-activate the Google Maps area of uncertainty? It's bugging the hell out of me, and I'm seriously thinking about just installing an older version.
No you can't, but you can send feedback complaining about it in the settings.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hooah posted:

I actually popped in the thread to ask this! Luckily I remembered that the dev posts the change log on their website. Here's a link: http://www.goodnews-mobile.com/category/release

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

LastInLine posted:

Welcome to the Republican party :smug:

Really I don't care which side it is. I want to read my subscriptions, not other crap.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Really I don't care which side it is. I want to read my subscriptions, not other crap.
I was joking, hence the joke ;)

lelandjs posted:

I actually popped in the thread to ask this! Luckily I remembered that the dev posts the change log on their website. Here's a link: http://www.goodnews-mobile.com/category/release
The changelog isn't presented on the Play Store regardless. It's viewable in the app however.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
:siren: $0.25 Sale Incoming! :siren:

GooglePlay hits 25 billion downloads. They are going to do a sale over the next 5 days! No details on what except apps from "top developers including Gameloft, Electronic Arts, Rovio, runtastic, Full Fat and more."

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Siroc posted:

:siren: $0.25 Sale Incoming! :siren:

GooglePlay hits 25 billion downloads. They are going to do a sale over the next 5 days! No details on what except apps from "top developers including Gameloft, Electronic Arts, Rovio, runtastic, Full Fat and more."

Sweet, I got some good stuff last time.

General_Failure posted:

On PowerAmp, I tried it on recommendation. Once I figured out how the hell it worked it kind of made sense but ogg files are all crackly. Did some searching and it seems a lot of people have this issue. So I guess I'll keep looking for a player that suits me.

Have you tried toggling Direct Volume Control? Apparently it can cause problems on some phones. Settings -> Audio -> Advanced Tweaks.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
Here's the list of the apps for today so far:

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-play-25-cent-apps-open-post

Angry Birds Space Premium
Asphalt 7: Heat
Clouds & Sheep Premium
Draw Something
Granny Smith
Let's Create! Pottery
London Bus Checker
NFL Kicker 13
Ocean HD
OfficeSuite Pro 6+
Sudoku
Symphony of Eternity
Tasks

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Edit: Need to post faster

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Are the sale apps going to change every day or is it the same apps all week?

tyang209
Feb 17, 2007
It'll change daily.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Here's the Google Play link.

The icons on the banner seem to be different than the apps currently on offer, so I'd suppose they'll rotate out the cheap apps.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I picked up OfficeSuite Pro 6+ and Tasks. I've heard OfficeSuite bombards you with upsell ads for "Office-Compatible Font Packs" but I haven't seen anything thus far so who knows.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I got a HTC One S which seems fine except the lovely AMOLED screen reports 960x540 pixels and webpages are basically unreadable with teeny blurry type. I tried out Firefox and Chrome, but they don't really seem to improve the situation. Any fix?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

the talent deficit posted:

I got a HTC One S which seems fine except the lovely AMOLED screen reports 960x540 pixels and webpages are basically unreadable with teeny blurry type. I tried out Firefox and Chrome, but they don't really seem to improve the situation. Any fix?
Chrome->3 dots->Settings->Accessibility->Text scaling

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

So is it impossible to listen to youtube videos with the screen locked? I like to listen to lectures and speeches and other similar things on youtube and would like to do it on my phone while I'm walking around doing things. I did a bunch of googling but all I got were a bunch of dodgy apps that didn't work at all.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Taffer posted:

So is it impossible to listen to youtube videos with the screen locked? I like to listen to lectures and speeches and other similar things on youtube and would like to do it on my phone while I'm walking around doing things. I did a bunch of googling but all I got were a bunch of dodgy apps that didn't work at all.
Google wants it that way. Apparently it's part of the terms of service.
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/iyzedbaAAtA

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
So I'm headed off to Germany next month, and I'm wondering - how's the offline Maps feature in Android 4.1? Will I be able to get transit directions through it?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
As a German, I'm sad to report that Google Maps knows jack poo poo about transit in Germany. They've only recently started incorporating regional trains and S-Bahnen. There's no info on public transit like busses and subways. This makes me especially sad because I love the concept of Google Now; it's just useless in Germany right now.

There is, however, this sweet app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.oeffi&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImRlLnNjaGlsZGJhY2gub2VmZmkiXQ..
It has many great features, like letting you download maps of transit networks, showing you the distance to the closest stops, when trains/busses leave from there, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I think the problem is google-side not the album grabber side. You will need to remove the music from your google play and re-upload the files with the embedded album art.

actually you can just edit it on the desktop site.

Primworm posted:

What do you mean? Other than the free tracks and albums I grab from google, I put all my music on my SD card. Are you telling me there is a google cloud service for music?

I am guessing i probably have to put an album art.jpg into the folder in my case, i was just hoping there was an app to do it for me.

just look up album art in the play store.

• Locked thread